• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

But Valve is exactly doing that with their whole "voluntary" translation project.
If anyone didnt know, Valve has free translators for Steampages, news, announcements, some games and stuff.

That is why I totally think the arguments Valve is using for that are hypocritical, when they dont even want to pay their translators money.

If anyone didnt know about this:

https://translation.steampowered.com
Translation and making mods are different beasts. Also, no ones cared about those guys until it become a simple talking point to label Valve as "hypocritical". If anyone here is hypocritical, it's the people that simply want free stuff but moan about how much percent anyone should get. I don't see how anyone gets to be angry about percentages, when currently modders are getting nil.

That being said, they should give translators who put up quality work on Steam stuff some compensation.

Pixieking

Banned
It's more a matter of Valve wanting their cut yet again.

It's interesting to me that this is cropping up so much. Sure, Valve want a cut of sales. It's a business.

But at the same time, it's a neat way for people to circumvent that donations don't actually draw in a lot of money. Last time this all was talked about, a couple of years ago, Durante said he'd earned very little from donations for DSFix.

That's something worth thinking about, given how much of a necessity it is.

Edit: Found Durante's post from way back then. Hope he doesn't mind me linking. :)

Is there any way to downsample Atelier Sophie without using DSR? I don't like how DSR completely ruins the Steam overlay. People have been talking about regedits and stuff so I thought maybe there's a way to increase the internal rendering resolution and automatically downsample or something. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...

Arthea

Translation and making mods are different beasts. Also, no ones cared about those guys until it become a simple talking point to label Valve as "hypocritical". If anyone here is hypocritical, it's the people that simply want free stuff but moan about how much percent anyone should get. I don't see how anyone gets to be angry about percentages, when currently modders are getting nil.

That being said, they should give translators who put up quality work on Steam stuff some compensation.

that's some condescending tone you have going here, often mods break a game, you would enjoy paying for something you can't use, wouldn't you?
nothing is wrong with free community provided stuff, we had quite a few games translated by fans in our time, what's enormous amount of work for nothing, nobody raves over it and if somebody wanted to donate, they often even couldn't.
why everything has to be paid for on steam? We still have freeware software and games plenty what makes mods so different that these have to be paid for, period? and more important why? if modders are willing to provide free stuff, why fix what's not broken?

Nzyme32

Sigh - not used a mobile app store in over a year, then yesterday I start looking through what I need and use and join 4 new subscriptions for services. At least they are all things that will see regular use and 3 or them still add up to less than console subs, which somehow feels justifiable to me.

Totally agree. Translation should be done in a similar way to how some of the Google survey stuff works at a bare minimum, giving store credit, or better still cash for good service

As for mods, the economics of it is impossible once you charge to then day modders should get everything, considering this now enters the realms of property licencing, assets, service etc. IMO paid mods should be something a little akin to what Valve already does for cosmetics but only the larger mods such as long war 2 should be in the running for paid mods - however working with the Devs for which the Devs of the base game become responsible for ensuring compatibility, updates support etc, while coordinating mod changes and updates with the modders.

MUnited83

For you.
that's some condescending tone you have going here, often mods break a game, you would enjoy paying for something you can't use, wouldn't you?
nothing is wrong with free community provided stuff, we had quite a few games translated by fans in our time, what's enormous amount of work for nothing, nobody raves over it and if somebody wanted to donate, they often even couldn't.
why everything has to be paid for on steam? We still have freeware software and games plenty what makes mods so different that these have to be paid for, period? and more important why? if modders are willing to provide free stuff, why fix what's not broken?
Nobody ever has said to anyone that mods should be forced to be paid, so I don't get your point. A mod developer should have the choice of either releasing his work for free, or charge for it. It's simple as that.

Arthea

Nobody ever has said to anyone that mods should be forced to be paid, so I don't get your point. A mod developer should have the choice of either releasing his work for free, or charge for it. It's simple as that.

I was answering that post about free stuff and hypocrisy, which I quoted.

That's the thing though, donation systems don't even earn $$$$ for the Dev either.

unless devs self publish, paid mods earnings won't get to devs either, but to publishers, just sayin

Nzyme32

I should see if there is anime mod for xcom 2, that would be amusing.

I saw a stream where all the xcom 2 soldiers had anime hair (school girls) and lots of anime combat chatter. They are definitely in the workshop somewhere....

It also involved Bob Ross, Tommy weisau and macho man randy savage

Grief.exe

Praise the gods, I somehow got my PC out of the reboot loop it was trapped in. I forgive you 2017.

Like... Apparently static build-up in the PSU can cause all kinds of weird problems that are fixed by holding down the power button (while it's unplugged); either that, or whatever was the actual problem has briefly stepped aside during the forced shutdown. But even a temp fix is better than nothing, gives me time to try and nail down the issue and back up stuff.

By the way, always do this when doing any work on your PC. Discharge the static and then touch some grounded metal to ensure you're discharged.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But at the same time, it's a neat way for people to circumvent that donations don't actually draw in a lot of money. Last time this all was talked about, a couple of years ago, Durante said he'd earned very little from donations for DSFix.

That's something worth thinking about, given how much of a necessity it is.

I'll mirror this comment with my own anecdote about modding: Every month, Enhanced Steam has about 1,100,000 unique users, and only 82 of them support the effort on Patreon. Thankfully, those 82 people contribute enough to keep the servers running. However, they only account for 0.0075%, so in my mind Durante's figure is about 20 times higher than my own. There are, occasionally, users who make a one-time donation which skews this some, but the donation model only works for Enhanced Steam (I think) just due to the sheer size of the userbase and the generosity of those contributing. Expecting someone to make money and support themselves on donations for mods in their current form is quite silly. Here in the US at least, they could easily make more money every month begging on a street corner.

As for mods, the economics of it is impossible once you charge to then day modders should get everything, considering this now enters the realms of property licencing, assets, service etc. IMO paid mods should be something a little akin to what Valve already does for cosmetics but only the larger mods such as long war 2 should be in the running for paid mods - however working with the Devs for which the Devs of the base game become responsible for ensuring compatibility, updates support etc, while coordinating mod changes and updates with the modders.

That's a good point - developers and publishers would definitely deserve a higher portion of the cut if they worked directly with the modders and ensured compatibility before major changes to the game as to not break anything.

By the way, always do this when doing any work on your PC. Discharge the static and then touch some grounded metal to ensure you're discharged.

Definitely good advice. I've tried doing that when working on my PC previously...

...and I admit I just looked up how grounding actually works and learned I've been doing it wrong every time. What a time to be alive.

MUnited83

For you.
I was answering that post about free stuff and hypocrisy, which I quoted.

unless devs self publish, paid mods earnings won't get to devs either, but to publishers, just sayin
In your post you were complaining how "why does everything has to be paid", which is really not the case.

Also seems like you're a bit confused: the devs did get a share of the profits from the mods. It was a shitty share that should definitely be higher, but it was still worlds above what donations would get them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Chaos Bundle, very decent. Has that Precursors game Nabs was linking the other day, Convoy on the highest tier, I am Bread which isnt bundled alot (ever?), other goodies.

Wok

Yesterday, I played Abzû at a friend's place who has invested (way too) much money in his gaming setup last week and built his new PC last Saturday. Of course, it is night and day with my PC which cannot even get to the menu screen of Dishonored 2. Anyway, my point is the experience at his place is way better compared to the experience at my place, and I understand a bit better why some of you were enjoying it more than I previously did. You really need to run it at 60 FPS on a large white wall (using a projector) and with all the audio speakers surrounding your sofa. It is a cheap game... which is amazingly beautiful... for rich people.

MUnited83

For you.
As if that's what valve cares about
I mean, of course they care about the part where they get money from it, duh, no shit, but saying that Valve has no interests of the modders at heart too is quite frankly ignorant of the company's policies and views.

Bluth54

But Valve is exactly doing that with their whole "voluntary" translation project.
If anyone didnt know, Valve has free translators for Steampages, news, announcements, some games and stuff.

That is why I totally think the arguments Valve is using for that are hypocritical, when they dont even want to pay their translators money.

If anyone didnt know about this:

https://translation.steampowered.com

I've actually heard some positive things about that program in the past. People who became professional translators said that it can be hard to break into that industry without experience and you can get experience doing STS translations that go into Valve's games and products.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As if that's what valve cares about

I don't think Valve's intentions are insincere -- I mean, some of the developers who worked on the original Half-Life were modders prior to being hired, to say nothing of the myriad of other examples -- but obviously "We want content creators to be compensated for their work" isn't the whole story and the reintroduction of paid mods will also be a business decision.

Knurek

intelcoffee-800x450.jpg

Yeah, Intel, 15% better performance between Skylake and Kaby Lake. 🙄

MaxiLive

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MaxiLive, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

12 is better than 6 -- MB-0E176E44DEB60C1A - Taken by maty. 14 entrants total.

t1487014642z1.png

Dupe!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Contrast -- MB-E3C8FD2D91B58CC7 - Taken by Purkake4. 6 entrants total.

t1487004927z1.png

NeoRaider

According to SE NieR: Automata is not "early 2017" release on Steam anymore:

NieR: Automata, developed by SQUARE ENIX and PlatinumGames Inc., will release in North America on March 7 for the PlayStation® computer entertainment system and Steam® in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom