• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
feeling good about selling all my holiday cards as soon as i got them
Heh, me too.

I was thinking about picking up a set and crafting a badge before the timer runs out, but I'm concerned about market issues screwing up purchasing, and I don't want to get caught with a bunch of cards at the end.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, this is progress...

FnjQgHq.jpg

fantomena

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Blackguards Early Access -- MB-65F4FFE3C86BAB7D - Taken by jshackles. 15 entrants total.

t1388768424z1.png

Link Man

Banned
Does anyone know how to use the Amazon Digital Games Store $5 credit promotion thing they did?

I'm trying to find a list of games that are eligible but cant tell where they are and how/when the discount will be applied.

Doesn't start until tomorrow, they point that out in the email.

Busy week, haven't been able to talk to Steam GAF as often as I would like :(

I just bought XCOM: Enemy Unknown, first time playing it. Should I do Ironman? Sort of tempted to do so, I want to do normal but don't want the game to be too easy, I would like some sort of difficulty without having to jump up just yet.

No. Just don't restart a borked mission. On my very first XCOM playthroughs I only re-started a few times and that was due to the game borking a mission rather than me e.g. clipping a soldier through a ship into oblivion, taking a 'cancel' command as a 'run out into the middle and get youself killed' command and so on. You'll probably re-play it anyway so can always do an Ironman run if you wan to. Besides the 'easier' difficulty levels are far from easy if you're a noob to this type of game, as I was. You can switch difficulty level mid playthrough as well IIRC.

I would love to say yes, but truly, after using the internet constantly over the years, to not have it there is tough. I rely on it for too many things. That said, I did start working out (though I planned to anyway). It gave me something to do and I feel pretty good about myself, lol.

Thanks, I'm glad they're proving useful.

Haha, it wouldn't be a Steam sale if the servers weren't down, so at least I get to experience that.

Thank you!

Good for you! :D You should feel good about yourself as working out and more importantly sticking at it is not easy. I've been doing so for awhile and finally feel like I'm starting to get somewhere. Feels good man :).

I edited my post to reflect that.

90%. People have trouble reading apparently, I don't put much faith into your average gamer's mental capacity lol.

Multiple examples on every page of this thread [and previous ones] :/.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Thoughts on Far Cry 3? I heard heaps of praise when it was released but the hype went down rather quickly. Worth the $7.50?

I enjoyed it, but let me state that for many, the "Assassin's Creed influence" was a major turn off, as was playing a character the vast majority of people would want to punch in real life while the friends that need to be rescued do nothing to make you really care about them. Those are valid issues and quite reasonable reactions to the title with the mindset and how mostly designed to be played.

For me the trick was treating it as a game to be immersed in, to not focus on the game's story of a boy becoming a man, but rather on making a journey by my own imagination into having this character I control become the ultimate hunter and warrior. For that understand Far Cry goes for the "realistic" human movement, hunting down, travelling through the jungle in a serious and drama filled story, with weapons that have real impact and weight to their behaviour and that means that often you will have to trek through large parts of terrain and wilderness.
No crazy weaponry (though it's bow and arrow are my favourite weapons in a FPS in a long time), no bizarre vehicles (outside of the relaxing air gliders), and no strange environments, but still filled with beautiful jungle and roaming animals to hunt or be hunted by. For some this means an "empty open world feeling" and repetitive game play, but for others like me it meant making the most out of what was offered and being content with what was there.

The islands are a beautiful place, full of natural colours and with the right settings lovely looking lighting peering through the foliage. Wild animals bring a bit of surprise if you aren't constantly checking your map and that adds both variety and a sense that it's a "living world" as you hear a noise by a startled animal just metres from you hadn't seen previously, or a friendly komodo dragon hug when you were busy setting up a shot against an enemy.

The combat ranges from standard to "that made me feel so cool". Basic FPS mechanics for all the guns and explosives (give or take strapping a mine to a turtle and watching it slowly make it's way into an enemy camp), with a bow and arrow that doesn't evolve anything specifically, but is quite enjoyable due to trying to follow arc and distances.
The "that made me feel so cool" comes from the stealth and combo kills. Where you can make your character quickly kill someone or chain a kill from one enemy to another with a knife gutting them or being thrown at them, with several other techniques. I particularly enjoyed grabbing someone from the water, dragging them down, and letting the wild shark eat them.

You can go in it guns blazzing and be Rambo and actually get rather far, but I find that kills most of what makes this game interesting and will quickly leave you feeling it's repetitive. I prefer working with a bit of stealth, taking down specific enemies in camps or locations, tricking enemies into heading toward a specific decision, trying to be the ultimate killer while barely being seen. It won't replace any actual dedicated games for stealth, but it does better than most titles and being set in a jungle makes it feel unique as compared to others set in cities.

If you are the type of person who enjoys fun terrain to drive around in for a off road vehicle like a Jeep or an ATV, it's good for that as well. Plenty of good terrain and paths to take beyond just the main roads, lot of hidden jumps designed into the game, and a decent sense of speed in the PC version with high settings.

I by no means claim this is one of the greatest games of all time, but I enjoyed my 30 some hours with it greatly and will return to it someday.

If you do get it however, I greatly recommend the following.
Far Cry 3, I do recommend the following.

Find out how to lose the user interfaces, which means all the menus and health and what have you. Moding allow this, ini. editing can do it I believe.
Get the bow and arrow as soon as possible.
Be stealthy when possible, use the stone to lure enemies into traps.
Only take out enemy camps when you really need to, otherwise leave as many as possible so the world is constantly filled with patrolling enemies and reinforcements so they can arrive often. It just becomes very empty without them. Taking out one to ensure you have a place to quick travel to is fine, but keep the others around it open.
Hunt. Hunt not just for improved items, but for the fun of a chase without abusing or spamming bullets and rocket launchers and the like. If you can really get into it, you can get a lot of fun around stalking a tiger and killing it without it ever noticing you, or using a turtle with a mine as a trap for a komodo dragon.
Take a moment to enjoy the visual scenery as you glide around places or just drive around. Learn that is actually is a place with landmarks and well laid out road systems and bridges.

If played purely as a do everything as once, murder everything as soon as possible, try and collect everything as fast as possible, it can become a very empty world with not much to do any more.
Note when you beat the game you can reset the enemy camps to bring them all back.

Colin.

Saw Future Wars included in the Magic 10 Bundle, so thought I would check reviews and came across this:

"I love turn based games, I don't love this. The game mechanics are awful, it just feels bad, looks bad and feels like turn based teletubbies warfare"

I think this would be a perfect use for JaseC's Greenlight submission fee.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh cool both the Ace Patrol games have cards

Vecks

Aren't the cards supposed to disappear? Why won't the prices drop? :( Are people just gonna let over 70,000 (x10) cards go to waste?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Tom_Cody

How long does it take to play through Gone Home? I am trying to plan my weekend.

I realize that it is generally non-linear so I expect that I might get a range of answers.

Slyjss

How long does it take to play through Gone Home? I am trying to plan my weekend.

I realize that it is generally non-linear so I expect that I might get a range of answers.

Between one hour and a half and three hours should be more than enough. Try to finish it in one sitting, you won't want to get out of the house once you're immersed.

didamangi

Huh, just checked GMG and I've got a $0.82 credit out of nowhere, managed to get Sid Meier's Ace Patrol for free. Nice surprise.

derExperte

Steam having problems at least keeps me from contemplating leveling up my sale badge further.

Between one hour and a half and three hours should be more than enough. Try to finish it in one sitting, you won't want to get out of the house once you're immersed.

I recommend doing a second run to hear the audio commentary.

Huh, just checked GMG and I've got a $0.82 credit out of nowhere, managed to get Sid Meier's Ace Patrol for free. Nice surprise.

As did I - might have had something to do with the fact that I signed up for the Playfire beta. Would have been nice to have while buying the ME3 deluxe edition, but I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom