• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Did we slide into Fake Pic February and I didn't notice?
My avatar is *actually* me, if that's what you mean -- it is Real Pic January after all... and I realized I had a pic from awhile back that was very similar to my Ruvik avatar... so I hopped in on the "fun".

Also: Hahahaha @ AC2 being a "major upgrade". I've 'platinumed' that game twice (fuck my OCD tendencies and the transition to trophies from achievements... when I switched gears and my friend had it and nothing interesting had been coming out, I went through it again just for another platinum...). I'm with JaseC on this -- AC1 is where it's at.
Oh yeah I didn't know it was Real Pic January. I guess I gotta find something. Either way, nice beard man. I like it.

Also you're weird, you and JaseC. I think most people agreed that AC 2 is better than 1. But 1 was the stepping stone. Next you'll be telling me that the Hobbit films were better than the original trilogy.

Woah. You guys, corrosivefrost is a frickin saint I tell ya!

That guy is scarily nice :)

Thank you man.

frost is nice? He is never nice to me.
Only when we conversate.

Edit: Stallion Free is Tom Brady. It all make sense now.

I loved this game:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gunpoint -- MB-31200972CAC93DD0 - Taken by thereisnoif. 8 entrants total.

t1420600446z1.png

Sch1sm

Oh yeah I didn't know it was Real Pic January. I guess I gotta find something. Either way, nice beard man. I like it.

Also you're weird, you and JaseC. I think most people agreed that AC 2 is better than 1. But 1 was the stepping stone. Next you'll be telling me that the Hobbit films were better than the original trilogy.

frost is nice? He is never nice to me.
Only when we conversate.

Edit: Stallion Free is Tom Brady. It all make sense now.

The Twin Towers was best. But I preferred AC 1, too, despite all the "improvements" that came with AC2 based on feedback from players. I went through AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations and have still yet to buy a crossbow, for one, haha. But I still preferred Altair. Not even the Masyaf keys was enough for me to love any of the later instalments more.
:c

Omega

Banned
Just gonna pop my head in here and say that yes, the first Assassin's game is the superior one.
the only decent one, and the only one worth playing actually

Deitus

AC2 is a more polished game, and it is a bit more fun by virtue of having more variety of gameplay in it.

But AC1 was a far more interesting game. There were a lot of underdeveloped ideas in that game that simply got thrown out the window with AC2. Plus, while the combat wasn't super challenging, there were actually times when it made sense to run/hide from guards, rather than effortlessly murdering everything in your way. It was a rough game for sure, and was often repetitive, but there's a lot that could have been improved in a sequel if they didn't choose to go a completely different direction.

I don't know. With PC becoming more and more popular even among Pubs who never released stuff on it, I can't imagine Rockstar still treating PC users as second-class citizens.

But maybe it's just nice thinking on my part.

GTA V was released over a year ago on last gen consoles, and months ago on current gen consoles. They have already been treating PC users as second class citizens.

basically

I have some disappointing news for you...

Yeah... we're not getting GTAV at the end of the month -- we don't even know what's up with the DRM other than it's *NOT* Steamworks. GMG has it for preorder and all... but again, I'm not buying there if it doesn't redeem on Steam. Rockstar, feel free to ask Ubisoft how that works.

The Twin Towers was best. But I preferred AC 1, too, despite all the "improvements" that came with AC2 based on feedback from players. I went through AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations and have still yet to buy a crossbow, for one, haha. But I still preferred Altair. Not even the Masyaf keys was enough for me to love any of the later instalments more.
:c

I like the LotR movies better than what I've seen of The Hobbit... and while I had some problems with the LotR movies (Peter Jackson's odd choices of what to include in TTT vs RotK) but vastly prefer the story in the LotR trilogy (not to mention my annoyance with PJ making 3 films out of a short book). TTT was a great movie though... I love them all.

--

As far as Assassin's Creed goes, my problem with AC2 is it's basically GTA:Renaissance without cars. It plays more like a typical sandbox GTA quest-athon instead of playing like an Assassin Simulator. Even with it's *stupid* intel missions (help me collect some flags, fast, assassin, and I will tell you something about your target!), the whole game is crafted to feel like you're an assassin doing work and getting your target and killing them. AC2 somehow becomes more story focused on Ezio and while some of the main story concepts were still awesome, the general feel of the game... just most of it felt like fluff. I did like the Assassin tombs and the hidden pieces of Eden or whatever tho.

This is partly the reason I'm so interested in ACU. The dedicated stealth mode and what seems to be a return to the "Hitman" style of "plan your assassination" but in historical periods instead of modern day... that's part of what I got into AC for... and after I got curious about what was happening with the present day story in the series and looked it up (not knowing if I'll ever feel like going back to the series at the Brotherhood/Revelations timeframe), I can't say I'm interested in that much now. I had such great ideas for what AC3 would show us after the ending of AC2. And then we were given ACB instead... and it's just kind of... eh... now.

MUnited83

For you.
AC 1 in a way had the best combat. Doing counters with the regular sword didn't kill the enemies right away, and if you did counters with the hidden blade with would be a guaranteed kill but it required fairly precise timing.

GTA V was released over a year ago on last gen consoles, and months ago on current gen consoles. They have already been treating PC users as second class citizens.
Yeah, that left a bitter taste in my mouth but I still hold out to that maybe R* doesn't want to make another GTA4 performance-debacle and pushed its PC release to the Next-Gen port and then alloted even more weeks for best optimization efforts?

I am reaching, I know. But hey, it's the good thoughts that keep us going.

For any movie-nerds out there. Ant-Man got its first real teaser released a couple minutes ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8
Never would have believed Paul Rudd to play a superhero, hah. But he didn't look that bad I have to say.

AC 1 in a way had the best combat. Doing counters with the regular sword didn't kill the enemies right away, and if you did counters with the hidden blade with would be a guaranteed kill but it required fairly precise timing.

This is true -- and the risk reward was a big factor.
That final battle was annoying... until I got mad and decided I wanted to try to counter the final boss. And the fact that I did (and that you could) and it was a 1 shot? That was amazing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just gonna pop my head in here and say that yes, the first Assassin's game is the superior one.
the only decent one, and the only one worth playing actually

AC1 is literally the worst game in the series. Other than the interesting choice of location, it's a bland soul-less experience. Ezio was interesting at least. And Connor actually has a compelling background. Altair matched only by Edward another boring as fuck protag.

AC1's mission design was horrible, go to contacts, kill target, report back, copy and paste that several times. Liberating citizens also led to nowhere.

AC2 is far superior because you don't have to put up with this bullshit.

Haha. Seems like one of those patented "Git Gud" lessons. :p

AC1 is literally the worst game in the series. Other than the interesting choice of location, it's a bland soul-less experience. Ezio was interesting at least. And Connor actually has a compelling background. Altair matched only by Edward another boring as fuck protag.

Opinions, man.

autoduelist

AC1's mission design was horrible, go to contacts, kill target, report back, copy and paste that several times. Liberating citizens also led to nowhere.

It was clearly released unfinished. Too many 'side' type things had no real purpose. They made up for it in the sequel, then later ones had far too much to do.

Sch1sm

I feel like they all do that. Eavesdrop/blend, pickpocket/steal, follow y target because he's related to x in whatever way
(Like when the janisarries were being shady and you went to find out where the weapons were, etc).
They just dropped the middle man in that aspect, but you're always talking to someone after you've just assassinated a target in these games. Rinse, repeat x 100.

Miguel81

I'm also partial to the original AC. The locales, the air of mystery, and the Assassin missions were enjoyed by myself. It was also breathtakingly beautiful at the time of release, and still looks very good to this day.

That only encouraged me to 100% the shit out of that game.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I loved AC1. I 100% the game myself. But it still sucked compared to the vastly improved AC2.

Haha. Seems like one of those patented "Git Gud" lessons. :p

Git Gud™ = Intentional (but balanced) difficulty. This was just difficult because whoever was responsible for building that part of the game is a moron. Pretty sure you could ask anybody who played AC1 what the worst part of the game was, and they'd all say "that one mission in the docks."

Or maybe I do just suck.

Idk. It's nice that not every Assassin has every ability I think.
In real life not everyone can swim as well, right? lol

If only the Templars had known of his inability to cope with water. They could have just splashed him and gotten away with everything.

I feel like they all do that. Eavesdrop/blend, pickpocket/steal, follow y target because he's related to x in whatever way (
Like when the janisarries were being shady and you went to find out where the weapons were, etc). They just dropped the middle man in that aspect, but you're always talking to someone after you've just assassinated a target in these games. Rinse, repeat x 100.
I know, Ubisoft is not big on innovations, but non of those recycled stuff was as blatant as the first game. At least the post-assassination confessions are better than AC3's, which was just endless repeats of "What I'm doing is right and you screwed it up" or "you and I are not so different".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Sch1sm

I know, Ubisoft is not big on innovations, but non of those recycled stuff was as blatant as the first game. At least the post-assassination confessions are better than AC3's, which was just endless repeats of "What I'm doing is right and you screwed it up" or "you and I are not so different".

That failed spoiler tag. And the entire Ezio series was just, "you suck, requiescat in pace." Maybe one day they'll make the perfect assassin game.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I loved AC1. I 100% the game myself. But it still sucked compared to the vastly improved AC2.

Git Gud™ = Intentional (but balanced) difficulty. This was just difficult because whoever was responsible for building that part of the game is a moron. Pretty sure you could ask anybody who played AC1 what the worst part of the game was, and they'd all say "that one mission in the docks."

Or maybe I do just suck.

If only the Templars had known of his inability to cope with water. They could have just splashed him and gotten away with everything.

I don't agree, obviously. 2 was a completely different game in terms of gameplay. Sure it had a similar combat engine and stuff... but the quest structure and all that stuff... so different. Of the 3 games I played, I thought AC2 was the worst AC game (AC, AC2, AC3:L). Now don't get me wrong... if it was a terrible game, I wouldn't have completed it 100% twice (I didn't 100% AC since I had no "platinum" incentive and the flags were just... so fucking annoying.).

Back to The Clicker Witcher.

I'm trying not to be too hard on the game, but I'll post further impressions here as I go through.

I don't like your tone, sir.
The Witcher is phenomenal and there was little clicking involved for me. :p

Giving Altair an ounce of culture wouldn't have hurt.

I can agree with this, but I think if you kind of "muslim him up" or something, the developers would be worried (and maybe rightfully so) about sales within their target demographic. 6 years post 9/11, the US wasn't exactly embracing of middle eastern culture (and I think a lot of folks may still play the "all muslims must be terrorists" bullshit).

Tektonic

pfft. free key giveaway(S), for someones plus 1

i've already got it, but no need for modbot to be involved.

dead bits 7ACE4-56F7D-YLF7D
4PM - ALHZL-Q6IKC-M6M5A
THE MAKER'S EDEN AIMDZ-Z7LZ7-XMMFH

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Follow up from yesterday about just getting a ps3: Really enjoying Infamous. Surfing around on the train tracks is a blast and I've almost liberated the entire first island. I'll definitely be replaying it for the evil route after I finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom