• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

You know what? I wish this game was on Steam (or well Origin), just watched the movie again and really enjoyed it again
Rango_video_game_cover.jpg

Too lazy to look for a PS3 copy and playing it on my PS3 so... :V

If you haven't watched it yet, you missed out on one of the BEST animated movie of the past 10 years.

Usually through magazines. L4D2 was revealed on E3 MS presser though, and Gabe was at Sony presser for Portal 2 (game was announced before that though), and I think Portal and TF2 were revealed at some EA event (well, TF2 was announced and shown much before, but that was a different version), HL2 also had a famous E3 showing, but those were before Valve went all in on GaaS.

Interesting, I can't imagine they doing it with their current focus.

So now that Dark Souls can be played sans-GFWL, I've started a new character and I'll give it a go. I had a lot of issues with GFWL in the past so it's nice to know I can play it now without headaches. I also got a little frustrated in the beginning of the game the last time I played it, because I kept dying. This time, I'm realizing that patience is key as I'm learning the controls and what my character is capable of.
So I'm seeing the appeal of it and so far (about 2 hours in) I'm slowly getting the hang of it.
While I love Dark Souls I think it is not a game for everyone. There is a lot of backtracking, farming, fighting the same enemies over and over, wandering the same path over and over, especially for newcomers it can be off-turning.
That said, loosing souls, dying over and over is something that will get less annoying over time. Even more so after leveling up a bit, getting better weapons and learning enemies' behavior in and out.
Regions once untameable become a walk in the park where you destroy once dreaded foes literally while walking by them - even without locking to them or using shields! That feeling really is extremely satisfying :)

I can only speak for myself but Demons Souls gave me much more headaches at its start and even to a lesser degree throughout the whole game. I find Dark Souls way easier to get into and play.
Patience is the key, not rushing fights and generally staying level-headed. It is a fun ride which doesn't get stale for me even after almost 60hrs.

Also, don't try to play in human form much. People kept invading me constantly :/ Only go human when I can't beat a boss alone and need summons.

Have fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
only 3 i want valve to announce is drakengard 3 lol

also yea gral dark souls recmmendation is weapon upgrades >>>>>> character upgrades >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>armor upgrades

Jawmuncher

Yeah weapon upgrades are important dunno how I have gone through all of the games and not realize I can upgrade my weapon until like half way

Did anyone else get one of those Gearbox Community Days keys last year? They were supposed to give Homeworld Remastered for free to those who used them on their site once the game was released, IIRC…

I was an idiot and used a fake mail address, so I think I won't get it in the end :/

EDIT: Found an article about it

Jawmuncher

Did anyone else get one of those Gearbox Community Days keys last year? They were supposed to give Homeworld Remastered for free to those who used them on their site once the game was released, IIRC…

I was an idiot and used a fake mail address, so I think I won't get it in the end :/

EDIT: Found an article about it

Maybe you can make the fake email real now and somehow by the gods still get it if they didn't require confirmation or something

Ryne

I really don't understand the hate against Ubisoft and the handling of invalid keys from G2A. If those keys are invalid/stolen, go after G2A, not after the company that was "wronged".

Nothing on my page

Where do you see that, on the Shift website or somewhere else?

EDIT: Uh, it seems I redeemed correctly my PAX card key back then (thanks, Gvaz!), but I never received the code for the pack itself since the fake mail was deactivated after 24 hours... I hate myself right now.

Turfster

Really? Looked pretty good, what went wrong?

"Hey now you're going to move in pitch black across a very narrow winding path that you can only see parts of for a few seconds if you tag the glowing plants with your grappling hook"
If you're half a millimeter off, your grappling hook can miss tagging the plant
and hook onto the floating rock behind it, pulling you off the fucking path.

I wonder how those free copies of Homeworld from the Gearbox community day will work. I was under the impression that it was going to be the first game and the remastered version of the first game, but it looks like the games are only being sold as a collection on Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sadly, a story about my uncle is quickly losing its welcome and becoming a chore.
it's prety short so its not a big deal but yeaa, not a game that takes good advantage of its mechanics

i found the game works best when you have all the tools and just get to do things like you want

whenever you're forced to go thru things in order the game falls apart for me because its not as precise as it should be to make platforming satisfying

oipic

I wonder how those free copies of Homeworld from the Gearbox community day will work. I was under the impression that it was going to be the first game and the remastered version of the first game, but it looks like the games are only being sold as a collection on Steam.

This email has been received by some of those who had redeemed Community Day codes:

Turfster

it's prety short so its not a big deal but yeaa, not a game that takes good advantage of its mechanics
The worst parts are the ones where you have to swing on 3 different floating rocks in a curved configuration and then land in a fucking hole the size of a penny.
Fuck you game your mechanics aren't nearly precise enough for this bullshit.
Or the ever classic "you can hook onto ONE of the blades of this windmill, but not all of them."Never mind, that was just more shitty hook detection.

derExperte

Really? Looked pretty good, what went wrong?

Most of the time everything works very well but then there's some part where one of the platforms is just a tad too far away to allow for the slightest error.

But replaying earlier levels made it pretty clear that there's no luck involved, you definitely can git gud (with kb/m mouse, would not recommend gamepad). Reminds me of the 3D Bionic Commando.

Nzyme32

This email has been received by some of those who had redeemed Community Day codes:

Gah, so jealous of those folks.

I'm so compelled to get the game because I loved it so, yet I know I should be busy with other things and even forgeting that, have so many games right now that there is no reason for me to buy anything for years

But I need it...

DocSeuss

Dragon Age: Inquisition? It really doesn't deserve GOTY.

Yeah, I stopped playing for a day or two and lost literally all momentum. I'm one quest away from finishing it and... I'm... not doing that.

Gah, so jealous of those folks.

I'm so compelled to get the game because I loved it so, yet I know I should be busy with other things and even forgeting that, have so many games right now that there is no reason for me to buy anything for years

But I need it...

I preordered the CE when it was announced. Still waiting to hear on that one. But I also did GBX community day...

I finished Saints Row 4 today. It was fun and I enjoyed some of the missions.
I didn't know Gat was still alive nor was I surprised because I remember in SRTT they didn't show Gat after Shaundi and your character heard gunshots.
Overall the game was okay. You barely drive in that game except in missions. I felt driving in that game was slow and weird. Didn't like the controls for driving. The series went from GTA theme to Crackdown theme. The game crashes on me 2-3 times which is a bummer during a mission, especially the last one where I got 2 crashes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ah, someone messaged me about this on Steam. I thought it sounded familiar, but your post fired off a few hitherto dormant synapses: I didn't enter the ModBot giveaways that people held. I regret nothing!

(For those feeling generous, please don't misconstrue this as a thinly-veiled beg post. Give your key to someone who'd actually play the games.)

I need to get back to Inquisition, was really enjoying it despite some of the filler and I think enough time has passed that I can get over the glitch that made my elf's voice turn from deep and soulful to British bachelor. The actual main missions were pretty diverse and interesting from the 40 hours I played.

Turfster

Most of the time everything works very well but then there's some part where one of the platforms is just a tad too far away to allow for the slightest error.

But replaying earlier levels made it pretty clear that there's no luck involved, you definitely can git gud (with kb/m mouse, would not recommend gamepad). Reminds me of the 3D Bionic Commando.

The shoddy collision and grapple hit detection are way too crappy for that.
Also, the fucking thing was sold as a relaxing experience to me. Not relaxing at all =p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm really enjoying Toxikk right now. The play dead mechanic is probably the best part of the game.

I found shift and space being distinctive yet similar rather weird, but again I spent very little time with the game as I just wanted to make sure it worked properly. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised considering I haven't played a competitive arena FPS since Q3's heyday -- things change.

And here I thought you were working.

I worked Wednesday through Saturday and did a couple extra hours on the latter. I've earned my two nights off. ;)

Terra_Ex

Dragon Age: Inquisition? It really doesn't deserve GOTY.
Certainly not in a year where we got Divinity & Dragonfall. It's not even on Origins level.

Last encounter with Corypheus was just meh.
Agreed, you are pretty much invincible at that point compared to him though, his gimmicky fight in the DA2 dlc was more interesting, and I can't believe I'm complimenting DA2, having actual crpgs on the horizon must have mellowed me.

On a side note, Wasteland 2 is so long, even counting my bloated playtime from alt-tabbing out and browsing GAF, it's taking me an age to finish. I took a break from W2 to complete Inquisition and got my ass kicked repeatedly in every random encounter since I resumed playing it this morning. I am enjoying it though, but I need that hard drive space back.

Ozium

I finished Saints Row 4 today. It was fun and I enjoyed some of the missions.
I didn't know Gat was still alive nor was I surprised because I remember in SRTT they didn't show Gat after Shaundi and your character heard gunshots.
Overall the game was okay. You barely drive in that game except in missions. I felt driving in that game was slow and weird. Didn't like the controls for driving. The series went from GTA theme to Crackdown theme. The game crashes on me 2-3 times which is a bummer during a mission, especially the last one where I got 2 crashes.

I recently finished 4 as well and found it to be the best SR game yet.. the main missions were absolutely insane and hilarious, the different genre parodies were fun and the super hero mechanics is the best I've ever played... way better than crackdown/infamous/prototype IMO

Turfster

And then I went exploring in
the Stray village
and got punished by being locked in by invisible walls.
God damn you a story about my uncle, I had such high hopes for you.

Turn off rumble, some random story thing still rumbles the fucking 360 pad off the table. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom