• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Did they plug the cart glitch or just prevented 4-pack gifting somehow?

According to what i've seen the 4pack gifting is prevented but you can still use the cart glitch to get different region subs without issues.(though I'm not sure about the pricing. If you try to get the ROW sub of GTA V from China it will cost the original 59.99$ the ROW sub costs. I'm not sure if this is specific of GTA V or if it's something that affects everything.)

Nabs

Phantom Breaker is really fun. It's very much a fighting game beat 'em up. Got me looking like Benny right now

iWq3QoABS1oPG.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
According to what i've seen the 4pack gifting is prevented but you can still use the cart glitch to get different region subs without issues.(though I'm not sure about the pricing. If you try to get the ROW sub of GTA V from China it will cost the original 59.99$ the ROW sub costs. I'm not sure if this is specific of GTA V or if it's something that affects everything.)

That was R* and upping the price was a rather clever way of discouraging cross-region purchases. I mean, it could have just added China as a PRC (forgive the abbreviation but I'm on my phone), but instead somebody got creative.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I remember that a few dozen pages ago people saying that 4pack copies are now region locked. This is false. Copies spawned from a 4pack are still region free. What changed is that 4packs can no longer be aqquired as gifts(unless that option is left open by the developer)

Oh, 4-Packs are still region free? I see that Toxikk has a 4-Pack. Does this mean I could get a cheap copy of Toxikk from a Russian trader?

Lomax

I am aware. I was actually going to go into GG's terrible stance on price errors (including Warlock and the Temple of Osiris debacle, the former of which I dealt with as well), but deleted it because it felt tangential.

The key word was "in mass quantities". I am also aware of the Sniper Elite 3 removal, but I'm under the assumption that this is affecting a lot more people than that. All I'm asking for is some communication. I expect that digital storefronts rarely (if ever) need to respond to consumers regarding key removals because they're representing a lot of different companies/want to correct a price error/etc. I don't expect it from publishers who should know better than to yank a bunch of keys out sight unseen and not expect that people would start trashing them, regardless of whether they knew the keys they purchased were illegal or not.

I have also read that Ubi wouldn't want to publish a list of authorized sellers because they have exclusivity deals with certain sites for pre-order DLC/better discounts/etc. I still think they should have given consumers forewarning before pulling the rug out under them. Just because Valve doesn't let people know when they're revoking keys, doesn't make it any more acceptable.

I'm not seeing any indication this is any larger volume than before, it's just gotten some press attention and is for a recent popular game. If anything I'd guess the Sniper Elite revoking was more widespread. Honestly, the way this has blown up seems more to be because people want to point the finger at Ubisoft because they are an easy target (and rightfully so).

Personally, I find the entire game industry's practices on sales numbers and the like despicable, and I absolutely include Valve in that. The only time we hear detailed sales numbers is rare honest indie developers and AAA bragging (which is often misleading). It's the one time I wish Valve was a public company, so that they were forced to release those numbers. The music and movie industry are far more transparent about sales numbers (Hollywood accounting aside) and even manage to make weekly numbers a major event. I feel like more transparency would go a long way to giving the entire industry more credibility, especially in comparison to those other entertainment industries. All of these companies hide their sales and deals as you mention behind the veil of NDAs and it just serves as a disservice to everyone.

titch

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So now that Dark Souls can be played sans-GFWL, I've started a new character and I'll give it a go. I had a lot of issues with GFWL in the past so it's nice to know I can play it now without headaches. I also got a little frustrated in the beginning of the game the last time I played it, because I kept dying. This time, I'm realizing that patience is key as I'm learning the controls and what my character is capable of.

So I'm seeing the appeal of it and so far (about 2 hours in) I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Toxikk any fun game?

It was the wee hours of the morning when it finished downloading, so I spent very little time with it. I just cranked up the graphics (figuring we've moved past the need for r_picmip 5) and killed a few bots.

zkylon

zkylewd
read the manga and novel too, I really love that series, it's so depressing and great.

i've been told i remind ppl of te protagonist of that show so i'm hoping that becomes a compliment at one point -_-

So now that Dark Souls can be played sans-GFWL, I've started a new character and I'll give it a go. I had a lot of issues with GFWL in the past so it's nice to know I can play it now without headaches. I also got a little frustrated in the beginning of the game the last time I played it, because I kept dying. This time, I'm realizing that patience is key as I'm learning the controls and what my character is capable of.

So I'm seeing the appeal of it and so far (about 2 hours in) I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

basically the best thing u can tell urself is "souls don't matter"

once u come to terms with that and learn to laugh it up when u die you'll be cruisn thru it

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Wow, I'm literally two cents short of buying 3 keys on the Steam Market. lol I just sold some cheap CSGO skin. Hopefully someone will buy it soon.

Anteater

i've been told i remind ppl of te protagonist of that show so i'm hoping that becomes a compliment at one point -_-

lol, you could relate to the protagonist but I don't think everyone is the same, and there are a lot of bizarre events for comical reason that are often exaggerated some may not like (in the manga especially).

The issue he has is kind of serious though which is a lot of people can relate to.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
basically the best thing u can tell urself is "souls don't matter"

once u come to terms with that and learn to laugh it up when u die you'll be cruisn thru it
Yeah I've kinda reserved myself to that already. I've (obviously) died a few times, but I have always been close to the spawning point and have been able to easily recover my souls pretty often. I know that as the game gets harder that won't always be a possibility.

It's so much more populated now and seeing so many shadows of others running around is neat. GFWL-era was a ghost town in comparison. Which character class are you using btw?
Yeah it seems like there is a lot more going on now compared to the last time I (tried) to play it. I chose the warrior class, but I'm wondering if not having magic or a ranged attack is going to bite me in the ass. I guess we'll see.

zkylon

zkylewd
get a bow and a couple hundred shitty arrows

always useful

lol, you could relate to the protagonist but I don't think everyone is the same, and there are a lot of bizarre events for comical reason that are often exaggerated some may not like (in the manga especially).

The issue he has is kind of serious though which is a lot of people can relate to.
i think that character is easily relatable, yeah, at least maybe for some ppl of my generation that are generally introverted and awkward

Uraizen

Banned
Phantom Breaker is really fun. It's very much a fighting game beat 'em up. Got me looking like Benny right now

iWq3QoABS1oPG.gif

Funny you should mention that. It's based off of the fighter Phantom Breaker. It seems like it has most of the defensive mechanics from that game and the only big change was back+special was changed to dash+special. Try pressing forward right before an enemy hits you and see what happens. It works great against bosses. The game even has ex versions of each special move, it's great.

AHA-Lambda

*sigh*

Just off of a 6 hour train ride and now sitting in an empty bar waiting for my dinner.
The shit I do for my work >_>

I'd rather be at my pc playing more Shadow of Mordor right now :p

The number of games is one thing, the 3s also, but why do people always dream about a huge stage show reveal is beyond me. That's for console land and all, compared to them Valve is low key as hell.

How was the reveal of Valve previous games?

Usually through magazines. L4D2 was revealed on E3 MS presser though, and Gabe was at Sony presser for Portal 2 (game was announced before that though), and I think Portal and TF2 were revealed at some EA event (well, TF2 was announced and shown much before, but that was a different version), HL2 also had a famous E3 showing, but those were before Valve went all in on GaaS.

Nabs

Funny you should mention that. It's based off of the fighter Phantom Breaker. It seems like it has most of the defensive mechanics from that game and the only big change was back+special was changed to dash+special. Try pressing forward right before an enemy hits you and see what happens. It works great against bosses. The game even has ex versions of each special move, it's great.

I figured the devs had FG backgrounds, but I had no idea the series had a background as a legit fighting game. That's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom