• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Not really.
They were middling p&c adventures with lots of pointless padding due to backtracking.

Meh, I enjoyed the ones I played. Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, Wallace and Gromit.

I think I played a bit of Strong Bad too, but didn't get very far at all. Didn't seem that bad though.

Wishlisted at the speed of light.

I'll just browse the community hub after the game is released.
They tend to post all the good stuff anyway.

Note: I'm not actually going to do that.

Of course I am.

Hmm..For whatever reason I have the top negative review for Saints Row 4. Was wondering where all these downvotes were coming from. =(
Bunch of haters.

Apparently it might be due to timeliness. My review was posted in 2014 while the highest-voted reviews were written in 2013.
Definitely a head-scratcher.

zkylon

zkylewd
didn't manhunt have like a setting to disable the gratuitous violence?

I'm fairly certain you can't skip Spec Ops scene, other than skipping cutscenes.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that part has invincible snipers so that you can't "just" fight your way past that area.
ah ok, i had the impression you could skip that section but maybe i'm misremembering

It's not so much of being able to skip controversial things as it is the game just being bad, but you can skip pretty much anything in Alone in the Dark 2008.
what do you mean by that? like running past stuff or like a prompt on screen that says "do you want to skip this section?"

Brutal Legend allows you to bleep the language and censor the gore. It's not skipping as such, but hey. Can't think of other games though.
yeah i thought about brutal legend, but i'm thinking of mostly content (aka blood sliders like in fallout don't count)

Well, I can mark "getting mentioned in the Firefox release notes" off my bucket list.
that's kind of an infamous mention tho lol

Oh yea I remember that game, and also back to the future as well.

Back to the Future was actually pretty good...or maybe I'm easy to please, I dunno.

Servizio said:
I'm fairly certain you can't skip Spec Ops scene, other than skipping cutscenes.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that part has invincible snipers so that you can't "just" fight your way past that area.

You weren't supposed to fight your way past that area? No wonder it took me forever. Oh, and by the way, they're not invincible, they're just really hard to hit. I know cause I ... vinced them? Is that a thing? :)

autoduelist

Fun fact: Uninstalling Half-Life 1 did basically the same thing on Windows a very long time ago because of a bug in Sierra's uninstaller! LOL!

Perhaps a subtle hint we're getting HL3 soon?

i was thinking about the hotline miami 2 thing, how they added the option to "skip" the sexual assault scene, and i'm trying to remember other games that allowed you to skip sections of it because they were too violent or shocking or

I wonder if anyone ever actually uses such skip options, they seem so silly to me. Who am I kidding, people used to buy edited copies of hit movies that were hand censored by religious groups.

zkylon

zkylewd
You weren't supposed to fight your way past that area? No wonder it took me forever. Oh, and by the way, they're not invincible, they're just really hard to hit. I know cause I ... vinced them? Is that a thing? :)
huh, no way, you have to do the "thing" or else the game doesn't follow through

you're probably remembering it wrong

i only considered it because i felt like i had the image in my mind of being able to choose to skip that section, but i prolly just imagined it

I wonder if anyone ever actually uses such skip options, they seem so silly to me. Who am I kidding, people used to buy edited copies of hit movies that were hand censored by religious groups.
well, there aren't many of those but the rape scene on hotline miami 2 can be a trigger (sorry if i'm not using this word right) to people although i don't think the added extra second if you choose not to skip it would make it less bad

personally if i had a button to skip spider sections in videogames (i know it's not nearly the same, but just an example of something that's traumatic) i most certainly would, so i can't imagine it being too strange for victims of sexual abuse or violence to want to maybe skip mostly gratuitous scenes as such

I still do not get why rapescenes in games are seen as controversial (and you do not even have control over them, just some cutscenes) whereas brutally killing/murdering weapon is acceptable.

Pachimari

Replace the desktop shortcut icon you mean?

If so, right click > properties > Shortcut > Change Icon...

You'll need a file in .ico format and if you only have a PNG there are programs out there that convert it to .ico for you.

Thank you!

