• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinkles

Fuck Dark Fact. I liked Ys 1 up until the Darm Tower. The tower itself is manageable, despite some absolute bullshit sections, floor 17 with that linear hallway and those asshole scorpion things or the completely nonsensical smash the nondescript pillar to pass through the hallway of death puzzle, but Dark Fact can go fuck himself. That boss is such complete and utter bullshit. Constant barrage of spam that lands where you were standing, the impacts have AoE's so there's more spam and then when you successfully land a hit on Dark Fact, the ground falls away. If you happen to be standing on that section of the floor, you're instantly dead. I keep getting him to half health and dying and, for reasons unknown, can't even use my equipped health potion. That's such a dumb arbitrary restriction.

I like Ys VII and I'm enjoying Ys IV but god damn if Ys 1 isn't trying my patience. I never want to try and play this game on Nightmare.
Try running in circles around the outer edge and do not try to force hits onto Dark Fact unless he flies into your running path. I was frustrated as well (on normal) but the fight is fast and quickly over.

Humble thanks to gngf123 for the Mystery Box!

maneil99

I should probably do a giveaway, but I already did one this month. Then again, I dont want to feel like a lurker.

Lurker_SC-G_Game1.jpg

Not feeling Ms. Splosion Man. Seems like a well designed game but not clicking with it. Would be probably really good game for my
non-existent
girlfriend though I couldn't never show her my
steam game count
. Better go padding
my steam count to wash the sadness away /jk

Now..time for some Recettear

1345270522703.gif

MiKeD

Banned
Jørdan;94270858 said:
I know what it's like having an outdated PC so while not exhaustive by any means, some of these games may be suitable. If you check your system properties against the Steam store page you'll be able to weed out any of the games listed below that aren't suitable. As time is a factor I've included a bunch of games that normally have a higher discount than present. Most if not all will receive a 75% discount during the sale at some point, not many are at their highest discount we usually see.

50%

Age of Wonders, Cave Story+, Darwinia, Counter-Strike, Democracy 2, Gothic II: Gold Edition, Grand Theft Auto III, Half-Life, Hearts of Iron 2 Complete, QUAKE, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Railroad Tycoon II Platinum, Myst: Masterpiece Edition, Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete, Sid Meier's Pirates!, SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition, SEGA Classics, Morrowind® Game of all Time Edition, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® 3 Gold, Rome: Total War™, Doom Classic Complete, Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War, Wolfenstein 3D, Terraria.

60-75%

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, Dungeon Siege, Victoria I Complete, Commandos, Fallout Collection, Port Royale 2, Psychonauts, Sacrifice, Serious Sam Classic, Wizardry.

That took forever so hopefully you see it and it helps narrow down some games you can enjoy.

Edit: GOG has a sale on many of its games that have low requirements.
We won't tell Gaben.

This is just fantastic. Thanks.
Also appreciate all the recommendations by others, thanks for those aswell.

Cudder

Really interested in trying Papers Please. Will it get cheaper than it already is? Or do you think there is any chance of it getting ported to Vita/PS3?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Can anyone give any impressions on Steamworld Dig, Volgarr the Viking or The Novelist?

I really wish more indie games came with demos given the recent glut of them released =/

For Steamworld Dig, I can give you the thoughts of two perspectives.
mannerbot http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93778495&postcount=14093
Myself http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93780245&postcount=14113
mannerbot http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93780841&postcount=14118
Myself http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93781473&postcount=14132

Völgarr the Viking is a tribute to an old school Mega Drive game. One in which learning where all the enemies are, hidden objects, improving in combat skill, and the thrill of overcoming difficulty is key. It's a 2D action side scroller where you only fight with a spear to throw, sword to slash, and shield to defend and while that doesn't seem like much you have more than enough to make it through to the end and kill everything.
It's a title to get if you enjoy old SEGA Mega Drive (aka Genesis) action games and don't mind dying and having to restart over from the start of the level each time you do.

PBalfredo

Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai is distinct and different from what's currently on sale, right? Think it would have it's own discount later?

Fuck Dark Fact. I liked Ys 1 up until the Darm Tower. The tower itself is manageable, despite some absolute bullshit sections, floor 17 with that linear hallway and those asshole scorpion things or the completely nonsensical smash the nondescript pillar to pass through the hallway of death puzzle, but Dark Fact can go fuck himself. That boss is such complete and utter bullshit. Constant barrage of spam that lands where you were standing, the impacts have AoE's so there's more spam and then when you successfully land a hit on Dark Fact, the ground falls away. If you happen to be standing on that section of the floor, you're instantly dead. I keep getting him to half health and dying and, for reasons unknown, can't even use my equipped health potion. That's such a dumb arbitrary restriction.

I like Ys VII and I'm enjoying Ys IV but god damn if Ys 1 isn't trying my patience. I never want to try and play this game on Nightmare.

I just stopped playing Ys 1 on Nightmare and see your comment. Fuck Dark Fact and Vagullion.

You should play Origin as well, it's the best Ys

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
This may have already been stated but I'll say it just in case. The holiday reward items from the following games are actually +1 DLC to your account that can be unpacked from the inventory:

• Ragnarok Online 2
  • Realm of the Mad God
  • Spiral Knights
  • Star Conflict
  • Stronghold Kingdoms
  • War Thunder

slayzz

Awesome soundtrack in this game. Big fan of it on PSN.

ModBot said:
Instructions for slayzz:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shatter -- MB-81A52ECE80F33EE8 - Taken by kutthoat5150. 12 entrants total.

t1387581488z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-A1D2B40BD695AEF1 - Taken by Kifimbo

t1387591568z1.png

jhawk6

Be nice to see Baldurs Gate II EE hit a flash or daily sale. On the other hand, probably wouldnt play any other games for a while if I bought that one.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Awesome giveaway, anonymous benefactor! And all our other generous gift givers. Steam-GAF proving itself Best-GAF yet again.

Miker

So guys, Crysis 1 or Crysis Warhead, or should I get both?

I'd say both. Crysis 1 is a bigger, wider experience, while Warhead is a shorter, more focused (more linear) experience. I think I actually preferred Warhead to Crysis, as the original felt a bit too wide at times.

Ooh I've been wanting Guacamelee, would be nice if I win. This is my first time dealing with Modbot, so I was okay with just PMing it the "Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-A1D2B40BD695AEF1 - Taken by Kifimbo" as the body and nothing else right?

Ooh I've been wanting Guacamelee, would be nice if I win. This is my first time dealing with Modbot, so I was okay with just PMing it the "Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-A1D2B40BD695AEF1 - Taken by Kifimbo" as the body and nothing else right?

yeah, as long as you had something in the header, I believe

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Holy shit the Winter Cards are worth a bit, eh?

I think it's because you can craft unlimited badges, so the people that want to craft badges aren't going to stop when they've bought 5 of each. Plus everyone's still waiting to see if they get a full set from voting/buying games etc. Imagine the prices will fluctuate wildly once the deadline for having them approaches, people won't want to hold onto them and then lose them when it hits.

slayzz

pm Modbot

anything in the title

and just " MB-A1D2B40BD695AEF1 - Taken by Kifimbo " in the body.

LuffyZoro

Playing the time trials and going against the Ghosts will help immensely for you to learn the track.

Oh and some tips.
1. Drifting gets you boosting. Note that if you are in the air during a jump or fall, you can hold down the drift button and start the boosting process to shave off some time.
2. Tricks give boosts. You get a boost if you do a trick as your plane turns into a car/boat.
3. Save the boost for when you are going top speed or right after a boost pad.
4. You gain extra speed by flying down, just like a real plane due to gravity.
5. Speed stat isn't the most important in regular races against enemies with items, boost and acceleration can often prove more valuable.
6. The smaller cars can sometimes be better if you need to make quick turns.
7. Most important of all while flying. If you fly toward an object and about to hit it, but do a trick to avoid it, you get a risk boost and that can drastically speed you up.
8. Football Manager is GOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL! That's not a tip, he's just my favourite.

Ok, thanks. I've been playing Tails because I always like good handling in racing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom