• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Home streaming question:

You can't stream 5.1 over home streaming, as I understand it. But can I do this:

Desktop upstairs running the game
Laptop downstairs streaming the game to my HDTV
Wireless 5.1 headphones connected to desktop

I'm hoping the latency wouldn't be too jarring, but otherwise, I *think* this ought to work, shouldn't it? Curious if I can do that sort of audio rerouting while streaming, though.

Grief.exe

Home streaming question:

You can't stream 5.1 over home streaming, as I understand it. But can I do this:

Desktop upstairs running the game
Laptop downstairs streaming the game to my HDTV
Wireless 5.1 headphones connected to desktop

I'm hoping the latency wouldn't be too jarring, but otherwise, I *think* this ought to work, shouldn't it? Curious if I can do that sort of audio rerouting while streaming, though.

Just stream Stereo to some nice headphones and you will be fine, don't junk up your audio with some trashy '5.1' headset.

Water

Yeah, I think Valve should have taken into account trade history over the preceding 28 days and whitelisted the accounts with which you've traded at least once every seven. Also, ReCaptcha doesn't at all help in cases where an account has been hijacked, so a better idea would have been to implement both Steam Guard and Google Authenticator for the additional confirmation layer -- the former for those without a/who'd rather not fiddle with a smartphone and the latter for those who'd rather not have to check their e-mail.

It could help to mitigate the damage from mass account hijackings if bots on the hijacked accounts can't trade all the account contents away 100% automatically. Still, two-factor authentication is where it's at.

Also, Valve could easily estimate the value of the stuff being traded, and use personal login history, trade history, inventory value, accumulated value of trades over different time periods, plus accumulated value of trades since last authentication to estimate when it makes sense to even bother the user. With my Steam history, something like trading less than $10 worth of stuff on a weekly basis clearly shouldn't trigger authentication more than once in a blue moon.

I think it's one of the more overrated games of 2014 based on the number of people that said it was something special prior to my buying and playing it as well as the number of times I saw it pop up when people posted their Steam GOTY votes. That's not to say it's not a solid FPS, but I don't see it as GOTY material at all. The first 3 missions were pretty good overall... especially Mission 2. That might be my favorite part of the game.

Though it wasn't on my overall goty list either (I did put it on my steam list though) it's a fantastic game and I'm not surprised to see it high on many people's lists.

iosefe

Great puzzles are hard to come by these days.

So I got a story for you guys. I'm doing the penultimate level of HC1, and I. Doing really well. So good that I would solve it completely perfect on my first try. After 20-30 minutes, I misclick left/right. I yelled in agony and pain and proceeded to solve with that single mistake haunting me. At least it was a free mistake.

ExoSoul

Banned
Great puzzles are hard to come by these days.

So I got a story for you guys. I'm doing the penultimate level of HC1, and I. Doing really well. So good that I would solve it completely perfect on my first try. After 20-30 minutes, I misclick left/right. I yelled in agony and pain and proceeded to solve with that single mistake haunting me. At least it was a free mistake.
I know the feeling, have a hot beverage to mend your spirit.

Knurek

So, no dailies on Sunday from now on?

//EDIT

Turfster!

On one hand, this is a low price.
On the other, new main Humble coming up soon-ish...
Decisions, decisions...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We're less than three weeks from the end of January and Apotheon still lacks a concrete release date, plus keys have yet to be sent out. I'm beginning to think it'll be delayed yet again.

Edit: A Star Wars sale may be en route, judging from the recent sub updates (and nope, no updates for the Lego Star Wars subs).

519E6825E507FE6EE3B796F9C9EFF63C7F7C8122
Here we go. Screwed 1-6 because I clicked the wrong button on the second to last tile :(

Turfster

Edit: A Star Wars sale may be en route, judging from the recent sub updates (and nope, no updates for the Lego Star Wars subs).

They had that middling KOTOR daily this week with 33% off the rest.
I mean, I hope you're right, but I wouldn't hold my breath ;)

JaseC

They had that middling KOTOR daily this week with 33% off the rest.
I mean, I hope you're right, but I wouldn't hold my breath ;)

Ah, didn't realise it was a "franchise" sale (I browse the specials list regularly but everything tagged as "In Library" is thin air to me). In that case it was just the rest of the games being updated slightly behind schedule to have the discount removed.

Speevy

Banned
Steam told me yesterday that I was locked out of the community market until today because I reset my password.

Okay fine, but now the message is gone, but it still gives me the error when I try to sell cards.

Should I just keep waiting or contact someone?

ExoSoul

Banned
Do you know the truth about Adol?
He is a sexual stalker maniac, so in every game we see him approching a new city because old citizens discover the truth about him, and they expel him.
Achievements in Ys 1 and Felghana are clear about this!

3398165.jpg
He's a maniac, maniac!, on the floor.

Sorry, don't know why that happened...

Do you know the truth about Adol?
He is a sexual stalker maniac, so in every game we see him approching a new city because old citizens discover the truth about him, and they expel him.
Achievements in Ys 1 and Felghana are clear about this!

3398165.jpg

You might be onto something, he's a
redhead
afterall.

you need garbage, come on dont be proud.
iTEjGcJ5riV1j.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VikasNarula, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ionball 2: Ionstorm -- MB-DCA3E71FF14F83F3 - Taken by TheMadMan007

Still one achievement shy of completing Risk of Rain.
But it's the 50 deaths one, and every time I play the game I don't quit for 4-6 hours. I can't keep going like this.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LISA -- MB-CE69FBED9C60CDA7 - Taken by Maniac. 86 entrants total.

t1421089071z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Barbarian, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Barbarian, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Faerie Solitaire -- MB-2A4B1377C588A093 - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.

t1421006556z1.png

JaseC

Forge and its very-recently-released sequel Forge: Ymil's Revenge have become Steam Store history. The DLC packs for the former are still available for the time being.

The official website has been updated with a statement:

To Our Amazing Community:

Thank you for 3 years of support and gameplay! The team at Dark Vale couldn't have done it without you! Unfortunately, it's expensive to keep a game live. And without additional investment, we're forced to take a bit of a hiatus. We're hopeful that things turn around and we can get back to work on building out the Forge Universe. And if any of you know a Daddy Warbucks, please send him our way!

Thanks Again!

--The Team at Dark Vale Games

I don't like the chances of the studio resurfacing considering Ymil's Revenge didn't even make it a month.

Edit: It has an all-time peak of three. Ouch.

Kiru

How are Risen and Risen 2? Worth $10?
If you are familiar with the Gothic games, you should love Risen.

EDIT: I would probably try to get them via traders first. Both were bundled already. I found a trader who wants 1 key for Risen 1 for example. Risen 2 might be different, because there was a single steam key for Risen 2, SR2, SR3 & Sacred 2.

tebunker

Banned
I had some unclaimed keys and Humble bundle stuff, nothing terrible but people may own it already so I made it a mystery with some not so vague clues! But please take them and give them some love!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (tebunker, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

The 2nd run really fast on Steam -- MB-A57933639E7EC286 - Taken by Kuroyume
Mystery Parkour Game on Origin -- MB-F6F3AF7C03E86C7C - Taken by HP_Wuvcraft
Mystery May Have been claimed 2 -- MB-AC0E72D7C65225C2 - Taken by lindarasta
ulgzbKC.png
Mystery Desura Dump -- MB-AD1EC408C7E011E9 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Run really fast in Pseudo 3d on Steam -- MB-D8D5910D44334F89 - Taken by S1n1st3r
ulgzbKC.png
Mystery Desura Dump 2 -- MB-948F9AF12A4F2558 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Mystery May have been claimed previously -- MB-ED8206CA43C01A25 - Taken by Pranay_
Mystery Shooter on Origin -- MB-C06D87FCB905FC85 - Taken by RedFyn
The First Run Really fast on Steam -- MB-A268C954315E3AF6 - Taken by Darth Kupi

MattyG

Banned
If you are familiar with the Gothic games, you should love Risen.
I've never played them either. Should I try the Gothic games first and then try Risen if I like them?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about traders. Totally forgot about them after the mass region locking thing last month.

Preordered Life Is Strange and Resident Evil from GMG because... reasons. Pretty dumb considering that they will be -75% around the time I get around to play them.

Nice LISA giveaway!

Kiru

I've never played them either. Should I try the Gothic games first and then try Risen if I like them?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about traders. Totally forgot about them after the mass region locking thing last month.
Hmm, if you don't have any problems with old graphics and some fiddling to make them run on a newer OS, sure. Gothic II is the best RPG I ever played I think. I just said it, because it is made by the same developers that made the Gothic Series and it does have a kinda outdated combat system and other quirks that some people don't like. Exploration in the first Risen is great, it just gets stale at the end. Risen 2 is divided into different islands and has a pirate theme, some people didn't like that.

Risen 1 for 1 TF2 Key: http://www.steamtrades.com/forum/zq...rogues-tale-gatling-gears-gnomoria-chronology
Risen 2 and some other games. No idea how much he wants for them: http://www.steamtrades.com/forum/HI...der-kings2-hotline-deadisland-goty-w-keys-tod

Tizoc

Preordered Life Is Strange and Resident Evil from GMG because... reasons. Pretty dumb considering that they will be -75% around the time I get around to play them.

Nice LISA giveaway!

The wait is driving me crazy too! Do I get them soon or wait for Nuuvem...

tebunker

Banned

I would not play Gothic 1 unless you like a game telling you that you suck at every moment. That game was punishingly difficult, but you do feel great as you scrape out an existence.

I am not talking Dark Souls, you have to figure out the right way to play it hard, I am talking about every single encounter is a lethal one, and you pretty much have nothing on you at the start and better be willing to chip and chip and chip until you can slowly start beating enemies.

Kiru

I would not play Gothic 1 unless you like a game telling you that you suck at every moment. That game was punishingly difficult, but you do feel great as you scrape out an existence.

I am not talking Dark Souls, you have to figure out the right way to play it hard, I am talking about every single encounter is a lethal one, and you pretty much have nothing on you at the start and better be willing to chip and chip and chip until you can slowly start beating enemies.

Oh those glorious days. I used to start a fight and then run away and place myself in some high place where no one could reach me and hit NPC or monsters with my crossbow. Kinda cheating, but it was fun, lol.

maty

Found a cool tool to check for missing achievements on your games. You can sort your games by completion rate:
http://a.steam.justarchi.net/

Bookmarked. This would be a nice feature for enhanced steam to have as well, sorting games by completion rate, since you can only sort by name or playtime.

This would help me check which games I'm closer to 100% or I started as playtime is not very useful now that I started idling for cards (Idlemaster is fantastic btw). And then decide whether to finish them or start a new one.

tebunker

Banned
Oh those glorious days. I used to start a fight and then run away and place myself in some high place where no one could reach me and hit NPC or monsters with my crossbow. Kinda cheating, but it was fun, lol.

yeah you were forced to play the agrro, attack, back away to lose aggro, quickly re aggro and run away and find a place you couldn't get hurt.

The range and scope of the game at the time was immense, it's just so harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom