• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

That Into the Stars game looks so promising, but their credentials says otherwise (><)
Also their goal is kinda low for such a game, no?

There was a thread about it in gaming. The KS funds are for polish and outsourcing. Most of the game is already done, self funded (Hence the estimated July Release date).

that explains it. So, the game is almost finished? I might have backed... for $15, but that option is gone.

That Into the Stars game looks so promising, but their credentials says otherwise (><)
Also their goal is kinda low for such a game, no?

There was a thread about it in gaming. The KS funds are for polish and outsourcing. Most of the game is already done, self funded (Hence the estimated July Release date).

def sim

I'm definitely enjoying Styx so far. Losing 20 minutes of progress because I didn't realize this was an old school game that doesn't autosave every few minutes was a fun surprise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Crunch Time -- MB-D9F5C8C4804889B2 - Taken by NingenJanai
Castle -- MB-CADB3010100C0791 - Taken by WinterDemons
Star Nomad -- MB-C1B0B3C98CF24618 - Taken by redlacs

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Game 5 (1 point) : Divinity: Original Sin
Game 4 (2 points) : Endless Legend
Game 3 (3 points) : Wolfenstein The New Order
Game 2 (4 points) : Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Game 1 (5 points) : The Wolf Among Us

that's mine. Yeah typical I know.

Flip the order around and we would almost be in agreement.

I wonder if today a new, numbered HumbleBundle will launch.

It would have to be a mobile bundle. Every other category has over 24 hours left.

Arthea

I wonder if today a new, numbered HumbleBundle will launch.

next week only, AGDQ will run till next Tuesday.

Because..I live in Taiwan. If I could input manually..it would work. Its how I buy with steam lol.

still don't get it, sorry. Do you mean indiegala thinks you are from US without you using VPN or anything like that? You should e-mail their support, if that's the case, because they have really great support, fast and nice.

Sarcasm

next week only, AGDQ will run till next Tuesday.

still don't get it, sorry. Do you mean indiegala thinks you are from US without you using VPN or anything like that? You should e-mail their support, if that's the case, because they have really great support, fast and nice.

I have a USA bank card..my wife don't know why changed the address to current country. Works great for steam and humblebundle.

But IG wants you to select a state in a drop down menu. Which doesn't allow me to input my info AND will get declined.

SO yes I can't buy anything from IG.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It was in a IndieRoyale and a Groupees bundle in the past

Ah, I see. I was looking through itad's active bundle listings and coming up with nothing.

it was in a few bundles as greenlight title and came to steam a week ago.
speaking of Star Nomad (btw thanks for the game JaseC!), the dev shared few emails he exchanged with Desura regarding steam keys. probably nothing new for some of you here but i found it interesting reading

I'm surprised Desura doesn't have a standardized FAQ for the Steam key redemption process. It would cut down on the repetitive back and forth with new indie devs.

The ancillary facts about long term key redemption is interesting. It would be nice to see a breakdown of general behavior regarding desura.

FloatOn

good morning steamgaf

quick progress report:

I beat the 4th boss in Shovel Knight. Treasure Knight. The boss himself was laughably easy but god damn that level was ROUGH. I'm loving this game though. If you haven't played it yet - get on it asap!

Now Metal Gear Rising I haven't played for a few days but the last time I did I got up to that Monsoon boss guy and sweet jesus that cinematic before the fight was dope. The fight itself.... not so much. I got wrecked even on easy. I'll be playing this again soon.

have a great day everyone.

Videospel

Playing Recettear made me wish for more games where you play as a merchant, but perhaps a bit more advanced. Starting off small and eventually expanding your business and gaining passive income etc. Are there any games like this?

Megauap

Game 5 (1 point) : South Park: The Stick of Truth
Game 4 (2 points) : Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Game 3 (3 points) : Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
Game 2 (4 points) : Wolfenstein: The New Order
Game 1 (5 points) : Divinity: Original Sin

That's my list!

FloatOn

Playing Recettear made me wish for more games where you play as a merchant, but perhaps a bit more advanced. Starting off small and eventually expanding your business and gaining passive income etc. Are there any games like this?

Cook, Serve Delicioius

kind of.

Football Manager, start in the minor leagues and work your way up to first division, kinda.

D3RANG3D

it was in a few bundles as greenlight title and came to steam a week ago.
speaking of Star Nomad (btw thanks for the game JaseC!), the dev shared few emails he exchanged with Desura regarding steam keys. probably nothing new for some of you here but i found it interesting reading

I still haven't gotten my key yet I bought it from groupees. :'(

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Game 5 (1 point) : South Park: The Stick of Truth
Game 4 (2 points) : Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Game 3 (3 points) : Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
Game 2 (4 points) : Wolfenstein: The New Order
Game 1 (5 points) : Divinity: Original Sin

That's my list!

200.gif

Arthea

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294020/

this is what are you looking for, unfortunately I couldn't win auction for it and haven't played it yet, I doubt is half as fun as Recettear, but it interests me too. So, if you'll choose to play it, please post your impressions.

edited: I decided expand some on this post. If you are looking for economic sims, there are a lot of those, there are trade games too, the managing shop (or shops) games aren't that common, if not to say rare and those I've played are simpler than Recettear.

I got a couple of "Steam account - Query account by CD-key" today. Is it a new scam to worry about? The only think I can think off was I got one of the free Sins of a Dark Age keys from MMOBomb at about the same time and people were reporting that they were getting duplicate keys.

JaseC

I got a couple of "Steam account - Query account by CD-key" today. Is it a new scam to worry about? The only think I can think off was I got one of the free Sins of a Dark Age keys from MMOBomb at about the same time and people were reporting that they were getting duplicate keys.

When you attempt to register a used key, there's a "Retrieve Account" option designed to help those who may have accidentally registered the key to the wrong account. There's nothing to worry about provided your e-mail account password differs to that of your Steam account.

Chariot

The Guild II is pretty rad. You start of as an entepreneur with your choosen stats and traits and can start by buying some unoccupied business in a medieval town. You can hire and train employes, upgrade your assets, buy new businesses, blow up your business rivals, go in politics, rob people, trade, marry, die and give birth to your children who takeover business when you die.
Its an amazing game.

autoduelist

So my laptop's resolution is 3200x1800. Which is fine most of the time, but in some games everything is just too small. For example, I'm starting Wasteland 2 right now (with hexcells on the side) and the text is way too small, even with the settings for text turned up. It's effectively unplayable due to my eyes.

So... 3 questions.

1) What resolution do people recommend I switch to?
2) Should I switch resolution in game, or before I boot games? Is there such thing as a 'resolution manager' type app that just deals with this for me?
3) I usually play in windowed mode so I can switch out easy; in my limited testing with games, that means when I tab out I'm still in another resolution and everything's all messed up. Is there a general solution to this? Again, a way to make my computer know to only use that resolution in specific games, but to switch to native for anything else without me intervening?

I think very lowly of EA after the fact that both Sherlock Holmes(The Serrated Scalpel/The Case of the Rose Tattoo) and Blade Runner(Westwood Studios) are nowhere to be found digitally. Maybe in limbo forever. Those are some of my favorite games of all time.

Why blame EA? Licensing hell is publisher and platform independent.

That was cruel. I got all hyped, watch the vid, only to see 'coming to IOS and Googleplay.

Haven't tried it yet, but the reviews compare it to The Long Dark. It isn't as polished, but seems like a okay open-world survival game (kind of bare at the moment). You also get to name your dogs apparently. XD

The little dog hits the grid bug.

EA forums have had questions pertaining to these games, but the response is the typical "we have new titles coming out" blah blah blah.

Companies often don't answer licensing related questions because doing so looks like 'passing the buck' and just draws the ire of other companies. They can't say 'Oh, Warner Brother's won't let us renew the license' or 'Vangelis won't let us use the music' or whatever the cause is, because doing so would cause an internet shitstorm and whoever they blamed would get tons of hatemail/etc. It sucks for us out of the loop, but it's very understandable... you don't stir the pot if you don't have to.

Now Metal Gear Rising I haven't played for a few days but the last time I did I got up to that Monsoon boss guy and sweet jesus that cinematic before the fight was dope. The fight itself.... not so much. I got wrecked even on easy. I'll be playing this again soon.

Yeah. Monsoon is a sonofabitch and basically a parry fight from what I remember. Took me quite a few tries (on hard though).

I made it up to like the 5th chapter without parrying on hard lol

damn. Bravo.

Tizoc

The start of a new year means the start of the patient awaiting of the Summer Sale
TNtxkdB.jpg

Non of you will like, think it'll suck, and it won't have any noteworthy price errors

Videospel

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294020/

this is what are you looking for, unfortunately I couldn't win auction for it and haven't played it yet, I doubt is half as fun as Recettear, but it interests me too. So, if you'll choose to play it, please post your impressions.

edited: I decided expand some on this post. If you are looking for economic sims, there are a lot of those, there are trade games too, the managing shop (or shops) games aren't that common, if not to say rare and those I've played are simpler than Recettear.
Looks pretty good, downloading the demo now.

The Guild II is pretty rad. You start of as an entepreneur with your choosen stats and traits and can start by buying some unoccupied business in a medieval town. You can hire and train employes, upgrade your assets, buy new businesses, blow up your business rivals, go in politics, rob people, trade, marry, die and give birth to your children who takeover business when you die.
Its an amazing game.
I actually have the full Guild collection from a Humble Bundle, I guess I should check it out!

JaseC

The start of a new year means the start of the patient awaiting of the Summer Sale
TNtxkdB.jpg

Non of you will like, think it'll suck, and it won't have any noteworthy price errors

If nothing else, there's undoubtedly going to be a greater degree of participation than we saw during the Autumn/Winter Sales as it's the first big sale of the year and puts an end to a 6-7 month break.

FloatOn

TNtxkdB.jpg

start of the new year for me means maybe, just maybe we'll have hotline 2 in the next couple of months.

Alavard

I finished up Valiant Hearts last night, which is my first completed game of 2015.

Excellent, excellent game that told a beautiful story. I made it right up until the end before the feels got to me.

dani_dc

Hmm, all I want from the AGDQ bundle is Volgarr, and I'm not really sure on that I think...

It's not as if the game will get much cheaper than this.

The game itself is fairly good, though it can be unforgiving. Controls really well (you might need to remap the button on the gamepad though) and it doesn't has many cheap deaths, for the most part is all depends on the player.

Not a game I would recommend for those not looking for a challenge.

Both PC and tablet, but I should stop now, finals are near.

It can get you in its claws.

Digital card games rarely capture the magic of real ones, to me. Hearthstone is the exception. The game succeeds in two places for me. Its depth despite its relative simplicity, and the execution of the multiplayer. Restricting the chat and making you essentially just a name cuts out all of that "lol newb" shit that turns people off.

Play the game. Win or lose. Next one. My only complaint was that I was pretty successful early on, so I found myself in a higher bracket where the lack of a robust deck can be felt. It's not impossible on a starter deck, but I was living or dying on the next draw. It became decidedly less fun.

fenners

I ain't gonna play these.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

CubeZ -- MB-BCD7BA2B92E927B7 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 7 entrants total.
Space Salvager -- MB-2CA76AF9A953ED3D - Taken by titch. 3 entrants total.

t1420642107z1.png

Grief.exe

Recettear is such a unique game, that is why it is constantly recommended, can't really fine that particular gameplay anywhere else.

So my laptop's resolution is 3200x1800. Which is fine most of the time, but in some games everything is just too small. For example, I'm starting Wasteland 2 right now (with hexcells on the side) and the text is way too small, even with the settings for text turned up. It's effectively unplayable due to my eyes.

So... 3 questions.

1) What resolution do people recommend I switch to?
2) Should I switch resolution in game, or before I boot games? Is there such thing as a 'resolution manager' type app that just deals with this for me?
3) I usually play in windowed mode so I can switch out easy; in my limited testing with games, that means when I tab out I'm still in another resolution and everything's all messed up. Is there a general solution to this? Again, a way to make my computer know to only use that resolution in specific games, but to switch to native for anything else without me intervening?.

One of the big problems with PC gaming is UI scaling isn't decoupled from resolution. Especially as we move into 4K territory, we will have problems with poorly scaling UIs.

dex3108

I must be exception to the rule because i have Hearthstone on PC and on my tablet but i am playing it rarely. I still think that Hearthstone is P2W and i don't like that. :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
One of the big problems with PC gaming is UI scaling isn't decoupled from resolution. Especially as we move into 4K territory, we will have problems with poorly scaling UIs.

Actually most recent console ports I've played have been quite good about it. Call of Duty's, Dark Souls, Ass Creed's, Evil Within, Far Cry, etc. all have their huds set to screen percentage rather than assets hard coded at a specific resolution. Funny how PC exclusives tend to fail in that category more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom