• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I see what you mean now, but that button takes you to the same place that the "New Releases" link on the bottom of the popular new titles does. There used to be another button there on the bottom, named "All New Releases". They essentially added another "loading screen" into the already ridiculous process of getting to that release list.

Yeah, it's an extra-step, for sure. But, as I say above, John Walker having an almost-heart attack about it is a bit weird.

Personally, I'm wondering why they did it - it seems like something that has a purpose behind it other than anatagonise RPS. :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I see what you mean now, but that button takes you to the same place that the "New Releases" link on the bottom of the popular new titles does. There used to be another button right next to it, named "All New Releases". They added another "loading screen" into the already ridiculous process.

Walker is essentially complaining about two extra clicks. You can get to the New Releases page without having to scroll as it's right there in the side menu, under Browse Categories, and from there it's just a matter of clicking the "New Releases" tab and then "All New Releases". I mean, the change doesn't make much sense, but Walker is making a mountain out of an anthill here -- it's a slight inconvenience at worst as the list is still located in a logical place and very easy to find.

JarrodL

Walker is essentially complaining about two extra clicks. You can get to the New Releases page without having to scroll as it's right there in the side menu, under Browse Categories, and from there it's just a matter of clicking the "New Releases" tab and then "All New Releases". It's a slight inconvenience at worst.

It's an inconvenience to store users like me and you, but it may be a lot more serious for a lot of smaller / indie games on the storefront already starving for release exposure. The process of checking what games released today shouldn't be inconvenient at all, otherwise most people simply won't bother with it and stick to the more readily available popular release list. Valve took an already inconvenient process and pushed the dial even further with this update.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's an inconvenience to store users like me and you, but it may be a lot more serious for a lot of smaller / indie games on the storefront already starving for release exposure. The process of checking what games released today shouldn't be inconvenient at all, otherwise most people simply won't bother with it and stick to the more readily available popular release list.

I agree that it's not a change for the better, but it's really not as bad as you and Walker seem to believe it is. The notion that it's going to adversely impact any developer is rather absurd; the people who used the All New Releases list before will know how to find it now as it's not actually buried away in some out-of-the-way place that's difficult to find. Contrary to what Walker asserts, you don't need to scroll to find a link to the New Releases page, and once you're there, you're in familiar territory as the tabs are just a short scroll away. They've barely been moved at all when you consider that they were previously halfway down the front page, well past the opening carousel/recommendations/deals area.

Walker's outrage here would have been put to better use when Valve replaced New Releases with Popular New Releases as suddenly your new release was no longer shown on the front page unless it satisfied a popularity criteria.

Lomax

Does buying Mortal Kombat XL have all the characters and skins?

All but one "cosplay" skin pack for some reason, but everything you'd ever want and all the actual game content. It's a great deal now around $10. I got like 8 hours out of the story mode alone.

It's an inconvenience to store users like me and you, but it may be a lot more serious for a lot of smaller / indie games on the storefront already starving for release exposure. The process of checking what games released today shouldn't be inconvenient at all, otherwise most people simply won't bother with it and stick to the more readily available popular release list. Valve took an already inconvenient process and pushed the dial even further with this update.

I don't really believe it's going to have that much of an impact but even if it did. It is not Valves job to advertise these games. They should be doing it themselves.

All but one "cosplay" skin pack for some reason, but everything you'd ever want and all the actual game content. It's a great deal now around $10. I got like 8 hours out of the story mode alone.

I have both Kombat Packs and I'm missing three costume DLCs, not counting the ones that require playing the mobile version.

bbd23

just bought homefront the revolution for 10 canadian dollars......been interested since the reveal but the launch seemed pretty bad. Looks like they have been dedicated to patching it though.

40GB download though....damn my mediocre internet

Amzin

One of the fundamental rules of UX is not to add clicks in between users and content. But Steam has been pretty far from following general UX guidelines for a while :p

Blu(e)

XL version is the game plus the 2 Kombat Packs...so that's all of the characters but maybe not all of the skins

some of the standalone skins may not be included with those

All the characters, but not all the skins.
I'm trying to get the most complete package for the game from bundlestars but I'm not sure.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/mortal-kombat-x-fatality-bundle
This looks like this is the most complete but it's double the price for the Krypt unlock and one extra skin.

I have both Kombat Packs and I'm missing three costume DLCs, not counting the ones that require playing the mobile version.
What three are you exactly missing?

Lomax

Okay, yeah, it's missing the blue steel sub zero and crimson ermac skins too. Seems odd they left those out, since it's literally 5 skins out of hundreds. And you don't get the "unlock all crypt" package either of course, but that's how it should be.

I'm trying to get the most complete package for the game from bundlestars but I'm not sure.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/mortal-kombat-x-fatality-bundle
This looks like this is the most complete but it's double the price for the Krypt unlock and one extra skin.

Don't pay $23 for XL, it's been $13 on steam and $10 on bundlestars before. Unless you really really want the unlock all crypt dlc. That bundle does have blue steel sub zero which isn't in XL, but it doesn't have the cosplay pack or crimson ermac.

Edit: it's $10 on bundlestars right now, buy that one.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/mortal-kombat-xl

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
just bought homefront the revolution for 10 canadian dollars......been interested since the reveal but the launch seemed pretty bad. Looks like they have been dedicated to patching it though.

40GB download though....damn my mediocre internet

I played the single-player portion when they had the "free weekend" after the big performance patch came out. The game was a lot of fun and definitely worthy of your 10 canadabucks. The game had a rough launch but it's definitely improved since then.

Blu(e)

Okay, yeah, it's missing the blue steel sub zero and crimson ermac skins too. Seems odd they left those out, since it's literally 5 skins out of hundreds. And you don't get the "unlock all crypt" package either of course, but that's how it should be.

Don't pay $23 for XL, it's been $13 on steam and $10 on bundlestars before. Unless you really really want the unlock all crypt dlc. That bundle does have blue steel sub zero which isn't in XL, but it doesn't have the cosplay pack or crimson ermac.
Yeah it's actually on sale for $10 https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/mortal-kombat-xl.
I just thought it was weird that the first bundle I linked is double the price for just the Krypt unlock and one skin. Was wondering if I missed something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why oh why oh why would you put a zone with unkillable mobs that kill you in one hit if they see you, and you cant even outrun them if they see you.

why Insomniac, why? Whats the thought process the dev goes through, honestly?

talking about Song of the Deep btw

edit: actually its not so bad once I realised you
cant use lights there
, thats kinda cute, still a overall shit mechanic in games, but ill give them points for that.

One of the fundamental rules of UX is not to add clicks in between users and content. But Steam has been pretty far from following general UX guidelines for a while :p

This is misapplied. Steam has far too much content to put every possible (or even the top 250 most popular actions) action within a single click. It's clear they're making opinionated decisions on what to make quickly available - that being a personalized list of what is new or trending, not an unfiltered list of new stuff. I'd expect that's driven by user data showing that looking at such a list doesn't drive consumer interest or spending.

It's the same way Amazon has an "all products" list but doesn't put it front and center. There's just no way to make that much content available at all times with a simple UX in the common sense.

Ascheroth

Your early source of food is going to be the small fish that are swimming everywhere around your life pod. You can just swim right up to them and grab them. From there, you can either eat them raw, cook them, or cure them. Cooked and cured fish are made in the fabricator on the life pod. Cooked fish will generally refill some amount of your food and water meters but go bad eventually, while cured fish (you'll need salt for this, too) don't go bad, but will drain your water meter a little bit.

One of the species of small fish is called a bladderfish. You can use these in the fabricator to make filtered water instead of eating them. There's also a recipe in the fabricator for making disinfected water, but I don't remember what you need for that.

Also, one of the first things you'll want to make are some flippers. They'll let you swim a little faster, which makes catching all the small fish a lot easier. Near where you start, you'll see what looks like a kelp forest. Swim over there and grab a few of the glowing seed clusters on the vines. You can craft those into flippers.

Thanks for that!
I never got close enough to the little fish to see the prompt, so I just kinda assumed they were only there as deco or I needed a tool.
I saw the disinfected water in the fabricator as well, which is why I assumed that this would be my normal watersource, but I was lacking materials here as well.

In hindsight it makes total sense, though :p

Amzin

This is misapplied. Steam has far too much content to put every possible (or even the top 250 most popular actions) action within a single click. It's clear they're making opinionated decisions on what to make quickly available - that being a personalized list of what is new or trending, not an unfiltered list of new stuff. I'd expect that's driven by user data showing that looking at such a list doesn't drive consumer interest or spending.

It's the same way Amazon has an "all products" list but doesn't put it front and center. There's just no way to make that much content available at all times with a simple UX in the common sense.

Amazon's not the ideal example either, they have a lot of things they could streamline in their page, HOWEVER, Amazon does a lot of internal advertising and content highlighting in those in-between / reloading bits. Steam doesn't. They shouldn't be taking things that people are used to and incrementally making them more difficult to reach.

It's certainly true that sometimes adding layers / clicks / work to reach something is required or even smart, but this just seems like another dumb half-measure partial-update from the users' perspective.

Edit: Also, this isn't even an "all content" thing, this is a specific and already sort-of called out subset of content that frankly I would EXPECT people to want to access easily.

MUnited83

For you.
Detective Jenkins is great, really wish there was a contradiction 2.

I'm surprised that a sequel was never announced. Like, the game was quite sucessful. It might be one of the titles that has one of the bigger number positive reviews per copy sold ratio in steam. Most people got it from the steam store too.

gabbo

I was just saying the other day (yesterday?) that I fully expected Valve to remove the "New releases" section from the home page all together in the next update. Looks like they did it sooner rather than later.

Thankfully, Enhanced Steam still has it's "New Releases" tab that can show everything (and be customized to include or hide things like DLC, demos, etc). I'll look into adding the search shortcut for "all new releases" back to the homepage from there.
If only the client could include enhanced steam to fix Valve's mess.

Amazon's not the ideal example either, they have a lot of things they could streamline in their page, HOWEVER, Amazon does a lot of internal advertising and content highlighting in those in-between / reloading bits. Steam doesn't. They shouldn't be taking things that people are used to and incrementally making them more difficult to reach.

It's certainly true that sometimes adding layers / clicks / work to reach something is required or even smart, but this just seems like another dumb half-measure partial-update from the users' perspective.

Edit: Also, this isn't even an "all content" thing, this is a specific and already sort-of called out subset of content that frankly I would EXPECT people to want to access easily.

They should absolutely be removing things from the main page if they're not useful or part of Valve's vision for how Steam should be used. That's the whole point of UX, especially when the product contains such a vast array of products like Steam does. You remove useless things to make space or provide a more guided experience to better tools.

I would not expect to access every new release on Steam on the front page in the same way I wouldn't expect a list of every new kindle book on amazon's kindle store. Sounds tedious and useless as the store grows. I would expect to find the option available if I hit a few filters though, which is indeed the case.

Tizoc

I'm surprised that a sequel was never announced. Like, the game was quite sucessful. It might be one of the titles that has one of the bigger number positive reviews per copy sold ratio in steam. Most people got it from the steam store too.

I wonder if anything happened to the studio or the team behind the game...
FYI Contradiction hasn't been on sale in...well over a year, and I have been checking out that game on every storefront that has a weekly sale offer and no Contradiction discount :X

Lomax

I wonder if Steam's recommendation system is actually good for people with like, 20 games. Because it seems terrible to me. A good recommendation system is far more important than simple release lists, which is why Netflix has sunk so much money into theirs.

Grief.exe

Anyone have a copy of Rust from that Humble Bundle?

I gave my copy away on Modbot and now I want an alt account so I don't have hundreds of hours of Rust filling up my main account page.

Blue Steel Sub-Zero and Krimson Ermac are separate, because the money from those went into the prize pool for MKX e-sports.

Still don't know why we didn't get the Kosplay Pack included with Pack 2, but it is available to buy on its' own.

Ludens

Banned
I prefer Talos to Witness, dunno. It's not bad, but the world feels really fakish to me.
It lacks a soul, even if visuals are beautiful, you see them and pass on, there's not a "let's discover what is going on this strange world" feeling for me, it's more "let's do line puzzles".

Wok

Anyone have a copy of Rust from that Humble Bundle?

I gave my copy away on Modbot and now I want an alt account so I don't have hundreds of hours of Rust filling up my main account page.

I already wrote that I have a copy.

Edit: I need to check my in-game size before I can send it away. I might need another copy since some things (🍆) are arbitrary and annoying:

IokLshC.png

gq5Chly.png

I prefer Talos to Witness, dunno. It's not bad, but the world feels really fakish to me.
It lacks a soul, even if visuals are beautiful, you see them and pass on, there's not a "let's discover what is going on this strange world" feeling for me, it's more "let's do line puzzles".

Huh, I feel the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom