• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

tea > coffee

:3

Why not both?:p I do love coffee more and drink it during the day but towards the evenings I do enjoy me some tea.:D

On a sidenote, I was slightly bitter that I didn't get Hexcells during the sale and went to put it on my wishlist and saw that I actually own Hexcell Plus haha, well that was a pleasant find.:D

dani_dc

Same here. Plus context matters. The word 'trap' is used by a person on an virtual board who is known to be an angry hater. It's not like the protagonists are throwing it around. So yeah, it might be a bit offensive, but that's the point, isn't it? The mods trying dogpile Tom and derail the thread with an agenda was a bit... disturbing.

That's my view on the subject matter. I'd be one thing if they were trying to pass off the word "trap" as an accepted term that's fine to use, that would be worth criticizing, but that does not seem to be the case from what I read (I have no played the game yet).
Characters using offensive words is fine if that's the point of the character, ignorant people say ignorant things, going out of your way to make a purposedly offensive comment by a character to be politically correct completely undermines the existence of said comment in the first place.

I also had no idea "G.I.R.L." was ever a thing before I read the thread.

_hekk05

Banned
Whatever of both makes sense with G.I.R.L. and anime fans. Mods tried really hard to push "G.I.R.L" onto Xseed: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=968510&page=11

I'm pretty sure G.I.R.L was never a thing. I can't accept the use of trap for guy who pretends to be girl online though. I always just used nekama.

A crossdressing boy irl is a trap, not a boy pretending to be a girl online.

Source: played as a girl in every mmo I've played. Looking forward to Tree of Savior huehue
I also know crossplayers. My eyes

dani_dc

I'm pretty sure G.I.R.L was never a thing. I can't accept the use of trap for guy who pretends to be girl online though. I always just used nekama.

Source: played as a girl in every mmo I've played. Looking forward to Tree of Savior huehue

The character making the comment made it in an offensive manner, at least that's what it looks like in context , so while I wouldn't accept the term "trap" in a real world situation as it is an offensive term, I think it makes sense to use it in this context.

baterism

Same here. Plus context matters. The word 'trap' is used by a person on an virtual board who is known to be an angry hater. It's not like the protagonists are throwing it around. So yeah, it might be a bit offensive, but that's the point, isn't it? The mods trying dogpile Tom and derail the thread with an agenda was a bit... disturbing.

Oh wow, I know the term G.I.R.L but that's because I stumble upon it on Tvtropes. I doubt many people know it unless someone really into Internet culture. I suppose moderator's job is to "moderate", they seemed a little bit too.. active.

That said, any news when Akiba's Trip (or was it Akiba Strip?) come to Steam? I thought it was from Idea Factory?

Tizoc

Oh wow, I know the term G.I.R.L but that's because I stumble upon it on Tvtropes. I doubt many people know it unless someone really into Internet culture. I suppose moderator's job is to "moderate", they seemed a little bit too.. active.

That said, any news when Akiba's Trip (or was it Akiba Strip?) come to Steam? I thought it was from Idea Factory?

No word so far, as it was published by XSEED, we might get some news by E3.
What you should be asking is when Corpse Party PC/Steam ver. is releasing :p

dani_dc

I'll let it slide since there isn't a good english term for nekama.

Trap isn't an offensive term though.

Trap is seem as an offensive term by the transgender community in general, and is a banned word around GAF. Which is why it's usage in this situation raised complaints. No one would care if people didn't perceive it as an offensive term.

_hekk05

Banned
Trap is seem as an offensive term by the transgender community in general, and is a banned word around GAF. Which is why it's usage in this situation raised complaints. No one would care if people didn't perceive it as an offensive term.

Yeah but in the jp culture community, trap isn't one, and that's honestly the only opinion that should matter.

Its like if you told 4chan fag is an offensive word they would laugh your face out

baterism

No word so far, as it was published by XSEED, we might get some news by E3.
What you should be asking is when Corpse Party PC/Steam ver. is releasing :p

I hope it still on 2015 release window. Never give attention about Corpse Party. It is horror VN, right? I never dig horror.

And, I just realized trap is offensive. I thought it was just term to call pretty boys and have nothing to do with transgender.

derExperte

Yeah but in the jp culture community, trap isn't one, and that's honestly the only opinion that should matter.

Its like if you told 4chan fag is an offensive word they would laugh your face out

Maybe I'm understand this wrong but are you saying something isn't offensive only because certain communities don't deem it offensive?

tmarg

A crossdressing boy irl is a trap, not a boy pretending to be a girl online.

Nah, it was definitely a thing, briefly. Early 2000's, I think? But I don't think it was ever actually used in the manner that the mods suggested that it be used. In fact, I've never heard anyone actually called that directly, it was always used to mock someone who claimed to have been talking to a girl online. (oh, a girl huh? you know what that means?) Either way, suggesting a dumb meme from 10+ years ago as an acceptable choice in translation work is questionable at best.

I have no idea what a proper word for the situation would be, I don't really spend much time worrying about being misled about the gender of people on the internet.

Dr Dogg

Well the credits are rolling on Mordor. What a very anticlimactic ending, the last couple of boss encounters were both a fist full of meh. Really the Nemisis system saved the game from being straight up average for me. Just a few collectables and side missions to do and I'll pop up some thoughts.

Bah, my headphones have died. I should have bought a replacement pair earlier so I wouldn't be stuck waiting two days. I'm actually surprised they lasted as long as they did, though (a week shy of 2.5 years).

Edit: Still no Steam key for the Dirty Bomb beta, unsurprisingly. Almost forgot about that.

Is there something you're not telling us? Like you're some kind of electromagnetic superhero? As you seem to be having a lot of electrical components die on you recently.

tmarg

Well the credits are rolling on Mordor. What a very anticlimactic ending, the last couple of boss encounters were both a fist full of meh. Really the Nemisis system saved the game from being straight up average for me. Just a few collectables and side missions to do and I'll pop up some thoughts.

I haven't finished it, but from the several hours I've played thus far, it has to rank as one of the most overrated games I've played in a while. The combat mechanics aren't as good as the Batman games they were ripped from, the world is uninteresting and barren and not even faithful to the IP they used, and even the Nemesis system started to lose it's shine when the same stupid orc came back to life six times on me.

Just running around killing orcs is fun enough that I wouldn't call it a bad game, and the Nemesis system does manage to keep it interesting much longer than it would be otherwise, but I can't really understand all the GOTY nods it got. I am definitely interested to see what is done with nemesis in the future, but it needs to be in a much better game in order to really shine.

pahamrick

You can call me Electromagneto.

I prefer Magnektra :D

WakO2P1.jpg

I was really bored.

_hekk05

Banned
Maybe I'm understand this wrong but are you saying something isn't offensive only because certain communities don't deem it offensive?

Only if you're saying that in the context of the communities that don't find it offensive.

That south park bike faggot episode comes to mind.

Got relatives come and stay over the weekend, so no time for gaf or games par the occasional lurk on phone :/
Anything interesting happen?
-
The last time I actually played a game was in September (Left4Dead2). And that I played only for casual time wasting; not for real. Similar to CS:GO around the same time.
The actual last time I played a game for real was probably when I still got my cousins PS3 and played Far Cry 3 at around February 2013 :O

I really lost passion to play games cause of some personal bad stuff :(
Already thought it was it for me with gaming tbh. Thought I got old or sth. Until...

I started watching broadcasts of a friend replaying Dark Souls since it got rid of GFWL. It really steadily gave me my itch for gaming back. Stream by stream.
So glad I watched it because a couple days ago I started my own playthrough of DS and have already about 20hrs clocked in :O

So. Much. Fun.

Really happy that the joy of gaming did indeed not vanish from me :)

Also huge thanks to Durante! If it wasn't for the ability to scale resolution back to 700x394. I'd never could achieve enjoyable framerates.

Now back to spending the day with relatives again.. See you later folks.

Nabs

I still don't understand hexcells. Im just pressing the butons/tiles stuffrandomly and hope for the best.

What are you having trouble understanding? There's no need for guessing in Hexcells, so you might want to start fresh and pay attention to the tutorial.

fantomena

What are you having trouble understanding? There's no need for guessing in Hexcells, so you might want to start fresh and pay attention to the tutorial.

Which tutorial? I tried Hexcells Infinite and the first puzzle, but there ain't much of a tutorial there.

Nabs

Hexcells is the tutorial
Hexcells Plus is the normal mode
Hexcells Infinite is the hard mode.

True, but if you only have Infinite, pay attention to ones like 1-1, 1-4, 2-1 and 2-4. Hexcells is really the best place to start for a new player.

There is not one single version of Tetris on Steam.

How does that happen?

I think we're getting the new Ubisoft one. It'll probably have awesome Uplay features like unlockable wallpapers.

dex3108

And Mass Effect 2 is finished finally. But man do i have mixed feelings about that game. It is good game but bad sequel in my opinion. Main plot is so simple and not that interesting at all. Final Boss was so disappointing in comparison with ME1 Final Boss. I have feeling that whole game is one big friendship/dating simulator :D I think that i will wait couple of months before i play ME3.

Barbarian

And Mass Effect 2 is finished finally. But man do i have mixed feelings about that game. It is good game but bad sequel in my opinion. Main plot is so simple and not that interesting at all. Final Boss was so disappointing in comparison with ME1 Final Boss. I have feeling that whole game is one big friendship/dating simulator :D I think that i will wait couple of months before i play ME3.

Agreed. Aside from the encounter itself, the look/design of Mass Effect 2's final boss seemed incredibly "video gamey" for lack of a better word. I still really enjoyed the game overall, though.

Pretty much, yeah.

Want my advice? Don't play ME3. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Trust me on this one.

dex3108

Agreed. Aside from the encounter itself, the look/design of Mass Effect 2's final boss seemed incredibly "video gamey" for lack of a better word. I still really enjoyed the game overall, though.

Pretty much, yeah.

Want my advice? Don't play ME3. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Trust me on this one.

I think that i would be enjoying ME2 much more if it was TV Show. Game itself was structured like TV Show. Loyalty missions are main episodes, some other side missions are like filler episodes, and there is bigger plot in the background that goes through season/seasons.

I will play ME3 for sure no matter what happens in that game :D I like to finish trilogies.

Knurek

If you didn't like ME2, stay the hell away from ME3
I loved all three games, but seriously, ME3 is just streamlined ME2 gameplay-wise.

I think that i would be enjoying ME2 much more if it was TV Show. Game itself was structured like TV Show. Loyalty missions are main episodes, some other side missions are like filler episodes, and there is bigger plot in the background that goes through season/seasons.

That was my impression as well. Game just screamed 'US TV show' at times.

Locust

Wait, what? How does that happen? I mean... it's Tetris. It works fine in calculators. For years.
Right, those weren't by Ubisoft. But still!
Call of Duty Ghosts had the same bug with friends list on Steam, menus were unusable. Took months for them to fix it.

dex3108

Hey, it's your funeral, mama.

Very mild spoiler -
you're going to hate most of the ME2 squadmates/the resolution of their plot arcs (excluding Jack and Grunt).

ME2 already taught me that i don't need to care about NPCs. So much investment in NPCs in ME1 and then ME2 happened. :D

ME2 already taught me that i don't need to care about NPCs. So much investment in NPCs in ME1 and then ME2 happened. :D

Well, if a game doesn't make you care about the supporting characters (considering that most of ME2 is about recruitment and loyalty), I don't know what to tell you.

What about
Mordin
? Nobody hates the resolution of that plot arc, do they?

Like I said, most. I liked Mordin's arc but even then,
Mordin's so interchangable that the virus can still be cured regardless of whether he lived or died (and that's coming from someone who loved the whole Tuchanka mission).
That's the problem with ME2 - it's a game that directly resulted in some of the best mission design (the Suicide Mission) and the worst mission design (trying to tailor ME3's plot/side missions to a set of 12 characters who may or may not be dead).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom