• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

accel

The only issue I have with the discovery queue is how it handles recent wish listed items. Example, over the sale I wish listed two visual novel style games. My next three discovery queues were almost entirely visual novel stuff.

It reminded me of why I stopped bothering with it in the first place, I tend to find more interesting things mentioned here in the steam thread.

I am not sure I experienced that, but that might be because when I am wishlisting, I am wishlisting a lot of games at once. My top issue with the queue is even simpler - it keeps showing me games that are not available in my region. Sometimes I get three or four 'sorry, you can't buy this' per queue, it's pretty annoying. How hard can it be to filter out games that I can't buy while forming the queue??? Beats me.

So Punch Club is bad?

I wouldn't say it's bad but it drags it's feet for no reason in multiple places. It's a management game so your main concern is balancing your income, food, your stats yadda yadda. Not a big deal. Where it gets tedious is that there's stat decay so you could train one of the stats (I think they're strength, agility and stamina) all day and make no progress because you can wear out on the most efficient routine. For example, the best way to train agility is with a speed bag, you can only use a speed bag so much until you can get back to it. The alternatives for training agility give fuck all so if you tire out on the speed bag and still wanna train agility you'll have to settle for jump rope and at the end of every day all stats receive a 30% reduction. Every day.

Mechanic wise, that doesn't bother me too much but the training is soooooo slow for how often you're gonna have to do it. A solid 20s each time. Also the fights which you have no control over (you select moves and it's automated) take forever too. The game is basically you sitting there waiting for bars to fill up and the stat decay only exasperates that issue.

The game would be much better with a fast forward button. Wait for that. The ending is also
comically bad

pahamrick

I am not sure I experienced that, but that might be because when I am wishlisting, I am wishlisting a lot of games at once. My top issue with the queue is even simpler - it keeps showing me games that are not available in my region. Sometimes I get three or four 'sorry, you can't buy this' per queue, it's pretty annoying. How hard can it be to filter out games that I can't buy while forming the queue??? Beats me.

Yeah, my wishlist is pretty huge as is. Aside from my top 10, which are basically buy as soon as I can afford I mainly use it to keep track of things that interest me for deep sale discounts.

Although, having people in other regions constantly getting the can't buy this in their discovery queue is terrible and shouldn't still be happening.

I wouldn't say it's bad but it drags it's feet for no reason in multiple places. It's a management game so your main concern is balancing your income, food, your stats yadda yadda. Not a big deal. Where it gets tedious is that there's stat decay so you could train one of the stats (I think they're strength, agility and stamina) all day and make no progress because you can wear out on the most efficient routine. For example, the best way to train agility is with a speed bag, you can only use a speed bag so much until you can get back to it. The alternatives for training agility give fuck all so if you tire out on the speed bag and still wanna train agility you'll have to settle for jump rope and at the end of every day all stats receive a 30% reduction. Every day.

Mechanic wise, that doesn't bother me too much but the training is soooooo slow for how often you're gonna have to do it. A solid 20s each time. Also the fights which you have no control over (you select moves and it's automated) take forever too. The game is basically you sitting there waiting for bars to fill up and with the stat decay only exasperates that issue.

The game would be much better with a fast forward button. Wait for that. The ending is also
comically bad

Well that's a shame. The premise is interesting, hopefully it gets reworked in the future.

Deques

You are not gonna talk that GMG lowered the price for FFIX to somewhat more acceptable price?

FuykiQM.png

Or did I miss it?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Has there been any update on the legitimacy of GMG, or any further details on if they were delving into some shadier practices?

zkylon

zkylewd
so happy to see punch club not be a great game so i can remove it from my wishlist

i think i get a better feeling from removing games from my wishlist than actually buying them

Buraindo

Finished Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut, took me 46 hours because I had to restart about halfway through, I just didn't feel right playing anything that wasn't a Decker.
But yeah, Dragonfall. Great game, incredible atmosphere, great story and characters, clunky but passable gameplay and no horrible endgame sections. I didn't think it would be this much of an improvement over Returns, but I'm glad that it was and I'm glad to have played both.
That said I won't even be looking at Shadowrun: Hong Kong or anything like it for a while, not sure I can handle any more RNG madness right now.

Seeing as you never finished it, the grind goes completely bonkers during the final stages of the game. Not going to spoil anything but I pretty much stayed at my house and did some store runs every once in a while for food and energy drinks since the stat decay made it so that you lost progress if you ever went to sleep.

The devs seem receptive so they might address some of the bigger issues in the near future. They already capped skills so they don't cost over 25 skill points. I got to a point where I needed 39 for my next skill and only way to get more points was doing a specific activity and fights stopped giving them for some reason.

Finished Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut, took me 46 hours because I had to restart about halfway through, I just didn't feel right playing anything that wasn't a Decker.
But yeah, Dragonfall. Great game, incredible atmosphere, great story and characters, clunky but passable gameplay and no horrible endgame sections. I didn't think it would be this much of an improvement over Returns, but I'm glad that it was and I'm glad to have played both.
That said I won't even be looking at Shadowrun: Hong Kong or anything like it for a while, not sure I can handle any more RNG madness right now.
RNG shenanigans in the beginning of Hong Kong cost me precious time x__x

Shadownet

Banned
Seeing as you never finished it, the grind goes completely bonkers during the final stages of the game. Not going to spoil anything but I pretty much stayed at my house and did some store runs every once in a while for food and energy drinks since the stat decay made it so that you lost progress if you ever went to sleep.

The devs seem receptive so they might address some of the bigger issues in the near future. They already capped skills so they don't cost over 25 skill points. I got to a point where I needed 39 for my next skill and only way to get more points was doing a specific activity and fights stopped giving them for some reason.
Oh yeah, I figured it was going to get pretty bad.

The decay was increasing as well. At one point I was losing about almost 50% of my daily stat gain. It was ridiculous. I hope they fix all the problems in this game, cause it has a lot of promises. I basically live at the gym. I basically stocked up on food, train for 2 days, go to work for 1 full day, fight whenever I can. It gets old quick.

Well there's that cannot be activated outside Brazil message. I knew Capcom would wise up and add that stipulation for the Nuuvem store.

I was going to roll a new character in Final Fantasy XIV last night but then I realised that I'd have to design one. This got me thinking about how I spend a lot of time trying to make a character when I get a new game that lets me do so. Sometimes I'll be so eager to play that I'll rush the process which is a shame. I wish that more games released character builders, like Dragon Age: Origins did, before a game launches so that we can have our characters ready and jump into the actual gameplay when the game is out.

zkylon

zkylewd
he isn't begging right now tho and you're just randomly being kind of a dick ok?

don't fly off the handle over nothing, just chill

Anteater

"they sure give those master of unlocking degrees to anyone these days.."

haha i'd like to think that's part of the joke, was pretty funny to start with Jill picking the lock with Chris waiting on her and looking like he's about to roll his eyes

Ludens

Banned
Calm down, guys, and take this:
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Yury -- MB-061BA45E4C181748 - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.

t1452599292z1.png

Echoplx

Mods are just biding their time before they start banning people who openly discuss pirating the game so they can trap as many as possible right? I thought that shit wasn't allowed around here.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Mods are just biding their time before they start banning people who openly discuss pirating the game so they can trap as many as possible right? I thought that shit wasn't allowed around here.

I remember there was some game that had a bug specific to the pirated version. As soon as the developers disclosed "This bug only occurs in the pirated version" the mods banned everyone who complained about having that bug in the games OT lol.

accel

It feels weird to be reading 'I pirated a game' - 'I don't blame you' in this thread, of all threads. We kind of have people who create software products for sale here. Heck, we even have people who create *games* for sale... I am not going to fall off my rocker, but this is not classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom