• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hits 37 million concurrent users today, Gabe Newell says thanks

Topher

Gold Member

91dev3.jpg

sorry....had to

Last edited:
Curious, August (and summer overall) is normally the worst month of the year for Steam (and consoles, and gaming related streaming platforms like Twitch), yet we see this, pretty sure we'll se 38-39 millions in the coming months.

Biggest hits of the year being sold best on Steam vs consoles is starting to get common with Wukong, Elden Ring, BG3, Palworld, Helldivers 2, Cyberpunk etc

Next years will be interesting if Steam keeps growing, we might see some news that would have been absolutely unexpected just a few years ago (maybe not so much now)

Last edited:

Bkdk

Valve is the only major US gaming company that didn't touch any of the insane wokeness, thus they continue to deliver and see their business growing. Gabe is also smart enough to not talk about how anti woke they are internally and let all the major western possible competitors destroy themselves from within while they take in more profits.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
My only concern with Steam is Gabe selling up. It’s going to be a cluster fuck once they are acquired by a greedy fuck corpo.

Dude has zero reason to sell to anyone at this point. I’m sure scum like EA and Microsoft already tried to buy him out with huge sums of money but Gabe already is on top of the world.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
My only concern with Steam is Gabe selling up. It’s going to be a cluster fuck once they are acquired by a greedy fuck corpo.
Don’t even mate.

It’s not just getting acquired, it’s once he kicks the bucket and the “heirs” step in.
Kids are greedy fucks and dont care about their parent’s legacy. Look at Tolkien’s estate for example.

They’d flog that shit instantly.

BlackTron

Don’t even mate.

It’s not just getting acquired, it’s once he kicks the bucket and the “heirs” step in.
Kids are greedy fucks and dont care about their parent’s legacy. Look at Tolkien’s estate for example.

They’d flog that shit instantly.

The only hope would be for him to be actively grooming a successor but even then it's not guaranteed and can go awry real quick.

StereoVsn

Thanks Gabe, now please present the following...

Half-Life 3
Left 4 Dead 3
Team Fortress 3
Portal 3
Gabe does not believe in 3s! 😉

But yeah, what a journey it has been. I still kind of remember bitching about Steam requirement for Half-Life 2, lol.

Steam dragged PC gaming out of a shit show it was back in late 2000s, IMO. Huge props to Gaben and the team at Valve.

Fahdis

PC gaming is too complicated, you have 50 drivers for your 12 graphics cards and you can’t build a PC for less than $3000
Then when you finally finish you get BLUE SCREEN OF DARTH also you don’t get Sony games

I predict PC gaming will be dead in 3 months.

Pfffttt. Modern problems require modern solutions, we just build a PC2 to fix the problems with PC.

Pejo

That equals out to roughly 10% of the US population on the platform at the same time (just from a numbers perspective). Insane numbers, even though most of them are probably from Asia.

Celcius

°Temp. member
oh wow, and I haven't even been on Steam today
PC gaming is huge these days. You love to see it.

MiguelItUp

Gabe does not believe in 3s! 😉

But yeah, what a journey it has been. I still kind of remember bitching about Steam requirement for Half-Life 2, lol.

Steam dragged PC gaming out of a shit show it was back in late 2000s, IMO. Huge props to Gaben and the team at Valve.
Right?! I'll forever remember the Steam hate at launch, lol. I give them major kudos for keeping their eye on the prize, they clearly knew what they were doing. Maaaan, has it come a long way, lol. I remember that vomit green color was NOT good on the eyes. When they gray was available I was so happy, lmao.

Valve is the only major US gaming company that didn't touch any of the insane wokeness, thus they continue to deliver and see their business growing. Gabe is also smart enough to not talk about how anti woke they are internally and let all the major western possible competitors destroy themselves from within while they take in more profits.
They're located in Washington state, and the team behind Firewatch (Campo Santos) was acquired by Valve a while back. They were left-leaning and vocal about it on their podcasts.

Top Bottom