• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Max Payne 1 and 2 recently, I don't think they have aged all that well.
I played Max Payne 2 last year. The gameplay is fine but it's not really what i come to those games for. I came to them for their tone, atmosphere, and style. I come to Remedy games for the same reason people come to Suda51 or Swery games: if the gameplay is great then awesome but it's all about the worlds they create.

There's more charm in the first 15 minutes of MP2 than all of MP3. But MP3 was aiming for a different thing altogether, it felt more like someone wanted to make a serious GTA third person shooter that just happened to be part of the max payne saga than someone trying to make a new max payne.

it doesn't work more than it does but the game is still solid in spite of its stylistic and tonal downgrades

i played 1 for a bit and it's a bit too much save scumming for me

or maybe i just need to git gud

Oh, MP1 and MP2 are definitely save scumming games absolutely. no shame in quicksaving like a mofo in those games.

Indie Gala Rockin' ANIME BUNDLE IS LIVE!

TIER 1 Pay $1 and get the following 2 Steam Games.

Diadra Empty (STEAM)
Hitogata Happa (STEAM)

TIER 2 Pay $1.99 (SPECIAL 24 Hour Launch Price) and get all 7 Fantastic ANIME Steam Games.

Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition HD (STEAM)
Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils (STEAM)
Gundemonium Recollection (STEAM)
GundeadliGne (STEAM)
SUGURI (STEAM)

I have all of these aside from Bunny & Diadra but Indie Gala won't let me buy anything, it says my account is suspicious. All i did was login and click buy! Any ideas before i contact support and ask what the fuck is going on?

ahh yeah thanks for the heads up

i couldn't link some of the music because the related videos are spoilerific too

also apparently the berserk items are still in the game files for DD

http://steamcommunity.com/app/367500/discussions/0/451850468372008943/

JojJH.jpg

Completed 0 games this last week and watched 3 movies. Am I doing it right?

I haven't completed any games in 2016.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Code:
#	Date	        Movie
1	1/7/2016	2001 : A Space Odyssey 
2	1/8/2016	Whiplash
3	1/10/2016	The Martian

Yes. I'm tracking this. Bite me.

My friends and I keep a massive google spreadsheet going of all the media we've consumed. At the end of the year, we crown a winner.

It's called the Biggest Loser.

garath

I haven't completed any games this year but I started three of them. That's progress right?

Code:
#	Date	        Movie
1	1/7/2016	2001 : A Space Odyssey 
2	1/8/2016	Whiplash
3	1/10/2016	The Martian

Yes. I'm tracking this. Bite me.

Whiplash and the martian were both incredible. I appreciated whiplash even more because I was a jazz drummer in high school and college.

Amzin

I kept a list of all the games I beat or "endless" games I played a good amount of last year, doing the same this year. I like the idea of adding movies / TV to that though.

UltraJay

Any deals for Dragon's Dogma still up? Will sites like GMG and stuff include the pre-order stuff like the soundtrack, etc?

Playing through Resident Evil at the moment. I'm starting to get a little better but I just failed to save
Richard since I thought I could explore all the rooms on the way to and from the serum room.
I set up a nice area around the first item box, killed all the zombies with either decapitated heads or burning their bodies.
But one zombie I killed on the way to the armor key seems to have turned into a super zombie. Good thing I can go in from another way plus sprint back to the armor key room whenever I get the helmet key.

Never played the game before so I'm learning. I don't like the "fixed" localization. No master of lockpicking! Come on! And I thought that they keep "Jill Sandwich" but it was changed to "flat enough to fit in a sandwich." That's worse! Jill Sandwich was way more natural from Barry and was totally iconic! Did they change these lines on the Gamecube version? Because this is really bothering me almost enough to play this on ePSXe or Dolphin. Maybe this PC version will get a "original dialogue" mod? Its got a "skip doors" mod.

Whiplash and the martian were both incredible. I appreciated whiplash even more because I was a jazz drummer in high school and college.

Not Jazz, but I drummed in high school as well. Really appreciated the movie, the last 10-15 minutes was just incredible.

2 for 3 aint bad

the martian had less tension than a paper bag full of ice. Too jokey and i couldn't take it seriously

Well, It was labeled 'Comedy' at the Golden Globes for some reason. I mean, the ending was predictable and all....but I thought Damon did a pretty damn good job for basically carrying the whole movie.

Just join the challenge :p

Also, good choices! Whiplash was my 2014 movie of the year.

I don't read books brah.

Anteater

Any deals for Dragon's Dogma still up? Will sites like GMG and stuff include the pre-order stuff like the soundtrack, etc?

Playing through Resident Evil at the moment. I'm starting to get a little better but I just failed to save
Richard since I thought I could explore all the rooms on the way to and from the serum room.
I set up a nice area around the first item box, killed all the zombies with either decapitated heads or burning their bodies.
But one zombie I killed on the way to the armor key seems to have turned into a super zombie. Good thing I can go in from another way plus sprint back to the armor key room whenever I get the helmet key.

Never played the game before so I'm learning. I don't like the "fixed" localization. No master of lockpicking! Come on! And I thought that they keep "Jill Sandwich" but it was changed to "flat enough to fit in a sandwich." That's worse! Jill Sandwich was way more natural from Barry and was totally iconic! Did they change these lines on the Gamecube version? Because this is really bothering me almost enough to play this on ePSXe or Dolphin. Maybe this PC version will get a "original dialogue" mod? Its got a "skip doors" mod.

gmg has a 25% off coupon for new games, and yeah DD do come with the preorder bonuses on GMG

Shadownet

Banned
I just want to give a quick impression of the unofficial sequel to Fight Club
not really
. Otherwise known as Punch Club.

The game as it core is a management RPG. Not to spoil any of the plot (yes there is a story) but you're a young boxer, haunted by a past tragedy, trying to make it in a cruel world and becoming a stronger fighter. You do basically 3 things in the game. Go to work and make money to help pay for food, train to become stronger and fight in different tournaments and meet with NPCs to advance the story. As far as I can notice, there isn't really any choices that affect the story. The graphic is quite good, quirky. Reminds me a lot of the old TMNT game and the soundtrack is fun to listen to, though after several hours, it get quite forgettable. The best thing about this game is the Easter eggs and references. There are characters and objects that make references to famous games and movies, like for example: Tyler Durden from Fight Club is an NPC in the game. As full of nostalgia this game is, I can't really recommend it right now, purely because the gameplay mechanics itself isn't enjoyable and could be improved. Everything is quite a grind and its not even an enjoyable grind. There seem to never be enough hours in a day to do much. You work to earn money to pay for food, which is needed to replenish food. There are 4 bars you have to monitors, health, food, happiness and hunger. You lose health whenever you fight, whether that its an official fight in a ring or a random street encounter. If you have 100% health, then for example you start off with 150 health in a fight but if you have 45% health, you start off fights with reduced health than normal which put you at a disadvantage. Food bar is drain whenever you work out or at work, same with energy, they can be regain by eating and sleeping. Happiness is drain whenever you lose a match or a fight and can be regain by winning, sleeping or doing leisure activities like watching TV.

Now here come the bad parts. You basically have to manage your day to be efficient. You have to work to gain money to buy food, or save up to buy gym equipments at the store so you don't have to pay gym fee to work out anymore. You have to work out to become stronger, at the end of each day, you lose a small part of each stat bar. There are 3 stats, Strength, Agility and Endurance. Its incredibly frustrating to work your butt off the entire day and then ends up losing like 25-75% of the progress you made because of that. Every single damn day. You just reached level 10 on Strength? *end of the day* well fuck you, youre now 25% away from level 10. At the end of the day you'll get a report like you gained 135 points of experience in Strength today only to lose 80 points of it. Things cost a lot in this game, early on each job you do grant $50. Food itself cost $11-20 and only restore little to moderate amount. Gym membership cost $10 each time you go in. To buy your own gym equipment cost between $100-250. So yeah, money is tight and time is precious. Even if you manange to get a lot of money, you will be randomly challenge by thugs that will try to take your money. You can fight them or run away. But my stats aren't high enough to run away apparently. So you're forced to fight, if you lose, then say goodbye to half of your money. You can participate in official tournaments and make your journey from an amateur fighter to a pro, make a name for yourself in underground tournaments is also possible.

The gameplay mechanic for fighting is interesting, you start out with 2-3 moves like basic punch, kick and maybe dodge or block. You can equip them at the beginning of a fight, mix and match to get the best result. You can change moves at the beginning of each round. In a match, you get 10 rounds, in a street fight its usually 2-3 rounds. You can learn more advanced moves as you win and complete quests which earn you tokens that can be use to purchase moves. There are 3 advanced fighting paths you can follow, that corresponds with Strength, Agility and Endurance. The game recommend you specialize your training and moves around one area. So spending your time training agility, unlock moves like high kick and train in Way of the Tiger will be beneficial. Though I recommend, working on your other two stats as well. Though honestly, the fighting itself is quite boring. You just equip moves and watch two figures fight automatically. 90% of the time you know who is going to win in the first 15 seconds. Very rarely will it be close. There are no input, you just watch, wait, and if the round end, you can switch your techniques or keep going until someone goes down. I spent about 3 hours in this game, painstakingly leveling up slowly, very slowly. Winning and losing fights. Grinding to make money and training. Its just not very fun in the end, and I'm not even done with the first chapter of the game. (The game seem to be split into 4 distinct chapters)

For this game to be enjoyable,they need to tone down or remove the experience lost at the end of the day, make it so that your techniques/fights make more of a different than just inputting and watching two sprites fighting each other until one drops.

If you read the reviews on steam, most people share similar sentiment. The game certainly has promises with it quirky dialogues, nostalgia filled references and premise. But dull and grindy gameplay really brings it down. If you have any question, feel free to ask.

Endruen

Wow guys, I already beat Undertale and 100% completed Tetrobot & Co.
I bought more than 2 games in the same period of time, so my backloggery still catches me T.T

The Martian was garbage.

Better off playing Bad Rats.

im all for the recent return of well done space films to the box office. More kids are going to grow up wondering about space and how amazing it is and that's always a plus.

that said, The Martian was easily the worst of the bunch. It was a joke a minute situation that squandered the tension building up regarding the shit going down on mars. Basically, anything happening on Earth was hot garbage

UltraJay

Indie Gala Rockin' ANIME BUNDLE IS LIVE!

TIER 1 Pay $1 and get the following 2 Steam Games.

Diadra Empty (STEAM)
Hitogata Happa (STEAM)

TIER 2 Pay $1.99 (SPECIAL 24 Hour Launch Price) and get all 7 Fantastic ANIME Steam Games.

Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition HD (STEAM)
Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils (STEAM)
Gundemonium Recollection (STEAM)
GundeadliGne (STEAM)
SUGURI (STEAM)

I don't think I own any of these! Thanks! This'll be my first Indiegala bundle!

You can't prove that I bought Sexy Girls 1 and 2. You got nothing.

Anteater

aww man I was wasted last night and used all my ammos in re5 because i forgot to shoot that flying thing in its weakpoint (its ass)

Pachimari

Guys, if you are trying to complete games on consoles (not Nintendo), how do you keep track of your playing time? Are you using a stop watch every time you turn on the game? I'm currently playing through Until Dawn, and have no idea how many hours I have spent on it.

yuraya

im all for the recent return of well done space films to the box office. More kids are going to grow up wondering about space and how amazing it is and that's always a plus.

that said, The Martian was easily the worst of the bunch. It was a joke a minute situation that squandered the tension building up regarding the shit going down on mars. Basically, anything happening on Earth was hot garbage

It was all just boring and predictable. Matt Damon is awful in everything that isn't The Bourne movies.

As far as Mars movies go.

Red Planet > Mission to Mars > The Last Days on Mars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Martian

Guys, if you are trying to complete games on consoles (not Nintendo), how do you keep track of your playing time? Are you using a stop watch every time you turn on the game? I'm currently playing through Until Dawn, and have no idea how many hours I have spent on it.

i hope the game has a timer built in.

Otherwise, you have to be vigilant about it.

The Xbox One will tell you how long you've been playing a game but i dont think that timer is super accurate.

Basically, you gotta work out the math yourself brah

Tizoc

GMG will offer pre order bonuses for both RE0 HD and Dragon's Dogma as their page describes.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It was all just boring and predictable. Matt Damon is awful in everything that isn't The Bourne movies.

As far as Mars movies go.

Red Planet > Mission to Mars > The Last Days on Mars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Martian

Me right now:

TKHOmmF.gif

Turfster

I'm never sure how GAF actually feels about this game, except that constant use of Red text.

I haven't checked recently, but when it was released, it was literally some bought-on-the-asset-store models and a basic unity heightmap with sample textures on it, scaled badly.

I'm not a fan, if you're wondering. =p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've finished 2 games, 1 book, and 7 movies so far in 2016. So I'm on track to finish 52 games, 26 books, and 182 movies if I keep this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom