• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahamrick

supportalert76srm.jpg

Hmm.

Uh oh. Wonder if they're starting to crack down on certain things.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Oil Blue: Steam Legacy Edition -- MB-FA734B1CBEC65E06 - Taken by dave is ok. 3 entrants total.
Door To Door -- MB-539DF23FDF718187 - Taken by SSPssp. 4 entrants total.
Wanderlust: Rebirth -- MB-3204771AF27E5710 - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Way to Go! -- MB-8CDB6F5CC46CF02C - Taken by Knurek. 2 entrants total.
Among the Heavens -- MB-287B7E6D53453EDA - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Hook -- MB-E3BDBE27B40DB84C - Taken by 73V3N. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Planetary Annihilation -- MB-2B1CC59B8E1B8F33 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.
SimpleRockets -- MB-B33C1356B7802B09 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Island Defense -- MB-76FCE686EF5071A0 - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.
Survive Me Miolhr -- MB-2091CC68FF75B10B - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-A1538E6C8E75D8CE - Taken by Lobogris. 2 entrants total.

t1452722800z1.png

take more than one

Guess AMD won't let me redeem my DIRT Rally code so now gotta ask Newegg for a refund. While I understand what they have to do, I'm so glad I don't own anything AMD anymore.

Well that's more what you'd want than what Squenix are prepared to offer and a middle ground would be somewhere in between that and what we currently have (in theory). I mean sure I'd have preferred IV Complete Collection over the DS versions (even if they're better as a challenge to play than the other versions of IV) but I seriously doubt something on the scale of that effort will ever happen with a PC release. For example how much did the PSP version cost to produce? Obviously a whole lot more than any of the classic ports but would it be in the range that Squenix would get a profitable return on investment? Who knows but when IV TAY, V and VI are currently sitting at 10k, 16k and 18k respectively on Steamspy then at most has only pulled in £140k for VI which to me looks alright if you're just porting a previous title but not really enough to start something from scratch and hope long legs will push you to profit.

well, it doesn't help that the remakes have been shunned by most FF fans on the platform.

If they rereleased either the original SNES versions of IV-VI or had done the V-VI remakes more along the lines of the PSP remake of FFIV i would've snapped those games up, no questions asked.

They went cheap on those ports when they already had a good version. I'd argue that with 4-6, they ported the wrong versions. they made their bed, now they lie in it.

If they ever did port the PSP FFIV remake over, man, i would be there day one.

Waitasec... why did they add a hockey mask to the chainsaw?
ineveraskedforthis.gif

I was wondering that myself.

i took that from the steam community screenshots so maybe that's a mod? I cant say, i dont own the steam version of FFVI

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what did you do

The only recent thing that would look out of place is that I had a bunch of failed transactions when I was doing my Winter Sale splurge because my card was blocked but I initially chalked it up to server issues.

Jawmuncher

The only recent thing that would look out of place is that I had a bunch of failed transactions when I was doing my Winter Sale splurge because my card was blocked but I initially chalked it up to server issues.

That probably is the issue then. At least that should get sorted out. Still sucks though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So how would folks prefer Squenix brought over their older FF titles? Rewrite them from scratch? Without really knowing the production budget for not only the PC releases but the mobile versions they've derived from I feel it's a bit disrespectful to call any effort lazy. Low effort sure but from looking at what both IV and VI do a bit intimately and a little bit more of V they all are running on their own framework and not a license or royalty free emulator made by someone else. Now while there are hints to what framework was used to package them (certain dlls and such) who knows how much effort this was to create for each game and costs involved. End of the day would more effort really make the experience that much better for you? There's obviously a middleground somewhere and sure we all have an idea what we expect for our purchase but either side outright bashing the other doesn't do anyone any favours.

Maybe "lazy" was a bit too harsh, since like you said they're running on their own framework and it's not like we got the GBA ROM packaged with a straight up emulator although I know some people would have preferred just that.

the middle ground was the PSP FFIV remake. If they had stuck to that, i think everyone would be fine with it and there wouldn't be this toxic thing where we're getting something akin to the Special Editions of the Star Wars original trilogy

It's got just a wee bit of the smoothing that V and VI has but overall, it's a pretty faithful remake of FFIV.

I agree with this completely. I think Square Enix's goal with V and VI was to "modernize it for the next generation of gamers" so they decided to increase the pixel density for things like character models (which ended up looking terrible) and enemies (which ended up looking amazing) so overall I think they were headed in the right direction. Where the wheels fell off, as Grief has pointed out several times, is that the art direction in these games was incredibly inconsistent. IMHO, if the people responsible for remaking the enemy graphics were also responsible for making the character models, we would probably have a much better looking game.

Another thing that would have helped would have been to make the character portraits dynamic rather than static - or even to have left them out all together. For example:

Seems pretty good. But the game uses that portrait now whenever that character is speaking and the emotional range the characters are trying to convey isn't really representative of their static portraits. In addition to being static for each character, they are also a third competing art style on the screen that helps to throw off the whole experience.

By contrast, even though the PSP version of IV only has one portrait per character, the art style is consistent with the rest of the game and it comes across looking very nice.

The other point to be made is something that can be similarly drawn from parallels to the Star Wars movies being "remastered". Their original goal was to modernize these games and I don't think anyone is arguing that it's important to not only preserve these games on PC but also to introduce them to a new generation. However, in doing so they've isolated the game's original fans and polarized them. My son played the remake as his "first experience" of playing Final Fantasy VI, and he really liked the game. I was happy that he was able to enjoy it, but also kind of sad that the changes SE made to the game gave it a fundamentally different artistic tone than the original I grew up with.

Fans are still crying out for Square to make a "PSP-like" version of 5 and 6, and since their cries aren't being heard they're turning to the PC modding scene to make it happen. Which is kinda great because it's produced some work like this:

which, in my opinion, looks pretty good and does a pretty good job of matching the overall artistic tone of the rest of the game.

Ultimately I think the "middle ground" your after would have been letting players choose whether or not they wanted the "original graphics" or the "enhanced graphics" when playing the game. Obviously since we've found a byte-for-byte copy of the GBA game in the data, all of the original sprites and graphics are already present but without modding we have no way of playing the game using them. Adding an option to toggle between the two styles at-will would have gone a long way to alleviating people's complaints.

Finally, I feel like these games are near and dear to most of us older Final Fantasy fans, and the general consensus is that Square Enix did as little work as possible on them in order to release them on iOS/Android (and eventually PC) rather than give them the attention to detail that fans of the game would have liked. There are similar fears that pop up in the FF7R threads here on GAF, and I think a lot of that fear stems from how badly fans felt like they were treated with these mobile releases - as a cash grab rather than a labor of love.

Wasn't "Operation Black Mesa" the Opposing Force conversion for Half Life 2?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=german&id=133377565

Seems to me that "Wilson Chronicles" is something different. I think it's conversion of the Half Life 1 mod of the same name
http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-wilson-chronicles
Yep, I was just excited seeing the setup was similar to opposing Force. And thanks for the two links. Doperino!
Oh man, so sorry buddy. Hope it's not gonna lead to a falsely banning/no further purchasing on your account and gets cleared quickly.

7000+ games are cool but I know how much you like getting high :(

The Final Fantasy VI PC port is even lazier than we ever could have imagined. So apparently, encrypted in the game's main.obb file is a copy of the GBA ROM which the game uses for things like enemy AI, tile placement, weapon stats, dialog, etc. It's like they literally put a "fresh coat of paint" straight on top of the GBA version of the game. Then added a bilinear filter to the characters and called it a day. Crazy.

I'm speechless

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

playing every Assassin's Creed game is pretty fraudulent to be fair. You were fine up to Black Flag, but then you went and played Unity...like come on, no legit person plays Unity.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
JaseC, I hope you can get those account issues sorted out. I think your picture plays into most of our fears here when it comes to digital purchases - we're really at the mercy of the content provider. With any luck Steam support will eventually set you straight, sorry you've gotta put up with that.

JaseC, I hope you can get those account issues sorted out. I think your picture plays into most of our fears here when it comes to digital purchases - we're really at the mercy of the content provider. With any luck Steam support will eventually set you straight, sorry you've gotta put up with that.
Hm, just started wondering how much time it would take Jase to download and make an offline backup copy of his entire 7000 games...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Jase, whats happening to you is a perfect manifestation of every fear for an all digital future. I hope it all gets sorted bud.

MUnited83

For you.

Hm, just started wondering how much time it would take Jase to download and make an offline backup copy of his entire 7000 games...
To be fair, at least Valve doesn't ban anymore. They just restrict some features but you get to keep your library, and the standing is temporary. Any other platform and he would be shit out of luck.

Mikurden

ineveraskedforthis.gif
As I recall, there was always a random (fairly small, I think) chance that the animation would be with the chainsaw and mask rather than the more common sawblade-type attack. I don't think it did any more damage or anything different but was just a little Easter egg joke.
chainsaw.png

jshackles

Banned for 999 years like on PSN and XBL

This is exactly what happened to my Xbox Live account in 2008, on an account that had about $2,000 worth of purchased digital content. Support was a complete waste of time and after a few weeks I ended up just giving up and vowing to never purchase another Microsoft console again, which I haven't.

A couple of weeks ago I inquired to see if the ruling could be overturned, but nobody in Xbox support even knew how.

Dr Dogg

well, it doesn't help that the remakes have been shunned by most FF fans on the platform.

If they rereleased either the original SNES versions of IV-VI or had done the V-VI remakes more along the lines of the PSP remake of FFIV i would've snapped those games up, no questions asked.

They went cheap on those ports when they already had a good version. I'd argue that with 4-6, they ported the wrong versions. they made their bed, now they lie in it.

If they ever did port the PSP FFIV remake over, man, i would be there day one

Maybe "lazy" was a bit too harsh, since like you said they're running on their own framework and it's not like we got the GBA ROM packaged with a straight up emulator although I know some people would have preferred just that.

If you think about it, feasibly rewriting any of the 2D FF's to modern architectures and API's wouldn't really be that much of a stumbling block. There's fantastic documentation on how both the NES and SNES work and hopefully Squenix aren't as careless as some others with their sourcecode that getting a compilable version up on PC or whatever could be achievable relatively economically. If you were a porting house that should be your dream, to be tasked with bringing much loved classic games to new platforms and given the sourcecode and any supporting documentation to work with so you can give it the best possible treatment. Problem is though your are guaranteed to run into a fucking load of bugs in the process that you're going to have to account for and when we're talking about 20-30 hour games too that's when it crosses over into the realms of time more than effort. So maybe emulation is the safe option? You bundle up a version already been through QA and the only bug testing you need to handle is your wrapper rather than the game itself.

Though looking at III, IV, IV TAF & V versus VI I'm starting to get the feeling that while previously the PC version where kind of as an afterthought and just emulated android versions straight up (which I guess might make them emulation-inception) VI seems to be their framework ported over directly to work natively with Windows. I guess when IX is out there might be even more clues since that was announced for iOS, Android and Windows all at the same time and on the Sys Reqs on Steam it is listed as a DX title rather than OGL like al of them before. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a packaged PS One emulator of somesorts.

Jawmuncher

This is exactly what happened to my Xbox Live account in 2008, on an account that had about $2,000 worth of purchased digital content. Support was a complete waste of time and after a few weeks I ended up just giving up and vowing to never purchase another Microsoft console again, which I haven't.

A couple of weeks ago I inquired to see if the ruling could be overturned, but nobody in Xbox support even knew how.

Did you ever make a thread about it?
I think that might help.

Vamphuntr

ineveraskedforthis.gif

It's was always there. It has a low chance of happening and has an instant death effect instead of doing damage. It's awful when it happens during boss battles because it misses.

jshackles

Did you ever make a thread about it?
I think that might help.

No, although I did send Microsoft a dispute with request for legal arbitration which they have not yet responded to. Legally speaking, they have 90 days. If I'm still not satisfied with their response I can request arbitration be done at my local courthouse, all at their expense. I'm not sure I'll even bother, as I've more or less accepted the injustice years ago.

Jawmuncher

No, although I did send Microsoft a dispute with request for legal arbitration which they have not yet responded to. Legally speaking, they have 90 days. If I'm still not satisfied with their response I can request arbitration be done at my local courthouse, all at their expense. I'm not sure I'll even bother, as I've more or less accepted the injustice years ago.

You should bother. You already sent the paper work.
Maybe they'll settle out of court and give you your account back AND a free Xbox ONE with games. I mean if it'll be on their dime, what do you have to lose?
Plus it would make for a cool GAF thread.

kurahador

So...Marlow Briggs is pretty good God Of War ripoff, at first. Then I wish it stops using the stop motion cutscenes already.
Totally destroyed most of the fun I've had in the beginning when they start using it.

Jawmuncher

So...Marlow Briggs is pretty good God Of War ripoff, at first. Then I wish it stops using the stop motion cutscenes already.
Totally destroyed most of the fun I've had in the beginning when they start using it.

For the budget and price of a dollar it's not too bad. But yeah some things can end up kind of grating with it.

I’m currently winding down after a long journey. My days are peaceful; it’s what I’ve always dreamed of. I hope these days last a long time.

But I’m always looking to push myself, to better myself. Sometimes I get the urge to put my life on the line again and test my limits.

One day, not so far in the future, I will be out there again, in a world of strife. But I won’t be the same person I was before. I will return to my origins, like a Mobius strip, but it’ll be a new me, one who has evolved.

This is either the worst Dissidia plug ever or Lightning is a reincarnation of Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom