• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one can't wait for Steam GOTY results.
Really curious whether any of my picks made top twenty.
I mean, there are people with good gaming taste posting here, but I've seen too much DA: I votes to think that we may be able to change anything. :\

Not a Steam game, won't count.

Feep

Banned
Wow. This looks really bad. It would not surprise me if it will be in a bundle in just 2 weeks.

Just kidding. Backed it and can not wait for it. Though I did not follow the whole KS process. Does it recognize german voice commands?
It certainly does! We're actually putting in default German grammar basics now (and Korean...and Russian...and Chinese...and Japanese...and Portugeuese...and...agh), though it's got some quirks. We're trying to decide between "Auf mein zeichen" and "Auf mein Befehl"...the former seems to have some connotation of being very visual/in person.

I'm hoping for a good amount of impressions for people using a controller or kb/m. Every time I get curious I just end up seeing video with the voice command, and I fly into a seething rage any time somebody wants me to talk to a computer. I've cancelled service because of a voice only IVR system when calling for support before.

It looks like it'll be fun and all for you lunatics who want to talk to machines though.
Woooo lunacy!

I wonder how many levels of broken the voice commands will be... I can't think of any game that's pulled it off acceptably.

Hopefully the gameplay is fun without the voice stuff, like Binary Domain.
Zero.

Zero levels of broken.

Son I wouldn't make an entire goddamn game around voice commands unless they goddamn worked.

Knurek

Zero.

Zero levels of broken.

Son I wouldn't make an entire goddamn game around voice commands unless they goddamn worked.

Please, please, please add a DLC/copy protection feature/option that will have the game intentionally misunderstand voice commands.
Just for the kick of it (also, would make a great party game).

I just got my first "Hi bro you need it? (phishingthing.jpg)"

I've had about 3 or 4 in the last few days posted to my profile. One was the typical Level 0 private account, the other seemed like genuine accounts. Level 10+, one was L22 and had 100+ games. I assume these were already compromised accounts? The only common factor I could find was that someone on my friends list was on theirs. So I imagine they gain control of an account and automatically spam everyone on the friends list, then everyone on the friends friend list etc...

Feep

Banned
Please, please, please add a DLC/copy protection feature/option that will have the game intentionally misunderstand voice commands.
Just for the kick of it (also, would make a great party game).
This is actually hilarious.

How do companies actually do this? Do they just check if the Steam CEG goes through? Because that's easy enough, but anything more sophisticated I probably can't manage. = P

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Steam feed is filled with ".. has added SAKURA ANGELS to their wishlist"

I'm not saying my hands are clean here

Knurek

This is actually hilarious.

How do companies actually do this? Do they just check if the Steam CEG goes through? Because that's easy enough, but anything more sophisticated I probably can't manage. = P

I have no idea, sorry. Most probably CRC32 check on the executable + other things.
Would still be great to have an option for regular customers. I've always wanted to try that pink scorpion from Serious Sam or eyepatch from Alan Wake. :)

_hekk05

Banned
Mine was buying MW3 with full price.

That reminds me I bought Blops II full price. That was bullshit

I also bought Disgaea 4 and P4G mere days before they went on sale for 40-50% off, but they're good games and I never expected Sony to even discount them
Sob.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I have officially entered weird levels of obsession with this game now.

Next thing you know, you'll have 300+ avatars and occasionally update an appreciation thread that only one other person regularly posts in! ;)

Dr Dogg

Next thing you know, you'll have 300+ avatars and occasionally update an appreciation thread that only one other person regularly posts in! ;)

Hey that's part of your GAF identity and nothing too out of the ordinary, certainly better and no where near as weird than having a CEO of a technology company shopped into a comedy image as your avatar. Just as long as you don't go John Hinckley levels of crazy and try to off Tony Abbot although you might be dubbed as a national hero.

Monooboe

This might be a bit controversial but I don't feel the hype for Pillars of Eternity.o_O I mean it feel kind of too old school in a day where we have Divinity: Original Sin. I will of course get it and love it either way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I do believe Prime World: Defenders may just be the best Tower Defence game I have ever played, which is something as I play quite a lot. For a title that has as many different things going on at the same time, from standard Tower Defence to limited magic to card collecting (earned in game, booster packs in game), bosses, a story line, high score challenges on every stage against your friends, etc, it's remarkably streamlined and easy to understand. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the sub-genre.

Originally I was going to play it simply as a game for the 52 Game challenge, but this is something I'll take my time and fully enjoy over the course of a year rather than simply marking it off as something to beat right away. So many thanks to JShackles for gifting me the game, it's easily going to be one I play for many a hour for a very long time.

I'm glad to hear that you like it! I'm a huge fan of tower defense and I think I have to agree with you when I say it's my favorite. It's certainly the one I've played the most of on Steam. It does take some patience, as my only complaint is that it gets pretty "grindy" towards the end of the campaign, but it never really feels unfair in the sense that you always get stronger the longer you play it.

It's crazy to think that it was in a few bundles! It's holds the honor of being "my most-played bundle game" at 35 hours. Even after all that, I still feel like I could jump in any time and continue on, so I'll echo your recommendation to anyone who enjoys a good tower defense game.

Arthea

Meanwhile in Alphadia Genesis I found an arena to test my skills, oh joy. All my brave investigators were dead by the third round of lowest tier... to be fair, I was severely underlevelled for this trial, but I will be ready today or tomorrow, just you wait the Knight round!

Also I concur, Prime World: Defenders is great. I even tried to tell steamgaf how good it is two years ago or so, some believed, some not. It's nice to see it get some recognition finally.

This might be a bit controversial but I don't feel the hype for Pillars of Eternity.o_O I mean it feel kind of too old school in a day where we have Divinity: Original Sin. I will of course get it and love it either way.

bbbbut DOS is old school too!

zkylon

zkylewd

if anything i feel like it'll be more modern because it seems like it'll have actually a decent interface and user experience streamlining

300 avatars for real?

i have 600 zooey deschanel pictures and 2500 league of legends fanart pictures

the crazy is real lol

Hey that's part of your GAF identity and nothing too out of the ordinary, certainly better and no where near as weird than having a CEO of a technology company shopped into a comedy image as your avatar. Just as long as you don't go John Hinckley levels of crazy and try to off Tony Abbot although you might be dubbed as a national hero.
i understood nothing of this post

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you're feeling alone in your infatuation, might I suggest Emma Watson?

Too far in the opposite direction. :p

My area is getting fibre so he can stay or go for all I care. ;)

Dr Dogg

i understood nothing of this post

Hahaha oh come on zkylon.

Alright here's a brief break down. So I find it more rational and far more healthy to sport an avatar of some you admire who works in the entertainment industry, who primarily entertain you, than one of a CEO of a company who's main function is to keep their company profitable. Now of course obsession can get to some crazy levels and in the case of John Hinckley Jr. who was a tad besotted with Jodie Foster after seeing her in Taxi Driver (which is a bit creepy as she was about 12 then). After sending her countless letters and getting ignored he then attempted to assassinate the US president of the time, Ronald Reagan, which I've paraphrased in mentioning the current Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbot but he's not exactly a popular fellow with some hence why I said that might be an act some might see in a different light.

So you're either a little more knowledgeable or I've just bored you to tears.

zkylon

zkylewd

Alright here's a brief break down. So I find it more rational and far more healthy to sport an avatar of some you admire who works in the entertainment industry, who primarily entertain you, than one of a CEO of a company who's main function is to keep their company profitable. Now of course obsession can get to some crazy levels and in the case of John Hinckley Jr. who was a tad besotted with Jodie Foster after seeing her in Taxi Driver (which is a bit creepy as she was about 12 then). After sending her countless letters and getting ignored he then attempted to assassinate the US president of the time, Ronald Reagan, which I've paraphrased in mentioning the current Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbot but he's not exactly a popular fellow with some hence why I said that might be an act some might see in a different light.

maybe a bit of both <3

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of CheesecakeRecipe, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CheesecakeRecipe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Evolve Beta -- MB-BF4324DFE9939BD4
All aboard for the TurtleRock Trainwreck

t1421407525z1.png

Tizoc

I must say I really like some of those monster designs :)

I'll add this one to my list of games to bring up at some point.

Are there more, as of yet unannounced games, are being planned for release on Steam from your end, you know to look forward to?
Cuz I'd love to see El Shaddai on Steam, if only to get rid of my retail PS3 copy lol

vocab

What's the go to ssd to HDD vice versa tool to use? I know the op has two tools listed but game save manager also has it as well.

Dr Dogg

My area is getting fibre so he can stay or go for all I care. ;)

Still waiting and it's looking like 2018 here. It's a ridiculous situation as the government is giving grants to councils who primarily have poorly connected rural areas but to qualify they have to have a certain number of dwellings per telephone exchange to be considered which puts me shit out of luck as we're not near another an exchange in a profitable area or in an area considered to be entitled to a grant. My phone is faster than my fixed line broadband.

Why is there a hype train for the Win10 event?

There's a train of hype for anything and everything now. It's only going to lead to disappointment.

maybe a bit of both <3

Hahaha, touche.

Ozium

WIN 10 gonna blow everyone out of the water man when you see what Phil Spencer has cooking you will be utterly flabergasted! The Microsoft team have worked extra hard to make sure PC Gamers are well taken care of. Microsoft has the power and tenacity to finally do what giants like EA or UBISOFT have failed--take down Valve. Soon we shall all rejoice at no longer being held hostage.

autoduelist

i was playing kane and lynch last week and when you finally find and rescue your daughter, she's on her underwear, which i'm guessing is meant to lead us to think she was sexually abused. no mention of it is made and game carries on, alleged rape is there just to say "hey you know, those guys were really evil!"

A vast majority of communication in any visual medium (film, art, games) is done through 'visual shorthand' like this [same in 'real life', too, really].

I do believe Prime World: Defenders may just be the best Tower Defence game I have ever played, which is something as I play quite a lot. For a title that has as many different things going on at the same time, from standard Tower Defence to limited magic to card collecting (earned in game, booster packs in game), bosses, a story line, high score challenges on every stage against your friends, etc, it's remarkably streamlined and easy to understand. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the sub-genre.

I put about 10 hours into it earlier this week. And... I'm going to have to disagree. My issues:

1) TD wise, it owes a great debt to Defense Grid. Now, it copies stuff extremely well, and does it well, so that in and of itself doesn't bother me.

but...

The card stuff, while cool at first, soon breaks the game. It's a ridiculously grind heavy. It also has your standard 'two currencies' [silver and stars] found in many f2p games, and while this isn't f2p, it's got all the same issues.

For example:
In order to ever upgrade a tower in mission, you need to find at least two identical cards to 'evolve' them. I've played dozens of games, and think I have three dupes to show for it, all of them useless.

However, you can also slightly upgrade towers outside of missions too. (Separate from normal tower defense upgrading). This will eventually cost a fortune.

I played the same damn mission (about 5 missions in, when you have the option to do the challenges) around 30 times... the same exact grind, over and over, just trying to earn cards to level up what I already had, or maybe get something useful.

I mean, sure, I could spend all that silver evolving and fusing my slow tower, but the slow tower is actually a fairly bad tower and I'd be spending time grinding tons of cards/silver just to get it leveled. So instead, you end up grinding hoping to get a good rare (or unique) tower. So you just keep doing that 75 wave mission, over and over, hoping for some extremely rare card to drop... and even a rare card might be useless to you. Heck, even if you get a rare one, you need to get another one just to fuse it.

At this point, I googled it... and guides actually recommend playing this level over and over and over to upgrade stuff so that you have a fighting chance later.

I ended up getting extremely lucky, and earning enough stars to buy the 'unique card pack' and getting 2 awesome towers (dragon and ice) but i did some research and many people spend those hours earing those 20 stars then buy the pack and get absolute trash. I then spent hours just trying to earn silver to buy arcane packs to level up my dragon tower.

I quit in frustration. it's just such a grind. And I can't even level my dragon tower in mission till i find at least one more. Ugh. What's hilarious is my level 5 'wooden tower' that I fused to be able to upgrade to level 2 in mission (the tutorial fuse) is more poweful than my 'unique' dragon tower that I spent hours grinding up to level 12 or so. In all that time grinding, I never saw another dragon tower or wooden tower to fuse. Not even one. And even if i did? I'd have to win the stupid card draw game and risk not getting it.

Give me Defense Grid any day. Prime World Defenders is definitely a great tower defense game in the same way, but the dual currency upgrade system kills it.

A good TD game needs to be balanced. But how can you balance a TD game against that card upgrading system? Does the player still have level 1 cards that can't be upgraded in mission? Or do they have level 25 unique cards that have been fused 5 times and do exponentially more damage for the same placement cost? And since level 1 cards are trash, you first need to grind to get useful cards, then grind to get them to a reasonable level. And if you weren't grinding uniques, you'll need to do it all over again when you finally get a unique.

titch

they mix wondefully

Didn't last night for me was really needing to get sleep but wanted to get one more level 100% in before I hit the hay, ended up messing up 5 times just because I was tired and was trying to get through it, ended up admitting defeat...sad times...

Fun fact: Uninstalling Half-Life 1 did basically the same thing on Windows a very long time ago because of a bug in Sierra's uninstaller! LOL!

Ouch that's nasty.

That HBW is sweet, not sure I can handle so much beat'em up goodness, but I'll try

There's only two games on it I really want, a couple that I'm ok for, a couple that are meh ok I will take a look and one at least is a could I even be bothered putting in the steam key, could end up giving half of it away -> anyone really want one that isn't guacamelee, ascendant, or reaper.

Dr Dogg

The only way I can see Microsoft taking down Steam at this point is if Windows 10's hosts file has 0.0.0.0 store.steampowered.com included by default.

Daenerys as queen and Stannis as Hand, believe!

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Are there more, as of yet unannounced games, are being planned for release on Steam from your end, you know to look forward to?
Cuz I'd love to see El Shaddai on Steam, if only to get rid of my retail PS3 copy lol

Yes there are. Not El Shaddai but we do have some more things in the pipeline :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom