• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crosspost since there was lots of Witcher talk here when I brought it up before:

So I got the game to load somehow (the original Witcher) - don't know what changed besides a Steam update.

The intro cutscene would've cooler if it didn't suffer from some of the most horrendous screen tearing I've ever seen.

Apparently there's a VSYNC mod? Dunno how it'll be when I get into the actual game. And what's the best camera perspective? There's over-the-shoulder and 2 kinds of isometric. I feel like they'd play very differently.

Vysnc? And best camera perspective?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Crosspost since there was lots of Witcher talk here when I brought it up before:

Vysnc? And best camera perspective?

Use the camera that you feel most comfortable with. I switched between them depending on if I was traveling or in a difficult fight.

Vsync can be forced with D3DOverrider if you have an ATI card*. If you have a Nvidia card the Nvidia control panel should allow you to manually force it without downloading another program.

*ATI may have patched in support for manual Vsync.

I've only heard of the game from this video in the Leo Takes a Look series. Looked interesting, if a bit generic. Funny video, though.

It gained a large amount of press due to early builds being posted on reddit around the time that the SimCity disaster was the hot topic in gaming. The game is impressive, especially for one made by a single person, but others have posted some irritation with the difficulty curve.

Jawmuncher

Happy Birthday, Jawmuncher! Hope you had a great one, and you're only 24 which makes me feel very old.

And welcome back Shadownet and Ozium. :)

Looking forward to REmake, and maybe GTAV(?) this month. The latter series is always better with some mods, so maybe I will wait a bit.

Thanks.
At least REmake is a sure thing. With how quiet they have been I think GTAV probably slipped back a bit more than likely.

-----------------------

Seems I need a new Micro USB cord. Thing is just acting wonky (Using the one from my PS4 since I don't have a android phone). Glad I can just go to the store tomorrow and get one and they're not proprietary.

Also did the Prolouge of Naruto Full Burst 3. Really love the way it looks and the 30FPS lock doesn't bother me at all.
Was sucking a bit since the game just throws you in but I picked it up pretty quick. Also played the first level of Lego Marvel.
Have only played the very first Star Wars Lego game so Marvel was fun for the time I spent with it. Love all the characters just from the get go shown.
All of my quick impressions I have been posting are gifts I have received from the holidays and my Bday. I love them all and they will all be moved to the front of what I play next like I do all gifts.
Though I do have to beat Dark Souls 2 before I can start that. Since I am very close to the end there and don't want to take a extended break from it.

maty

Finished Thomas Was Alone and I'm severely underwhelmed. Any difficult/somewhat challenging puzzle games SteamGAF recommends? Already have the Hexcells bundle.

Some good puzzle games I enjoyed are:

FEZ
Escape Goat 1/2
Ittle Dew
LYNE
Strata
Tetrobot & co
The Swapper
The Room
The Bridge
Toki Tori 1/2+

While not very difficult, some provided a nice challenge.

Ayumi

The OSX Steam client's rendering engine is a joke, and it's incomprehensible that they've released it like this.
Love how you knew I was on OX S based on that post. I guess that says something about Steam.. I'm about to order an external hard drive to do a system backup to and also install Windows/set up BootCamp. Will be nice accessing the rest of my Steam library for once. That's where most of my backlog is anyway.

Nabs

Seems I need a new Micro USB cord. Thing is just acting wonky (Using the one from my PS4 since I don't have a android phone). Glad I can just go to the store tomorrow and get one and they're not proprietary.

I'm just thankful Monoprice has a lifetime warranty on cables. I had to have mine replaced, and I suspect it'll happen again soon.

Man, I just found a hidden gem on Steam. A RO-like mmorpg, Royal Quest from the maker of King's Bounty series. It really feels like RO, more than the fail RO2. It's a f2p game so it's undoubtedly p2w, but I don't really mind. I'll just have some fun with it and burn hours of playtime until I got bored or can't really compete anymore due to the p2w cash shop. I can't really hold my RO nostalgia down after seeing this, as Tree of Savior is still far away on the horizon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It looks like Nosgoth is in the process of leaving Early Access; all of the founder packs have been yanked.

Mokoi

Banned
What I voted for, and in all red so it catches everyone's attention. Spoiler tags are for fools.
Game 5 (1 point) : Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet
Game 4 (2 points) : Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
Game 3 (3 points) : Valkryia Chronicles
Game 2 (4 points) : Dark souls 2 (B team lol)
Game 1 (5 points) : Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

MGR was just a great game, and executing perfect parries was just so satisfying. Really the most fun I had playing a game in a long time. Soundtrack was damm stellar, and how the music was mixed ( I guess that's what you would call it) during boss fights was amazing. Only buffoons would hate that sweet soundtrack. There were a lot of great games released last year, so coming up with my picks was mad hard. Nahh it was actually easy to pick.

Jawmuncher

What I voted for, and in all red so it catches everyone's attention. Spoiler tags are for fools.

MGR was just a great game, and executing perfect parries was just so satisfying. Really the most fun I had playing a game in a long time. Soundtrack was damm stellar, and how the music was mixed ( I guess that's what you would call it) during boss fights was amazing. Only buffoons would hate that sweet soundtrack. There were a lot of great games released last year, so coming up with my picks was mad hard. Nahh it was actually easy to pick.

Thank goodness Planetarian made it in after all that.
I cut VC from my list just because gameplay wise I didn't enjoy it as much as VC2. Felt I had to cheese some parts just to do them. MGR having had played it on consoles twice before the PC release just wasn't doing much for me by 2014. It might have made the top 5 for me had I only played it this year. Which surprisingly seems like a lot of gaffers indeed did.

Ozium

please don't abuse the highlight tag, it should be reserved for the glory of DRAGON THE GAME only.

also why has no one voted for hatoful boyfriend?

Shadownet

Banned
Game 5 (1 point) : Divinity: Original Sin
Game 4 (2 points) : Endless Legend
Game 3 (3 points) : Wolfenstein The New Order
Game 2 (4 points) : Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Game 1 (5 points) : The Wolf Among Us

that's mine. Yeah typical I know.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

CubeZ -- MB-EAF614E08A18A932 - Taken by rostocker
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-E8CA0C30646355FE - Taken by neotokyo360

CubeZ has 84% positive ratings

Sweet Lily Dreams is an RPG maker game with 57% positive ratings

Grief.exe

Just finished Year Walk, thanks to arts&crafts for the giveaway copy!

It's a small, tightly focused adventure game that only took about 60 minutes, but man, was it engrossing. Filled with Swedish folklore & Pagan imagery, with a strong collective vision, and only one puzzle that sent me to a cheat sheet :)

I utterly loved it for the story it told, with the haunted atmosphere throughout, and staying short & focused. Really worth a play.

I'm always trying to hype up Year Walk around here. I feel like this is one of those hidden gems that constantly gets passed over.

Unique narrative, excellent art style, and no fat. I enjoyed this game for what it is.

I'm getting better, but I've run over a few cords with my office chair. Worst was the first day I had my 3DS XL I ran over the proprietary charger, I bent the pins back into place but it was a close one.

Knurek

Nope, I've been on a P&C adventure binge.
Finished the Blackwell Quintet, now going through the Broken Sword Trilogy with addenda =p

I really hope you mean Broken Sword 1, Broken Sword 2 and the fan-made Broken Sword 2.5?
Sleeping Dragon and Angel of Death should not exist IMO.

Playing Phenomeno ATM, dear god, why doesn't Nitro+ allow their games on Steam?

Ryne

Man, I just found a hidden gem on Steam. A RO-like mmorpg, Royal Quest from the maker of King's Bounty series. It really feels like RO, more than the fail RO2. It's a f2p game so it's undoubtedly p2w, but I don't really mind. I'll just have some fun with it and burn hours of playtime until I got bored or can't really compete anymore due to the p2w cash shop. I can't really hold my RO nostalgia down after seeing this, as Tree of Savior is still far away on the horizon.

I love F2P games for some reason. I remember putting in hundreds of hours with Spiral Knights until I was caught duplicating items and banned.

I will give this a shot.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee -- MB-E756EC6F3D896077 - Taken by A Fish Aficionado
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-0489341EBEDC6E7B - Taken by dot

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just bought another copy of Crasher from eBay. Here's hoping I actually receive it this time.

Hooray.

crasherxgu54.jpg

chronomac

I finished Escape Goat tonight and really liked it, despite how dated it is in its presentation. It's a nice blend of puzzle and platformer. Not only do you need to figure out how to clear a room but you've also got to perform when it counts.

For people who have played both, is the sequel better? I regret not getting it during the sale when I bought the original.

Miguel81

Hey guys, probably going to play Planescape Torment for the first time. Any tips and non-spoilery advice for me..?

I envy you for you are in a for a grand adventure. It really gelled with me because of the more story-heavy adventure aspects, with lite CRPG combat. Dialogue is more important than weapons and magic in the game. Oh, and the fiendling is voiced by Sheena Easton.

I envy you for you are in a for a grand adventure. It really gelled with me because of the more story-heavy adventure aspects, with lite CRPG combat. Dialogue is more important than weapons and magic in the game. Oh, and the fiendling is voiced by Sheena Easton.

That's what really captivated me about it. I've been sitting on the D&D anthology since around summer when I grabbed it for 2.50 or $5 (can't remember) I've been craving something story heavy. So here I am~

How is that game? Could you give me a short impression? I know that zkylon would spend hours on that. So I assume it's very addicting at the very least.

It's very close to genius, it just came out maybe 3 months early probably to capitalise on Winter/Christmas sales and as a small developer I kind of don't blame them too much. Apart from the bugs the interface is very underdone. No tooltips, accessing the character sheet for your companions at base is a chore, everything to do with the interface is just harder than it should be.

There is an awful lot of good though. A completely unique leveling scheme where your character improves, gains skill points, by the amount and type of loot you bring back. Probably 30+ unique companions each with unique personalities and skills. Criminals, drug addicts, love struck rescuees, one who I think might eat people, an impossibly arrogant nerd who screams Muad'dib when he attacks, a PTA "warrior", someone who needs to be taught english, someone who has the best skills in the game but flat out refuses to help out and wants more rations. Heaps of weapons and armor all with unique and multiple attacks. A very decent SRPG battle system.

The game just needed a few more months cooking and all/most of the controversy would have been avoided.

maty

I finished Escape Goat tonight and really liked it, despite how dated it is in its presentation. It's a nice blend of puzzle and platformer. Not only do you need to figure out how to clear a room but you've also got to perform when it counts.

For people who have played both, is the sequel better? I regret not getting it during the sale when I bought the original.

The sequel is very good, if you liked the 1st you'll surely like the 2nd one. The difficulty level is around the same (not including the secret levels) but it's been a while since I last played them. You also get new powers.

If you want to test your skills you could also try the "all intensive purposes" levels in the 1st game but I warn you, they are very challenging. Plus they are more about platforming challenges than puzzle solving.

I see you didn't get the most achievements so you could give them a shot since they require beating some level in a different way.

chronomac

If you want to test your skills you could also try the "all intensive purposes" levels in the 1st game but I warn you, they are very challenging. Plus they are more about platforming challenges than puzzle solving.
I played the first level and then opted out after that. I might go back to it eventually but that was quite the leap to take.

maty

I played the first level and then opted out after that. I might go back to it eventually but that was quite the leap to take.

Tell me about it, it took me a lot of practice and patience to beat the whole thing. After 25 hours I finally did it. xD

Shadownet

Banned
It's very close to genius, it just came out maybe 3 months early probably to capitalise on Winter/Christmas sales and as a small developer I kind of don't blame them too much. Apart from the bugs the interface is very underdone. No tooltips, accessing the character sheet for your companions at base is a chore, everything to do with the interface is just harder than it should be.

There is an awful lot of good though. A completely unique leveling scheme where your character improves, gains skill points, by the amount and type of loot you bring back. Probably 30+ unique companions each with unique personalities and skills. Criminals, drug addicts, love struck rescuees, one who I think might be eat people, an impossibly arrogant nerd who screams Muad'dib when he attacks, a PTA "warrior", someone who needs to be taught english, someone who has the best skills in the game but flat out refuses to help out and wants more rations. Heaps of weapons and armor all with unique and multiple attacks. A very decent SRPG battle system.

The game just needed a few more months cooking and all/most of the controversy would have been avoided.

Sound like a lot of good stuff there but I'm guessing wait for a sale and a few more months till they polish it a bit?

DK2 is coming in today, can't wait to have a heart attack before work because of Alien Isolation <3

Where the hell do I turn the FPS on?
Steam settings in the "in-game" section. If you use a custom theme you'll have to update it before the option shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom