• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
somehow i've played like 35 hours of terraria

as someone that didn't like minecraft a whole bunch (tho spiders were a big part), it's kinda funny how much more fun i've found terraria thanks to having friends to play it with

All this XCOM talk reminded me of this gem.

so mean

Dsyndrome

Flawless Victory!

Dr. Vahlen fucking jinxed me now. praising my exemplary performance hoping all future ones are the same

Great success!

Aloth's always the first motherfucker to die in PoE for me. I was going to replace Kana with Grieving Mother when I found her, but he's pushing me to rethink.

I'm playing through Ys VI, and while the game is great (except that platforming with awful punishments if you fail...), I'm having constant graphical issues. The game runs fine (can be minutes or hours), but at some point everything that moves starts to screw the graphics...

Can you elaborate more on the graphical issue or take a screenshot?

Nordicus

as someone that didn't like minecraft a whole bunch (tho spiders were a big part), it's kinda funny how much more fun i've found terraria thanks to having friends to play it with
I never could get into Terraria because 3D spelunking >>> 2D spelunking for me

iosefe

Uncredited Male is MVP with 3 kills for the second mission.

Best shot goes to Crabbits, who actually killed something with a pistol

Mission successful, but not without cost. Crabbits is out for 23 days...but he earned his rest

I also like terraria better, I mostly played alone too but it was just a lot more enjoyable than minecraft, i guess cause it had bosses and the art was more appealing than what minecraft has going on

Nordicus

Time for our first Mission as named units
zpxlxli.jpg
Needs more Fizzlebeef

Dr.Acula

Banned
Recommend you any movie? No matter year of release?

Crimson Peak, The Prestige, Equilibrium, Predestination, The Pianist, Prisoners, The Fountain, In Time, The Terminal, the Ides of March, The Kingdom, Zodiac, Gamer, The Eagle. Maybe there is something on there you haven't seen.

Oh man, Equilibrium, that's a really underrated movie. Fun time.

I mean, the freaking "gunkata?!" So stupid... but it WORKS!!

Shadownet

Banned
got a good drone kill from the roof top in overwatch, only kill of that mission, but it helped

currently a run and gun assault
Hung Lo, always got chu man. I like it, run and gun.
Oh man, Equilibrium, that's a really underrated movie. Fun time.

I mean, the freaking "gunkata?!" So stupid... but it WORKS!!
It really is quite underrated, my guilty pleasure. You can just tell they really had a lot of fun with that movie. I ALMOST want to see a sequel of it, almost. Because the way it ended was more than good enough for me. Though, i'd love to see more "gunkata", shit was insane.

Recommend you any movie? No matter year of release?

Crimson Peak, The Prestige, Equilibrium, Predestination, The Pianist, Prisoners, The Fountain, In Time, The Terminal, the Ides of March, The Kingdom, Zodiac, Gamer, The Eagle. Maybe there is something on there you haven't seen.
Gamer is terrible. You can safely skip that one.

iosefe

third mission is a crash within city limits.

scary stuff. i guess i'll pause for now.

i've got room for like 8 more names tho. a lot of women

Tizoc

Watch some animated movies too
Off the top of my head here are a bunch of recommendations
Iron giant
Rango
Road to el dorado
Movies satoshi kon worked on
The raid movies
Tony jaa movies

drakaenae

ModBot said:
Instructions for drakaenae:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (drakaenae, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Kraven Manor -- MB-C5B21DF9B36F2180 - Taken by xGreg
Memories Of A Vagabond -- MB-A9176D628B9BF147 - Taken by texhnolyze
Fearless Fantasy -- MB-8C31A84AE1BEF15D - Taken by Belgarion
Vertical Drop Heroes HD -- MB-7D01D7D68C84CA0A - Taken by Majukun
Cubetractor -- MB-9A0C058E4ADCB6B3 - Taken by dave is ok
Spoiler Alert Collector's Edition -- MB-4E5EF2387FFC7656 - Taken by Loptous

Copons

We as a subset of the overall userbase are probably huge outliers, so our data will need more comprehensive checks in order to sift through and create meaningful results. But as JShack mentioned, those of us with 800-2000 games have given Valve a lot more data to pull from, and that's something they should improve their system to utilize. Even a few simple tweaks to be mindful of choices made during the exploration queues themselves would go a long way to improving quality of life for those using it.

For example - I have a lot of interest in Visual Novels being on Steam. I'm glad when it tells me there are others coming, especially when I come across one I wasn't aware of before. But during the Winter Seal, the discovery queue had the audacity to suggest a Sakura title to me, despite the fact that I had already refunded Chariot's spitegift copy when we were testing out the gift refund process, and said I was not interested in the game then. After checking "Not Interested" on the first Sakura title, the queue then continued by asking me if I was interested in every single other Sakura game on the service, one right after the other. You'd think after the second one, it would understand I might not be interested in any of those particular games and stop suggesting them to me. Those are the sort of easy changes that should be made up front, with more extensive taste evaluation coming in over time.

Easier said than done, absolutely! But if Valve wants to keep moving towards an automated storefront, this is the big fish that needs catching now while they've got people's attention on the discovery queue.

(sorry for the late answer but timezones and sleep and stuff)

As for the first part, my point is that while it's true Valve has a so much info about us with a lot of games, it's undeniable that most of it is wrong!
We spend the whole year throwing crap into our libraries, and then we expect that an algorithm understands that our actual taste doesn't like crap.

Of course it's possible, but even Google, supposedly the #1 master of this kind of things, struggle with suggesting meaningful things from a huge amount of random data (ie. Google Now - that mostly works great for me - keeps giving me links about soccer stuff, even tho I don't give a damn about soccer, but sometimes check if there's a match at the stadium near me to avoid traffic).

As for the second part (bar the part where it keeps suggesting you a series you esplicitly told Steam to avoid -> that's a functional bug), that kinda makes my previous point, if you remember what I said earlier!
I mean, as far as my quick glance on your profile was concerned, you were much more into FPS than VN.
Of course, I just checked your first bunch of games and it took me only a couple of seconds and no statistical analysis, but still!

Bottom line is that I think this all discovery queue thing is inevitably sort of broken for us, and we should have data about how it works for "casual" players (as in: people who actually have an easy-to-parse buying habit, with an actualy favourite genre and no bundle trash) to see if it's actually broken for everybody or just has a hard time understanding us.

accel

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (blackcrane, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Realms of the Haunting -- MB-31625407BEDC561A - Taken by Jack The Nipper. 1 entrants total.
Litil Divil -- MB-027C109AB0166F0E
Why So Evil 2: Dystopia -- MB-6F74255044E2D364 - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 1 entrants total.
Desert Thunder -- MB-F72EC1D914430518 - Taken by UnderWaterTree

t1452583032z1.png

accel

Bottom line is that I think this all discovery queue thing is inevitably sort of broken for us, and we should have data about how it works for "casual" players (as in: people who actually have an easy-to-parse buying habit, with an actualy favourite genre and no bundle trash) to see if it's actually broken for everybody or just has a hard time understanding us.

FWIW, it wasn't long ago (something like a year) when I had very few games, all shooters, and at that time I thought the suggestions in the queue were pushing me into other genres, it looked pretty random. Now I have many more games of many different genres, and it stays random. Sum total, if there's any tuning for the games you play / prefer, it's so subtle that I can't feel it.

pahamrick

FWIW, it wasn't long ago (something like a year) when I had very few games, all shooters, and at that time I thought the suggestions in the queue were pushing me into other genres, it looked pretty random. Now I have many more games of many different genres, and it stays random. Sum total, if there's any tuning for the games you play / prefer, it's so subtle that I can't feel it.

The only issue I have with the discovery queue is how it handles recent wish listed items. Example, over the sale I wish listed two visual novel style games. My next three discovery queues were almost entirely visual novel stuff.

It reminded me of why I stopped bothering with it in the first place, I tend to find more interesting things mentioned here in the steam thread.

Dsyndrome

Apparently Amazon Prime is doing preorder discounts. Tempted by the Day 1 Edition of Dark Souls 3, but I want the damn game on PC. Why couldn't you do like Bethesda did with Fallout and give me a Steam key with the physical release, From? Are there even any discs for PC being sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom