• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

pilonv1

Stumpokapow said:
Round 1: No Brainer Small Ticket Items

Braid, Indigo Prophecy, Broken Sword: Twin Pack, Safecracker 2 (NA), Zeno Clash, Starwars Battlefront II, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, The Void, Tropico Reloaded, Heroes of Might and Magic 5, And Yet It Moves, King's Quest Collection
Purchased for this account
$67.48

Should have Evil Genius in there too for $2.

Hows Mirrors Edge for PC? I have the 360 version.

graywolf323

larvi said:
Will probably get King's Bounty Armored Princess for $26.79, cheapest I've seen it so far. Just fyi for those thinking of Fallout 3 GOTY and don't mind a disc copy and waiting a bit, Amazon currently has it for $29.99 but 2-3week time before it ships.

get the King's Bounty Gold Edition if you don't own the first game already, both games for $30.14

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2520/

bengraven

Basileus777 said:
Apparently Indigo Prophecy has trouble recognizing the 2nd analog stick for the 360 controller. There is also an .ini setting that you can change that supposedly uncensors it, but I've seen some people saying it doesn't work on the steam version.

I heard that it sometimes doesn't recognize anything, even keyboard settings for the second analog. That's a huge problem.

Anyone have recommendations for indie games? There's so many crazy cheap games that I can't decide. I already own Osmos, Madballs, and Audiosurf.

Combed through the entire thing, put this in my cart.

3,79€ Crash Time 2
4,99€ Driver® Parallel Lines
4,99€ Culpa Innata
9,99€ The Void
7,49€ Penumbra Black Plague Gold Edition
7,49€ Grand Theft Auto IV
10,19€ The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
1,39€ Sniper Elite
2,49€ Oddworld Pack
2,49€ Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
45,99€ Eidos Collector Pack
2,24€ LucasArts Adventure Pack

103,53€

Everyone should buy Sniper Elite because why not?

hamchan

Steamomg.jpg

Dipswitch

'World in conflict - Complete' bought. It's a minor miracle I was able to hold the line there - So many Goddamn deals my head hurts. Also, my backlog weeps.

Everdred

pilonv1 said:
Should have Evil Genius in there too for $2.

Way better than the 360 version IMO. Controls better (can still use 360 if you prefer) and looks better overall.

MoFuzz

pilonv1 said:

Without a doubt, the definitive version. If you have a decent PC, it's a visual treat. Mouse & Keyboard controls actually work better than dual analog for this game.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just bought:
-Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
-STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
-Rome: Total War Gold
-Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle

Hope I did okay GAF!

Just look at that Eidos pack. All those games for $50? Unreal.

Items included:
Buy Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlestations Pacific
Battlestations: Midway
Conflict: Denied Ops
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Flora's Fruit Farm
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Codename 47
Infernal
Just Cause
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men™
Mini Ninjas
Project: Snowblind
Rogue Trooper
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Released Nov 21, 2008

$262.44
$99.99
-$50.00
Individual price
Package price
Holiday Sale! 50% Off through Jan 3!

$49.99
Cost to you

$212.45
You save

$49.99
Buy Eidos Collector Pack

Doytch

Basileus777 said:
Anyone have recommendation for indie games? There's so many crazy cheap games that I can't decide. I already own Osmos, Madballs, and Audiosurf.
Machinarium (my #3 goty) - $10
Evil Genius (it's under Indie...) - $2
AI War: Fleet Command (rec'd by Frag, never played myself) - $10
AaaAAaaAAaAaaaaAAAAAaaaaA: A Reckless Disregard for Gravity - $7.50

zbarron

Basileus777 said:
Anyone have recommendation for indie games? There's so many crazy cheap games that I can't decide. I already own Osmos, Madballs, and Audiosurf.
Aquaria. It is really good but don't just trust me, try the demo. It's a substantial part of the beginning of the game and with a little cutting and pasting it's save file transfers to the full game.

MoFuzz said:
I'm eyeing Shattered Horizon at $15, but the fact that there's less than 100 people playing according to Steam at any given time is kind of sad.

If you get three others then you can buy the four back for $44.99~

Minsc said:
Still. A 5870 + i7 920 ought to run Serious Sam at 200fps on extreme high settings no questions asked. Oh well.

When those settings include inengine supersampling among other crazy options, well I respectfully, disagree. ;)

Nelo Ice said:
so should i get machinarium from steam or from the devs?

From the devs you also get Samorost 2 and the soundtracks to both games, but you can only download for the next few weeks, so you don't get the perpetual redownloads Steam gives you. I bought it from the devs before the Steam deal went up and have no regrets.

legend166 said:
How would GTA IV run on a E6750 with an 8800GT and 2GB of RAM?

Performance will be similar to the 360 version but since you'll be CPU bound you'll be able to push a much higher resolution and better quality shadows etc. Go for it. There's quite an interesting mod scene emerging as well and the 360 DLC is nigh on confirmed to hit next year as well.

Xanathus

I'm getting an error message for GTA4's store page, "This item is currently unavailable in your region". If someone else buys it and gifts it to me, can I still play it and have no issues?

wow those are some serious deals

Ya know, unless its a game i gotta play ASAP i don't think i'll buy steam games until this time of the year. So many awesome deals. Which means next year i'll buy risen!!

Volcynika

zbarron said:
Aquaria. It is really good but don't just trust me, try the demo. It's a substantial part of the beginning of the game and with a little cutting and pasting it's save file transfers to the full game.

THIS THIS OH GOD THIS

Love Aquaria. <3 (Still waiting on my soundtrack to come in :( )

pilonv1 said:

Its the only version worth bothering with imo. The Steam version doesn't work with the official DLC (though that costs twice as much as you'd be paying for the game so its a non-issue) but you can download mod maps that are very similar and best of all, free.

Well, there are a lot of games I want but if there is no chance of the non 48-Hr games going back up in price I think I will wait on them to see if they show up in the 48-Hr list. If some of them did go back up before Jan, I'd be quite annoyed, though.

So for now I'll just get STALKER, GTA4, and Defense Grid.

Kipe

Rome: Total War or Medieval II: Total War, which one is better for someone who has never played a Total War game?

thinking about picking up:

torchlight $9.99
rome: total war gold edition $2.49
medieval 2: total war $4.99
stalker $1.99

maybe:
stalker: clear sky $4.99
empire: total war $24.99 (probably not)

Coop

Dipswitch said:
Christ - Steam is getting hammered. Normally get ~ 3MB/sec download rates and I'm averaging between 90 and 130 KB/s atm :D

Change the download server. I think I'm on New Zealand and I'm getting about a 1mb. not as good as 3mb but better than 130kb

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
Round 1: No Brainer Small Ticket Items

Braid, Indigo Prophecy, Broken Sword: Twin Pack, Safecracker 2 (NA), Zeno Clash, Starwars Battlefront II, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, The Void, Tropico Reloaded, Heroes of Might and Magic 5, And Yet It Moves, King's Quest Collection
Purchased for this account
$67.48
Audiosurf....2.49. This should be on every single purchase list here if you do not have it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn, i really wish Republic Commando was a little cheaper. Like 3 bucks. I can't convince myself to impulse buy it at 5 bucks (since i already finished it).

We'll see if my mind changes on the 3rd...

Also, why no deal on GTA Classics? I Remember it was around 7 bucks back when Rockstar came to steam. I couldn't take advantage of it because rockstar is not availaible in my location, but if it drops down again, i'll get somebody to buy it for me.

Day One

Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Indigo Prophecy
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (shockingly the only entry in the series I haven't played yet)
Zeno Clash
Trine

I'm pumped.

Everdred

crimsonheadGCN said:
Cool. I'll get it then.
I think you will be happy. Rainbow Six 3 is the best in the series.

Anyone know if all the updates are applied automatically for the Steam version? I still use the disk version from 6 years ago :p

Keikoku

Banned
Bought :

Tomb Raider Anniversary
KOTOR
POP : sands of time
STALKER : Clear Sky
Trine
Deus Ex
Defense grid

Hoping for limited deals :

Borderlands
Red Faction : Guerrilla
Cryostasis

Mr. B

So far:

Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection
Indigo Prophecy
LucasArts Adventure Pack

Didn't want to spend too much

Edit: Oh man, Dark Forces (From the Jedi Knight bundle) plays like crap. Freezes up everytime I pickup an item.

Basileus777 said:

I'll give it a bit of a go:

Defense Grid: A couple of dollars and the most polished and balanced Tower Defence game you'll ever play, looks nice to boot.

Shadowgrounds Pack: These are a top down version of what Doom 3 should have been. Intense action, excellent moody lighting effects and a decent enough story/universe. You get both titles for about $5, they're both decent length and support upto 4 player offline co-op on the same machine.

The "Shooter" games: A combination of Diablo and Smash TV, they're 99p each or a few quid for the pack, if you're picky go for Alien Shooter 2. Loads of loot and loads of shooting with a huge selection of guns and an awesome visual style.

Trials 2: The predecessor of the most popular Arcade game on the 360 this year, sure it needs no introduction, hard as nails.

Machinarium, Braid and Audiosurf are all utter non brainers as well, just buy them, don't even bother thinking about it.

Top Bottom