• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, because i helped my brother with converting Dark Souls to steamworks, i was reminded that it had some problems with people doing PvP or summoning other players. Does these problems still exist? i wanted to do a new run with a different build with a friend, but we stopped until things were fixed.

Nabs

so, because i helped my brother with converting Dark Souls to steamworks, i was reminded that it had some problems with people doing PvP or summoning other players. Does these problems still exist? i wanted to do a new run with a different build with a friend, but we stopped until things were fixed.

It's region (soft) locked, meaning you can game it by switching your download region. Just switch it to the same region in your steam settings and you'll be able to summon instantly. It's so good.

It's region (soft) locked, meaning you can game it by switching your download region. Just switch it to the same region in your steam settings and you'll be able to summon instantly. It's so good.
hmm, interesting. I wasn't able to summon my friend, and we both live in brazil. Will check after i get back home if he uses a different download region for some reason. Thanks!

You can also switch to something less popular temporarily.
has FROM or Namco adressed the region locking? seems bizarre to make you only be able to play with people from one region.

Nabs

hmm, interesting. I wasn't able to summon my friend, and we both live in brazil. Will check after i get back home if he uses a different download region for some reason. Thanks!

You can also switch to something less popular temporarily.

has FROM or Namco adressed the region locking? seems bizarre to make you only be able to play with people from one region.

Yeah, they said they'd look into it. I think it's a Steamworks toggle that needs to be flipped off.

Asgaro

I don't want to sound greedy but...

I thought with the GTA V pre order being up and GTA San Andreas being given for free, I was expecting a flood of GTA San Andreas giveaways.
Since if you own the game already, you can gift it.

keys pls =)

(where's mik anyway?)

iosefe

I don't want to sound greedy but...

I thought with the GTA V pre order being up and GTA San Andreas being given for free, I was expecting a flood of GTA San Andreas giveaways.
Since if you own the game already, you can gift it.

keys pls =)

(where's mik anyway?)

we scared him off ages ago and he changed his steam name.

Lomax

Hearing Clementine's voice show up as a random (adult) character in Puzzle Agent is somewhat disconcerting.

they also don't charge right away, so really no loss if they don't honor it.

I'm not worried about somehow losing the $5, I just will be very disappointed if they cancel it. I really want the game, enough to consider spending the $20, and to get it now for $5 would be a great find.

It'sssss Happy Hour! :p

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Cloning Clyde -- MB-4B8EE3777F76CD53 - Taken by rrvv
Cloning Clyde #2 -- MB-033470DB18741470 - Taken by DaBargainHunta
Lunar Pack (Wake & Lunnye Devitsy) #2 -- MB-9D935FFE31E23425 - Taken by Tesseract
Lunar Pack (Wake & Lunnye Devitsy) -- MB-82876C5896AD6380 - Taken by Saty
9th Company: Roots Of Terror -- MB-800DEB819AA84068
Runes of Brennos -- MB-411BF737F12CE806 - Taken by user237
Theatre Of The Absurd -- MB-9C3A11FF3703F1BA - Taken by Akuosa
Five Nights at Freddy's -- MB-1D8146BC533025B6 - Taken by texhnolyze
Mythos: The Beginning #2 -- MB-D278B28F5EB79CA2 - Taken by HP_Wuvcraft
Runes of Brennos #2 -- MB-C56652D337117B85 - Taken by autoduelist
The Desolate Hope #2 -- MB-34A102E32B610AE4 - Taken by alr1ght
Hunters Of The Dead -- MB-E3B2A2C5DD93F92F - Taken by sensoft04
Mythos: The Beginning -- MB-1444F4F0914CFB5E - Taken by dot
Five Nights at Freddy's #2 -- MB-61D2F22C1F3EFBE5 - Taken by Pestilence11
9th Company: Roots Of Terror #2 -- MB-8C3DD75A4377485D
Theatre Of The Absurd #2 -- MB-24A81F66E3843441 - Taken by Lomax
Hunters Of The Dead #2 -- MB-577BB8D8D462D31E - Taken by thereisnoif
The Desolate Hope -- MB-920D1CB3386A6E9F - Taken by Abomination

It seems the publishers slowly want to get into the chinese market. Like half a year ago the prices werent like that.
Even the Saints Row Franchise Pack is like 10$ here.

Though I still think the prices needs to be more on russian levels.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Update required (not queued) It's been stuck like this for a day or two now. Not sure what's going on.

esj_zpsfda835d3.png

D3RANG3D

I'm having the same problem, and I removed and then updated, but its still crashing for me. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Jshackles said a few pages back it was more a Firefox problem than ES problem, try removing the plugin, restart your browser, and do a fresh install from enhancedsteam.com.

If it still crashes see if there is a update for your browser, or try a firefox fork if that is an option (Waterfox,Cyberfox).

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Update required (not queued) It's been stuck like this for a day or two now. Not sure what's going on.

esj_zpsfda835d3.png

I sometimes have that issue. I'd assumed it was because I was forcing steam to only download from a particular server, so I'm un-metered, and the update hadn't made it to that server yet.

Impressions:

I won Cloning Clyde from generous GAFer WinterDemons. It was one of those "oh, that looks cool, so let's see how it is" entries for me.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. The artstyle is basic but appealing and charming, filled with little details, and the controls are as smooth as butter (360 controller). It's an action platformer, and as you might've guessed from the name, it involves clones. I'm not sure what the clones entail yet. So far, all I've had to do is help them escape from each area, but I assume there will be more gameplay elements introduced for them as I progress.

I've only made it through a couple of levels, but I like what I've played so far.

(BTW, to adjust resolution options and default to full screen, you have to go into the Steam folder for the game and click on ClydeSettings. There's no way to do it in-game. Not very intuitive, but easy enough once you know where to look.)

I believe there's still another one up for grabs in WD's giveaway.

I sometimes have that issue. I'd assumed it was because I was forcing steam to only download from a particular server, so I'm un-metered, and the update hadn't made it to that server yet.
Weird...

How can I tell which server I'm on? I vaguely remember setting all of that up long ago, but I have no recollection what I put.

Guys, Mini Metro is terrific. Still in Beta, therefore some stuff are missing (for example the music, which will be composed by Disasterpeace it seems), but it's already fantastic.

And since you guys seem to be into puzzle games with Hexcells, you should take a look at Sokobond, it's very good too.

Mmm, just played about an hour of Beyond Earth on the free weekend. My initial impressions so far are: yeah, Endless Legend is the better, more innovative game. Just felt a bit bored with it being soo samey to Civ V. I'll give it some more time tomorrow but yeah, glad I've saved my money. Unless it gets really cheap, I can almost certainly wait until the inevitable expansion(s)/complete edition.

Feep

Banned
I have an announcement to make.

With EviLore's blessing, as part of There Came an Echo's Trading Card Set (5/5), I have added a :neogaf: Steam emoticon.

f67294763a0c52e5193f55934ab5c280f7152653.png

f91a74479f8cc11231e0a8c2de59cc8647e5069f.png

You know you want it.

With EviLore's blessing, as part of There Came an Echo's Trading Card Set (5/5), I have added a :neogaf: Steam emoticon.

You know you want it.
Wow, that's really cool. INTEREST PIQUED.

I wonder how much the Neogaf connection will inflate its market price, if at all.

Erudite

esj_zpsfda835d3.png
A shot in the dark here, but the last time something like this happened to me, I fixed it by clearing out some space on my HDD that the game was located on.

Tizoc

Not sure if it's been said before but Resident Evil Remake Remaster is now available for pre-loading.
Which is a good thing for me since it's 16.8GBs!

GMG haven't sent out codes yet though...

Really? Didn't realize it was that massive.

17 GB sounds OK to me, I mean 60 FPS needs all dat space lol.

Hmm, GTA V is apparently only $30 in China and isn't affected by the ACRTAG tag with no locks. Tempting...

Teach me how to get a copy please.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sort of. Technically speaking it's a Firefox bug (it's in the release notes for the latest version).

Be sure to grab the latest version of the extension from http://firefox.enhancedsteam.com as versions older than 7.2.2 won't automatically update. A few people are still reporting crashes, but less often. Hopefully Mozilla has a fix available soon.
i dunno which version i had before but i did as you told. i think it was pretty recent cos i just now started using firefox

I honestly don't know how it can be avoided. A woman with a bruised eye is 'code' for 'domestic abuse' in every cop show. A badly tattoo'd number on an arm is 'code' for Holocaust survivor in every movie/tv show ever. They don't always get into deep discussions on it, because the entire point of a visual reference is to put forth a huge data dump into viewers minds with a simple, quick image. I don't think that's 'haphazard', I think that's an effective use of the medium and, more importantly, how human communication works. Not everything needs a back story when a simple image can get the viewers mind to 'fill in' the relevant backstory in an instant.

It worth noting this isn't just used for 'bad stuff', it's used for everything. It's how all communication works. You see a kid smiling and opening a present in a tv show, and you 'know' it's probably their birthday w/o it ever being stated. You see a cop staring in a mirror and taking a pill and you 'know' he's probably addicted to painkillers due to some previous injury. It's just visual story telling at its purest. Our minds are meant to fill in the blanks, if everything was explained every time we'd quickly grow to hate it.
i think it's fine for minor things, but my example in particular was during a key scene in the game that happened to one of the 5 characters in the game that are allowed more than one line of dialogue

what i'm saying specifically is that the way videogames do this shit is really bad on most cases, not that the visual storytelling shit is bad in itself

SSPssp

Jshackles said a few pages back it was more a Firefox problem than ES problem, try removing the plugin, restart your browser, and do a fresh install from enhancedsteam.com.

If it still crashes see if there is a update for your browser, or try a firefox fork if that is an option (Waterfox,Cyberfox).

OK, thanks I'll try it. If it still doesn't work I guess I should just switch to Chrome for now.

The-Bean

Hmm, GTA V is apparently only $30 in China and isn't affected by the ACRTAG tag with no locks. Tempting...

This is tempting, GTAV and TW3 are the only games I'm looking forward to (and I've already got TW3 pre-ordered). Some people are trading it for 16 keys.

How does trading work now that these restrictions are in place? I was gonna get 16 keys but it looks like the won't be tradable until a week after purchase. =/ By then I imagine it will be region locked. :(

autoduelist

what i'm saying specifically is that the way videogames do this shit is really bad on most cases, not that the visual storytelling shit is bad in itself

Oh, I guess? Most movies and books are shite too, and they're written by people who put 'writing' on their resume. Most games have plots shoehorned in by people who are just trying to make a game and need to attach a plot. So... yeah, they're not well written (as a general rule, there are certainly exceptions). I can't count how many shows/movies use women running out of a room in their underwear to mean rape, or perhaps 'this building the hero raided was a sex slave brothel'. Taken comes to mind, but there's got to be hundreds of other examples.

Elija2

You know you want it.

You've just ensured a purchase by me.

Unless I just buy the emoticon on the market.

Tizoc

This is tempting, GTAV and TW3 are the only games I'm looking forward to (and I've already got TW3 pre-ordered). Some people are trading it for 16 keys.

How does trading work now that these restrictions are in place? I was gonna get 16 keys but it looks like the won't be tradable until a week after purchase. =/ By then I imagine it will be region locked. :(

The game is gifted to you after purchase.

tm24

Does anyone else have LiquidSword on their Steam friend list? Got a bunch of nonsense in a chat from him so i wonder if he lost control of his account and if anyone else got hit by that crazy spam

I could gift it to people, since I am currently in China. One thing though is, I first need to check how to pay there. I know I can pay with a CC, but actually I do not want to use my CC for these things.
Paypal doesnt work sadly with Steam here, since my PP is registered on my german adress and when I try to buy it with them, it shows the PP contact adress is different from my current steam adress.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, I guess? Most movies and books are shite too, and they're written by people who put 'writing' on their resume. Most games have plots shoehorned in by people who are just trying to make a game and need to attach a plot. So... yeah, they're not well written (as a general rule, there are certainly exceptions). I can't count how many shows/movies use women running out of a room in their underwear to mean rape, or perhaps 'this building the hero raided was a sex slave brothel'. Taken comes to mind, but there's got to be hundreds of other examples.

the problem is that they're hundreds and hundreds of movies that talk about the subject matter in an intelligent way, while there's just a handful of games that deal with sex, consensual or not, without it being juvenile or manipulative.

it's fact that 90% of all movies/books/music/whatever is shit, but since there are so many more movies, created by a much more diverse group of people for a much more diverse audience for over a century, movies are just in a better state

also taken is a shit movie, just spent talking shit about it for an hour with friends at a bar lol

Tizoc

^Yeah but how do the ears fit with the anatomy?

I could gift it to people, since I am currently in China. One thing though is, I first need to check how to pay there. I know I can pay with a CC, but actually I do not want to use my CC for these things.

Whereabouts in China are you mate? I won't be free for another 10ish hours if you can gift people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom