• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I've been working on a version of Idle Master that doesn't require you to log in to Steam, and I have a working proof of concept. Instead of requiring the user to enter their own cookie data or their username / password, it will simply hook into the Steam process and gather the information it needs. This is accomplished in a similar way that the Steam browser gets it's login information from the client application and (under normal conditions) doesn't require you to log in to the web site while accessing it through the client's built in browser.

Because Idle Master uses the Steamworks SDK to simulate you being in-game, and because it relies heavily on you being logged in to Steam anyway to idle, this is probably the best "plug and play" solution for the program. It'll be especially nice for users with multiple accounts because they won't have to manage signing in / signing out of Idle Master - just sign in to their different account with Steam, then re-launch Idle Master.

Pretty neat, actually. Just thought I'd share. One of those "coming soon to an Idle Master near you ©" things.

Oh yeah, Shadowrun: Hong Kong has reached its kickstarter goal. They're planning to get the game done by August this year. Doubtful it'll be done by then, but whatever they at least got it done the last time. I just hope it's as good or better than Dragonfall.

DA: I for $30 on GMG. Not sure if I should bite or wait. Ugh.

Hatoful Boyfriend is the best game on Steam. Fact.

djgtu52.gif

who didn't get squireltopia codes yesterday?

25 is officially NOT my lucky number anymore.

Dr Dogg

Isn't it just prerendered 3D assets though?

Pretty much. I can't remember which update is was (might have been 48ish) but Josh Sawyer explained a little how they are made and in a further update the way occlusion from certain objects was explained. It's quite funny when you render the game at higher resolutions as it just zooms the view further and further out. Though in the beta there are some issues with certain UI elements over a resolution of 1920x1080 where the question notifications are aligned properly and suchlike but Obsidian know about it so fingers crossed that's sorted in the final release.

Very pretty, like someone redid BG2. Especially like some of the character models.

I can believe it.
Especially in that first pic. Still looks good though.

Sure there are some very rigid angles to the geomentary in some scenes but compared to cRPG's from donkeys years ago it's night and day. Still has that Infinity Engine look but with much, much more clarity.

Backlogger

So I've been working on a version of Idle Master that doesn't require you to log in to Steam, and I have a working proof of concept. Instead of requiring the user to enter their own cookie data or their username / password, it will simply hook into the Steam process and gather the information it needs. This is accomplished in a similar way that the Steam browser gets it's login information from the client application and (under normal conditions) doesn't require you to log in to the web site while accessing it through the client's built in browser.

Because Idle Master uses the Steamworks SDK to simulate you being in-game, and because it relies heavily on you being logged in to Steam anyway to idle, this is probably the best "plug and play" solution for the program. It'll be especially nice for users with multiple accounts because they won't have to manage signing in / signing out of Idle Master - just sign in to their different account with Steam, then re-launch Idle Master.

Pretty neat, actually. Just thought I'd share. One of those "coming soon to an Idle Master near you ©" things.

Awesome! I just recently updgraded to the most recent version of IM with the installer and application because the older version I was using was constantly getting hung up with issues. I love the "pause" feature on it so I can pause before actually launching a game to play. The "next game" is great too! I don't always idle, but when I do, I use IdleMaster.

interestingmancigar.jpg

Phawx

Phawx is the most awesome let's player :) Thanks for squireltopia!

Just to be clear. These codes aren't to bribe anyone to look at my channel.

edit: Phrased another way, if you got a game from a giveaway you're not obligated to look at any of my links that I post to my channel. Enjoy the game, have it as a +1 to your library, make Steam Wallet money from it. Whatever makes you happy is fine by me.

iosefe

Just to be clear. These codes aren't to bribe anyone to look at my channel.
sure.....

while the controls are floaty, you can stop you momentum midair, so thats good. overall, given my world one experience, Squirreltopia is fairly decent.

HoosTrax

I didn't call Hexcells a zen game, I said the randomised stages of Infinite can be, which is only part of a overall package. Of the few hundred I've played, very few of them have offered any real challenge by the first Hexcell's standards, featuring far more clues to start with, and no punishment at all for either picking the wrong cell or randomly guessing. The sense of intensity or the pressure of getting stuck ceases to be for the most part and is a great way to get someone into the game where a stress filled "I don't know what to do first" type standard puzzle of Infinite would send them running away.

It was a great year for puzzle games I will agree and I hope it only continues in 2015. Hopefully this year we got a nonagram (picross) and Slither Link on Steam.
I know exactly what you mean re: the randomly generated levels in Infinite. The ones I tried didn't feel remotely taxing. You can find a place to start pretty quickly and you make pretty steady progress, and I think I averaged about ten minutes per puzzle while multitasking and watching Netflix while doing them. Whereas some of the later hand-made Infinite levels literally took me hours to figure out, bit by bit, and I had to turn off Netflix to attain maximum concentration to work things out.

chronomac

who didn't get squireltopia codes yesterday?

Yo.

I'm always amazed at how hard you work on this and ES. Nice work.

KarmaCow

Overkill just released another one of their corny live action teasers for the next DLC coming next week. New heist and new crew member, whatever, what's cool is that the new contractor is played by the actress who played Delenn from Babylon 5. Awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any idea if that's going to be permanently free? Like if I buy the game next month or something I'll still get it?

Yes, it will. That's why Ubi gave out a free game to those who'd bought the Season Pass prior to it being retroactively cancelled (the remaining content will still be released to Season Pass holders for free, and as individual pieces of paid DLC for everybody else).

Its free forever because they decided to abandon the rest of the season pass and this is to make up for Unity being a poor game.

Yes, it will. That's why Ubi gave out a free game to those who'd bought the Season Pass prior to it being retroactively cancelled (the remaining content will still be released to Season Pass holders for free, and as individual pieces of paid DLC for everybody else).

Good to know, thanks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmn does it fix any performance issues as well?
Won't be purchasing until I get my new lappy, however.

It still runs like a dog's breakfast on my system but others with higher-end GPUs have reported increases.

I wonder what the incentives will be. Presumably the $500k cash and perhaps a discount will be the base offer.

Edit: Oh, separate subs makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom