• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
brain_stew said:
I'll give it a bit of a go:

Defense Grid: A couple of dollars and the most polished and balanced Tower Defence game you'll ever play, looks nice to boot.

Shadowgrounds Pack: These are a top down version of what Doom 3 should have been. Intense action, excellent moody lighting effects and a decent enough story/universe. You get both titles for about $5, they're both decent length and support upto 4 player offline co-op on the same machine.

The "Shooter" games: A combination of Diablo and Smash TV, they're 99p each or a few quid for the pack, if you're picky go for Alien Shooter 2. Loads of loot and loads of shooting with a huge selection of guns and an awesome visual style.

Trials 2: The predecessor of the most popular Arcade game on the 360 this year, sure it needs no introduction, hard as nails.

Machinarium, Braid and Audiosurf are all utter non brainers as well, just buy them, don't even bother thinking about it.
Machinarium is available for the same price with the soundtrack and samarost 2 + soundtrack from the developers, so not a complete no brainer.

Went for

Far Cry 2
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
The Void
Machinarium
Jedi Knight Pack

Might go back and grab Rome Total War

Any other gems under $10 I should grab? (already own stalker, mirror's edge, and other obvious ones)

KillerAJD

I've got $15 to blow...I've already got STALKER, and I am eying GTA IV, Indigo Prophecy, and Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast. Should I be set with those? Any other recommendations? Not a fan of RTS stuff nor old school adventure games.

Brashnir

Doytch said:
Nope. I'd suggest waiting until the last day to buy anything that's not a daily deal.
I'd agree with this except for the game packs with a bunch of games like Telltale Complete.

Smash88

Banned
Oh man Stalker is only $1.99 - DAMN IT

Never played the game before, and I don't have the means to pay for it.

Steam is just cruel. This Christmas is going to piss me off. :lol

I'm going to beg my friend to gift it, hopefully that will work. :D

Brashnir

Lyphen said:
Damn, King's Bounty didn't get much of a cut. Trying to keep all my purchases under 15. :(

KB Gold is $30. You're getting 2 games, that makes each one $15.

There. I just justified it for you.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
In for King's Quest Collection, Stalker, AudioSurf, and Lucas Collection. Wow. $11.97 Wow... I love steam.

Brashnir

cms382 said:
I wish the PopCap games would go down.

Hopefully they'll be part of a daily deal. I'm hoping for them, Risen and Dragon Age. (I know DA went on sale during the BF weekend thing, but I missed it)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Doytch said:
Nope. I'd suggest waiting until the last day to buy anything that's not a daily deal.
cms382 said:
I wish the PopCap games would go down.
I have a hunch that whatever is already on a deal won't get another, 24 hour deal. Whatever is not discounted (in this case, PopCap games, EA games, some LucasArts games) will get some sort of 24 hour deal down the line.

That's just a guess tho. Doesn't hurt to wait.

Why is the first day 37 hoursish?

legend166

For now I'm buying:

Far Cry 2
Assault on Dark Athena
Trials 2
Time Gentlemen, Please! + Ben There, Dan That!

Total of $25 US.

scoobs

lol picked up borderlands, lucky me! Almost bought this the other day for $50 :) Instead I got dragon age. I woulda been pissed!!!

Brashnir

Also considering Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum for 10 bucks. I have RCT3 on disk and liked it a lot, but never bought the expansions.

poppabk said:
Machinarium is available for the same price with the soundtrack and samarost 2 + soundtrack from the developers, so not a complete no brainer.

Well I meant more that its a no brainer that you buy it, whichever which way you please.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, on a whim, I open up Steam. Maybe I'll play some Borderlands or something.

I saw the sale.

qsmmqg.jpg

drakesfortune

Damn, the Space Quest collection is tempting too! I know my rose tinted glasses are heavily tinted with these old Sierra games, but that's what I grew up on. $5 for all of those games...it's crazy. I think I may need to bite on that as well. Now we just need the Leisure Suit Larry collection for $2. :D

Ninja Face said:
Went for

Far Cry 2
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
The Void
Machinarium
Jedi Knight Pack

Might go back and grab Rome Total War

Any other gems under $10 I should grab? (already own stalker, mirror's edge, and other obvious ones)

Painkiller, Titan Quest: Gold, GTA4, Alien Shooter 2, Rome: Total War, Outrun 2006, Braid, Shadowgrounds pack, Defense Grid, Trine, Riddick, World of Goo, Ghostbusters, Dawn of War: Platinum, Unreal Deal pack (slightly more but so, so good), and plenty more I'm sure.

ismaboof

Steam, I have no time for these games. But fuck me they're cheap. Four Lucasarts adventures for $2.50? How can I say no?

Alucrid

Banned
So far I have on my list:

Machinarium
Zeno Clash
Indigo Prophecy
Trine
Penumbra Pack
The Void
Republic Commando
Jedi Knight Pack

I'll bid my time and wait on those, and these if they go on sale...more.

Fallout 3 GOTY
Oblivion Pack
Fallout Collection

turnbuckle

I'll probably never get a chance to play half these games, but I might as well buy them just in case. I love Steam. They love the $120 I just spent.

Since Outrun 2006 is only $2.49, how does it control with the keyboard? I have a Logitech Dual Shock like controller, but I would rather use the keyboard instead.

Right, I'm skint but so far I've been unable to resist:

Shadowgrounds: Survivor
Painkiller: Black Edition
Titan Quest: Gold
Alien Shooter: Revisited
Zombie Shooter 2

All of that lot were only £12.50, that's 7 games that were all on my radar, bloody mental.

I also know my brother and sister are gifting me Steam games for Christmas so I've made a list of others that I'd love to receive and I'm going to let them pick my gift from that list, the list is:

Trine
Risk II
LucasArts Adventure Pack
PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords
Dark Sector
Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures
The Void
Torchlight
Evil Genius
Tropico Reloaded
Ghost Master®
SlamIt Pinball Big Score
FlatOut
Aquaria
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!

Excited to see what Santa brings! :D

McNum

One Mirror's Edge and one The Witcher for me. For €13.93. Both were on my "Sort of want" list, and now they're mine. It's cheaper than some DLC I could have bought for other games.

That's quite a download for The Witcher. 14GB? That could take a while...

Nice sale so far. My internet connection curses Valve's name.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Since Outrun 2006 is only $2.49, how does it control with the keyboard? I have a Logitech Dual Shock like controller, but I would rather use the keyboard instead.

It's playable with a keyboard. If you have a wired Xbox 360 controller or the wireless PC device it detects it automatically and plays perfectly.

crimsonheadGCN said:

Just use the controller, its the best version of the best arcade racing game of this decade for $2.49. Buy, buy, buy!!!

It includes way more content than the Live/PSN release and you won't get nasty framedrops like you do in that version.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
SuperEnemyCrab said:
It's playable with a keyboard. If you have a wired Xbox 360 controller or the wireless PC device it detects it automatically and plays perfectly.
Will the plug'n'play charge kit combined with a wireless 360 controller act as a wired one?

NameGenerated said:
Will the plug'n'play charge kit combined with a wireless 360 controller act as a wired one?

I think it will only charge it, not make it use-able on the PC it's plugged into. Someone might want to confirm this though.

I didn't want to make another thread but does anyone know why STALKER refuses to output on my external monitor? Indigo Prophecy works fine but STALKER just don't work. (On my laptop btw)

NameGenerated said:

Nope, but Outrun has pretty extensive controller support and configuration options, any pad will do.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anyone at all know if the Space Quest pack has the cd-rom version of sqiv? Or just the non-voiced floppy one?

drakesfortune

Wow, Audiosurf is fun. I've already gotten as much use out of it as the average $2 rock band song I download. I could see myself messing with it a lot. It's such a great idea, I wish there were more games like this. This seems like it should be the tip of an iceberg.

Tokubetsu

I come back from a night of drinking to this. Quick, someone help a drunk gaffer not ruin his credit and said his checking account into the red!

drakesfortune

Tokubetsu said:
I come back from a night of drinking to this. Quick, someone help a drunk gaffer not ruin his credit and said his checking account into the red!

Haha, God if I were drunk right now I would have spent a lot more money. Guaranteed.

I feel for you. :lol

Tokubetsu said:

:lol :lol :lol

Ouch! You're fucked. Guaranteed.

Top Bottom