What size is an icon?

zkylon

zkylewd
I still do not get why rapescenes in games are seen as controversial (and you do not even have control over them, just some cutscenes) whereas brutally killing/murdering weapon is acceptable.
many reasons

biggest one to me would be that killing can be justified, but rape can't

also 30 years of videogame killing history. people have grown to accept murder as a problem solving method

also game developers are really bad at delicate subject matter

also gender issues are a thing in the videogame industry

Ozium

Song of the Myrne Steam keys emailed out by LazyGuysStudio from 'Late August' bundle.

Nice.. Just got mine from Groupees, it was in the Clash of World Central Europe for those of you who also bought that one...

Also waiting on a spare from Indie Gala, it was in the Greenlight Gala #3 (under Monthly bundles in your profile)

many reasons

biggest one to me would be that killing can be justified, but rape can't

also 30 years of videogame killing history

also game developers are bad at doing stories and are much worse at delicate subject matter

also gender issues are a thing in the videogame industry

If the medium wants to grow up though, such things shouldnt provoke an outcry. In movies it is normal to see that to express something.
The same can be done in games as a storytelling tool.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
what do you mean by that? like running past stuff or like a prompt on screen that says "do you want to skip this section?"

The entire plot of Alone in the Dark 08 is basically set up like a television series on DVD, and you can just skip a section of the game if you get stuck or just feel like skipping ahead at any time, I think. I didn't use it, but I know you're supposed to get a "previously on Alone in the Dark" recap of what you skipped.

alone-in-the-dark-xbox-360-screenshots-dvd-menu-system.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
If the medium wants to grow up though, such things shouldnt provoke an outcry. In movies it is normal to see that to express something.
The same can be done in games as a storytelling tool.
the question is does the medium want to grow up or just cause controversy?

i was playing kane and lynch last week and when you finally find and rescue your daughter, she's on her underwear, which i'm guessing is meant to lead us to think she was sexually abused. no mention of it is made and game carries on, alleged rape is there just to say "hey you know, those guys were really evil!"

that's because games are as mature as something like the movie taken is, and the way many movies treat rape and violence is offensive as fuck (taken being a recent one i can think of).

randomly having rape or even normal consensual sex doesn't help games mature unless it's done intelligently. and what i'm getting at is, if it was made intelligently, it probably wouldn't need a skip button

The entire plot of Alone in the Dark 08 is basically set up like a television series on DVD, and you can just skip a section of the game if you get stuck or just feel like skipping ahead at any time, I think. I didn't use it, but I know you're supposed to get a "previously on Alone in the Dark" recap of what you skipped.
that's actually kind of cool

the question is does the medium want to grow up or just cause controversy?

I guess some games/devs want to do. Its still kinda sad, that often rape is handled in more mature ways in japanese VNs than in western games.
Though I think if you use "rape" as a storytelling device like in Witcher 3, it could work out pretty well.

zkylon

zkylewd
I guess some games/devs want to do. Its still kinda sad, that often rape is handled in more mature ways in japanese VNs than in western games.
Though I think if you use "rape" as a storytelling device like in Witcher 3, it could work out pretty well.

there's underage rape in analogue: a hate story. it's a game written by a woman and the point of view it takes is of the victim, not the "hero" or the rapist. it makes you feel sick and the writing helps you learn a lot about the world the game is set in and the characters that inhabit it, but also our own world and how those things happen and how people deal with them

it can work out really well if the developer is serious about it

sadly i don't think most developers are ready to talk about those kind of themes, so personally i'd rather they didn't

ed: i'm not necessarily against adding "skip buttons" to games, but i feel like they're a sign of maybe developers getting into territories they maybe shouldn't. not right now at least. i plan on writing a bit about this soonish, which is why i'm wondering if there were any more examples of games with "skip buttons" in them

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The 50% off for previous owners now works on Cities XXL for people who got Cities XL through the humble bundle, for those that were concerned earlier. It's a pre-order discount only though.

The loyalty discount doesn't expire:

Loyalty discount for Cities XL players
This discount has no limit in time and can be claimed by all owners of Cities XL*, Cities XL 2011, Cities XL 2012 or Cities XL Platinum.

Cities XL 2012 was set up similarly.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I do believe Prime World: Defenders may just be the best Tower Defence game I have ever played, which is something as I play quite a lot. For a title that has as many different things going on at the same time, from standard Tower Defence to limited magic to card collecting (earned in game, booster packs in game), bosses, a story line, high score challenges on every stage against your friends, etc, it's remarkably streamlined and easy to understand. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the sub-genre.

Originally I was going to play it simply as a game for the 52 Game challenge, but this is something I'll take my time and fully enjoy over the course of a year rather than simply marking it off as something to beat right away. So many thanks to JShackles for gifting me the game, it's easily going to be one I play for many a hour for a very long time.

Articalys

I'm starting to realize I have made some monumentally stupid Steam purchasing decisions in the past. Thankfully I'm getting better about it.

Semi-on topic: I suggest that everyone skips the PC version of Alone In The Dark and plays the vastly superior PS2 version, where the game jumps from the mediocre third person inventory management game to one of the worst video games ever concieved

oipic

I do believe Prime World: Defenders may just be the best Tower Defence game I have ever played, which is something as I play quite a lot. For a title that has as many different things going on at the same time, from standard Tower Defence to limited magic to card collecting (earned in game, booster packs in game), bosses, a story line, high score challenges on every stage against your friends, etc, it's remarkably streamlined and easy to understand. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the sub-genre.

Originally I was going to play it simply as a game for the 52 Game challenge, but this is something I'll take my time and fully enjoy over the course of a year rather than simply marking it off as something to beat right away. So many thanks to JShackles for gifting me the game, it's easily going to be one I play for many a hour for a very long time.

I heartily concur, Ken - PW:D a sleeper tower defence hit, deep and replayable, and it very pleasantly surprised me. Very happy to hear that you're enjoying it, and it reminds me that I really should get back to it myself (thanks!).

I started reading your post, and my first reaction was 'jshack will be pleased to read this!', only to read on and see that he had gifted it to you (which is great in itself - would definitely click the 'rate up' button on that). Shackles is a connoisseur of fine tower defence games, and has a great feel for the genre - I've bought and enjoyed more than a couple of TDs thanks to the Shackman.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's already been posted here by another user, but these "Hi bro you need it?" scam attempts are starting to get old fast. Second time this week I've had a phishing link posted on my profile. Ended up changing comment permissions to friends only, so hopefully that it'll curb it for a bit.

Semi-on topic: I suggest that everyone skips the PC version of Alone In The Dark and plays the vastly superior PS2 version, where the game jumps from the mediocre third person inventory management game to one of the worst video games ever concieved

Ending spoilers, but honestly no one should care anyway:

The sad thing is that the hammy voice acting is the best part of the game.
"I'M THE FUCKING UNIVERSE!"- Lucifer

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath #2 -- MB-7F89C9D356EE6BF1 - Taken by Deques
Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath -- MB-F5BDD4531E881C0E - Taken by PunishedSnake
Elements: Soul of Fire #5 -- MB-5022ADA07232553E - Taken by Bayonetta
Elements: Soul of Fire #4 -- MB-DE9508F823A1FC34 - Taken by bobnowhere
Elements: Soul of Fire #3 -- MB-A5F4B14598936AD6 - Taken by Speevy
Elements: Soul of Fire #2 -- MB-F18652BFF18C4A0A - Taken by Kuroyume
Elements: Soul of Fire -- MB-C16EF07545554C91 - Taken by Blu(e)
Cahors Sunset -- MB-3166F2DA13A7FF1F - Taken by Widdly Scuds

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think that big giveaway broke modbot. Even though it was free for all, and I went for more than one game since no one seemed to be taking, it didn't allow more than one and now still no one has taken more from that time hours ago. So either people aren't very hungry or it broke and maybe some others are like me and don't want to try again. It says it was edited recently, but it seems to be putting blank spaces in the list. Weird.

JaseC

I think that big giveaway broke modbot. Even though it was free for all, and I went for more than one game since no one seemed to be taking, it didn't allow more than one and now still no one has taken more from that time hours ago. So either people aren't very hungry or it broke and maybe some others are like me and don't want to try again. It says it was edited recently, but it seems to be putting blank spaces in the list. Weird.

Are you referring to KenOD's giveaway? All of the games have been claimed save for 2 or 3 Desura keys.

Tizoc

The GAF GotY 2014 voting ends in less than 24 hours if anyone is interested in posting their ballot in that respective thread.

Blu(e)

I think it needs to be a garbage dump for people to take multiple games. Any other kind of giveaway, everyone takes one item.

Are you referring to KenOD's giveaway? All of the games have been claimed save for 2 or 3 Desura keys.
I believe he's referring to this giveaway.
Here is a bunch of bundle trash I've accumulated over the last couple months. Some keys may be misnamed or used but the vast majority will be correct and working.

I tried getting Teleglitch but sadly it said the time to redeem the Steam key for it had expired when I went to the Humble Bundle link. :(

So I tried Beat Hazard but yea no reply, thought it must be a one game each thing or we broke it/wasn't updating right and someone already grabbed it, either way not having much luck! lol.

Finally Trainz Simulator worked though (including redeeming it). The PM was from ModBot 2! The sequel!

JaseC

I think it needs to be a garbage dump for people to take multiple games. Any other kind of giveaway, everyone takes one item.

People can take multiple games with "regular" FFAs. They just have to wait until the throttle has expired, which starts off at 15 minutes.

I believe he's referring to this giveaway.

Ah. Well, I just audited the first few unclaimed games and aside from Space Hack, which has gone unloved, they're unclaimed because the people were throttled.

Chariot

Oh gawd, you can give her glasses

Well I could have gotten it for 12 for the boobs, but I don't really do fighting games

chariot can do the combo challenges for me
Ggg.gif
Did you ever see me play fighting games? All my friends don't want to play fighting games anymore. I am the ultimate button masher. I just push random shit, but I am so good at it, that I make some decent stuff all the while.

Regardless of quality. Sakura Spirit was bad, bur was competent enough.
I protest.

Tizoc

I tried getting Teleglitch but sadly it said the time to redeem the Steam key for it had expired when I went to the Humble Bundle link. :(

So I tried Beat Hazard but yea no reply, thought it must be a one game each thing or we broke it/wasn't updating right and someone already grabbed it, either way not having much luck! lol.

Finally Trainz Simulator worked though (including redeeming it). The PM was from ModBot 2! The sequel!

Shit I must've forgotten about my copy of teleglitch too XD.

Blu(e)

People can take multiple games with "regular" FFAs. They just have to wait until the throttle has expired, which starts off at 15 minutes.

Googling a bit it seems like these are the throttle times if anyone is curious:
- All users can only win one game every 15 minutes
- Users who have won 7 or more games in the last week must wait 6 hours
- Users who have won 12 or more games in the last week must wait 24 hours

So if you've been feeling the love lately, you'll have to wait a bit longer in comparison to everyone else. Jasec can correct me
again
if he finds any errors.

Knurek

I for one can't wait for Steam GOTY results.
Really curious whether any of my picks made top twenty.
I mean, there are people with good gaming taste posting here, but I've seen too much DA: I votes to think that we may be able to change anything. :\

Also, in non-Steam game time, wrapped up first Chapter of Alice: Madness Returns. Pity that the game set up a boss fight and then resolved it in a cutscene. Oh well, the fighting in the game is sort of terrible anyway.

Also also wrapped up first chapter (and a few scenes of the second) from Umineko #5. God, the voice acting in the game is so good. It would be lovely if Mangagamer somehow managed to licence voice acting from the PS2 version for their Higurashi Steam release... They add so much to the general enjoyment of a VN.

Also also also Lufia 2 is such an amazing game. No random battles in the dungeons, and very frequent ones on the world map. Actual puzzles in the dungeons! Ancient Cave roguelike mode. Game looks and sounds great to boot. Such a pity Neverland went under, although the IP was owned by Taito, so by proxy Squeenix... Maybe they will get their heads out of their asses and do a oldschool RPG compilation sometime (although, knowing Squeenix, they will outsource it to dotEMU, who will use some ancient ZSNES build for emulation and add virtual joystick control).

Tizoc

Really hope MRORANGE can put it up on the 17th...which in my case would be 1 AM on the 18th meaning I start my work day to see the list :v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom