• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Everdred said:
I think you will be happy. Rainbow Six 3 is the best in the series.

Anyone know if all the updates are applied automatically for the Steam version? I still use the disk version from 6 years ago :p

It should be automatically updated to the latest version. There's only a few games on Steam that aren't automatically updated to the latest version and I don't think Rainbow 6 was one of those games.

Xanathus said:
I'm getting an error message for GTA4's store page, "This item is currently unavailable in your region". If someone else buys it and gifts it to me, can I still play it and have no issues?

Yes, I got Ghostbusters this way, some 6 months before it released in my region.

lakesideflight said:
How's Trine? It looks pretty cool, reviews sound like it's decent, and only $7.99 so I think I might pick up this as well.

There's a demo.

Edit: Since it got put on the end of the last page:

Basileus777 said:
Anyone have recommendation for indie games? There's so many crazy cheap games that I can't decide. I already own Osmos, Madballs, and Audiosurf.

I'll give it a bit of a go:

Defense Grid: A couple of dollars and the most polished and balanced Tower Defence game you'll ever play, looks nice to boot.

Shadowgrounds Pack: These are a top down version of what Doom 3 should have been. Intense action, excellent moody lighting effects and a decent enough story/universe. You get both titles for about $5, they're both decent length and support upto 4 player offline co-op on the same machine.

The "Shooter" games: A combination of Diablo and Smash TV, they're 99p each or a few quid for the pack, if you're picky go for Alien Shooter 2. Loads of loot and loads of shooting with a huge selection of guns and an awesome visual style.

Trials 2: The predecessor of the most popular Arcade game on the 360 this year, sure it needs no introduction, hard as nails.

Machinarium, Braid, World of Goo and Audiosurf are all utter non brainers as well, just buy them, don't even bother thinking about it.

vanty

brain_stew said:
I'll give it a bit of a go:

Defense Grid: A couple of dollars and the most polished and balanced Tower Defence game you'll ever play, looks nice to boot.

Shadowgrounds Pack: These are a top down version of what Doom 3 should have been. Intense action, excellent moody lighting effects and a decent enough story/universe. You get both titles for about $5, they're both decent length and support upto 4 player offline co-op on the same machine.

The "Shooter" games: A combination of Diablo and Smash TV, they're 99p each or a few quid for the pack, if you're picky go for Alien Shooter 2. Loads of loot and loads of shooting with a huge selection of guns and an awesome visual style.

Trials 2: The predecessor of the most popular Arcade game on the 360 this year, sure it needs no introduction, hard as nails.

Machinarium, Braid and Audiosurf are all utter non brainers as well, just buy them, don't even bother thinking about it.
Could add World of Goo to that as well. Only $5 at the moment.

atomsk

Party Pooper
already bought STALKER and Zenoclash when they were 5 bucks...

so i grabbed lucasarts adventure pack and trials 2 SE

will keep an eye on daily deals

Doytch said:
Tales of Monkey Island - $25
Wallace and Gromit - $10

Buy these games.

No. I won't. For $15 more, I'll just get this:

Bone: Out From Boneville
Bone: The Great Cow Race
Sam & Max 101: Culture Shock MC=81
Sam & Max 102: Situation: Comedy MC=79l
Sam & Max 103: The Mole, the Mob and the Meatball MC=74
Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die! MC = 80
Sam & Max 105: Reality 2.0 MC= 82
Sam & Max 106: Bright Side of the Moon MC =79
Sam & Max 201: Ice Station Santa MC = 82
Sam & Max 202: Moai Better Blues MC = 80
Sam & Max 203: Night of the Raving Dead MC = 79
Sam & Max 204: Chariots of the Dogs MC = 85
Sam & Max 205: What’s New Beelzebub? MC = 85
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Season 1
Buy Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack
Telltale Texas Hold ‘Em
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures, Episode 1: Fright of the Bumblebees
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures, Episode 2: The Last Resort
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures, Episode 4: The Bogey Man
Wallace and Gromit Episode 3: Muzzled!
$191.69
$99.99
-$50.00
Individual price
Package price
Holiday Sale

Total price = $49.99

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Well, my spending is done. I fell prey to:

id Super Pack - $34.99
Torchlight - $9.99
Space Quest Collection - $4.99
AudioSurf - $2.50
Oddworld Pack - $2.49

I had been waiting for the id Pack to go on sale for a while now. I missed last year's sale.

Blizzard

Banned
Looks like some stuff may even be going on sale still. I might have been crazy and not noticed, but I thought I looked through all the publisher sale packs without seeing Codemasters (Overlord etc.), and that's up now, with individual sale prices as well.

speculawyer said:

Telltale Texas Hold ‘Em
$191.69
$99.99
-$50.00
Individual price
Package price
Holiday Sale

Total price = $49.99
That still blows my mind. :D

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Rome is the best TW game, right? It seems that people are meh on Medieval and absolutely hate Empire, but I don't hear much talk about Rome.

Max

I am not Max
Brannon said:
What exactly does this 2009 Stalker pack do?
It fixes bugs among other things, just makes the game a lot more playable/enjoyable

Basileus777 said:
How does Stalker: Clear Sky stack up compared to Shadow of Chernobyl?
I've heard its a buggy mess

I3rand0

speculawyer said:

Telltale Texas Hold ‘Em
$191.69
$99.99
-$50.00
Individual price
Package price
Holiday Sale

Total price = $49.99

Where are you seeing $49.99? It's showing $99.99 to me.

Can I use trainers/saves on the Steam version of GTAIV? I wouldn't mind checking out how it runs on my ATI 5850 but there's no way in hell I'm playing through it again.

hamchan

Games I forgot to buy in my madness:

Indigo Prophecy
Trine
Tales of monkey island
FFXI collection

+ more i'll remember later

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fragamemnon said:
I personally think it was one of the best games released on the PC last year, if not the best.
Isn't Armoured Princess considered superior? Or both really worth having?

Doytch

speculawyer said:

<<<GOOD TIMES>>>

Total price = $49.99
You are a scholar and a gentleman, and truly more intelligent than I. May good tidings come to you as you enjoy the delights of your purchase.

shintoki said:
Isn't Armoured Princess considered superior? Or both really worth having?

I think Armored Princess is a tad bit better overall, but god help you if you decide that you want to play AP before playing King's Bounty: The Legend. The game will destroy you.

criesofthepast said:
Going to pick up STALKER. Hope it runs decent on my mac pro 8600. Only other game I want is LFD2. You guys think I should wait on that?

Yes, very likely that it'll appear in one of the 24 hour deals.

legend166 said:
How does Ghostbusters run on PC? I know it doesn't have multiplayer, but for $6.7 that doesn't worry me.

Graphics portion? Great, 8600gt or better will do you fine.

CPU portion? Not so much

It has a built in 30fps cap which helps but make sure you have at least a 3ghz dual core or any modern triple/quad core if you want to buy it.

hamchan

Archie said:
Rome is the best TW game, right? It seems that people are meh on Medieval and absolutely hate Empire, but I don't hear much talk about Rome.

IMO it is. That might stem from my larger interest in Rome though and the time period. Empire deserves hate because it has some pretty bad bugs in it.

legend166

brain_stew said:
Graphics portion? Great, 8600gt or better will do you fine.

CPU portion? Not so much

It has a built in 30fps cap which helps but make sure you have at least a 3ghz dual core or any modern triple/quad core if you want to buy it.

What the hell?

Guess I won't get it.

Doytch

Archie said:
Yup, and I highly recommend the Europa Barbarorum mod.

3,79€ Crash Time 2
4,99€ Driver® Parallel Lines
4,99€ Culpa Innata
7,49€ Penumbra Black Plague Gold Edition
7,49€ Grand Theft Auto IV
10,19€ The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
1,39€ Sniper Elite
45,99€ Eidos Collector Pack

86.32€
27 games
And I thought I wasn't gonna buy any more games this year.

Jackl

Torchlight got for now.

I really really want a Dragon Age sale, but I'm also pretty empty on disposable cash right now. Loads of little sales that are hard to ignore....

Cowie

$14 for the witcher... would I be a crotchety old man to wait and see if it gets a daily deal price drop? $14 is good, but my $2 stalker purchase has me watching for more stupid deals.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cowie said:
$14 for the witcher... would I be a crotchety old man to wait and see if it gets a daily deal price drop? $14 is good, but my $2 stalker purchase has me watching for more stupid deals.

The stuff that's already on sale isn't getting any cheaper over the course of this sale.

Aesius

Cowie said:

Same here man. STALKER is the only thing that really jumped out at me.

I'm even holding off on buying Pirates at its current $6 price :lol

Doytch

Cowie said:
Nope. I'd suggest waiting until the last day to buy anything that's not a daily deal.

Lothars

I bought

Lucas art adventure pack
Ghostbusters
Tropic 3
GTA IV

I think im missing some plus I will be picking up Indigo prophecy

Oblivion / Morrowind pack

I am just hoping for that to go on sale, there's still many more that I want but will just see how the sales go.

I went to buy a bunch of indie games . . . so I toss in braid (which I already have on XBLA), audiosurf, a puzzle indie 4-pack, an action indie 4-pack . . . grand total was less than $15. :lol

Can I buy games as a gift for people who don't have accounts yet? I guess I could create a free email account, create a steam account, and then gift to that and then give them the account as a gift.

Doytch

speculawyer said:
I went to buy a bunch of indie games . . . so I toss in braid (which I already have on XBLA), audiosurf, a puzzle indie 4-pack, an action indie 4-pack . . . grand total was less than $15. :lol

Can I buy games as a gift for people who don't have accounts yet? I guess I could create a free email account, create a steam account, and then gift to that and then give them the account as a gift.
It lets you send by email or through Steam, so they don't need an account yet.

Top Bottom