• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Will use that free for 7 days to try Mass Effect if it's still on offer during that

Definitely a SEGA weekend sale because of the Make War Not Love thing

I love how they prominently display a Battlefield 1 image when it's not even on the service.

Well you get to play 10 hours of it don't you?

Anteater

when is the next sale? I need to buy tits 2

fuck sega, where're my new pc ports?

where's my yakuza 0?

where's vanquish and bayonetta?

WHERE

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
6 hours into song of the deep, not sure how long I have left (I just
found my dad's boat but then got eaten by some sort of evil ship
), im exploring a lot so thats probably inflating it since HLTB says the average is...6 hours lol.

Although people might be going by the in game clock tho, which as usual, doesnt count deaths. My in game is at like 4:30 or whatever. Really liking it tho, gets my metroidvania seal of aproval.

Lanrutcon

Can someone help me identify a game?

It's a pixel art space game, where you have a small fleet of ships (I think 1 to 3). Combat is seen from the side, with your ships forming the left side of the screen and the enemy forming the right. Combat is turn based. There's some kind of management aspect outside of fleet management as well.

I've searched for "FTL likes" (closest thing I can think of) but no luck. I saw the game a month or three ago on some youtuber's channel. He was trying the Early Access version.

Anyone have an idea?

Will use that free for 7 days to try Mass Effect if it's still on offer during that

Well you get to play 10 hours of it don't you?

Access version wouldn't be until the 15th or 16th probably so offer would be over then

usually it's 10 hours of playtime but they could have some content walled off for the full launch...I'd imagine they'll have full details up in the next few weeks

I'll pay the $5 to do a month of time so I can test it...haven't made up my mind plus I'm trying to save for building a PC so a lot of games will have to wait on sales

Tizoc

Are all puzzles in The Witness the same? Like on screenshots above, or there is some variety?
Also are they hard to solve?

It takes the simple concept of drawing lines and makes a large game about solving puzzles involving drawing lines.

It's a pixel art space game, where you have a small fleet of ships (I think 1 to 3). Combat is seen from the side, with your ships forming the left side of the screen and the enemy forming the right. Combat is turn based. There's some kind of management aspect outside of fleet management as well.

I've searched for "FTL likes" (closest thing I can think of) but no luck. I saw the game a month or three ago on some youtuber's channel. He was trying the Early Access version.

Anyone have an idea?

?

dex3108

Yeah Prey previews sound great. It looks like that Bethesda will release one of the best FPS games of the year for the third year in a row.

Jawmuncher

Yeah Prey previews sound great. It looks like that Bethesda will release one of the best FPS games of the year for the third year in a row.

Still dunno why this couldn't have used a different name or made this a reboot that plays the same as it is.its whatever though.

Ludens

Banned
The Witness would be so much better with a soundtrack. The world feels so empty, so fake without one, it's all too static in my opinion.

Vlad

Hm, I'll probably start again in Free Mode in Subnautica.
No way I can survive in Survival Mode when I can't even find or make myself some water, much less food.

Your early source of food is going to be the small fish that are swimming everywhere around your life pod. You can just swim right up to them and grab them. From there, you can either eat them raw, cook them, or cure them. Cooked and cured fish are made in the fabricator on the life pod. Cooked fish will generally refill some amount of your food and water meters but go bad eventually, while cured fish (you'll need salt for this, too) don't go bad, but will drain your water meter a little bit.

One of the species of small fish is called a bladderfish. You can use these in the fabricator to make filtered water instead of eating them. There's also a recipe in the fabricator for making disinfected water, but I don't remember what you need for that.

Also, one of the first things you'll want to make are some flippers. They'll let you swim a little faster, which makes catching all the small fish a lot easier. Near where you start, you'll see what looks like a kelp forest. Swim over there and grab a few of the glowing seed clusters on the vines. You can craft those into flippers.

JarrodL

Steam just made it HARDER to find new releases

Previously in Steam’s most recent incarnation, if you wanted to know what new games had been released that day, you had to scroll two screens down on the front page to the “Popular New Releases” list. Again, this excluded anything that wasn’t already selling, but there was a tiny text button beneath that said, “See All New Releases”. Click on that, and then check the tick box next to “Games” in the right column to remove the films, apps and mostly DLC that dominate the list (if you think I’m exaggerating, check the screens below), and you would finally get to see that day’s new games.

Now the process is this:

Scroll two screens down on the front page to the buried list of Popular New Releases (or guess which of the text links marked “New Releases” is actually real)

Click on “See more: New Releases”

Scroll a full screen down to see a list of “Popular New Releases”

Click the tab for “New Releases”

Scroll down and click on “See more: All New Releases”

Tick the “Games” tab on the right side to remove the DLC, apps, films, etc

And finally you can see what’s there

I just checked and wow, they really did update it to be like this since yesterday. Holy shit, Valve, you're bad at this.

Pixieking

Banned

I just checked and wow, they really did update it to be like this since yesterday. Holy shit, Valve, you're bad at this.

No?

Scroll Down about 2 screens, until you hit the header "Browse Steam". Under that, you'll see a Tab called "New Releases". Click that.

Scroll halfway down that page, click "New Releases". Scroll to the bottom, hit "All New Releases"

People are so used to doing it the old way, they ignore the new row of tabs, one of which goes to a New Releases page.

Not that it'll do anything, but I logged into RPS just so I could post that. It'll get ignored, but whatevers.

Lomax

It was their own fault. They followed the Indiegala route of pushing multiple bundles every week which led to a dive in the average quality of the games being sold.
That being said, the fact that Steam opened the flood gates allowed Groupees and IG to behave the way they did.

Personally, I'll wait to see what each bundle offers and then decide if it's worth the purchase or not. Here's hoping I'll finally find a use for my $10 coin...

Honestly I think the success of the greenlight bundles misled Groupees down the wrong path, there was a time I was buying basically every bundle they released, and early greenlight bundles usually had one or two things I wanted, but then it started to be "this stuff is unbundled before" and for a while that matter but then that stuff became garbage at a much higher rate than before and they clearly list some of their prior publisher contacts and everything kinda fell apart.

Basically the bundle bubble popped and the places that also had stores to maintain publisher contacts managed to somewhere survive but the places that didn't have had to resort to worse and worse content which led to lower and lower sales and thus worse and worse content.

Anyone have an idea?

Sounds a lot like Gratuitous Space Battles but that isn't recent.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I was just saying the other day (yesterday?) that I fully expected Valve to remove the "New releases" section from the home page all together in the next update. Looks like they did it sooner rather than later.

Thankfully, Enhanced Steam still has it's "New Releases" tab that can show everything (and be customized to include or hide things like DLC, demos, etc). I'll look into adding the search shortcut for "all new releases" back to the homepage from there.

JarrodL

No?

Scroll Down about 2 screens, until you hit the header "Browse Steam". Under that, you'll see a Tab called "New Releases". Click that.

Scroll halfway down that page, click "New Releases". Scroll to the bottom, hit "All New Releases"

People are so used to doing it the old way, they ignore the new row of tabs, one of which goes to a New Releases page.

Not that it'll do anything, but I logged into RPS just so I could post that. It'll get ignored, but whatevers.

Are you sure you aren't using Enhanced Steam to do that? Because there's currently no "New Releases" tab in the Steam client itself. Only "Popular New Releases".

Pixieking

Banned
Reposting the pic, actually

ceCYRAF.jpg

Same place on the client. Though I'm not sure if this is what people mean by "New Releases". I also have the usual list of Popular New Releases, etc. below this. And, nope, not using Enhanced Steam.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Was it JaseC or JShackles that was going to play RE7 this weekend? I wanted to hear impressions.

That was me - I was going to rent it from Redbox. Unfortunately I got sidetracked and spent almost 30 hours playing Watch_Dogs 2. Might play it this weekend though.

Same place on the client. Though I'm not sure if this is what people mean by "New Releases". I also have the usual list of Popular New Releases, etc. below this. And, nope, not using Enhanced Steam.

The problem is the same - this button used to go to a search page that actually listed all the new releases. Now it goes here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

ceCYRAF.jpg

You can also just click "New Releases" under Browse Categories in the side menu that sits near the top of the page. The option to view All New Releases is gone from the front page, but it's hardly buried.

Today's newest Bundlestars bundle is The Neon Bundle.

It has:

- The Tale of Doris and the Dragon - Episode 1
- Reflex + Soundtrack Pack
- Dark Fear
- Townsmen
- Survivor Squad: Gauntlets
- Slap The Fly
- Binaries
- Trebuchet
- In Celebration of Violence
- Fox & Flock
- Road to Ballhalla
- Razenroth

Pixieking

Banned
The problem is the same - this button used to go to a search page that actually listed all the new releases. Now it goes here.

Yeah, it's why I deleted my photo originally - I wasn't sure if that's what people meant. It does add an extra step, but to go all rage! at it, like I feel John Walker did in the link is just a bit much. And he is going the long way now, even if the old short way doesn't exist anymore.

JarrodL

ceCYRAF.jpg

I see what you mean now, but that button takes you to the same place that the "New Releases" link on the bottom of the popular new titles does. There used to be another button there on the bottom, named "All New Releases". They essentially added another "loading screen" into the already ridiculous process of getting to that release list.

jshackles

woopsie daisy

Well I mean - not all at once. Like six hours Friday night, followed by about 14 hours on Saturday and another 10 on Sunday. Game's alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom