• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
7wYBVNc.jpg

yeaah

flyyying

flying into free

all your pawns are shit

pff, get better friends!
WIDESFZ.png

Eila

Bunny Must Die asks you if you want to launch full screen when you boot it for the first time and now whenever I launch the game it's just a black screen. I can hear the music so it's running.
MqRoDVT.gif

Grief.exe

As an example: SEGA titles. VC is usually $5 during Steam sales, but this Winter Seal it was around $6.50

Some publishers were obviously playing a more wait and see approach during these sales, but those titles represent a statistical minority.

Yes there were cases of this, there were growing pains, and negatives, but I don't use one off examples to misrepresent the whole.

Personally, I found the changes to be completely arbitrary for a mainstream user. The majority of users are simply going to browse the front page anyways to find a title that interests them.
As a dedicated enthusiast, to net change is a net positive as it provides the vast majority of games at, or near, their best discount.

header.jpg

Reminder: Only 8 of my SteamGAF friends own Drgaon's Dogma, and it is only $22.50 at GMG with code 25PERC-2016GM-WTHGMG at checkout, which expires 16:00 UTC 12th January.
Let's get Dogma back to the top seller. You can also use the code for another sweet Capcom game that's overshadowed by the Dogma:

header.jpg

Only one of my friends owns this right now, give Capcom more money!

shockdude

Suguri collection successfully refunded despite purchasing it 15 days ago. IndieGala bundle purchased in its place. Awesome.
So many shmups whoo.

This game looks right up my alley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpuasoKQnzk

A 2.5D beat'em-up with robots. I don't mind the character designs but they oddly remind me of Dutch and Linn Kurosawa from AvP-
https://40.media.tumblr.com/cfad46781694c7f4e9d89c492a9992c3/tumblr_mqgzwgP8DA1r7sijxo1_500.png[/ig][/QUOTE]

Really? They look more like The Incredibles just with futuristic stuff.

I dunno if the game itself is going to be good. The last worthwhile beatemups I've played were Streets of Fury and Phantom Breaker: BG.

Bunny Must Die asks you if you want to launch full screen when you boot it for the first time and now whenever I launch the game it's just a black screen. I can hear the music so it's running.
http://i.imgur.com/MqRoDVT.gif][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]In your steam client, right-click on one of the games. Then select "Properties" and then "Set Launch Options." Type "--setup" and click OK. When you run the game, the setup window will pop up. The graphics filter setting should be set to "Direct3D." Set it to "DirectDraw" and click "Save and Run."[/QUOTE]

This worked for me for another game that was having what sounds like the same problem. At the very least maybe you can switch it back to windowed?

RULES OF NATURE

actually Into Free...lol

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58249/dragons-dogma-intro-free-dangan-by-bz-music-video/

(didn't know G4 still had a site)

Are you sitting down? Because they have another site that is still active.

http://www.syfygames.com/news

From what I can make out by talking to some people who work at SyFy and the old G4TV is that several people at NBC still think G4/Gaming as a television channel could be a thing and are keeping the brand active incase they ever relaunch it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The winter sale is a direct result of years of you people complaining that you missed a daily deal.

Valve then extended daily deals to really be 2-day deals and some of you still complained that you missed them.

Now you can't miss a discount during the entire sale and yet even more of you complain.

Ludens

Banned
This post is from 10th January 2018, I just want to say Konami just patched MGSV to remove The Man Who Sold the world playing
in the intro
, now there's Sins of Father instead.

Jawmuncher

This post is from 10th January 2018, I just want to say Konami just patched MGSV to remove The Man Who Sold the world playing
in the intro
, now there's Sins of Father instead.

Really? That doesn't even make sense to do.

Wait, when did SEGA make a beat'em-up based on the Alien franchise :O

They didn't, but they have the license so it would have to go through them still in some form.

Some publishers were obviously playing a more wait and see approach during these sales, but those titles represent a statistical minority.

Yes there were cases of this, there were growing pains, and negatives, but I don't use one off examples to misrepresent the whole.
I'm confused, the article says the average discount was lower/worse, how is Tizoc's example a statistical outlier?

Avg Summer sale disc: 66%
Avg Winter sale disc w/o dailies: 57%

Are you sure you read that article correctly? As an enthusiast who follows the sale daily, you were worse off.

garath

So even though the games were less aggressively discounted, people bought more than the summer sale. I have to think that the Xmas season had as much as anything. I wonder if they have the data to compare winter sale to winter sale.

It is pretty safe to say the loss of the daily deal was no loss at all. The sales numbers alone should speak to that.

So even though the games were less aggressively discounted, people bought more than the summer sale. I have to think that the Xmas season had as much as anything. I wonder if they have the data to compare winter sale to winter sale.

It is pretty safe to say the loss of the daily deal was no loss at all. The sales numbers alone should speak to that.
Valve gave publishers confidential data that said this year was more successful than last year's winter sale.

Eila

This worked for me for another game that was having what sounds like the same problem. At the very least maybe you can switch it back to windowed?

That's what I wanted to do, but I already tried reinstalling and the settings menu is not appearing. It's steam cloud so the settings are probably taken from there.
It wasn't meant to be.

Good for the industry at least. Unfortunately I suspect this means less deeper discounts moving forward until it starts to slide at least.

i think that was the point, to spend years giving deep discounts during sales to increase steam's userbase and then to slowly start creeping prices more upward so that steam sales start looking like PSN and XBL sales.

I think we finally crossed that threshold where publishers and Valve are no longer cutting their AAA games down to 90% or for like $2-5 because they don't have to anymore, enough people will pick it up at 75% off that such drastic slashing of prices isn't warranted

we're basically depending on pricing mistakes and other storefronts to give us the prices we used to get on steam. I finally picked up Super Dark Souls II at $16 on gamersgate because it was close enough to my $15 threshold for impulse prices that i said fuck it yet the $18 steam price did nothing for me.

garath

i think that was the point, to spend years giving deep discounts during sales to increase steam's userbase and then to slowly start creeping prices more upward so that steam sales start looking like PSN and XBL sales.

I think we finally crossed that threshold where publishers and Valve are no longer cutting their AAA games down to 90% or for like $2-5 because they don't have to anymore, enough people will pick it up at 75% off that such drastic slashing of prices isn't warranted

Yep. I've been waiting for the $5 watchdogs and (outside of an Australian price mistake) it doesn't look like it will ever make it there.

We'll probably see 50% max discounts to be the norm in a year or two.

On the flip side though, we have been seeing better Xbox live and psn sales so maybe there's a happy middle ground.

Valve gave publishers confidential data that said this year was more successful than last year's winter sale.

I wonder if its not mainly because of the discounts, but because of all the new regions that were added in November.

At least, anecdotally from what I can see, since Valve introduced the RMB (chinese currency) there are far more Chinese using Steam now.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Idle Master grows your Steam Trading Card collection in your absence

Steam Trading Cards are a contemporary, virtual interpretation of yesteryear’s Pokemons, footie stickers, or, if your memory stretches back as far as mine, Pogs. Ah, yes, the days of roaming the playground with steely determination and unwavering conviction as you struck up deals at will, swapping five doublers at a time for that ever-elusive card or disk or shiny that completed your collection. It was business education in action.

Growing your Steam Trading Cards assemblage demands similar levels of perseverance, dedication and...eh? Idle Master, what’s that then?

Idle Master is an open source application - a “labor of love...so everyone can get the most from Steam Trading Cards” - that allows you to continue collecting cards even if you decide to pop off to the loo or the pub or the local newsagent to inquire about the possibilty of a Pog revival.

“Do you have a lot of games in your Steam library that have card drops available, but not enough time to play them all?” asks Idle Master’s About page. “How great would it be to run a program before bed and wake up to an inventory full of Trading Cards? That's what Idle Master does.”

In essence, the app tricks Steam into thinking you’re still sat in front of your PC plodding along in any given game when you’re actually. In the meantime it scours your library waiting for each game to drop cards, before skipping to the next. Is it cheating? I suppose it might be, but just look at all those lovely cards you've accrued while your mate was busting a gut actually playing games. Sucker.

I’d have been the king of the playground if something like this'd been around in the late 90s.

Idle Master accumulates Steam Trading Cards while you sleep

Is there any way to speed up getting Steam trading cards? — R.J.

You can't make Trading Cards drop faster, but you can collect 'em all while you're doing something else. Idle Master is a lightweight, open source application that tricks Steam into thinking you're playing a game when you're not, which is only useful for collecting cards—or, I guess, supporting an elaborate lie about how you've stopped sleeping.

Leave Idle Master running, and it'll flip through your library, waiting for each game to drop all the cards it can before moving onto the next. It certainly bypasses the spirit of the Trading Card system, but was also inevitable, really—if people cheat at games, they're going to cheat when you gamify games. The best part is that you don't have to have a game installed to pretend to be playing it.

Idle Master has been around for a while without any Valve censure, so it seems pretty safe to use (though, I guess you might consider the energy cost of accumulating stacks of 10 cent jpgs). For more on the wonderful world of playing games but not really playing them, check out our story from a few years ago about Team Fortress 2 idler maps.

So the 3-pack "Nightmares From the Deep" collection on sale this week is a decent deal on 3 of the best hidden object / light adventure games out there (Artifex Mundi are the kings of the genre). They're on sale pretty frequently (they seem to rotate through their catalog), but if you wanted to try the genre out the NftD trilogy is a great place to start. (this is also the same company that made Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden, which so shamelessly steals the Rapture setting from Bioshock it's almost worth playing for that alone).

One thing to watch out for is Artifex Mundi also publishes games from other HO/LA creators; some of which are great and some of which aren't remotely as good as the games they make themselves.

ArjanN

This game looks right up my alley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpuasoKQnzk

A 2.5D beat'em-up with robots. I don't mind the character designs but they oddly remind me of Dutch and Linn Kurosawa from AvP-

This looks cool, is it confirmed for PC or just Xbox One for now?

Here's an interesting Korean 3D arena fighter / beat'em up type game I saw on Steam greenlight:

SMASHING THE BATTLE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsfFQm3upho

Visually reminds me a mix of Guilty Gear 2 Overture and Android Assault Cactus. Oh, and with hot anime girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom