• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
I paid $2 to watch it collect dust on my account.

Oh well at least you bought it. That's 1 sale closer to convincing Sega to fund a sequel!

:(

That game ran like ass on my PC which is quite capable of running everything. Is it best practice to use a controller to actually have it function?

My practice is to use a controller on anything that fully supports it as far as single player games go. I've heard some of the minigames are pretty bad on mouse and keyboard too.

sprinkles

Decided to pull the trigger on Dragon Commander. It's not like I'm saving money for a particular game in this sale, may as well get the good stuff as it comes up.
Please tell us what you think of it. I am really fascinated by the combination of genres in the game, but the price is still too high for an impulse buy for me.

Downhome

My guess is that's as low as it'll go. I don't think it's on Amazon or GMG so I don't know of another retailer that would undercut that price.

Thanks, I got that for $2.50 from Steam and got a Steam code on Amazon for Brothers for $5.xx or so.

Now just to get a good deal on Gone Home. Too bad I missed the deal from yesterday or the day before. I went to get it for $5 earlier today and noticed it had ended. :(

Derrick01

Banned
Please tell us what you think of it. I am really fascinated by the combination of genres in the game, but the price is still too high for an impulse buy for me.

I will eventually. Right now I'm trying to get through europa universalis IV, fire emblem and trying to finish Zelda in time for our GOTY voting. After that I'll still have a lot of stuff to play but I'll probably prioritize Dragon Commander first.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam price errors are the new steam sales.

$2 wasn't a price mistake, if I recall it was a daily deal.

Actually it was part of a SEGA publisher weekend.

SEGASTEAMSALE.jpg

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Nice price, but also a good indication that Steam sales aren't what they used to be.

Yes, is really hard to disagree with that, back in the day things were crazy, and then we got used to it but now 66% just doesn't cut it.

GaussTek

Was going to grab Savant - Ascent for $1 on Steam, but then I realized that there was a HB $2 pack that also includes the Android version (which is $2 itself from Google Play), so I decided to buy that one, and it came with a Steam key, yay!

I can't wait to play Alpha Protocol, but seeing as this is an Obsidian game are there any community patches I should get or just anything I should know before I play?

lord

i spent 50 dollars already :( im so weak, i'm not upgrading my gpu until later next month but it's a good time to begin amassing a backlog for it

Tizoc

Final Fantasy 8 is $8 on Steam & Amazon BTW
Guess I'll grab it at that price soon.

Oh and can anyone confirm if u get a $5 code from Amazon if u buy FF8 from there?

Also which should I get? Crysis or Crysis Warhead?

Fuck Dark Fact. I liked Ys 1 up until the Darm Tower. The tower itself is manageable, despite some absolute bullshit sections, floor 17 with that linear hallway and those asshole scorpion things or the completely nonsensical smash the nondescript pillar to pass through the hallway of death puzzle, but Dark Fact can go fuck himself. That boss is such complete and utter bullshit. Constant barrage of spam that lands where you were standing, the impacts have AoE's so there's more spam and then when you successfully land a hit on Dark Fact, the ground falls away. If you happen to be standing on that section of the floor, you're instantly dead. I keep getting him to half health and dying and, for reasons unknown, can't even use my equipped health potion. That's such a dumb arbitrary restriction.

I like Ys VII and I'm enjoying Ys IV but god damn if Ys 1 isn't trying my patience. I never want to try and play this game on Nightmare.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The only problem I've found so far in Sonic & ASRT is that everyone on the multiplayer is ridiculously good.

Playing the time trials and going against the Ghosts will help immensely for you to learn the track.

Oh and some tips.
1. Drifting gets you boosting. Note that if you are in the air during a jump or fall, you can hold down the drift button and start the boosting process to shave off some time.
2. Tricks give boosts. You get a boost if you do a trick as your plane turns into a car/boat.
3. Save the boost for when you are going top speed or right after a boost pad.
4. You gain extra speed by flying down, just like a real plane due to gravity.
5. Speed stat isn't the most important in regular races against enemies with items, boost and acceleration can often prove more valuable.
6. The smaller cars can sometimes be better if you need to make quick turns.
7. Most important of all while flying. If you fly toward an object and about to hit it, but do a trick to avoid it, you get a risk boost and that can drastically speed you up.
8. Football Manager is GOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL! That's not a tip, he's just my favourite.

Derrick01

Banned
I can't wait to play Alpha Protocol, but seeing as this is an Obsidian game are there any community patches I should get or just anything I should know before I play?

AP ran pretty fine on my PC which was built in 2010 (same year as the game released). It's not a very demanding or even all that buggy compared to their bigger RPGs. All you need to know about the combat is it's extremely janky and your best bet would be to put points in pistols and stealth, don't bother wasting points on any other kind of weapon. I would recommend leveling whatever tree has the minigame improvements in them too, just to make life a bit easier.

AHA-Lambda

Can anyone give any impressions on Steamworld Dig, Volgarr the Viking or The Novelist?

I really wish more indie games came with demos given the recent glut of them released =/

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Don't play it like a third person shooter. It's an RPG, each shot is a roll of the dice.
Is this accurate? No matter how well I aim it's down to a roll of dice?
Thanks god I didn't get very far into it, I was playing it like stealth-shooter.

I feel like it should be done. So hello and welcome to all those joining us for the daily deals, specials, and flash deals. Remember that in-between Steam Sales we have a regular Steam thread and it would be nice if you come join us when this is done.

Be warned, aggressive friendliness is rampant.
As a pretty new guy here that in-between Steam thread seemed kinda scary. It moved so fast...
This one moves pretty fast too but for some reason I feel it's at least somewhat easier to keep up with it.

But you people seem pretty cool so I'd like to join that thread too. I'll try.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

It's fantastic. Tough as nails, but it's very exciting. Going into battles knowing the chips are stacked against you and turning it around by properly using dragon form is exciting. The characters are charming and incredibly well-written, which is good because a lot of your time in the campaign will be spent off the battlefield.

I'd recommend it at full price, but at $20 it's a no-brainer. Great game.

Just remember to upgrade your pistol and use that as your main weapon

Don't play it like a third person shooter. It's an RPG, each shot is a roll of the dice.

AP ran pretty fine on my PC which was built in 2010 (same year as the game released). It's not a very demanding or even all that buggy compared to their bigger RPGs. All you need to know about the combat is it's extremely janky and your best bet would be to put points in pistols and stealth, don't bother wasting points on any other kind of weapon. I would recommend leveling whatever tree has the minigame improvements in them too, just to make life a bit easier.

Thanks guys. This sounds like the perfect game to mow through over christmas break.

any roguelikes on sale i should know about? also, what's the opinion on project zomboid, rust, and nether.

too many games.

Dungeons of Dredmor is 50% off, both regular version and complete. It might hit a daily deal, but even at $2.49 for regular and $3.49 for complete, it's a steal and a half. Maybe wait for it to become a steal-and-three-quarters, but if not, pick it up on the last day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom