• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Small little game of mine, Red Haze, releases on Monday only for $1.99. Here's a little giveaway, only one I'll do for it for now.

Red Haze

You know, my dear, it isn't safe... To wander and creep while oh so weak. In the abandoned, the rotten, the decayed. Society has forgotten you; it won't lift a finger for that which is tossed away. You're just prey that the true prowlers who lay in shadows await to feast upon.

Falling into the dark pits of society, Rockette turned to drugs to give meaning to her miserable existence. Squatting in an old apartment complex, she finds herself at her last pump, and decides to venture from her shanty abode to locate her dealer, an older woman by the name of Aunti G. However, a creeping feeling takes hold; something is following her. A voice begins to talk to her from within the walls...

A semi-sequel to Close Your Eyes, something of a loose retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Featuring a cryptic, surreal, and morbid story where not everything is as it seems, perception is important, and choice matters.

-Something always watches you in the dark places of your mind; different people may perceive things differently.
-A harrowing experience featuring an original soundtrack & art.
-An unsettling and slowly-building atmosphere, paced to keep things interesting.
-A cryptic and harrowing tale exploring the dark corners of society.
-Voice acting that may be turned on or off.
-Multiple endings, many secrets, and multiple pathways support replayability.

What soft skin you have, my child...

---

Does have my doodily style for graphics, be happy when getting to a project an artist I'm working with tackles it more fully.

But I want to play it now.
Will buy if I don't win.

Teggy

Ow the edge

969fcf286547cfbf9b5e04ac2f3d93d8.jpg

Axass

The hype for this game is real. I better check it out.

Oooh, that game looks really nice and it's out in two weeks! (or maybe I wait for the Switch version).

Trailer reminded me of Ori so it's pretty much a must-buy, lol

I had very mild interested when it was first shown, but the later trailer sealed the deal. I can't get enough of Metroidvania 2D Indies, currently playing Guacamelee and I am loving it.

Will probably get the Switch version though, portability ftw.

You start above ground and work your way down like in the old Metroid games, along the way you meet and help characters, so that they open business above ground in the "hub city" like in Souls. There's a guy who sells hand-drawn maps (and it shows), that you can improve upon by visiting the areas yourself to chart them, and by buying pins to pinpoint important locations, like saves, heal fountains, "teleport" stations, etc...

Also when you die you lose your "money" and 1/4 of your max spirit, stuff you can get back if you reach the place where you died and defeat the shadow-like entity your death left in the place. Again, getting huge Souls vibes.

The spirit gauge is refilled killing enemies and can be consumed to fill back the "hearts" bar, which is your life. Nice mechanic.

The hand-drawn graphics are amazing, like the animations. The enemies are cute but menacing. The general insect-world theme oozes style.

You don't have to wait two years for a new game to hit $30. During Black Friday season it's often just a matter of weeks.

And when the prices are like that on Steam, I buy from there. If the price is comparable from Steam or GMG I'll buy it from there obviously, but most of the time the "grey market" has the real market beat by a good percentage. During the past winter sale I got Batman Arkham Oranges + all DLC for 7.50 on G2A, and it was near $20 on Steam.

I make an hourly wage so if I can save 12 bucks for nothing, I'm gonna do it. If WB really wanted that sale from me they'd have priced the season pass for the game accordingly.

Yakkue

And when the prices are like that on Steam, I buy from there. If the price is comparable from Steam or GMG I'll buy it from there obviously, but most of the time the "grey market" has the real market beat by a good percentage. During the past winter sale I got Batman Arkham Oranges + all DLC for 7.50 on G2A, and it was near $20 on Steam.

I make an hourly wage so if I can save 12 bucks for nothing, I'm gonna do it. If WB really wanted that sale from me they'd have priced the season pass for the game accordingly.

Just for future information, since you like saving: isthereanydeal.com shows you great deals for games across lots of stores. Batman Arkham Origins Season Pass was 4,79€ around christmas for example in WinGameStore. I think the Bundlestars Origins Complete Pack for 9,99€ was also around that time.

Vuze

Did a clean install. Problem still exists.
That's weird. Did you check your clocks while gaming? (using Afterburner or whatever)
Frankly I can't think of anything that could've caused it during cleaning. Maybe unplugged some power cable that causes throttling or sth. Hm

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Turnover -- MB-CB02F0FBBC587AAD - Taken by White Wolf. 12 entrants total.

t1486929754z1.png

Ladekabel

That's weird. Did you check your clocks while gaming? (using Afterburner or whatever)
Frankly I can't think of anything that could've caused it during cleaning. Maybe unplugged some power cable that causes throttling or sth. Hm

Check your temps. You might of unseated the CPU heatsink by accident. Also pull out and reinstall the GPU card.

I opened my PC and I noticed I messed up the attachments for the holes of the cooler. Can't really put it in anymore. Could that be the root of the problem?

L.O.R.D

Finished Abzû. The last area was really beautiful. Shame that the camera tended to swing really wildly in one part though, made me a little motion sick. Also unfortunate that it crashed 3 times.
---
Back to playing Tales of Zestiria. First "Tales of"-game I am playing, and I'm enjoying it a lot.
I just started playing abzu on my PS4 Pro,and OMG,this game make my PS4 Pro scream,this is the second game that does that.
Other then that,the game is super boring,i thought it's going to be like journey,but it worse.
The graphics is not even that nice and the camera is bad.
Those poor sea creatures have really low polygons counts.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Finally got round to preordering Marvel vs Capcom 3. First game I've preordered in a while.

Have they said what date the game is out? Hopefully not the 10th as that's my sister's birthday.

16731151_583684255161330_1320425335_n.png

Kagemusha

I nabbed Super Hot for $1.50 and I payed full price for Shovel Knight on release.

If a developer communicates that they have a hatred of bundles, I'll buy their game full price. If a developer communicates that they will maintain their MSRP, then I will pay full price. If a developer decides to partner with 505 games or Devolver, or Double Fine, then I'm sure as hell not going to pay a cent. I'm going to wait 90 days and get the game in a Humble Bundle and move their share to zero so they don't get a cent. I'll give the charity the entire $15.

These key sites aren't hurting anyone. Humble isn't hurting anyone. Naive developers who allow publishers to put their game in the bargain bin are hurting themselves. Steam is a platform that rewards developers who self-publish. Look at RimWorld, Shovel Knight, Factorio and the hundreds of other self-published games that have never been in bundles. They are doing fine. What's funny about SuperHot is their Steam page shows that they don't have a publisher. So either SuperHot is braindead or they got screwed by their CEO.

Just for future information, since you like saving: isthereanydeal.com shows you great deals for games across lots of stores. Batman Arkham Origins Season Pass was 4,79€ around christmas for example in WinGameStore. I think the Bundlestars Origins Complete Pack for 9,99€ was also around that time.

Bookmarked it, thanks. I was using steamgifts but they took their sales section away and focus on gifting only apparently.

zkylon

zkylewd
i guess it's to late to mention that g2a has scummed me over money before and that site is trash

avoid at all costs

I didnt feel it was unsatisfying at all, I loved the impact of the enemy weapons on your shield. I played tanky with 2hander and shield like I do in the Souls game tho. Magic was cool, the prison / dungeon / labyrinthian level was great, its was very pretty at the time, and im a huge Souls fanboy and don't live by the internet's highlander rule, there can in fact be more than one.

In fact, I dont think I ever did a "I dont like X becausr Y is better" post, thats just not how im wired.
yea me neither, that's why i focused on the things i didn't like about it rather than comparing it to dark souls

i basically didn't like how movement and combat felt, it's hard to explain but it felt sort of "laggy" and i hated the bosses and the random difficulty spikes and i very much hated everything about the story and characters

Thing is, it will still have terrible performance, like Pillars 1 did.
(It brought my old 970 to its knees on the highest quality setting)
hopefully not, but yeah, pillars 1 ran like crap

Lomax

lol @ relating buying games on discount to piracy. Exercise your right as a consumer, you're allowed to buy things that don't come directly from the maker (in this case, the publisher).

Anyway how is G2A any different from buying games from the GAF B/S/T thread? You can't prove the keys from that thread are stolen just like you can't prove the ones from G2A are.

I'd rather buy game X near launch for $30 than wait 2 years for it to be in a bundle with a bunch of other things I don't want tbh.

Legally there's no difference, and no one is saying G2A doesn't have a right to exist. But B/S/T is a community of gamers with a zero tolerance for fraud or people trying to exploit each other that is largely made up of people flipping excess duplicate keys. NeoGAF has also never been associated with large scale key thefts or credit card fraud, nor has it been disavowed by multiple publishers and developers.

And no, "I don't want to wait" isn't valid. We get that you have a budget, we all do. And obviously plenty of people here purchase from G2A, you aren't some sort of horrible or unique person for doing so. But don't delude yourself into acting like you have the moral high ground. Enjoy your deals, accept that they are at best gray morally, and understand they are harmful to the industry. It's as simple as that.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Ryse: Son of Rome -- MB-C11BC3C33B7BE202 - Taken by Purkake4
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition -- MB-82DA4CD8EBA5804E - Taken by Kiru
Doodle God -- MB-AA4E5DF2CCEF42ED - Taken by data
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West -- MB-47EB3C51DE7519BB - Taken by Hakkelus
Refunct -- MB-34D62569D14F3D7C - Taken by rainking187
XCOM: UFO Defense -- MB-13D9DE1BCF0FD731

tmarg

G2A new bundle thing

Was going to say it's probably stolen coming from there, but they're saying "straight from developers". What morons, why would you help legitimize a company that has actively hurt small devs in the past?

For what it's worth, if we know for sure this bundle is authorized by the devs, I don't have any problem with anyone taking advantage of it. I just think it's real dumb for them to do it.

Legally there's no difference, and no one is saying G2A doesn't have a right to exist. But B/S/T is a community of gamers with a zero tolerance for fraud or people trying to exploit each other that is largely made up of people flipping excess duplicate keys. NeoGAF has also never been associated with large scale key thefts or credit card fraud, nor has it been disavowed by multiple publishers and developers.

And no, "I don't want to wait" isn't valid. We get that you have a budget, we all do. And obviously plenty of people here purchase from G2A, you aren't some sort of horrible or unique person for doing so. But don't delude yourself into acting like you have the moral high ground. Enjoy your deals, accept that they are at best gray morally, and understand they are harmful to the industry. It's as simple as that.

Don't think I ever once did that. It's more the other way around in that people who don't use G2A act morally superior to those who do. Plenty of other great things like Redbox and used games are also harmful to the industry, but it keeps on going.

Lomax

Was going to say it's probably stolen coming from there, but they're saying "straight from developers". What morons, why would you help legitimize a company that has actively hurt small devs in the past?

In a certain sense, all keys that exist came "straight from the developers" and it's not like they're going to release a bundle saying they have keys obtained from secondhand or questionable sources, so I wouldn't really put much stock in what they are claiming either way. However, we still haven't heard anything from the publishers of those games regarding the legitimacy (or illegitimacy) of the bundle, which makes me think G2A has a pretty solid loophole regarding where they got the keys from (in bulk from IndieGala perhaps, or retail keys) which is enough to mean publishers can't stop them, but also means the publishers aren't going to help either. We all know how obnoxious the devs of Superhot pushed their game with quasi-viral marketing, but now they are suddenly silent. If they felt like this bundle was a good thing I'm sure we would have heard something by now.

Don't think I ever once did that. It's more the other way around in that people who don't use G2A act morally superior to those who do. Plenty of other great things like Redbox and used games are also harmful to the industry, but it keeps on going.

Fair enough, totally agree with you there.

tmarg

If they felt like this bundle was a good thing I'm sure we would have heard something by now.

I'd rather think the opposite, if I was a dev and someone was selling keys they claimed to have gotten directly from me, I'd speak up real quick if it wasn't true.

ArjanN

I nabbed Super Hot for $1.50 and I payed full price for Shovel Knight on release.

If a developer communicates that they have a hatred of bundles, I'll buy their game full price. If a developer communicates that they will maintain their MSRP, then I will pay full price. If a developer decides to partner with 505 games or Devolver, or Double Fine, then I'm sure as hell not going to pay a cent. I'm going to wait 90 days and get the game in a Humble Bundle and move their share to zero so they don't get a cent. I'll give the charity the entire $15.

That's seems...kinda weird and petty?

Lomax

I'd rather think the opposite, if I was a dev and someone was selling keys they claimed to have gotten directly from me, I'd speak up real quick if it wasn't true.

That's true, but it's not as simple because there are multiple parties who can put keys in bundles, so that's something that can take some investigation. We've seen several instances of games getting put into bundles by publishers without the developer's knowledge or consent.

That's seems...kinda weird and petty?

This is GAF, most reasoning here is weird and petty.

tmarg

My issue with g2a et al. isn't that they sell without authorization, per say, it's that they have repeatedly shown that they don't care if the things they sell were legally obtained. Buying things that were stolen is morally wrong, as is buying things that might have been stolen but you can't bother to check to be sure.

Tektonic

Maybe no-one is talking because they are too ashamed to admit they partnered with G2A. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

The whole boycotting sites, Devs, games situation leads to an interesting philosophical debate. Can your actions as an individual lead to any real, systemic change? I think over the last decade, many have seen the power of social media, the internet, grass roots activism as a way of actually making a difference.

But as the events of the last 6 months have shown, hmm, maybe not so much.

Anyway, boycott G2A, don't boycott G2A, aren't there steam games to talk about?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom