• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
MORNING EVERYONE!!! :D no work today, woop! Time to play Dragon Age 2. A lot of people always talk shit about it but honestly, i kinda like it. has its flaws and origins is better but still, its fun. hate the enemies that just teleport into the fight tho, that gets annoying as hell, drags on the fights.

DocSeuss

I think the problem is that there are more people in the thread interested in anime that people that aren't, so the discussion tends to go more towards anime games.

Are you saying that the majority of us should stop discussing what we are interested in so that you can feel comfortable? sorry but no, nobody is stopping you from discussing what you are interested in as long as it's mostly steam or game related, anime and VN games are a reality on steam, and there are more and more coming to steam, so the anime discussion will probably stay for a long time.

Yeah, I've seen this defense before. You realize it wasn't always that way, right? Last place I was at, the anime talk actually got so loud and so off-putting, most people left. Numbers dropped hugely. Content went from, oh, an average of a few thousand hits per piece to 20-150.

Pschhh... Bro.. I love you and all but its seinen.. Just to let you know in case you write an article on it next time and the spellcheck is not on your side, just know I was.

Anyway, I understand what you mean completely, I just dislike the people who are not willing to give an anime/game a try because "oh it's that anime bs, just probably some tentacle rape weird stuff."

Or even worst not trying to watch Avatar or Legend of Korra because it is "weird anime style, so it much be like the rest of the weird Japanese stuff."

Edit: yes sometimes SteamGAF does get into the anime waifu stuff and it does get uncomfortable for some people. Like when the Hunnie Pop news came out, etc. I think I might have contributed to an anime waifu talk once or twice. But mostly I guess if you're really uncomfortable with something like that, I guess I would just ignore it to be honest.

I mean you can try asking people to stop. But talking about anime waifu is like so low on my list of things that make me uncomfortable in a forum. For example I don't like Visual Novel nor do I care about it. But if I see like wall of posts on it. I would just skip it or skim through it.. Mostly ignoring it cause its not what I'm into but if people wanna talk about it, its cool.

Braindead on the typo there. Tired as balls. 9 AM, haven't slept.

Your edit made it clearer, but I still don't think that the situation is that severe. I think the last time was weeks ago when I asked people to post a waifu picture for a giveaway. People rightfully complained and I didn't make a giveaway with this condition nor will I do it in the future. Other than that I can't remember a real waifu discussion. The next best thing is the occasional red head and Saorise appreciation, both of which aren't limited to anime.

In my opinion the majority of times we talk in here about anime the topic is closely related to actual steam games. We mostly get into meta territory when people start complain. Do you see me complain about topics I don't like? I think I told people that talking about Hatred is not good, but that's because the mods explicitly stated that they don't want discussion about that.

I mean, everyone is free to participate at the topics they liked and not participate at topics they don't like. People talking about one thing doesn't mean that you can't talk about another thing. If your topic is interesting, people will react.

I don't normally talk about things I don't like to talk about. This one's just been bugging me for a while.

MORNING EVERYONE!!! :D no work today, woop! Time to play Dragon Age 2. A lot of people always talk shit about it but honestly, i kinda like it. has its flaws and origins is better but still, its fun. hate the enemies that just teleport into the fight tho, that gets annoying as hell, drags on the fights.

ANOTHER WAVE APPROACHES

ANOTHER WAVE APPROACHES

ANOTHER W--:mad:

Also the bad writing.

Also mad at myself for not ordering it on Steam before it disappeared.

Teeth

How far are you in? Because the map repeats are the most callous, cynical cost saving measure I've ever seen in a AAA game.

DA2 is by far the biggest disappointment I had in the last gen of gaming. I loved DAO.

Kiru

Ah I guess its too late to join now?

Sadly yes, but the guy said this: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/coronams#announcements/detail/257036553682478368
I've locked the group because i cannot give any more keys, those of you that have joined can still reserve keys but any members joining after this announcement can't. Nearly 4000 steam keys is a lot. however, if the game does make a lot of profit, ill open the group back up. i advise you all that don't make it to the group to say voted yes in the game comments in case we open the group back up. Thanks again!
Luke Japaridze
LucasGame
I feel bad that so many of you guys miss these free game offers so easily, these posts get lost after a few pages... :/

How far are you in? Because the map repeats are the most callous, cynical cost saving measure I've ever seen in a AAA game.

DA2 is by far the biggest disappointment I had in the last gen of gaming. I loved DAO.

Just finished act 1 last night. I was playing on hard cause the fights are really easy but the fights drag on as it is so i had to go back to normal. and lol yea the repeating maps are really annoying. yesterday i went to the same dungeon like 4 times.... within 3 hours... but as strange as it is, i still sort of like the game a bit. :p

edit: also question for those who played the latest: do elves look anorexic in the latest one or is that fixed? also can I play the game on a higher difficulty without having to worry about like 24 enemies joining the fight out of no where?

dani_dc

A Story about my uncle

I found this to be a pleasent experience. There aren't many first person platformers out there, and for good reason, they can be hard to pull off correctly. This game overcomes the usual issues of the genre by focusing mostly on the grappling mechanic which, while not the most physically accurate grappling simulation, allows for great degrees of freedom on how to approach certain sections of the game.

The level design was interesting and fair in general, though there were a few sections that left me thinking weren't playtested correctly (or at all).

The world had some interesting sections, though I wasn't a fan of the writing, which I found to be cringe worthy at times, or the narration. Thankfully not to the point where I'd say they detracted from the experience.

With a 2-3 hours runtime the game doesn't overstays its welcome.
I would definitively recommend it to anyone that enjoys platformers, in particular to those looking for a first person game within the genre.

PM me if you know a good, preferably legit, place to stream episodes Berserk. I'd like to check it out.
I'd honestly just recommend you read the manga, the original anime didn't age too well.
Do stick with it for a bit, I thought the start was rather weak, but when it picks up it really becomes it's own thing.

Teeth

Just finished act 1 last night. I was playing on hard cause the fights are really easy but the fights drag on as it is so i had to go back to normal. and lol yea the repeating maps are really annoying. yesterday i went to the same dungeon like 4 times.... within 3 hours... but as strange as it is, i still sort of like the game a bit. :p

Well, the story is the best in Act 2, so if you're liking it now, you'll probably continue to like it.

FloatOn

Anime-related shit in general in SteamGAF is somewhat overbearing and omnipresent and tends to skew to the kind of anime stylings/fan interests I actively dislike (eg the occasional waifu discussion). Not sure how to express that more clearly.

yeah, I agree with this but I guess my tolerance to shrug it off is a bit stronger.

I tend to ignore most of this thread more than what I would like :/

(at one point there was a greater variety of games discussed than VNs and anime related games in general)

Yeah, I've seen this defense before. You realize it wasn't always that way, right? Last place I was at, the anime talk actually got so loud and so off-putting, most people left. Numbers dropped hugely. Content went from, oh, an average of a few thousand hits per piece to 20-150.

You realize not every community is the same, right?

Look, this is a thread to talk about Steam and Steam games. People are talking about Steam games. Just because they're not the Steam games YOU happen to be interested in does not mean it is a problem. Like someone else said, bring up a topic you want to talk about and if there are other members that want to talk about it, they will. If not, sorry, you lose. Might I suggest starting a thread with the topic of your choice?

I'm sorry if you feel overwhelmed and outnumbered by the anime fans who enjoy a different aspect than you. I do too, as I've maybe liked 2 animes in my entire life. In times of the Great Anime Onslaught, I just lurk until something I'm interested pops up or I feel like adding something myself.

It's no defense, anime and VN games are a reality on steam and they are here to stay, so it's only natural they get discussed in the thread.

As long as the anime talk is related to the steam games I don't see a problem.

Nobody is limiting your speech, you can just ignore the anime games related talk if you are not interested in them and only partake in the stuff you are interested in, just as I ignore fighting games talk, and other gaffers ignore other stuff.

Anyway, I think this is all derailing the thread, so this is my last post about the subject.

You don't need to beat that red dragon (I don't think I ever have in my 4 play throughs). You can either bait him and run under him to the bonfire, or go beneath the bridge to the rat room.
Save yourself some headaches and move on, you don't get anything for beating him.
Also, if you haven't figured it out yet...keep talking to NPC til they repeat dialogue. Sometimes they don't give you their items into 3 conversations in.
Thanks
You do get a nice sword if
you cut his tail
that is pretty good for that moment of the game
No, it's nothing truly awful or anything.
The sword itself is great. Too great. It basically breaks the difficulty of the first quarter/third of the game. Enemies that would normally take two to three shots take one. Killing the first gargoyle before the second shows up becomes trivial. Basically, using the sword allows a new player starting out to run around slaying things without a care. That often trains them into bad habits they have to un-learn once they get to (around) Anor Londo. At that point, strengthening that sword is difficult, so other swords are better (but the new player never had to learn about hammering titanite into weapons) and the enemies take a lot of hits that they aren't used to fighting. Basically, they may think the game starts to get too hard, too cheap, or just plain bad because they never were forced to learn how to fight properly early on.
I recommended DS to a friend of mine and periodically checked in with him while he was playing to see how he was doing. He hated it at first (which didn't surprise me, so did I) but I urged him to continue on. Amazingly, he found the tail/arrow trick completely on his own. Once he got the Noob Sword, he was just wrecking shit left and right ("This is the first time this game actually feels right"). He didn't even know that most people had to fight two gargoyles at once because he killed the first one the first time before the second appeared. Slashed his way through the Depths and got bored. He never went back.
Some have theorized that the designers put that sword in as a crutch for new players. They can read up on it online or hear it from their friends and it makes the beginning of the game super easy. But it's a dead end. Like a lot of things in DS, it's a trick. A false gift. You'll eventually have to learn how to play correctly and you'll have to find a different weapon you like, which could be tough after so many hours of one-shotting goons. You'll have to learn how to dodge and weave and block and backstab, but now you'll have to learn how to do it against Silver Knights instead of Skellingtons. You'll also be cheating yourself out of the best part of Dark Souls. Some of the best encounters, bosses, mountains to climb, and scary situations to live through come in the beginning of the game.
There's plenty of time to massacre monsters later on. Use the early time to pick up skills with a long sword, a hand axe, a halberd, a zweihander, or a Uchigatana.
Dragon swords are for funning around in the back half.
:O I get a new sword after beating the dragon?
Yiu reasoning makes sense though. I was using a rapier and now changed to a battle axe. Bzt after killing two big knights and the boar got some materials to upgrade weapons.one gives +15 and the other +5 damage. I am seriously considering dumping it ALL on my rapier-type weapon. Stabby-stabby is so much fun.
I want to kindle the fire at the red dragon though...

Teeth

:O I get a new sword after beating the dragon?
Yiu reasoning makes sense though. I was using a rapier and now changed to a battle axe. Bzt after killing two big knights and the boar got some materials to upgrade weapons.one gives +15 and the other +5 damage. I am seriously considering dumping it ALL on my rapier-type weapon. Stabby-stabby is so much fun.
I want to kindle the fire at the red dragon though...

You only get the sword if you....hmmmm...beat him a certain way? You don't actually have to beat him to get the sword. Be advised that he has a ton of health for that early in the game, and he will one shot you with pretty much anything. There's a trick to beating him if you're stubborn and want to kill him (Dragons are weak to ________ in Souls games).

He's not a boss. He's more like a trap/obstacle.

Rapiers are decent weapons. They are all about stacking damage and critical hits; applying a resin to them and then getting multiple hits can stack tons of damage on slower enemies/bosses. Apart from that, they are backstab/riposte weapons. Their base damage is really low and you can't kick with one equipped (which means you can't knock away shields or push enemies off ledges), but backstabs gain extra damage compared to other weapons. On the other hand, rapiers can excel in PvP because you can stun lock players (enemies don't usually have the same weakness) and either stack damage quick or drain stamina.

So like everything in DS, lots of strengths and weaknesses to manage.

Yeah. Going through the game a 2nd time and I couldn't make it past about 40 minutes in.

Tizoc

So Topware just e-mailed me back with a code for Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire.
Didn't know there were multiple JA2 games lol.
From the looks of it, this one has positive reviews so if I like it enough I'll get any other JA2 games, but which of them are worth it?

Sini

I've come to the conclusion that I am going to have to start using the ignore function. I don't like to do that as it really fucks up the flow of a conversation in a thread. It's nothing personal though, I don't even know who the posters are since I skim past those posts as best I can and don't even look at their username. It's really getting on my nerves though and I've only been back for a few days after a 6+ month absence, partly due to crap like this. I would complain to a Mod but they seem to take a very laissez faire attitude to this thread especially now it's in Community. I know I'm not the only SteamGAFer who feels like this :/.
You know I feel the same about those people :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've come to the conclusion that I am going to have to start using the ignore function. I don't like to do that as it really fucks up the flow of a conversation in a thread. It's nothing personal though, I don't even know who the posters are since I skim past those posts as best I can and don't even look at their username. It's really getting on my nerves though and I've only been back for a few days after a 6+ month absence, partly due to crap like this. I would complain to a Mod but they seem to take a very laissez faire attitude to this thread especially now it's in Community. I know I'm not the only SteamGAFer who feels like this :/.

Just add all anime avatars to the block list. It's probably the most effective method.

Annubis

Nobody is limiting your speech, you can just ignore the anime games related talk if you are not interested in them and only partake in the stuff you are interested in, just as I ignore fighting games talk, and other gaffers ignore other stuff.

Yup, just like how I ignore all the Metal Gear shenanigans =P

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I wasn't going to get into the argument much, but I feel like I should mention this: have you ever heard someone, usually a girl, say that "this place feels like a boy's club"? That's basically what's starting to happen here in this thread, just with anime aesthetics/sensibilities. There's nothing wrong with that stuff in moderation, but when it happens often, you start to engender certain discussions and shut out others.

Is someone going to feel comfortable discussing nuanced gender topics when the audience they're speaking to just posts pictures of women and exclaim how hot their ass is? This is an extreme analogy, but do you not see how dissonant the conversation would be if everyone's talking about their favorite routes in a VN most of the time, and someone new to this community tries to ask this audience what the best new FPS is? You might be able to answer their question, but it's likely that person won't stick around if they aren't into anime much at all.

Disclaimer: I'm a regular of mangaGAF, and am an avid reader of cute manga, like romance or shoujo. Something similar happened in that community, which resulted in Naruto/One Piece/Bleach getting spinned off into their own threads. This problem may be because Steam is getting too diverse to keep everyone happy though. Imagine you're an Xbox fan but you have to wade through all the Nintendo conversation before you get to what you're looking for. Or better yet, imagine if you're a Nintendo fan and having to wade through Nintendoomed in review threads or something

Just add all anime avatars to the block list. It's probably the most effective method.
Welp. RIP me.

A Story about my uncle

I found this to be a pleasent experience. There aren't many first person platformers out there, and for good reason, they can be hard to pull off correctly. This game overcomes the usual issues of the genre by focusing mostly on the grappling mechanic which, while not the most physically accurate grappling simulation, allows for great degrees of freedom on how to approach certain sections of the game.

The level design was interesting and fair in general, though there were a few sections that left me thinking weren't playtested correctly (or at all).

The world had some interesting sections, though I wasn't a fan of the writing, which I found to be cringe worthy at times, or the narration. Thankfully not to the point where I'd say they detracted from the experience.

With a 2-3 hours runtime the game doesn't overstays its welcome.
I would definitively recommend it to anyone that enjoys platformers, in particular to those looking for a first person game within the genre.

2-3 hours? I have not looked at the steam release I played a free version a year or so ago. I think it said it was a student project, and the graphics weren't that good.

But I don't think it was 2-3 hours. Is the steam version longer maybe?

Sch1sm

Still no GTA V news? No system requirements. No pre order option. No previews at all.

I'm starting to get worried.

Day before release along with delay news. I bet money. :p They say it should be releasing on time, though that makes me think there's no definite.

Yup, just like how I ignore all the Metal Gear shenanigans =P

How DARE you ignore my Lord and Savior Metal Gear?! You have made a powerful enemy on this day.

Seriously though, and speaking of, is there ANY hope at all of Konami bringing any of the older Metal Gears to PC? Has there been even the slightest hint of discussion about that from anyone at Konami or Kojima Productions?

All of this anime nonsense is distracting us from what really matters: glorious new releases on Steam

I present to you GRAV!
It's totally not Planet Explorers.

ss_0cbbfc02e2a102a0e64d39157fc4efe5ea975c88.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
How DARE you ignore my Lord and Savior Metal Gear?! You have made a powerful enemy on this day.

Seriously though, and speaking of, is there ANY hope at all of Konami bringing any of the older Metal Gears to PC? Has there been even the slightest hint of discussion about that from anyone at Konami or Kojima Productions?

At the moment emulation shall do. Dust off those Ps2 copies and run them on PCSX2

All of this anime nonsense is distracting us from what really matters: glorious new releases on Steam

I present to you GRAV!
It's totally not Planet Explorers.

Looks pretty nice IMO but will wait on impressions.

So far, my main gripe with watch dogs is that it controls like a goofy mashup of a TPS and Assassin's Creed. Not sure what they were thinking with this control scheme but i guess I'll get used to it eventually.

Besides that, i just have a general sense of meh about the hour-plus i put into it last night. At least it looks pretty decent all maxed out and it holds almost completely at 60 fps with a 770. I guess it looked better in the original previews or something but, really, it looks at least as good as Sleeping Dogs did if not better.

dani_dc

2-3 hours? I have not looked at the steam release I played a free version a year or so ago. I think it said it was a student project, and the graphics weren't that good.

But I don't think it was 2-3 hours. Is the steam version longer maybe?

Seems in line with How Long To Beat .

I would guess the free version was the original student project rather than the full Steam game that exists now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom