• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

So much for being able to play Hardline for Free.
Still it's not necessarily a bad idea, especially since they can add games from others to the vault.

Haunted

Daily Tembo the Badass Elephant 75% off
Midweek
  • The Park/The Secret World up to 66% off
  • JOTUN 40% off
Tembo and Jotun are both flawed games, but there's definitely something to recommend and something to like there for both of them.

For Tembo, if you like the slightly "rigid" style of fast-paced platforming that's very close to the 2D Wario platformers with an art style and colour choices reminiscent of Viewtiful Joe and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, this might pique your interest. A platformer straight out of the Dreamcast/Gamecube era.

For Jotun, if Banner Saga didn't give you enough of that nordic mythology vibe, the game constantly namedrops all manner of fun deities and creatures. It's faithful to the source material. too. Most importantly though, it's got a lot of heart, ambition and isn't afraid to go for it with a surprisingly - pardon the overused word, but it's definitely appropriate here in its original meaning - epic scale that befits the nature of these tales and concepts.

That's pretty shameless.

Grief.exe

I've been a frame of mind in building PCs as you should go well over your calculation due to how PSUs lose performance efficiency as they approach their maximum allotted output.

You can see performance/noise/thermals are all correlated. So as you approach the maximum power your system actually heats up, the noise levels increase, and your efficiency decreases dramatically.

It's probably a value proposition that won't resonate with people at the top of their budget. If you can't sneak in a better PSU and stay under your budget, then that money would be better spent elsewhere. If you have some wiggle room it would be a good investment and something to keep in mind.

Hot-ECE_575px.jpg

Hot-AT_575px.jpg

Hot-SPL_575px.jpg

Pretty sure that's average usage (read: not while gaming with everything turned on)
CPU TDP is also calculated on "average" usage and not under full load, which can be 1.5-2 times the TDP value, especially when overclocked.

I've never looked into that exact data, but that is an interesting piece of advice to be aware of.

AHA-Lambda

How long does it take for games to turn up in EA Vault?

I may as well just pay £4 any month something I want to play comes up =/

So much for being able to play Hardline for Free.
Still it's not necessarily a bad idea, especially since they can add games from others to the vault.

Why would you be able to play it for free?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So I want to name my characters from XCOM after not doing it for almost the whole 30 hours I've put into this game.
So do you want to make some suggestion?

Here's a template with sex, class, rank and nationality use it to suggest your name for the trooper.
Rank | Sex | Class | nationality | [Your suggested name]

Soldiers who need names:

Colonel | Female | Assault | Canadian | [Your suggested name]
Colonel | Male | Heavy | Chinese | [Your suggested name]
Colonel | Male | Sniper | French | [Your suggested name]
Colonel | Female | Assault | American | [Your suggested name]
Colonel | Female | Heavy | Russian | [Your suggested name]
Colonel | Male | Support | Scottish | [Your suggested name]
Major | Male | Mech | Canadian | [Your suggested name]
Captain | Male | Support | Canadian | [Your suggested name]
Captain | Female | Sniper | Australian | [Your suggested name]
Sergeant | Female | Mech | Spanish | [Your suggested name]
Sergeant | Female | Assault | Scottish | [Your suggested name]
Sergeant | Female | Heavy | Argentinian | [Your suggested name]

Haunted

Pillars of eternity was 2015 no? Wonder why that isn't higher on people's goty lists.
It's such a good game.

Broke my heart when I removed it from my list. A classic #11 that might be on there if I had finished my list on another day.

rtcn63

According to guru3D, the Windforce 970 eats up 160-170w on full stress. Even with a serious CPU OC, total system wattage was 280w.

The GTX 670 pulls 150w. I think I should be fine, since I've been running a stock Windforce 670 for three years.

Dr Dogg

That's a pretty shite offering for Origin Access compared to what they do on Xbone. Where's TitanFall or Garden Warfare in the Vault? Surely by now they've exhausted every avenue for someone to buy them by now so why not chuck them in your subscription service to try and get the player counts up (plus GW has microtransactions as an addition revenue source). Also £3.99 a month but no £19.99 for the year equivalent has me not even interested as that's way too steep for me considering what they're offering and the ginormous back catalogue of EA titles they could just throw in there.

Anyways on a less grumpy note my 990's turned up today and fuck me if they're not the most comfortable headphones that have ever grace my bonce. So comfy I could just go to sleep in them. As the locals here would say they're gert lush!

So I want to name my characters from XCOM after not doing it for almost the whole 30 hours I've put into this game.

Here's a template with sex, class, rank and nationality use it to suggest your name for the trooper.

Soldiers who need names:

Sergeant | Female | Assault | Scottish | [Your suggested name]
Sergeant | Female | Heavy | Argentinian | [Your suggested name]

Ctrl + F "Sniper"

Captain | Female | Sniper | Australian | Boss

You're welcome.

Jawmuncher

I'll probably pay for a month in February. If they offer 10 hours for Mirrors Edge, I should be able to beat it in that time. Then I'll play Hardline I guess. Cheaper then going to redbox.

That's a pretty shite offering for Origin Access compared to what they do on Xbone. Where's TitanFall or Garden Warfare in the Vault? Surely by now they've exhausted every avenue for someone to buy them by now so why not chuck them in your subscription service to try and get the player counts up (plus GW has microtransactions as an addition revenue source). Also £3.99 a month but no £19.99 for the year equivalent has me not even interested as that's way too steep for me considering what they're offering and the ginormous back catalogue of EA titles they could just throw in there.

Anyways on a less grumpy note my 990's turned up today and fuck me if they're not the most comfortable headphones that have ever grace my bonce. So comfy I could just go to sleep in them. As the locals here would say they're gert lush!

They make a big deal of Cancel anytime, so I guess they figure they'll have more onesies than anything.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
9 days left for SteamGAF voting? Cool. Means I can still finish Ori and Undertale in that time.

Probably around halfway with Ori and as it stands now it's my goty pretty much, I love everything about it. Except the fact that some items are apparently missable. Big sin in a metroidvania

Zeknurn

Garden Warfare is on the list?

I count 15 games in the vault which is hell of a deal for just 3.59€ a month.

So I just purchased Origin Access - apparently, I've got access to a ton of games now. Like the DA:I Deluxe Edition. This seems... really odd. Like someone said, it feels like they're devaluing their products. $6.50 Canadian a month seems like a crazy good deal.

This is the incentive I need to play DA:I.

Knurek

Pretty sure that's average usage (read: not while gaming with everything turned on)
CPU TDP is also calculated on "average" usage and not under full load, which can be 1.5-2 times the TDP value, especially when overclocked.

That's the first time I ever hear something like that.
Total Drawn Power doesn't seem to imply 'maybe not total, depending on what you're doing'

All of the benchmarks I've read seem to put 970 drawn power on load at 150-170 Watts, depending on make/model.

Jawmuncher

Though I guess it will depend on Mirror's Edge, since they don't want people beating the games in the Trials.

Unravel
Who knew being a piece of yarn could be so dangerous? Try the first two levels for up to 10 full hours with the Play First Trial. See game details.

Master those two levels. Understandable though, the game is at most 6 hours.

Kriken

Though I guess it will depend on Mirror's Edge, since they don't want people beating the games in the Trials.

Master those two levels. Understandable though, the game is at most 6 hours.

Wait, seriously, they're going to put a cap on how much of the game is available? I hope it's just the case for Unravel since it'll probably be a short game or just misinformation

I assume access to these games is cut off if you cancel your membership, right?

If they're doing exclusive demos for Mirror's Edge and ME Andromeda, I'm totally down for the year.

Jawmuncher

Wait, seriously, they're going to put a cap on how much of the game is available? I hope it's just the case for Unravel since it'll probably be a short game or just misinformation

It's probably just for Unravel due to it's length. Since Trial Time is cumulative not you start the app and better play for 10 hours straight.

Vamphuntr

Pillars of eternity was 2015 no? Wonder why that isn't higher on people's goty lists.

It was good but not great? I beat it when it came out but was disappointed with the encounter designs. It felt more Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate 2 which was quite a negative to me.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Pillars is #1 on mine as well. I would put Xenoblad Chronicles X at #1, but that isn't on Steam so here we are.

Soldiers who need names: