• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how many objectives has everyone actually done so far? 34 for me:
2LLVF.png

26, but pretty much only have gotten crap. Left 4 Dead 2 was the only game I received but already received it, so traded it for more coal.

Darkhadou

Neo Member
Got 2 decent things (Dota 2 Beta which I'm not even fond of now) and a Steam Codemasters Racing Pack which I'll be giving to a friend sometime.

Other than that I traded coal for Portal 2, damn that game was so good x_x

kafiend

There should have been a double achievement for those that unlinked their Facebook from Steam in under 5 seconds after linking it.

Yaska

23 done, and only coal and worthless vouchers. Wish there would even be a coupon for some good game, but nooo. -50% off droplitz :/

So, how many objectives has everyone actually done so far? 34 for me:

30 So far. First achievement other than the signing up 33% off a value and a lump of coal was a game, other than that it's been 25 coal and four vouchers. I crafted 3 lots of 7 coal and got three more vouchers, two for games I already own.

33% off valve
25% off sega
50% Virtuatennis 4 (Will never ever use)
50% shadowgrounds pack (have)
50% Osmos
50% Trauma (Have)
50% GTA SA (Might Keep)
50% Universal Sandbox (Will probably be $2.50 in the next couple of days anyway)

If anyone desperately wants one or wants to trade for something feel free to pm me. That reminds me I still have to do the whole trade achievement thing, so if anyone wants to help out it would be greatly appreciated.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How is Xotic? It looks pretty cool, is it worth $2.49 ?

Super weird. It's like an FPS, only the shooting is really bad and the enemies are braindead bullet expelling machines, but there's a weird kind of platforming / score attack element to it where you need to keep shooting orbs on the floor, walls, or ceilings to get a combo chain going and using really weird platforming mechanics to get tokens in the air. I can't say that it's good, but it's definitely different and I don't regret buying it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So, in the 28 hours my game was on sale for 75% off, I made approximately 366 times as much REVENUE (even counting that fact that I only gained one-fourth as much per purchase) as a single day before the Holiday Sales started.

366 times.

Guys, I made a video game pretty much for fun and people are buying it and liking it and sending me nice E-mails about it.

Life is so awesome right now.

<3 everyone

Edit: Check this out: first post I ever made on GAF regarding Sequence, dated July 22nd, 2008

I've seen a lot of Reddit love for your game the past few days. Word of mouth seems to be spreading over there

TGMIII

Where does the Devil Room appear and how do I make it more likely? Is that where the Krumpus is?

Binding of Isaac

Try not to get hit by anything during cave 1&2 including the boss, this increases the chance of the demon door appearing. He'll sometimes spawn inside of the demon door and for every time he doesn't the chance to see him next time will increase. Roll them dice.

Zzoram

I suck at Binding of Isaac though, the aiming feels weird to me, so I often get hit by bosses and sometimes just crowded rooms.

As for coal crafting, has anyone worked out what % chance we have of getting a game vs a coupon?

mrgone

Where does the Devil Room appear and how do I make it more likely? Is that where the Krumpus is?

Binding of Isaac

It appears in the boss room after you beat a boss. People say that beating the boss without getting hit makes it more likely that the room will appear, but I'm not certain whether or not that's true. When that room appears you have a 10% chance of fighting Krampus, which makes it a chair-tossingly annoying thing when Krampus kills you.

Zzoram

It appears in the boss room after you beat a boss. People say that beating the boss without getting hit makes it more likely that the room will appear, but I'm not certain whether or not that's true. When that room appears you have a 10% chance of fighting Krampus, which makes it a chair-tossingly annoying thing when Krampus kills you.

So can you get to Krampus from the 1st or 2nd floor? I'm too terrible at this game to get past the 2nd floor.

mrgone

So can you get to Krampus from the 1st or 2nd floor? I'm too terrible at this game to get past the 2nd floor.

I think you can get him after any boss, it's just that the likelyhood of actually getting him at all is pretty slim. Apparently the odds get better if you get Satan's room once without Krampus, then get it again on a later level, increasing from 10% to 50% then to 85%. But I don't have a clue how people actually get to see that room so many times in a single playthrough.

Ifrit

26 objectives so far, from the games I have, I still need to get the ones from:

- Rusty Hearts
- Champions Online
- Rise of the Immortals
- Rock of Ages
- Renegade ops

Got lucky by getting a couple of games, a couple of coupons and then coal, which I already traded for some of the games from my wishlist.

Is today the last day for new deals?

TGMIII

Here's what I did. Try your best to clear caves 1&2 without getting hit, once you beat the boss of caves 2 reset if no demon door appears and if one did but you didn't find the boss in it just reset anyway. Took me 15 minutes this way.

chixdiggit

So what's the word on Xotic? The concept seems pretty awesome and right up my alley (arcade score attack FPS) but I won't have time to try the demo by the time the daily is over.

How is Xotic? It looks pretty cool, is it worth $2.49 ?

The game is far from perfect but it has an addictive quality to it. It's pretty easy to play but the fun is in mastering a level for a high score. I definitely think it's well worth $2.50

Wired

Did the link to Facebook achivement and got Portal 2, the only worthwhile thing I've won. Too bad I bought it a couple of days ago ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've only done 13 because I didn't own many of the games and wasn't keen on buying games just for achievements.

The trick is not to buy the games for achievements, but to buy them because they're awesome and 75% off. Almost no one who buys all the indie titles "for the achievements" actually gets ripped off, because by and large they're quite high quality!

TP17

11 objectives + the bonus item at the beginning = 3 coupons and 9 coal (5 of which I traded for Frozen Synapse).

Can't complain at a free game for doing things like adding games to a wishlist.

mrgone

That's usually how it goes. The achievements, most of the time, just get you to look at a game you might not otherwise consider.

Sort of unrelated, anyone have any opinions about the Shogun 2 DLC?

chixdiggit

The trick is not to buy the games for achievements, but to buy them because they're awesome and 75% off. Almost no one who buys all the indie titles "for the achievements" actually gets ripped off, because by and large they're quite high quality!

Very true statement. I have 39 objectives complete and didn't buy a single game I felt was not worth the money or I wasn't interested in.

yea, for some reason Valve randomly added 3 TF2 hats as possible prizes yesterday. The Santa Hat is the most common, then a Scrooge stovepipe hat, and then the gift box hat is the rarest hat prize.

Kind of lame, especially for people who don't play TF2

tsab

26 objectives so far, from the games I have, I still need to get the ones from:

- Rusty Hearts
- Champions Online
- Rise of the Immortals
- Rock of Ages
- Renegade ops

Got lucky by getting a couple of games, a couple of coupons and then coal, which I already traded for some of the games from my wishlist.

Is today the last day for new deals?

Achievements/Trophies isn't my thing and I don't have alot of free time to hunt for the steam objectives but I found Santa relative easy. It's on the
first level on the new campaign
Maybe 20minutes in

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hold up... 50% off Sega games coupon?! It's times like this I lament that Football Manager's not available in my locale. If it's even valid for the coupon that is.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Weird, I noticed my TF2 inventory has more stuff in it. 2 pages instead of 1.

EDIT: Weirder, now it's gone back to 25 items. Wonder why I temporarily had 40 items listed.

One item was "Cheater's Lament - Though some would stop at nothing to achieve hats, you remained resolute and incorruptible in your quest for head decorations. For that, you have been rewarded.", and
"The Baseline Benefactor's Spirit Of Giving - The more gifts you give away, the bigger your heart will get! Get what gift-givers call "the Smissmass spirit," and what cardiologists call hypertrophic cardiomyopathy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom