• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
qs02cKKh.jpg
Excited to play with it a bit. I'm hoping the 5 finger support is as comfy as people say (g500 is great, but my ring and pinky fingers often feel rather uncomfortable because of the outward bulge at the top right of the mouse).

Also yes. FFXIII has a LOT of backtracking. Gran Pulse is all about backtracking. If you do only the main story, then there's zero backtracking.

That stuff is completely optional, you don't have to do it if it bothers you.
You made it sound like the whole game was designed that way when it's actually the exact opposite.
Backtracking is a part of rpg design, of course designers have to be careful with how they design their quests and dungeons, but the process of doing quests and exploring dungeons will always involve it to some degree and that's not a bad thing.
Whenever you arrive at a new town or dungeon, spending some time there interacting with npcs and accomplishing different tasks is precisely what makes you feel part of that world and allows you to familiarize yourself with it.
That's what FFXIII's lifeless corridor got so spectacularly wrong.

Really need to get around to playing the Bioshock Infinite DLCs, but damn...dat file size.

You really should. I'm a massive Bioshock fan and episode 2 might just be the best thing to come out of the franchise.

hohoXD123

The thing in the image, I mean.

I haven't played the game, not really sure what it's meant to be spoiling, so seems fine.

That stuff is completely optional, you don't have to do it if it bothers you.
You made it sound like the whole game was designed that way when it's actually the exact opposite.
Backtracking is a part of rpg design, of course designers have to be careful with how they design their quests and dungeons, but the process of doing quests and exploring dungeons will always involve it to some degree and that's not a bad thing.
Whenever you arrive at a new town or dungeon, spending some time there interacting with npcs and accomplishing different tasks is precisely what makes you feel part of that world and allows you to familiarize yourself with it.
That's what FFXIII's lifeless corridor got so spectacularly wrong.

You really should. I'm a massive Bioshock fan and episode 2 might just be the best thing to come out of the franchise.

B..but 42 GB! Yeah, I'll have to play it eventually, heard good things, forgotten most of the main story though.

Yes, Gran Pulse is optional, of course. But if you skip it, you skip a good amount of the game. Otherwise in FFXIII-2 backtracking is forced by the story. Luckily is not too heavy, and each task can be achieved quickly (usually).

Using a guide helps a lot. I mean, there's one location, a tower in which you need to rotate some rooms...well, to fully complete it you need an item you retrieve in the alternate version of it. If you don't know before, you'll waste a good chunk of time on finding something is not there.

I did all the quests because I liked the battle system and they forced me to use it in ways the main story never did, for me it was the best part of the game.
What makes the backtracking in XIII-2 more apparent is the fact that you visit different versions of the same locations.

Tellaerin

Hmmm so people remove you from steam for no reason and out of the blue decide to add you back expecting you to just accept em back?

Bruh

At least people add you in the first place. :p

In more general news, I know I'm seriously LTTP on this one, but Transistor is ridiculously awesome. It's incredible the way everything comes together - art, music, narration - to create this amazing cyber-noir atmosphere. And while I know some folks here disagree with me, I think the gameplay's pretty sweet, too.

What? There's a Pay-It-Forward auction at the moment? Don't judge me!

Pay-It-Forwards are awesome.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-F8BDCDDDBE569743 - Taken by HP_Wuvcraft

Arthea

Thinking of dropping Breath of Fire... Game is just so slow, with random fights (boring random fights to boot) literally after two, three steps.

Maybe I should stick to newer JRPGs - they don't seem to waste your time as much as the old Dragon Quest clones.

I hear Breath of Fire 2 is better, anyone played that?

I replayed both first and second BoF about five years ago or so and even I thought that BoF feels just an old game and that's it. While BoF2 is another beast entirely! It even left stronger impression on me than fist time around, it is much better game than first one, not even comparable, then again I had discussion about it on gaf long ago and I remember some people liking first game better, not that I can understand that, but I thought I'll mention. As you already don't like it, try second one, it's great!

Also if you call BoF DQ clones... I think you need to replay first DQs to remember how they play and understand how hilariously wrong you are (><)

OTOH BoF2 has horrible translation, probably the worst ever and I remember you being really picky about that, so consider yourself warned.

Also will we live to see BoF4 on steam some day... I probably even would replay that.

It's strange you decided to drop it, tho, seeing as it is a short game and you are in for another record on played games this year!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Lain, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Carpe Fulgur Collection -- MB-B2DCF3DFDC7B4DDE - Taken by bigzgod. 26 entrants total.

t1420586951z1.png

autoduelist

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Tropico 3 -- MB-F69F98CBEA35EFD5 - Taken by RedFyn

And here we go.

Phawx

Anyone heard of this before?

Just saw in my keys spreadsheet that I have a key for it but I don't know anything about it, hah!

I did an LP of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6BBKTNSZ0&index=20&list=PLdC3pP79J-A9vVBkItqiJkURqd3aUW2Lv

It's not quite tetris. The best I can explain is that it's like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time.

You need to drop the correct pieces of the castle in the right spot and also defend your castle with the right defense mechanism.

It's unique and the later levels hurt my brain.

Want in on that Carpe Fulgur :3
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (freshVeggie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Weird Worlds -- MB-556462680B35C468 - Taken by Vuze. 1 entrants total.
Castle -- MB-0C652185C0A6EF64 - Taken by bobnowhere. 3 entrants total.
Epigenesis -- MB-450487FCC16A33D0
Phoenix Force -- MB-4D1C0BF78B1B0C54 - Taken by chronomac. 3 entrants total.
Dark Raid -- MB-D292A5D23B554686 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.

t1420584923z1.png
I did an LP of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6BBKTNSZ0&index=20&list=PLdC3pP79J-A9vVBkItqiJkURqd3aUW2Lv

It's not quite tetris. The best I can explain is that it's like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time.

You need to drop the correct pieces of the castle in the right spot and also defend your castle with the right defense mechanism.

It's unique and the later levels hurt my brain.
How fitting :)

Ops, forgot Multientry :/

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kraven Manor -- MB-2E01DBC77C4AE825
Angels of Fasaria -- MB-38550A7C969DEF30 - Taken by C4rter. 2 entrants total.
Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle -- MB-706AE6E8E9964EDC - Taken by ExoSoul. 3 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-C8740E774453B017 - Taken by gngf123. 7 entrants total.
Worms Pinball -- MB-0105294D5D5BD3A0
Worms -- MB-FC62FF0FCC77877B - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Krater Plus Krater - Dr. Cerebro Pack Plus Soundtrack -- MB-3450AC6DC3E8320B - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Crunch Time! -- MB-894B7004F4505047
KAMUI -- MB-5C1D727CC939A06F - Taken by Water. 6 entrants total.
Worms Blast -- MB-6E81D5FB15EC2DDC

t1420585087z1.png

tumblr_ngc0zi9YM41ryw9fko2_500.gif

HBP

I just got a Windows 8.1 tablet, anyone have any recommendations on some older or less intensive games I should check out? So far I think I am going to get Fez and Year Walk.

Kiru

Nothing wrong. They probably stood up to sing a song together.
Not really...

Kuroyume with dem crazy gifs again.
I just got a Windows 8.1 tablet, anyone have any recommendations on some older or less intensive games I should check out? So far I think I am going to get Fez and Year Walk.
You could try Steam In Home Streaming ? Or check this thread out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=962212

Fun times for all!

(It's Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle, don't know why the rest of the game's title didn't show up)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Frecklestein:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Frecklestein, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Slaughtering Grounds -- MB-C2303A883DDCDB3D - Taken by sensoft04. 2 entrants total.
Bionic Heart 2 -- MB-E1982588C9947521 - Taken by derExperte. 10 entrants total.
Dysan the Shapeshifter -- MB-8D06DD6C50C41E04
Nuclear Throne -- MB-35998F1503B826C6 - Taken by trailmix16. 46 entrants total.
Space Savager -- MB-7D0B81ADD9F78D76 - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-95D020309FBCD8CC - Taken by woo and indeed hoo. 5 entrants total.
Claustrophobia -- MB-2835F3F1024492CA - Taken by billmcdougal. 6 entrants total.
NiGHTS into Dreams -- MB-A059A60962EEE63F - Taken by Bayonetta. 9 entrants total.
Millie -- MB-060639DE49A3722A - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.

t1420595466z1.png

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6857883-Touch-friendly-games/

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Touch-Friendly/

That should get you started :)

but there are lots of other older/not so resource heavy games that should run well

Some great games with native touch support are Civilization V, Hearthstone and the first Defense Grid for example.

And don't forgot to test Steam In Home Streaming

And think of all the Hidden Object games you can play with that thing :D

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I just love how some people have already 5 games beaten for the 52games/year challange.

Only 4 here, grumble, grumble

Well, it still puts you above me with exactly 0 games completed. Almost done with Darksiders though, and then onto Prime World: Defenders. Only half a year late on the latter one since I got it so gratuitously as a gift from Jshackles, but Batman and Football Manager both kept me away from it in 2014.
So basically I have to finish it before Arkham Knight and the Premier Leagues go off-season

eh if a game only lasts an hour or so fine... it's a game. I don't think "additional content" should be counted as a game, it's like counting the addendum of a book as its own novel, IMO.. same w/ saying 5 chapters of an episodic game isn't just all the same game.. Do people count each individual chapter in a book as a separate book?

to each his own tho like Knurek said

Say a person completed Back To The Future episode 1 and 2, but never touched the others. If to them those two episodes had a full and self contained story for however long it lasted, and they got more than enough gameplay (perhaps complete trophy list), is it any less complete than watching just the first Back To The Future movie and considering that to be just one complete movie despite the cliff hanger at the end of it in terms of what they got out of it? If it's enough for them and episodes 3-5 never are never touched, it wouldn't lose that feeling to them. A complete experience already feels complete, more would just be "more complete".

To each their own as stated, and to me that's fascinating the differences. When someone can feel fulfilled or walk away and consider it enough, if they need to finish and see everything or perhaps walk away early, if they can be satisfied only playing a single or specific part of a title (online games especially), if DLC has to be self-contained and a unique experience to count separately or is it all the same (Ballard of Gay Tony, Undead Nightmare, Pigsy's Perfect 10, etc), does the Steam +1 carry over in the view of separation of games (Back to the Future episodes, Sonic 4 episodes, etc), do short little time wasters count to a person or not, and so forth.
It can even go the other way from the example above, someone last year played all of Final Fantasy XIII series and considered it as "one game" because they wanted the entire story of lightning, much in the same way others have watched all of Lord Of The Rings trilogy in one go as "one gigantic film".

Part of the beauty of "How do I know when I completed a game? That's up to you" in the challenge, we get to discover how others may view things and share insight to the rest of us. Part of the reason I'm doing it as well this year, when will I feel a game is complete? I never had to answer that before, and now I do while I also discover how others see it by what they put down.

Monooboe

Wasteland 2 feels kind of frustratingly lowbudget, for example didn't like Neverwinter Night 2 look better than it?o_O

I'm at a point where I'm not sure why I enjoy it but I still do.

Mokoi

Banned
Excited to play with it a bit. I'm hoping the 5 finger support is as comfy as people say (g500 is great, but my ring and pinky fingers often feel rather uncomfortable because of the outward bulge at the top right of the mouse).
Ahh shit that's the mouse I had on my radar a while back. I couldn't remember it, so just ended up purchasing a Corsair Raptor M45. I don't really like it because the mouse click isn't as snappy as I want it to be. I'm totally going to order this mouse real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom