• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because Hinterlands was designed to have you come back at later levels to finish the area, but you could brute force completion of the zone, which overleveled you for the next couple of following areas. But, lets not get facts in the way of my persecution complex.

Even then DA:I is a MMO thats not a MMO. Thats the biggest flaw of the game and ME:A looks eerily similar to that design philosophy.

I actually do doubt that they have the talent to do it. I also doubt that they have the humility to recognize mistakes in their games and to learn from others.

I remember when Inquisition came out some Bioware developer on Twitter was urging players to leave the Hinterlands and move further. Think about it. A developer straight up telling you that the content they made is not worth playing and is a waste of the player's time. I can guarantee you that same developer believes that Inquisition is game of the year material. You cannot learn from mistakes if you do not believe you have made mistakes.

This actually is a much bigger problem than just Bioware.

Like, Bioware would be right to have that kind of faith in DAI because... it won those Game of the Year awards; they have no reason to doubt its quality. It's a clear message that that kind of empty game design--just hinterlands after hinterlands, with absolutely no mechanical or stylistic substance to back up all of the content--is the right direction to take. (Well, aside from the Bioware trademark motley crew of companions and vague world-ending threat binding them all together.) It's monkey paw success.

So if ME:A is just another one of those, it's a self-inflicted wound not by Bioware, but the industry and community at large.

They can only react to criticism that reaches them. And awards always triumph over words.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's funny to me that any part of GAF still deludes themselves into thinking they are the target market for basically any big budget game.
yup

I miss when AAA games used to be gamey instead of aiming all the time for cinematic experiences and realistic visual aesthetics. At least indies and some other teams can cover what I want in terms of variety and gamey aspects but meh I need some more AAA people besides Nintendo to pull more games like the old times.

200.gif
my biggest issue with the "cinematic experience" isn't as much that it exists, but how cynically unoriginal and unprepared for what it sets itself to depict is. like i would love if all this pixel perfect war and violence set to dramatic music and slow motion that all looks very pretty and is very effective at pretending it's saying something would actually say something

and heck even in the games they get it right (like idk the last of us), i still find myself bored from the same themes being brought up over and over again

hyperrealism and cinematography could be used for so much other stuff than violence, but aaa games are way too obsessed about it for my taste

We can start by talking about how ME3 is forgivable then.
To this day I have never watched the extended endings, and I still am not very upset about the endings. I enjoyed the ride and that's what really mattered. ME3 had a lot of great moments, and I didn't mind the more linear approach it had. I prefer my ME as a shooter with lite RPG mechanics really.
there's so much about that game that's super wrong, i know some people were really put off by the ending but honestly i was super mad at the game long before that:
- so many recycled arena fights
- terrible deus ex machina story that kind of disregards everything that happened before while adding some of the worst characters in the series and that fucking galactic space baby
- lack of proper rpg towns and sidequests, the overhearing stuff was just ridiculously jarring and lacked all kinds of normal sidequesting satisfaction
- in previous mass effect games, normally when shepard talked it was u picking a choice for her. in me3 she talks half the time on her own, and when u get a choice you're often given way less choices than in previous games
- also shepard is a fucking wimp in me3. my shep was the biggest hottest motherfucker in the galaxy, this game she spends all her time crying about some whatever rando kid and having nightmares and shit. who the fuck are you and what did you do with my strong confident shepard
- it might be a cliche but holy fuck that ending

i don't mind the game being more "shootery", i found the combat to be pretty fun and some of the character progression stuff to be improvements and they do some good stuff with some characters but yeah, me3 is hot garbage, specially as the culmination of a series that i followed for many years and developed a really strong bond to

i hope they right all those wrongs with this one, mass effect is cool

Jawmuncher

yup

my biggest issue with the "cinematic experience" isn't as much that it exists, but how cynically unoriginal and unprepared for what it sets itself to depict is. like i would love if all this pixel perfect war and violence set to dramatic music and slow motion that all looks very pretty and is very effective at pretending it's saying something would actually say something

and heck even in the games they get it right (like idk the last of us), i still find myself bored from the same themes being brought up over and over again

hyperrealism and cinematography could be used for so much other stuff than violence, but aaa games are way too obsessed about it for my taste

there's so much about that game that's super wrong, i know some people were really put off by the ending but honestly i was super mad at the game long before that:
- terrible deus ex machina story that kind of disregards everything that happened before while adding some of the worst characters in the series and that fucking galactic space baby
- lack of proper rpg towns and sidequests, the overhearing stuff was just ridiculously jarring and lacked all kinds of normal sidequesting satisfaction
- in previous mass effect games, normally when shepard talked it was u picking a choice for her. in me3 she talks half the time on her own, and when u get a choice you're often given way less choices than in previous games
- also shepard is a fucking wimp in me3. my shep was the biggest hottest motherfucker in the galaxy, this game she spends all her time crying about some whatever rando kid and having nightmares and shit. who the fuck are you and what did you do with my strong confident shepard

i don't mind the game being more "shootery", i found the combat to be pretty fun and some of the character progression stuff to be improvements and they do some good stuff with some characters but yeah, me3 is hot garbage, specially as the culmination of a series that i followed for many years and developed a really strong bond to

The bolded is the one thing I forgot about, and can say I absolutely agree with you on. The choices were definitely lacking in ME3 compared to 1 and 2. The basically made every choice "good" or "bad" and left it at that, which was saddening compared to the more gray options you were able to use prior.

Khronico

yup

The two points bolded where my biggest problem with ME3. There are so many points in conversations where Shepard will make dialogue choices completely out of your control. Because of that dialogue feels really linear compared to previous games. This was really noticeable if you played the trilogy back to back.

The whole child subplot was a travesty and an embarrassment for the franchise. Playing a renegade, no nonsense Shepard who suddenly feels bad for some kid because reasons is directly contradicting the way I want my Shepard to be. MAN, IT STILL MAKES ME MAD.

All that being said, I'm willing to give Bioware one more chance with ME:A and plan on getting it day one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bbd23

ME1 aged pretty bad on PC so I never got into the series....I look forward to giving EA/Bioware my money for andromeda next month because fuck square and their marketing!

BasilZero

I made a DS4Windows profile for it when I played it. You can use it if you want.

https://www.mediafire.com/?pn6dtj87ffq781k

Is this similar to MotionJoy or w/e its called for PS3 controller on PC :X?

I gather that the devs are aware that the controller support isn't working for everyone, but I don't think that there are any current plans for an 'official' fix, sadly. For me, an Xbox One controller wouldn't work properly, but it was fine with a Dualshock 4.

I'm sure they do....unless they dont visit the Steam discussion page for the game, when majority of the threads are about controller support being broken across all controllers and various fixes work with few people and with others nothing (like me)......yikes.

Finished up Oxenfree just now before Torment and Nier hits. Not bad! Alex sounded like Chie and it had good pacing and the dialogue never went bland and groan-worthy. Aight story, good organic dialogue choice mechanic. Thumbs up.

Giant Bomb Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Quick Look EX

Or at Youtube if you don't want to use their new player.

Continues to look real nice.

The remix of the music is aces. Excellent mixing and tone.

KarmaCow

Am I crazy or is there significant input lag in DS2:SotFS? It's been a long time since I played DS2 and I never really played the rerelease but everything feels laggy.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of fenners, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Sword Trilogy -- MB-9BABF19407BC3039 - Taken by Jadax. 3 entrants total.
Doorways: Holy Mountains of Flesh -- MB-E7AA3AB612ED859C - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 2 entrants total.
Pix the Cat -- MB-C850DAF9D3CE1E9F - Taken by claytonlee101. 3 entrants total.
PixelJunk Nom Nom Galaxy- -- MB-F869AC16F3376F53 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 6 entrants total.
Tricky Towers -- MB-EC7E6F6D39334633 - Taken by rainking187. 4 entrants total.

t1488177277z1.png

Tagyhag

So I found out the problem with games looking sharper whenever I moved the camera around in them, it's a setting in my monitor called "OD/Overdrive".

The weird thing is that it was already off by default...I had to turn it on and then back off, hopefully it stays like that because if I have to do that every time I play a new game it's going to get really annoying.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuuuuuuuu yaaaaaaaaaaaas! Play the hell out of this game as a kid!

Wonder Boy in Monster World was my favourite game for years. I'd say I've finished it at least two dozen times. I've vague recollections of playing one of the games on the ol' Master System, but I'm not entirely sure if it was Dragon's Trap. The cover does ring a loud bell, though.

Knurek

God, Ryse has some terrible stutter whenever it streams assets.
Like, godawful terrible.
Neither of the fixes mentioned online seems to do anything.
After the glory of Abzu @ 120 fps, it just feels so... so terrible.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finished Bald Mountain in Witcher 3 and the game is starting to drag. Too much serious omen shit, slow shots, slow conversations where the characters just feel everything but say little to each other, same tired ass music that has been playing the whole game, big boss fights are intimate and quiet rather than bombastic... shit needs to wrap up quick, and I hope the expansions get more sassy and fun again. Witcher 2 was better at keeping intrigue and plot twists and stuff to keep it fresh.

Finished Bald Mountain in Witcher 3 and the game is starting to drag. Too much serious omen shit, slow shots, slow conversations where the characters just feel everything but say little to each other, same tired ass music that has been playing the whole game, big boss fights are intimate and quiet rather than bombastic... shit needs to wrap up quick, and I hope the expansions get more sassy and fun again. Witcher 2 was better at keeping intrigue and plot twists and stuff to keep it fresh.

Don't forget to eat the magic acorn!

Am I crazy or is there significant input lag in DS2:SotFS? It's been a long time since I played DS2 and I never really played the rerelease but everything feels laggy.

That's just the way the controls are designed in that game. Among many reasons why it's the worst Souls.

Arulan

I don't know about Scholar of the First Sin, but the original game had an intended delay on mouse attacks (perhaps more, I can't remember) due to double-click being a default keybind. You could fix this using AutoHotKey.

Echoplx

Ok so I've tried everything short of reinstalling windows to get Dark Souls 2 to work.

Can't get a refund because I bought it ages ago either.

Fuck.

Echoplx

What's your problem with it?

Edit: Oh... Crash on startup? Ummm... God knows how to fix that. Sorry. :(

Yeah it boots to a white window then a windows error pops up saying it crashed. Seems like it was pretty common but none of the solutions I've seen do anything for me.

Pixieking

Banned
Yeah it boots to a white window then a windows error pops up saying it crashed. Seems like it was pretty common but none of the solutions I've seen do anything for me.

This sounds vaguely familiar, actually... I think I hit this problem, but I played DS2 so long ago...

I think it might be something to do with trying to run full-screen?

Okay, found a readme I wrote to remind me. Not sure if this'll help (or if you've already tried something like it?)

I've edited the "GraphicsConfig_SOFS.xml" located in %appdata%\DarkSoulsII, setting the windowed resolution to 1920x1080.
Then I made it read-only, so the game can't reset the resolution.
Afterwards, setting the right coordinates in the "userconfig.properties" file located in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin\Game worked fine.
In my case, X = -10 and Y = -33 did the trick

Obviously, if your monitor resolution isn't 1080p, then change that bit. :p

Edit: That second bit about coordinates is because the window wasn't centred on the monitor. Not sure if you'll face that problem, and if you do whether my offset will be the same as the one you need. But should help you if this is your issue.

Edit 2:

Unrelated, but Rob Fearon (Death Ray Manta dev) is moving his work over to a new domain and server: We Punch Robots

Why are we talking about an Origin game on here? :3

I don't have any beef with BioWare but I just haven't played any of their stuff since their transition to Origin. I was going to consider double dipping on the Mass Effect games but with the whole wacky BioWare points they had for those I'd rather not bother. I loved Mass Effect, and I got and played 2 on release, but I never delved into the DLC for 2 and I have yet to get 3. Don't know if I'll ever muster the care to.

So I found out the problem with games looking sharper whenever I moved the camera around in them, it's a setting in my monitor called "OD/Overdrive".

The weird thing is that it was already off by default...I had to turn it on and then back off, hopefully it stays like that because if I have to do that every time I play a new game it's going to get really annoying.
That's what it sounded like the issue was, what you were describing sounded like OD artifacting. The setting is really dependent on a monitor to monitor basis, it's used to reduce blurring but can induce overshooting and trails.

pQfIlWj.jpg

So the OD setting doesn't reset itself after every game...But it resets itself whenever I shut off the PC.

That's messed up :|
Oof that's a hassle. What monitor is it?

Echoplx

This sounds vaguely familiar, actually... I think I hit this problem, but I played DS2 so long ago...

I think it might be something to do with trying to run full-screen?

Okay, found a readme I wrote to remind me. Not sure if this'll help (of if you've already tried something like it?)

Obviously, if your monitor resolution isn't 1080p, then change that bit. :p

I don't have those files because the game crashes before generating them haha :(

Can someone send me the files for the SOTFS edition?

Pixieking

Banned
I don't have those files because the game crashes before generating them haha :(

Can someone send me the files for the SOTFS edition?

I'll PM you Dropbox links to my files now. :)

Edit. Just sent you a PM, and just realised they're the corrected files, so you should be able to drop them in the folders and play? *fingers crossed*

Pixieking

Banned
Thanks for the links unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix it, I don't think the game even gets to the stage where it reads those files.

giphy.gif

Bummer. :(

Oh! Oh!

Ummmm...

Right, this may not work for DS2, because it's a fix for DS1 startup.

Dark Souls 1 has (had? Maybe fixed?) an issue where it would throw a tantrum at my monitor resolution - anything above 60hz at full-screen it doesn't like. And my monitor is 75hz. So, I plugged my laptop into the TV (60hz), booted DS1, and then went into the settings to change it to windowed mode. This fixed it.

Again, may not work because it's a DS1 fix. But worth trying if you can get to a TV and the required cables? All you need is to get it running that first time, I think. :/

zkylon

zkylewd
1JaHiIb.png

with only one steambot left and only one bullet left i closed my eyes and figured it was all over. turns out it was, as billy gets his first critical hit in my entire run and takes out the final boss, destroying with it the 15 or so other robots that were about to turn him to scrap

steamworld heist is a really good game, full of amazing moments like that that come out of the fact that you have to aim by yourself. sometimes you'll want to tear your hear out because an unlucky bounce managed to curve a bullet just enough that it hit the red barrel right next to your sniper but that's just its classic x-comyness rearing its face

i really liked pretty much all about it, i loved the light tone of the story and the party members were all fun and lively as is the general universe with all its silly factions and npcs and music and everything

the combat gets a bit repetitive by the end and i wish the game told you what kind of mission you were getting into so you could get the right people for the job, but it's a great game, really enjoyable combat that's challenging but you can also grind it out or just bump down (or up) the difficulty at any time, it's great

Echoplx

Bummer. :(

Oh! Oh!

Ummmm...

Right, this may not work for DS2, because it's a fix for DS1 startup.

Dark Souls 1 has (had? Maybe fixed?) an issue where it would throw a tantrum at my monitor resolution - anything above 60hz at full-screen it doesn't like. And my monitor is 75hz. So, I plugged my laptop into the TV (60hz), booted DS1, and then went into the settings to change it to windowed mode. This fixed it.

Again, may not work because it's a DS1 fix. But worth trying if you can get to a TV and the required cables? All you need is to get it running that first time, I think. :/

Moved my PC to the lounge and tried the TV there, still crashing.

I'm calling it, it's over.

Thanks for the help anyway!

liezryou

Sup baes long time no see. So i finally have some spare time (and a new computer finally) to get through all the games I've missed in the last couple of years. Does steam still have runtime restrictions on all games from low cost regions or is it just activation restrictions now? Is the cheap steam dream over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom