• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Spooky's House of Jump Scares - Karamari Hospital DLC

Spooky's House of Jump Scares was an interesting game for me, I enjoyed it but it was definitely crippled by glaring repetition of repeating rooms and same-y monster encounters (most monsters were tackled by the art of running viciously through randomized rooms with a few exceptions), a flaw that made the game feel like it was dragged on a bit longer than it should of been. Spooky's DLC piece, Karamari Hospital, is maybe the highlight of the whole SHoJS experience, and worth it for anyone who found enjoyment in the title.

Basically this whole DLC being a love-letter of sorts to Silent Hill (to the point the credits even end off in a, "Rest in Peace, Konami," message amusingly at the end), the game takes place right before the end of the main game in some sort of alternate storyline. Right before you take the elevator to the final five rooms of the original, the elevator instead breaks and crashes far beneath the house into a strange abandoned hospital that Spooky, "Forgot was even here." In the hospital, we follow the story of several doctors who experienced strange phenomenon with their patients and operations, and learn a bit more about the backstory of Spooky.

ss_5c80e5b0c69888cde2bdd4d7d15fbe2312aadea0.600x338.jpg

The DLC is completely centered around this hospital location, and its better for it. You go through creepy hallways, patient and office rooms, and disturbing basements, as you unlock doors, escape monstrosities, and try to find your way out of the hospital. The atmosphere in this DLC is really quite immersive, the music is undoubtedly Silent Hill-inspired but it works quite effectively, and the change of pacing to the rest of the game makes it so that you may not really know what to expect even if you beaten the main game. More than this, the DLC has some ingenious scare tactics, and presents you with five new monsters never encountered in the main game. More-so, since the DLC is not made of random rooms, the areas you encounter them in have thought put into them, and as a result, much more memorable and tense encounters with much better design than the main game. You can tell the creators have learned things since the original game, and have put it into practice here.

The more condensed experience makes a much more memorable one that avoids the repetition pitfalls of the main game, the story is more interesting being set in a single location to further develop its characters from notes, the monsters are twisted and more varied than the main game and present unique threats in unique locations, the scares are in my opinion much stronger than the main game, the music in the DLC really stood out to me with some fantastic pieces, and while its Silent Hill inspiration is obvious (along with some other nods, like a police officer enemy you encounter probably being based off of a Shibito from the Siren series), it is a good love-letter, and a fantastic piece of DLC for SHoJS.

ss_1a4982fc62c56c6811b72a1b3e7aa86b7fbb2fa0.600x338.jpg

The one downside to the DLC is length. The DLC will probably take you 45-60 minutes to complete, but as the main game is free and the DLC doesn't pad itself out like the main game and in many way exceeds the original, I think is worth it for any fan of the game. Of note, once you complete the game, you unlock New Game+, which I do recommend trying. It has some hidden secrets to uncover, and the secrets are a delight to find, as well as Spooky's outfit changes for it.

All in all, an incredibly solid piece of DLC for Spooky's House of Jump Scares which, in many ways, triumphs over the main game. With a more focused experience comes a more memorable and creepy one, and a fantastic continuation of the world of Spooky's Home.

---

Steam Review: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/414150

I'm finding super meat boy to be a lot less frustrating now than it was 6 years ago or so. Maybe I'm more patient of a player but at least the main stages in the game aren't giving me a headache

I think my recent playthrough of crash 2 for the first time reinstilled the virtues of patience or something

Shadownet

Banned
I don't know if these sort of posts are frowned upon, but on days like today when I'm feeling depressed I like to organize my library, finding artwork for some of the new games I have purchased.

I like to do this but I feel like it would take too much time.

I'm sure it's great, but the perfect gaming controller for PC is $100 cheaper.

To me it was worth the money for sure. I just said it, because I was on the fence about it until I heard a few people rave about it and bit the bullet and got it. And I'm super glad I did, so hopefully if anyone else is on the fence about it, maybe I can help someone figure out if they really want it or not.

Not only can't you not activate DD:DA when bought on Nuuvem not it says for Resident Evil 0 that it is restricted only for Brazil. Yup, Capcom lurks in this thread.

I'd say the perfect controller lets me have a decent chance at playing any PC game without the need of extra software

I'm with nabs, the steam controller is so damn versatile that now that I'm used to it I have a hard time going back

rtcn63

I use a PS3 controller because I have smaller hands. That's it. I've love a steam controller but from what I've read, its really only for normal sized humans.

fertygo

I don't get the hype for The Division, the setting is boring.

At least with Destiny, looting all those robot ish armor does looked addicting.

The DS3 is like a controller made by aliens who have never touched an actual controller in their lives and needed to keep up appearances so they tried their hardest and came up with the DS3.

The 360 controller is seriously the perfect controller in my opinion.

The DS3 is like a controller made by aliens who have never touched an actual controller in their lives and needed to keep up appearances so they tried their hardest and came up with the DS3.

The 360 controller is seriously the perfect controller in my opinion.
Dat dpad though

The newer xb1 controllers with the fixed bumpers and 3.5 headphone jack is probably the best standard controller on the market now. The ds4 has terrible battery life and the cheap sticks are peeling off all of the time.

Steam controller is my preferred controller at the moment though it's not perfect. It's good enough to retire my 360 pad for PC at the moment though.
Isn't DS3 is just bigger DS2
It has mushy convex triggers and the sticks are both convex and much too close. It's okay but there are better pads out there now

I'm interested in The Division as far as wanting to play it but that's about it. If I can get a Beta key once it ever starts I'll try it out but it's not a game that's on my "got to have immediately" list.

Grief.exe

I'm interested in The Division as far as wanting to play it but that's about it. If I can get a Beta key once it ever starts I'll try it out but it's not a game that's on my "got to have immediately" list.

Grief's guide to cheating the system:

That was easy.

• pre-order PC Physical. (Offer does not apply to digital content.)
  • PS4/XBO physical work too.
  • Doesn't charge your card until Amazon ships.
  • Immediately sends you an email with activation code.
  • Activates on Division website, attaches to your Uplay account.
  • Took less than one minute.

Theoretically you can cancel your pre-order at any time, but I'm going to wait until after the Beta.

cAuAJ1b.png

oipic

yo i just won a graphics card from the alienware stream

Nice one, dot - congrats! Lenard and co still have pallets worth of 780s to giveaway at some point, so you'll be running a couple SLI-style before too long, I hope.

I've been playing a few hours of SOMA recently, and I'm enjoying everything but the monsters. What are your thoughts on this mod that makes everything non-hostile? Very tempted to use it just to experience the great environment and story.

I haven't played the game myself but I asked my friend (who loves SOMA) whether I should use it. He told me there are certain points later in the game where this mod could hamper the experience.

Alternatively, you could enable god mode in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom