• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

I'm going to go on record and say that crafting the holiday badge, especially to some of the ridiculous levels I've seen, is a waste of money.

The average price to complete the badge right now is about $5. Even if you get all of your cards from buying games and crafting other badges, your trade off is still $5 you could have in your Steam wallet to buy more games.

I guess there is an off chance that you'll craft the badge and win an item that's worth more than $5. But still, I don't think I'm going to craft even a level 1 badge this sale.

If the last sale with cards is any indication, they will be super cheap after the sale and you can buy them for pennies and craft badges then.

Seanspeed

Banned
A friend of mine gifted me this. Im so happy right now. :D

f327d6c622.jpg
That is a damn good friend.

C4rter

Giving away some keys from previous humble bundles.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mirror's Edge Steam Key -- MB-0FE9D26537EFA94B
Dead Space Steam Key -- MB-F789C357ED617C0F
Organ Trail Director's Cut Steam key -- MB-053CEB86C4C212C9
vRvbDCu.png
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition Origin Key -- MB-33EAFDB50B42D3E1
vRvbDCu.png
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising Origin Key -- MB-D8C2B3D09795652F
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor Origin Key -- MB-401D73EBA3C05295 - Taken by almostheathen
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box Origin Key -- MB-F2FA0E381A3A2429
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge Origin Key -- MB-F91029F5F21F21F2 - Taken by gurm3n
Broken Sword Director's Cut Steam key -- MB-E686AA707232A5CD

t1387571408z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Will the bug in Enhanced Steam ever get fixed where when you click on a marketable inventory item it sometimes says "Lowest price: Sold!"? Presumably you could just detect if the text you scraped says "Sold" and then retry your scrape?

I've got the bug report but it's a little trickier than you'd think. If I just look for the word "Sold" that would only fix the issue for people browsing in English.

Typically market items don't sell this fast, so I assume you're talking about the Snow Globe cards.

If the last sale with cards is any indication, they will be super cheap after the sale and you can buy them for pennies and craft badges then.

Read the fine print: the cards will disappear from everyone's inventory after the sale is over.

Hey jshackles, there's something weird going on with the "lowest market price" function on some of the snowglobe cards in my inventory:

Lowest Price for Snow Globe #5: Sold!

What's up with that? Are you aware of this? Should I submit a bug report or something? :)

Edit:

I've got the bug report but it's a little trickier than you'd think. If I just look for the word "Sold" that would only fix the issue for people browsing in English.

Typically market items don't sell this fast, so I assume you're talking about the Snow Globe cards.

Beaten.

Arthea

Alice Madness Returns for 12.49. What do you guys think? Is there a chance of it going lower or even be a good deal for that price?

If you can paypal money, I strongly advise buying it through US gaffer, our price is ridiculous.

edited: beaten many times over

gabbo

Great... Had to open a support ticket for a double charge to my credit card after a failed purchase seems to have gone through. Hopefully Steam Support doesn't take days with this.

Chronoja

The cards have an expiration date AND the badges have infinite levels. The market can not saturate therefore the cards are unlikely devalue before the end of the sale.

Tbh this infinite badge thing kind of ruins what at least was just a fun little novelty. It really is just "here's a way for all the high rollers to give as much money as they can" but since everyone is so happy to net little bits of cash here and there I guess no-one wants to complain.

Whilst I can appreciate people like crafting badges and others like just selling the cards for a little extra money, I really wish they would bring back the challenges/achievements.

Required actually playing the games.

I completely agree. That coal sale was one my favourite sales on Steam; it got me to take a chance on a few games that I otherwise wouldn't have bought (such as The Binding of Isaac which is now my most played game on Steam) and try out others that sat in my collection unplayed. I long for its return but with the cards I think it'll be a significant time (if ever) until such a system returns.

Derrick01

Banned
Whilst I can appreciate people like crafting badges and others like just selling the cards for a little extra money, I really wish they would bring back the challenges/achievements.

Required actually playing the games.

I miss those too. That was also the last time a steam sale was impressive from a price point of view.

AHA-Lambda

Speaking of foils, I got one for Planetside 2 last night. I was excited since it is a f2p game so the value is probably higher.

I go to check the value, all of the foils are marketed well over $3...except the one I got.

Some jack ass undercut the price by $2 and the market collapsed...now 5 or 6 guys have followed suit

iblwWktjDkxZum.gif

The master race has a surprising amount of idiots in it.

cicero

The cards have an expiration date AND the badges have infinite levels. The market can not saturate therefore the cards are unlikely devalue before the end of the sale.

Tbh this infinite badge thing kind of ruins what at least was just a fun little novelty. It really is just "here's a way for all the high rollers to give as much money as they can" but since everyone is so happy to net little bits of cash here and there I guess no-one wants to complain.

Those high rollers will be driving card prices up though. They are basically subsidizing the purchases of the Steam underclass through their pursuit of worthless flashy badges. I would rather have more games than a badge.

derExperte

The cards have an expiration date AND the badges have infinite levels. The market can not saturate therefore the cards will unlikely devalue before the end of the sale.

Prices are finally going down from ca .50c to now around .35. But I agree with the rest, don't like that infinite badge thing. Crafted lvl 1 and I'll probably leave it at that (if the prices don't completely crash) when I would've maxed it out otherwise.

The_Monk

Already? Short game then. Nice, i'll be playing it during christmas.

Finished A:CM already?

Yes. Let there be no doubt. It was started, played and finished until the very last Credit Note fellow GAFfers:

DTGvzoC.png

I don't know how the people felt paying the Full price on Day one for this game, but I understand them. They wanted a good Aliens game. I've been a fan from the movies since the first one appeared in 1979. Every time I see that radar and I hear the "blink blink" on it I get really fond memories from the first time I saw the movies.

I remember when the Wii U version was the definitive version to get this game and then, this game never happened on said console. I only played the Single Player, watched all the Cut-scenes and finished the Story. I did try to find some Co-op too but I guess it's dead, which I understand.

The game makes sure you never forget its Title since you will often hear that they are, indeed Colonial Marines. The game could have had some potential, playing Aliens CM on those levels at dark while raining it was good! I love rain in games and that, combined with a dark night it's even better.

IA was very poor however, from both the enemies and your team mates. Also the hit detection seemed pretty flawed some times which may not help you in higher difficulties causing you some rage.

While watching the credits (why yes, I did watch them, until the end!) I saw a lot of "Thank you" from the Team to his/her family, friends, dogs, wifes, etc. which means they did put many hours in the game! It's just a shame it was not very good as much as I would like it to be. Here's my hope that one day a true modern Alien game will stay true to the movies and can be as scary and intense to play as it was for me the first time I saw the movies.

It was a fun Marathon and it has now reached its end. I intended to play this game instead of adding to a Backlog and that's exactly what I did! If you care for a more complete review of this game with much more depth and better vocabulary someone can point to the review of fellow GAFfer & Mod Stump. May this Marathon of Aliens CM can inspire many more of you to reduce a bit your backlogs!

*insert can't stop, going to steam sale gif here*

I completely agree. That coal sale was one my favourite sales on Steam; it got me to take a chance on a few games that I otherwise wouldn't have bought (such as The Binding of Isaac which is now my most played game on Steam) and try out others that sat in my collection unplayed. I long for its return but with the cards I think it'll be a significant time (if ever) until such a system returns.

I am trying to remember exactly what the chieve was but there was one particular one that had me playing Beat Hazard for hours. Good times.

I miss those too. That was also the last time a steam sale was impressive from a price point of view.

The card money should allow for better sale prices!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly don't see the appeal of Alice. It has meh platforming which only pines on looking good.
Just like the Rayman games

Silky

Banned
sBUsVsC.png

IM FUCKING READY. BRING IT ON DAY TWO.

Since Dishonored is a Daily, is there a chance of Dishonored GOTY being a daily, or should I just hop on the deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom