• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah crap, I was in the middle of buying up enough cards for one last set, still needed to pick up Monte, Sage, and Sparkles. Do I just craft the other 7 into gems? I haven't done any of the gem stuff yet, so I have none.

Might as well, unless you can trade for the cards you're missing within the next 55 minutes -- come 10am PT the cards will disappear from your inventory.

So I bought Civilization V last night. I've been to play it. Managed to download it, but now when I click play a box comes up saying "Finishing Installation" and then an error pops up saying "Steam Servers too busy to process your request"

Anyone else have this problem?

Might as well, unless you can trade for the cards you're missing within the next 55 minutes -- come 10am PT the cards will disappear from your inventory.
Do they always stop buying/selling an hour before the sale ends? I didn't see anything in the FAQ about it, so I assumed I had another hour to finish buying those last three cards.

Gurrry

Does Hack N Slash ever get more in depth into coding other than changing a few variables? This game intrigues me, but id rather use it as a learning tool rather than a weird quirky game.

xezuru

What's the point to gems again? You need an awful lot of gems to bid for games so it makes no sense to me.

I thought auctions were over, so typically now around 440-1000 Gems can craft you a booster pack that'll get you 3 cards.
This or craft 1000 gems into a pouch to sell, but I think it might be too late to sell Gems on crunch time.

Does Hack N Slash ever get more in depth into coding other than changing a few variables? This game intrigues me, but id rather use it as a learning tool rather than a weird quirky game.
Giant Bomb guys suggested it actually went too far, and the modifying goes too in depth

ZeroCDR

Cool, I sat on my foil until 12:30 PM in the hopes that it might appreciate in value and.. now I can have 200 gems.

I could have bought 1000 gems for less than what this foil would have sold for, thanks Valve!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do they always stop buying/selling an hour before the sale ends? I didn't see anything in the FAQ about it, so I assumed I had another hour to finish buying those last three cards.

This is the first time the cards haven't been marketable prior to their expiry date. As has been said already, my guess would be that it was done so people didn't buy up cards for gems in the closing minutes only to have them expire before they could be "recycled".

Chariot

This is the first time the cards haven't been marketable prior to their expiry date. As has been said already, my guess would be that it was done so people didn't buy up cards for gems in the closing minutes only to have them expire before they could be "recycled".
In that case a warning would've been nice. :/

Pezus

I thought auctions were over, so typically now around 440-1000 Gems can craft you a booster pack that'll get you 3 cards.
This or craft 1000 gems into a pouch to sell, but I think it might be too late to sell Gems on crunch time.

Hmm yeah the 440-1000 gems for 3 trading cards seems like a lot for what you get. I can craft only 20 gems per trading card max. It seems wiser to sell the trading cards and buy what you need, doesn't it?

Chariot

Hmm yeah the 440-1000 gems for 3 trading cards seems like a lot for what you get. I can craft only 20 gems per trading card max. It seems wiser to sell the trading cards and buy what you need, doesn't it?
You can craft background and emoticons too.

Pezus

And a sack of 1000 gems costs around $0.5. If it can only be used for getting booster packs (with 3 trading cards) I don't see why anyone would buy it lol. Each trading card costs less than $0.1 most of the time.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought Civilization V last night. I've been to play it. Managed to download it, but now when I click play a box comes up saying "Finishing Installation" and then an error pops up saying "Steam Servers too busy to process your request"

Anyone else have this problem?

Give it half an hour and try again. I'm guessing there's a flurry of activity on Steam right now as the sale is coming to an end.

total damage to the wallet:

South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Forest
Age of Mythology EX
You Need A Budget 4
Resident Evil 4
Quake 4
Saints Row IV Game of the Century Edition
Shadow Warrior
Metal Gear Rising
Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Alien: Isolation
The Evil Within

MUnited83

For you.
And a sack of 1000 gems costs around $0.5. If it can only be used for getting booster packs (with 3 trading cards) I don't see why anyone would buy it lol. Each trading card costs less than $0.1 most of the time.

That's why you get smart and craft boosters of games with 0,20€ and up cards...

Altima

This is a sum up of this Steam sale for me both from gift and from my purchase. $39 is all I spent.

Osq9180.jpg

So instead they just moved that annoyance up an hour without any warning. Guess I've got 140 gems. Woo woo? :)

frontovik

Banned
Neverending Nightmares
RUSE
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
CK II - Tales of Treachery
The Marvelous Miss Take

for roughly $30-$40.

Panda Rin

Lethal League
Mount and Blade: Warband
One Finger Death Punch
Nuclear Throne
Endless Legend
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Europa Universalis IV (gift)
Hammerwatch (gift)
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Magicite
Valiant Hearts
Dragonborn
Age of Empires II

Total Damage: ~$64

despite what everyone has said, it's been a very good sale for me.

FoneBone

Total haul:

Steam: Trine, Hydrophobia
GMG: Mini Ninjas, Devil May Cry 4, Dear Esther
Nuuvem: Aliens vs. Predator (2010), Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

Only about $17 spent in total after coupons and trading card sales... and I had enough of a backlog before this.

I bought Ground Zeroes a minute ago, finally jumped on it mostly to see how it runs, I live in Mexico so the game was stupidly cheap.

My total haul was just Ground Zeroes and the AMAZING Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION.

Tonza

Bought Wolfenstein, South Park and Metal Gear Rising from this sale. Not too bad.

I am really interested in playing Wolfenstein because of the praise it got from all of the GOTY awards.

Bought Astebreed and Shovel Knight to close it out.

Final tally. Didn't think I had anything to buy, now look at me ;_;

Shovel Knight
Astebreed
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Alien: Isolation
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The Walking Dead Season 2
The Wolf Among Us
Assassin's Creed Black Flag Digital Standard Edition
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES

No idea why I bought Black Flag.

Madridy

Total Haul:

Nil

I win, In your face Gabe!

Seriously, I own over +400 games and only finished ~20. So I promised my self I'll only buy one game for every two games I beat and I'm doing great so far. Not buying nor playing games...

T_T

Hanzou

This is the less I have ever spent on a steam sale since these large sales started years ago. Spent about $10 for my self on 4 games. Bought MGR for my brother a set a gift which I can play through family sharing so I guess that kind of counts. Still have about $30 in my wallet.

I just have such a huge backlog of games I really want to play of the 300 games in my library that I can justify buying more games.

Bl@de

Nothing big for me. Still have a big backlog. Only thing I bought is a game I wanted to play for a long time:

- Deadly Premonition (2.49€)

After installing all necessary fixes and playing for a couple of hours: This is my kind of game.

Sidenote: No crashes or bugs in 4h playtime. Good looking game with downsampling, dpfix and sweetfx. Only one weird thing ... After 30-45min the fps start dropping from 60 to 30. Only way I'm able to fix it ... Restart the game. Well ... I've been warned about the game^^

Helmholtz

Wound up buying:

Wolfenstein
Shovel Knight
Divinity: Original Sin
Metal Slug 3

Played a couple hours of Wolfenstein and it seemed great. Played a bit of Shovel Knight and it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I wonder if it's because I'm a 90s kid who didn't really grow up with NES/SNES, so the nostalgia factor is lost on me. I'll keep at it though.
Haven't started Divinity yet but I expect good things.
Metal Slug was just so I can do some coop with a friend later on. I loved those games as a kid.

Enco

CS:GO - £5.99 - yay or nay?
People love it.

I've really tried to get into it but I can't. Insurgency is a lot more fun.

Most game modes have NPCs in CS:GO and they completely ruin all multiplayer games for me. I also dislike the maps. There are some cool modded servers though.

I'm in the minority though I'm sure.

Enk

makes good threads.
One thing about keeping track of an extensive Wishlist is that I can never complain about not finding something I might like on sale. Here's my Winter Sale damage (sans Elliot Quest because I could resist its charming, Zelda 2 temptation even if it wasn't on sale):

TheHaul_zps520ebcf6.png

megalowho

It goes very far, you can modify code for any object in the game and can easily break the game doing so. It's probably a better learning tool than puzzle game, I know it was a bit much for me after a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom