• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezn0r

I can't believe I've waited this long to finally grab Rogue Legacy. This game is SO FUN. Way to throw a wrench into my GotY list!

Same here, I buy a LOT of the cheaper Steam titles during the sales and don't usually make it back to them that much after trying them out. I keep catching myself loading that up when I have some open time.

AkuMifune

Banned
Merry Christmas eve morning, people of based future past.

spaceballs.gif

Miker

Since everybody will be buying nu-Tomb Raider from Amazon today for $5, I'll throw out my impressions along with everybody else:

It's a solid, fun little game that isn't likely to beat your expectations in any way, but is eminently playable and satisfying regardless. The story is jam-packed with cliches and you can guess the ending from the very first cutscenes, but it moves along at a steady pace and the cast isn't unlikeable so much as bland.

Lara's arc has been talked about a lot, and all the criticism leveled at her progression as a character is probably all valid. But here's the thing - I didn't really care, because it was goofy and empowering. If you're the type to laugh at games that take themselves seriously, as opposed to the type who waxes on about ludonarrative dissonance, chances are you'll have a good time despite the writing on display.

It plays like, well, Uncharted, and, uh, a more open Uncharted. It doesn't really play like the original games, as far as I know. The platforming is extremely generous in letting you grab onto everything, and checkpoints are insanely generous (you actually keep shit you collected after you die). The scenery and basic environmental puzzles were both engaging enough for me to spend time scrounging for scrap and relics and all sorts of almost-Ubisoft-tier collectibles, which is a compliment coming from someone who doesn't like checklists in games. It's 99% optional, so you can go from set piece to set piece if you'd like.

The combat, of which there is a fair amount, is spread throughout the game pretty well. It's surprisingly satisfying, and I would personally put the shooting feedback relatively high up on my list of 3rd-person shooters (higher than Uncharted, for my tastes). Combat also follows the same gentle progression arc, so your guns get better and stuff (and have visual changes, which is always a plus).

I'd give it a solid 8/10 - dock off points if you're [1] tired of AAA games (I don't play them that often) or [2] concerned about ludonarrative dissonance or [3] just not interested in how it plays (like a more open Uncharted). It really is about as AAA as AAA games come, though, and if you're fine with that, go ahead and grab it - it's dirt cheap anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Merry Xmas SteamGAF!

it's not like you'll be missing much. Other than the whole C&C legacy thing. Kind of embarassing EA hasn't put that on gog.com yet. They're old games, I'm not going to buy them just to have be gone again when EA's server go offline. :|

It's mostly for the ME bundle.

NotSelf

Since everybody will be buying nu-Tomb Raider from Amazon today for $5, I'll throw out my impressions along with everybody else:

It's a solid, fun little game that isn't likely to beat your expectations in any way, but is eminently playable and satisfying regardless. The story is jam-packed with cliches and you can guess the ending from the very first cutscenes, but it moves along at a steady pace and the cast isn't unlikeable so much as bland.

Lara's arc has been talked about a lot, and all the criticism leveled at her progression as a character is probably all valid. But here's the thing - I didn't really care, because it was goofy and empowering. If you're the type to laugh at games that take themselves seriously, as opposed to the type who waxes on about ludonarrative dissonance, chances are you'll have a good time despite the writing on display.

It plays like, well, Uncharted, and, uh, a more open Uncharted. It doesn't really play like the original games, as far as I know. The platforming is extremely generous in letting you grab onto everything, and checkpoints are insanely generous (you actually keep shit you collected after you die). The scenery and basic environmental puzzles were both engaging enough for me to spend time scrounging for scrap and relics and all sorts of almost-Ubisoft-tier collectibles, which is a compliment coming from someone who doesn't like checklists in games. It's 99% optional, so you can go from set piece to set piece if you'd like.

The combat, of which there is a fair amount, is spread throughout the game pretty well. It's surprisingly satisfying, and I would personally put the shooting feedback relatively high up on my list of 3rd-person shooters (higher than Uncharted, for my tastes). Combat also follows the same gentle progression arc, so your guns get better and stuff (and have visual changes, which is always a plus).

I'd give it a solid 8/10 - dock off points if you're [1] tired of AAA games (I don't play them that often) or [2] concerned about ludonarrative dissonance or [3] just not interested in how it plays (like a more open Uncharted).

Thanks.

Still on the fence if i should just go for the Tomb Raider Collection.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Frohe Weihnachten alle zusammen!
(Merry Christmas guys!)

A little something that was still in my inventory since last year

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut -- MB-E9F28EDC550C4BDC

t1387912523z1.png

And feel free to add me to your friend lists, always room for more GAF love :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/godzillasushi

Miker

Any chance we'll see better sales for Christmas Eve or Christmas or does that not matter? Not necessarily price wise, but title wise.

Highly doubt it. I don't think that's been the case in past years. Besides, "title wise" is too subjective - who's to say one day is better than any other? I think it'll just be a big grab bag like every day. Hopefully it shows up with something you (or the rest of us) want, though.

Lain

I nominate MirrorMoon EP. Doorways is an episodic title that isn't done yet (I think it's going to have four chapters) and Gnomoria is Dwarf Fortress's simpler, flashier younger brother.

Copons would want you to support the fledgling Italian small-dev scene anyway. (Help me remember, someone: are some of the Santa Ragione devs on GAF?)

...Gnomoria will probably win regardless of what you vote for though!

Wouldn't mind making Copons happy. Voted for MirronMoon EP.

Dambrosi

Banned
Since everybody will be buying nu-Tomb Raider from Amazon today for $5
Yeah, I decided to buy it myself. £1.50 transaction tax be damned.

I'm looking forward to it. It's a ways behind in my queue, though. It'll have to wait till I've broken my Hearthstone cherry, for starters.

Arthea

You know what's funny? as we prepare the Xmas table there are 4 laptops around and someone is playing Skyrim, while I post on gaf and wait for new dailies. (><)

Backlogger

I've been busy with pre-Christmas festivities so I probably missed the discussion. How is Contagion? Specifically co-op mode? Seems like a great price for an early access game, but I don't usually pull the trigger on multi-player only games.

Kadin

Nothing starts out a Christmas Eve morning like a McDonalds breakfast meal and a shit-ton of wrapping to get done. Hope everyone has a great day today and tomorrow. I'll still be trying to find great deals on Steam while with my family! :D

mug

Anyone have a spare Sleeping Dogs key and feeling generous? I'm rather tapped out from all the holiday shopping :(

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I can't find a single comment about Darkout from a single person I know.

Either there is a super hidden relatively new gem on a decent discount...or...

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Anyone have a spare Sleeping Dogs key and feeling generous? I'm rather tapped out from all the holiday shopping :(
Did...the one woo and indeed hoo post not work for you?

If it was taken, I hope somebody PMed him a thank you... :/

spirity

Every time I see that phrase I laugh and think of Jim Sterlings mockery of it. Games are entertainment and escapism for me, and I've never taken ludonicto doringo seriously. It's not something I've ever considered while judging a games qualities.

And yeah, Tomb Raider is a fine game.

Arthea

I can't find a single comment about Darkout from a single person I know.

Either there is a super hidden relatively new gem on a decent discount...or...

I'm interested in Darkout myself, but it seems nobody played it yet, so I'll leave it till next sale and more friendly price.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My Christmas Eve morning is composed of me waking up in a cheap hotel somewhere in California with my two younger (but still adult) siblings still laying around and sleeping (we stopped here late) as we travel down to Southern California together to spend Christmas and New Years with family that lives down there, including our grandmother (the one that's living from our Dad's side), an aunt and uncle and two younger cousins and our parents. And as I woke up earlier than they did, just browsing stuff on my phone.

I'm surprisingly content. Hope today's sales are half-way decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom