• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I feel that I robbed Letter Quest by not including it on GOTY list, but it needs way better soundtrack for that and better way of score-achievements handling, other than that, it should be there...

Finally someone else has Banished on their list.
Banished is rather grim, slow and not exactly easy, but it will be on list of those dedicated to genre, I'm sure of it.

Your third position is also my third position, and it seems to me it's criminally under represented in other SteamGOTY lists. :(

Y'all ought to play it and edit your lists, like, right now.

totally agree on this with you Copons, I can't believe that people already forgot how much they enjoyed it! ;)

baterism

Anyone ever do a census for Steam-GAF? I'm just curious how old ya'll are :3

I'm 36

Just booted Ubuntu since quite some times, latest Nvidia driver for Linux is pretty good. I'm really surprised. Gaming on Linux really have come a long way. Dolphin for linux also run exceptionaly good. If we see SteamBoy in one or two years, I'm quite sure we will see near perfect Wii emulation on handheld size.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
All this age talk reminds me I'll be a year older next saturday. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

dancexioumvjuop.gif

I am 10 and what is this thread

I'd like to play some CS:GO but I am not sure if I am willing to get called a fucking retard by a russian fellow just now

Jawmuncher

Game 5 (1 point) : dark souls 2
Game 4 (2 points) : the wolf among us
Game 3 (3 points) : Alien Isolation
Game 2 (4 points) : Transistor
Game 1 (5 points) : Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet

That little planet is indeed going to stay small this voting from the rest of GAF.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

The Ingenious Machine: New and Improved Edition -- MB-1D5144CFF7FADD93 - Taken by NingenJanai
Biglands: A Game Made By Kids -- MB-4C13EA7992784732 - Taken by bobnowhere
Nuclear Throne -- MB-1879FDAB91044EB2 - Taken by billmcdougal
Sneaky Sneaky -- MB-FC4ADFBAA53097A4 - Taken by Kifimbo
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-77388D28995B5ADB - Taken by 7Sins
Alpha Zylon -- MB-6BAAA4BC3240A4E1 - Taken by Kurt Russell

Parsnip

1982 is the best year.

The grinding didn't take me too long and it felt damn good to wrap this up in my first run efficiently rather than dealing with it in NG+ like I did on GFWL.

Yeah, looking back at my g4wl run it's almost a little embarrassing how much pointless grinding I ended up doing. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.

Also, come on, Squeenix, time for a Steam release:

pcsx2-r58752014-02-23b0pxl.png

The game still looks better than 90% of curgen games...

Balthier. <3

Copons

I'd like to play some CS:GO but I am not sure if I am willing to get called a fucking retard by a russian fellow just now

I delayed my descent in the battlefield for the very same belief, but when I did I actually found a much better environment compared to my previous FPS experiences on CoD (both PC and X360).

My suggestion is: warm up for some time in deathmatch (or arms race, or demolition) with the voice chat DISABLED (those modes aren't teamwork-based, so no communication is needed) and when you start to feel comfortable with all the various weapons quickly switch to competitive, now with voice enabled.

Competitive is just a bad name for "ranked matchmaking", and while it has the downside of temp-banning some behaviours (like, if you log out in the middle of a match you get 30 minutes of ban - but it's a fair penalty, considering you'll leave your team with a bot for the rest of the match), it also mostly put you in and against teams of roughly your skill level.
This means that at the beginning, your teammates will play bad, often worse than you, therefore you'll rarely receive all the customary insults.
And, when you rank up, you'll both see that people play with a more serious attitude with even less insults, and you'll just give zero fuck about the rare but unavoidable idiot.

I'm 36

Anyway I finished two games today.

The Fall: Play it, it's brilliant. Combo of The Swapper, a twin-stick shooter, some platforming and a point and click wrapped up in a brilliant story

Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles
: It's a hidden object game, play it if you like Holmes. Story goes completely supernatural, time travel etc... unlike the implied nature of the original story.

I delayed my descent in the battlefield for the very same belief, but when I did I actually found a much better environment compared to my previous FPS experiences on CoD (both PC and X360).

My suggestion is: warm up for some time in deathmatch (or arms race, or demolition) with the voice chat DISABLED (those modes aren't teamwork-based, so no communication is needed) and when you start to feel comfortable with all the various weapons quickly switch to competitive, now with voice enabled.

Competitive is just a bad name for "ranked matchmaking", and while it has the downside of temp-banning some behaviours (like, if you log out in the middle of a match you get 30 minutes of ban - but it's a fair penalty, considering you'll leave your team with a bot for the rest of the match), it also mostly put you in and against teams of roughly your skill level.
This means that at the beginning, your teammates will play bad, often worse than you, therefore you'll rarely receive all the customary insults.
And, when you rank up, you'll both see that people play with a more serious attitude with even less insults, and you'll just give zero fuck about the rare but unavoidable idiot.

I have played 150 hours of competitive so there's that, but it's an constant annoyance, especially on upper levels ^^

I mostly don't want it right now because I feel sort of hung over hehe

Ryne

Irkalla... Just damn.

(Awesome GIF)

Probably won't see this until 2016.

Is there a website where someone can keep track of smaller indie titles? I hate to miss out on games that look like something I would play.

I went to Irkalla's devs twitter and saw another awesome looking game, Children of Morta. I want to keep track of these somehow.

Stuart Scott.....damn. RIP

Banished is rather grim, slow and not exactly easy, but it will be on list of those dedicated to genre, I'm sure of it.

I didn't think it was that difficult.....and then people started dying. I'm on year 15 currently and my OG settlers are now dying out and I can't replace them fast enough.

Arthea

I didn't think it was that difficult.....and then people started dying. I'm on year 15 currently and my OG settlers are now dying out and I can't replace them fast enough.

Striking balance in that game is finicky, if you overpopulate even a little your people start dying of starvation, or cold or diseases or go naked and without tools and if you keep population low they start dying of old age and any shifts in balance take time, if you overdo one side other side goes kaboom, any progression is never final, things change and usually not for the better, it's almost too realistic game ;)

wow everyone is so much older than me :(

...and I'm so much older than 'everyone' :p.

45 here. Old-GAF, reporting in.

Now that's more like it!

Hello fellow old'un! 49 year old here :).

Just finished State of Decay (also #1 of 52 for the 2015 challenge!), and while I mostly appreciated the ride, wowee what an underwhelming ending. :/

Well that's something for me to not look forward to then!

I just quit after driving my car into a fuel tank, losing 8 allies :/. Time to re-start from the very beginning AGAIN! :mad: It was going so well too! :'(

Bah! I WILL finish this game! :mad: If I can complete XCOM EU on Classic Ironman I can do this too! I'll just have to cut down on the really stupid self inflicted deaths. Multiple really stupid self inflicted deaths.

No you are NOT allowed to point at me and laugh! :mad: If you don't behave I'll put you across my knee! You're not too old :mad:.

Annubis

Striking balance in that game is finicky, if you overpopulate even a little your people start dying of starvation, or cold or diseases or go naked and without tools and if you keep population low they start dying of old age and any shifts in balance take time, if you overdo one side other side goes kaboom, any progression is never final, things change and usually not for the better, it's almost too realistic game ;)

Damn. I didn't know that game was that hardcore.
Not sure if less or more interested now.

(30 y-o)

I just sent my Steam GOTY picks to MRORANGE… Man, I've only played six Steam games released in 2014, even though I've beaten more than 40 games this year :/

Kiru

Sorry for the wall of text, if you don't want to read my thoughts about dimmdrive, please skip this post.

You know if I could get a steam key somehow ? I won a key back when he gave some away on reddit. It was posted in the wild and I downloaded it after using a legit key. I have no idea where I would find a proof of ownership now. There isn't a way to redownload it too. I'm lost, lol.

Mokoi

Banned
That little planet is indeed going to stay small this voting from the rest of GAF.
I too have included it on my list. Still haven't submitted it in yet because damm there were just too many good games released last year. It's hard to chose mane.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

I'm 36

Finally finished Assassin's Creed: Unity yesterday and saw the credits for Sam & Max: Ice Station Santa a couple of hours ago. I'm on a roll!

Unity is such a weird title. Truly astonishing how often that game switches between impressive and awfull.
When everything works, and i'm not only talking about glitches, it's (can be) better then ever before. Such a shame it doesn't work very often.
Sequence 7-11 where a drag. The story was uninteresting and felt stitched together, a problem I have with more open-world titles but Ubisoft's games in particular. The final sequence was suprisingly fun, though. Looks like they saved the best for last, so to speak.

A real anti-climactic ending, though. Not that I care. The character's where just there during the entire adventure, and some of them still where when everything ended.
But i'm not uninstalling the game. Paris is beautiful and can be a lot of fun to climb through. And I like collect-a-thons, so there's that. The whole initiates and app thing get's a bit in the way of truly enjoying the bar-filling, though.

- Assassin's Creed: Unity (+-40Hrs) **/*****
- Sam & Max S02E01: Ice Station Santa (+-4Hrs) ***/*****

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You know what would be neat? Take the number of steam games you have and divide it by your age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom