• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*reads conversation about money spent on steam*
*hides in shame*

-MD-

I bought my first steam game 7 months ago - 1€ for Rome: Total War. Before that I had a few bundles in my account.

Before summer sale this year I had probably like 100 games
Before autumn sale (last month) I had 450 games
Now I'm sitting at 608 games and counting

I also hadn't touched 89% my games (not even launched) before autumn sale. Though recently having bought finally a PC that runs the games that I've bought I have started playing some games on a decent paces and also have started idling games for cards too so the % has decreased since.

Do you have any self control lol?

Don't answer that.

I have ~44 "Installed" games which are on either on my 2x 1TB drives. Then I have an entire category as "XXNEVERXX" which sits at the bottom of my list has about 80 games from various Humble Bundles. Remaining 60 or so are in limbo of not installed but not ruling out as playing at some point.

Cheddahz

Banned
Any impressions on Starbound? I know it's not on sale, but I kinda want something to play over my winter break (since I don't go back to school for almost a month)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My library grew at a ridiculous pace this year (from 3 to 242), I had a Steam account for years but only built a gaming rig last February.

I'm glad I'm managing to not buy much this sale though, most of what I want short-term I already got in a previous one or just isn't getting a (good) discount (or if it's getting a good one it's something I won't play soon enough so I can wait a while more for when it's on sale again).

I was of the same mind but playing it bothered me even more than I thought it might. I found it a distinctly disconcerting and uncomfortable experience :/. Not that I'm trying to put you off the game; you might take to it like so many others seem to although it is yet to take me like that, sadly.
Yeah, I hope it's a non-issue for me, we'll see. I've been curious about it for a while now because of the good reception.

It's better to start with the base game since the DLC adds many new items, enemies, etc, making the game a little harder. Even the level layouts and conditions change.
I'll be doing that, thanks for the suggestion. I'll follow Rickenslacker's tip and leave the DLC in my inventory to activate in the future so I don't miss the discount.

Jintor

Once again saved by the fact I already bought everything. DX:HR:DC for $5 is crazy though, I paid... I dunno. TWICE that amount last sale. (Or maybe it was four times).

Eh, I guess it was worth it since i put in another 30 hours or so, but still. Half-kicking myself.

-MD-

My younger brother just made like 30 bucks with mabinogi + snow globes. the game has 25 card drops, is free-to-play, cards sell at $.99, emoticons and wallpapers are around $10.

Your brother probably spent hundreds of dollars on Mabinogi if he got 25 card drops, you get 1 card per $9 spent.

Arthea

As we are talking about buying habits, mine probably get worse and worse. At first I was adamant about not buying games I already own, now I don't even think in those terms anymore, not only huge amount of my library is games I already have and played, I did some tipple dipping too.
Then again I look at Jasec library and at once feel better (><)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do you mean increased your game count by that much? Pretty sure if you bought games on Steam and not dlc that math just wouldn't add up. I wish that were the case, like the golden era of the fabled 90% off of yore.

I'm including bundles and gifts because they're part of the community and ecosystem.

Deadly

As we are talking about buying habits, mine probably get worse and worse. At first I was adamant about not buying games I already own, now I don't even think in those terms anymore, not only huge amount of my library is games I already have and played, I did some tipple dipping too.
Then again I look at Jasec library and at once feel better (><)
Damn triple dip? What could the reason be for the 3rd time?

To be fair Camel Master probably spent less than $1000 to get those games.

This is true I think. Enchanted Steam shows that I've put 410 dollars to my steam store purchases and most my games are from bundles though I've bought a lot from greenmangaming and such. But I think that still stays below $1000

My most expensive purchases are
1. Football Manager 2014 for 28
2. Football Manager 2010 for 20 (actually this was my first steam game, retail though)
3. Tomb Raider Collection for 17 as a Gift
4. Borderlands 2+Season pass for 13.50
5. Can't think of a 10+ buy more than maybe a gift to a friend

Oh yeah, Skyrim Legendary for 13,50, that's it.

-MD- said:
Do you have any self control lol?

Don't answer that.

I have only good deals :). And endless lust to find games that spark my video game enthusiasm (or maybe to satisfy my collectors itch). I'm a bit of game collector outside of steam too, maybe 100ish PS3 games and have some other consoles too, though they have bit the dust lately.

Colin. said:
Thank you, I now feel better about my own buying habits.

I'm here to help :)

But I found one spare key and now I must punish someone of you to increase your backlog by +1

ModBot said:
Instructions for Camel Master:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-867D7850E1D913EE - Taken by Arthea. 10 entrants total.

t1387665282z1.png

Oh I forgot to name it. It's Magicka + 2 DLC from Humble Jumbo Bundle

Arthea

Damn triple dip? What could the reason be for the 3rd time?

Some of those were games I actually played again, on steam, for example clash of heroes, so, it's not as bad as it looks. Other, older games like fallouts and such, I had on disks, later on gog and now on steam. Don't ask me why I do this, I don't know (><)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, it's actually a metric I'm starting to use in various immersion sims to value their worth. My tests so far have determined:

Deus Ex - &#9745;
Invisible War - &#9746;
Human Revolution - &#9746;
Dishonoured - &#9746;

So basically those other games are worthless.
I'd pay to watch an internet series of you trying that in different games, lol

dani_dc

A friend of mine wants to launch a F2P game that's not available on his region.

I recall there being some way of doing so via a browser.

Google hasn't been too helpefull so far, any idea of how to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom