• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

milena87

I decided to buy Dragon's Dogma. And to give a little something away, since it's been a while.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (milena87, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen #2 -- MB-121FF37D654E129B - Taken by TheAutomator. 36 entrants total.
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen -- MB-0BF6CDEE647031AD - Taken by Leafhopper. 52 entrants total.

t1452548080z1.png

Pachimari

So I'm checking out Greenlight, and I notice, that Death to Spies 3 and H-Hour: World's Elite isn't there anymore. Is this because it weren't greenlighted, or could it be, that it were greenlighted and they just removed the page because it's on the way to the store?

I wonder if its not mainly because of the discounts, but because of all the new regions that were added in November.

At least, anecdotally from what I can see, since Valve introduced the RMB (chinese currency) there are far more Chinese using Steam now.
Yeah I'm hoping they adjusted their data for that and general user growth.

My thoughts: People generally buy what is on the front page during sales, daily or not, so worse avg discount leads to more revenue overall.

EDIT: I approve of posting monster girls

Anteater

All riven, kith and kin,
All given for this, a never-ending riddle,
My flesh worn, heart betorn,
Mind, by mem'ry, begyved...

As I wander, cold and immane?
Whither now my mother, my flame?
And along the coils of light,
The life I desired?

"Anon must we part?"
Words like a dart, red and dire,
Eyne that accoyed with their heat,

O! How I have seen the Dragon's Dogma!
Unbound by time, all-binding, grand design,
Land and skies and seas yearn,
Finish the cycle of eternal return,

When thou pulledst this boy from the sand,
Didst thou see him bearded, with brand?
And within the coils of light, when our blades took flight-
What future didst thou envision?

As I keep this frozen demesne,
Whither now my mother, my flame?
And along the coils of light,
The life I desired?

How I have seen the Dragon's Dogma

Steam concurrent user numbers peaked again at almost 12.4M

It is really interesting to see concurrent user going above 12M so many times in so short timeframe.
I have a theory that the best thing that happened to Steam wasn't necessarily good pc ports or having publishers jump in more and more, it's that minecraft took off on PC. It introduced a whole new generation of children to desktop PCs and PC gaming and as those minecraft kids grow up and want to play something else, the fact that they grew up on the PC platform and dont see it as some sort of impossibly obtuse device for old people who are set in their ways is going to be a hell of a thing

Obviously that doesn't mean that the other factors aren't helping too but im wondering how helpful that has been for exposing young gamers to PC gaming in general

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think the new sale system is ok: everything is on sale the entire time, with the same discount throughout. If you were considering a game on the first day, you can bite the bullet and get it on the last. I get that many people think this is boring compared to dailies/flash deals, but I have no real problem with it.

I forget which Gunde- game it was but I was fighting this boss. She did a charging attack. When it connected I went from FIVE lives to NONE.

Biggest WTF moment. I've never seen that in a 2D shooter before.

I'm just accepting that these games are too tough for me, even on the easiest setting. That's why I loved Jamestown so much, just manageable enough if you're a casual player of these games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I had a huge surge of traffic this morning, guess this explains a lot. Those comments are depressing though.

RIP jshackles' mailbox.

Also, this. Idle Master is strange for me now because there really isn't much I can do to improve on it. Unlike Enhanced Steam, there isn't much "new" to do with Steam trading cards. The tool does it's job when it can, then doesn't when it can't. The vast majority of support requests I get are still from people that don't understand that you can't get trading cards for games you don't already own.

The few things I have thought about adding into Idle Master, such as it automatically selling the card drops you earn from using it put it far too close to the type of "total market automation" that Valve actively tries to shut down. What's weird (for me) is that Idle Master has been on a trend the last six months to be more popular than Enhanced Steam, so I feel like I should be working on it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Black Soma, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shadowgate (2014) -- MB-668428B1A1BD95A3 - Taken by Anteater. 7 entrants total.

t1452539560z1.png
Enjoy.

fantomena

Tinybuild will be announcing 4 new games on PAX South. 1 of them is assumably a sequel to Lovely Planet.

There are descriptions and a picture to all 4 of them in the press mail, but it won't let me copy them. One is "This War of Mine" on a train, another is about a ball.

yuraya

I have a theory that the best thing that happened to Steam wasn't necessarily good pc ports or having publishers jump in more and more, it's that minecraft took off on PC. It introduced a whole new generation of children to desktop PCs and PC gaming and as those minecraft kids grow up and want to play something else, the fact that they grew up on the PC platform and dont see it as some sort of impossibly obtuse device for old people who are set in their ways.

Obviously that doesn't mean that the other factors aren't helping too but im wondering how helpful that has been for exposing young gamers to PC gaming in general

WoW did that too for the early teen generation imo. That game is still the biggest and most profitable game ever made. And its a pc exclusive too hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom