• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You're the creator of Idle Master?

Yep. It was conceived from musings on this very thread. The original Python version was just an extension of some code that Stumpokapow posted.

Endruen

Nobody ever wants a reverse lamia. I wonder why?
Well, it's not necesary because Miia has "something" under that skirt.
Not very accesible, though.

Another interpretation of Lamia:

rP5aAm0.jpg
Is... is that a sting in its penis?
tGuq.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wasn't Stump also involved in one of them?

I wrote some very very preliminary python (almost pseudocode, really) about how I'd implement the core loop of IdleMaster--the kind of stuff programmers do when they have 5 spare minutes--and jshackles used a version of that for his first version. None of my code is left in the program today and jshackles very graciously gave me credit for the initial stuff.

Good Lord Steam Big Picture mode is a waste of space.

I accidentally clicked on that stupid icon instead of minimize. After trying to leave BP mode , Steam crashed.

Grief.exe

You quoted this on the last page:

average discount was lower this time — 57.52% vs 66.63% during Summer Sale.

I'm missing something. Could you explain how the consumer isn't worse off here?

I'm confused, the article says the average discount was lower/worse, how is Tizoc's example a statistical outlier?

You know what, I believe I did mis-interpret that section. I read the word lower then thought he was demonstrating a delta with the negative, but that is just splitting the sentence from his data. I wouldn't look too much into this as it was a mistake on my part.
I need to rerun some numbers here to make sure I didn't miscalculate anything more important around the office.

I will say something that I noticed though, I wonder if Steamspy is even able to detect the point I'm trying to make. They utilize a minority of Steam profiles to statistically show data.

Even right at the start of the article, Sergey points out that Steamspy isn't able to detect games that sold less than 1,000 copies which would be at or near the games I'm referring to.

And that only includes games that sold over 1,000 copies, because smaller changes are barely detectable by Steam Spy. That’s 50% more compared to Steam Summer Sale.

If you look at his table of discounts, it does't even come close to approaching the ~11,000 games that were apart of the sale. At best I'm looking at 2500 here which would represent around one quarter of the total sale.

Interestingly enough, if you break down the graph then it is showing that the vast majority of games are discounted between 70-99% off.

9KSPlF4.png

He even tells us to never trust the average, I should have been more careful in looking at that data in the first place.

One of the reasons the revenue/sales were so high over the summer sale as people were buying more expensive games, the majority of which didn't exist during the summer sale.

• Fallout 4 - 15%
  • GTAV - 40%
  • Witcher 3 - 50%
  • Rainbow Six Siege - 20%
  • Just Cause 3 - 20%
  • Rocket League - 30%
  • CS:GO - 50%
  • Dying Light - 66%
  • Football manager 2016 -25%
  • Ark: Survival Evolved - 40%
  • MGSV - 33%
  • Mad Max - 66%
  • Rust - 50%
  • Undertale - 20%
  • Dark Souls II - 60%

That’s almost twice as much as Steam Summer Sale did.
One of the reasons here is that both Fallout 4 and Grand Theft Auto V were discounted (unlike the last time, when GTA V was force-bundled and then “discounted” to $59.99). Fallout 4 and GTA V are the biggest games on Steam this year in terms of revenue, so both obviously helped.

zMUwKc2.png

Lain

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/hidden-gems-2-bundle

Hidden Gems 2 Bundle:
Tier 1 - $1
Stacks TNT
Notrium
Fractals: Make Blooms Not War

Tier 2 - $2.49
Our Love Will Grow
stratO
Foosball: World Tour
The Dwarf Run

Tier 3 - $2.99
Square Brawl
Pixel Galaxy

Thinking of getting either $1 or $3, I own two games in the Tier 2, I think.

Not a bad bundle. I grabbed the 3$ tier (because you can never have enough games you don't plan to play anytime soon).

Tizoc

Oh my god
OH MY GOD
GAF
I PLAYED PAINT IT BACK
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

I DEMAND THIS GAME BE AMONG THE TOP 20 STEAMGAF GOTY LISTS

THIS GAME IS AMAZING.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I'm checking out Greenlight, and I notice, that Death to Spies 3 and H-Hour: World's Elite isn't there anymore. Is this because it weren't greenlighted, or could it be, that it were greenlighted and they just removed the page because it's on the way to the store?

Death to Spies 3 transmogrified into Alekhine's Gun (although what was Death to Spies 3 is in the registry) and World's Elite has been available since May.

Uzzy

Glad it didn't go and die on ouya. I think it was an exclusive at one point during dev.

Yep, that trailer had enough crushing despair for me to want to go do something more fun, like watch Grave of the Fireflies. Looks like that'll be very tough to play.

Endruen

Oh my god
OH MY GOD
GAF
I PLAYED PAINT IT BACK
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

I DEMAND THIS GAME BE AMONG THE TOP 20 STEAMGAF GOTY LISTS

THIS GAME IS AMAZING.
Now I know how to play those bloody Hexcell and Squarecell games.
ONWARDS I GO UNDETERRED!
BRING UNTO ME YOUR MOST INSANE COMBINATIONS!
I SHAL BE VICTORIOUS IN THE END!
tGwc.gif

Picross-like games are cool. Yesterday my SO tried the Pokémon one and I remembered why I liked the original. I'm going to check this game.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Ubisoft confirms that For Honor will have a full single-player campaign

For Honor was unveiled at E3 2015 as a four-on-four melee battle game in which Knights, Samurais, and Vikings smack the holy hell out of each other with various sorts of vicious-looking blunt and bladed weapons. It had fairly obvious echoes of games like War of the Roses and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, albeit on a smaller scale, including what appeared to be a very clear focus on multiplayer. In a recently-released “Producer Highlights” video, however, Producer Stephane Cardin confirmed that there will be a full solo campaign as well.

The existence of a single-player mode, as noted by IGN, was actually touched on at E3, but went largely unnoticed and hasn't really come up since. “One of the big questions we receive in feedback is about the solo campaign,” Cardin says in the video. “We said that we will have a solo campaign, and I can promise you that we will have a solo campaign. It's one of the key subjects we are working on, on the floor. I can't wait to show stuff to you guys, and we'll do it as early as possible, like we did with the multiplayer.”

For Honor isn't going to be a fantasy game—no spell casting, dragon-slaying, or other such shenanigans—and so my guess is that we'll get three separate campaigns, one for each warrior, rather than something that throws them all into a bag and then shakes it up. Anything's possible, though; after all, Cardin also thinks the Canadiens are going to win the Cup in 2016.

We got to spend a bit of hands-on time with For Honor at E3, which you may dig into here. There's currently no release date, but you can learn a bit more about what Ubisoft has cooking at forhonor.ubisoft.com.

Buraindo

That's unexpected considering that it's a Samurai vs Vikings vs Knights thing. Hope it doesn't have as many launch issues as Siege.

Good, I assume that they learned from Rainbow Six Siege that some sort of SP campaign is better than none. Even if it's a low effort attempt, having that helps check off the box and get more people interested. Those of whom will end up going to MP at some point.

Siege does have single player content in the form of Situations. They're great for learning maps and understanding how some operators work.
I vastly prefer these no context, helpful missions to some excessive, pointless Battlefield style campaign which would've been torn apart by critics and players alike anyway.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Foosball: World Tour -- MB-D8E8C9370A2C9C3C - Taken by nightstorm. 3 entrants total.
Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today -- MB-31CDADA338BC1EF2 - Taken by Madridista. 7 entrants total.
Evolution -- MB-01D70FA826F67AA7 - Taken by Ozium. 2 entrants total.
StratO -- MB-A238D903BF1FE59F - Taken by MaxiLive. 2 entrants total.
Manyland -- MB-D91B17A2F8D33E41 - Taken by Kifimbo. 2 entrants total.
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-901CE22A39960E13 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.
Stacks TNT -- MB-C15656E3E33C1331 - Taken by xGreg. 3 entrants total.
Sodacity -- MB-72E2938F98728EF3 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
Gunnheim -- MB-66BFDD776A62699C - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Notrium -- MB-09E41465C73C44A7 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Lightrise -- MB-1666A3067CCDF25E - Taken by madjoki. 1 entrants total.

t1452543250z1.png

Uzzy

I recently bought a new set of headphones, the Sennheiser HD 598's, and they arrived today. The FLAC version of Transistor's soundtrack sounds better than ever through them, have to find some more great video game soundtracks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom