• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

Sounds like a lot of people aren't prepared to pay full price.

That Xbone exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider seems to get worse all the time.

That Xbone exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider seems to get worse all the time.

nO5SiV6.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
...I'll probably be buying it pre-release. Want to play it, and the first DLC being horror-themed sealed the deal of being getting the season pass version.

FauX

Also posted on giveaway thread. Happy new year.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FauX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed -- MB-CA6E95C438B0B663 - Taken by MissChief. 3 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-BE7288671790F678 - Taken by Catshade. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-A1FF7CB543D3ACC0 - Taken by oipic. 36 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Remember Me -- MB-897CDDD40E1711F4 - Taken by skullmuffins. 29 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess Lilith Pack -- MB-7C61ECF84F567F1B
Vanguard Princess -- MB-4B30D8DD84606D7F - Taken by GWX. 2 entrants total.
Resident Evi 5 -- MB-3D935688CF008C4A - Taken by Marow. 14 entrants total.
Raiden 3 -- MB-51E9EDA6AE60273A - Taken by Nudull. 11 entrants total.
REVOLVER 360 RE:ACTOR -- MB-15B03035A90F4AFB - Taken by S1n1st3r. 8 entrants total.
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae -- MB-1CF60A881DAF43FC - Taken by ramoisdead. 15 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess Hilda Rize Pack -- MB-F806E9B922FFABE0
t1cxE6r.gif
LOST PLANET 3 -- MB-FA292D0B6F39561E - Taken by Dubbedinenglish. 20 entrants total.

t1452026571z1.png

Kriken

I personally blame it more on how SE prices their games over time, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $10 by the end of the year or be put in a bundle by Summer 2017. Only reason I buy SE games at launch is if I have a hankering to play it right away, I don't in this case

Jawmuncher

Once again thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.

-----

As for Rise of the Tomb Raider, I loved the hell out of it on X1. So much so that I did about every achievement outside of 100% and score challenges. This is coming from someone who wasn't really a big fan of the reboot. The game is well worth 60, if not it'll easily be worth whatever nvidia lets go for. Also the preorder stuff is indeed relatively useless, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Tizoc

The x1 exclusivity got nothing to do with it.
It could've been a PS4 exlcusive and we'd have the same sentiment;
$60 is too much.

Parsnip

I'm actually perfectly fine with 50€ price and would buy it as such, but since cheaper options will be available, I'll wait.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
getting very close to just cheating my way to richness in rebel galaxy ( assuming there is such a cheat, I cant imagine there isnt)

the game turns very grindy very fast, and the idea of gridning low level quests that give fuck all money so you can buy the upgrades that let you do the missions you want isnt very exciting. Tbh the economy of the game seems fucked, unless the idea is to make a 20 hour game turn into a 100 hour game, in which guess...I guess congrats?

shame because I was really high on it until the last few hours

Ban Puncher

The x1 exclusivity got nothing to do with it.
It could've been a PS4 exlcusive and we'd have the same sentiment;
$60 is too much.

What I'm getting at is people would of been prepared to pay full price if it launched simultaneously multi-format. It's now considered an 'old' game that you can find heavily discounted for the Xbox One so being asked to fork out new release money this late is hard to swallow for some.

getting very close to just cheating my way to richness in rebel galaxy ( assuming there is such a cheat, I cant imagine there isnt)

the game turns very grindy very fast, and the idea of gridning low level quests that give fuck all money so you can buy the upgrades that let you do the missions you want isnt very exciting. Tbh the economy of the game seems fucked, unless the idea is to make a 20 hour game turn into a 100 hour game, in which guess...I guess congrats?

shame because I was really high on it until the last few hours

I'm starting to hit the grindy part myself, I have all the upgrades I can really get for my current ship, but trying to get enough money for a better ship itself is taking a long time, maybe I'll look into cheat engine to give me a little bit of a kick start, and also having to rank up in the merchants guild to get the option to buy some of the better ships from them is kind of lame.

This doesn't apply to Lost Planet 3, you don't need to buy it at all if not bundled for 1 dollar like happened sometime ago :D

I can't think of any scenerio were Lost Planet 3 would have a Game of the Year edition, so you're right lol.

Pachimari

gonna finally settle down and play max payne 3. I played Max Payne 1 back on the original xbox (it was a surprising really well done port) and played through MP2 last year with the widescreen fixes and an xpadder profile.

Just wondering if I'll end up liking MP3 since i've played the first 30 minutes several time and found myself not really feeling it much

I loved Max Payne and Max Payne 2, but Max Payne 3 feels like such a drag. It's just so plain out boring. Give it a proper chance though, and see if it'll grow on you. Just don't expect the gameplay to evolve much from what you start out with.

This is a surprise to me. And yet another good one!

Apparently I am late for my own birthday, but I have come to make up for that.
(To everyone who gave me birthday wishes earlier in the thread and elsewhere thank you)
Happy birthday muncher! Enjoy your day. :)

Small bundle giveaway:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- There's no need to thank me (I edited this one, wasn't sure how to change it via modbot).
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rhiannon -- MB-79A003E09BF70856 - Taken by titch. 1 entrants total.
Dark Matter -- MB-F5E7F0DF6A464DCB - Taken by GaussTek. 2 entrants total.
Biology Battle -- MB-5CD4852F5FF6CDB9
Schein -- MB-E32789B05BF96679 - Taken by Zeeman. 2 entrants total.
Starion Tactics -- MB-AFD1EC0088BFC8A0 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
The Silent Age -- MB-609E8C16E89731D1 - Taken by Creamium. 3 entrants total.
Hektor -- MB-E75CBFE9992F719A

t1452027831z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm starting to hit the grindy part myself, I have all the upgrades I can really get for my current ship, but trying to get enough money for a better ship itself is taking a long time, maybe I'll look into cheat engine to give me a little bit of a kick start, and also having to rank up in the merchants guild to get the option to buy some of the better ships from them is kind of lame.

im close to 20 hours, the stores have like MK6 upgrades now, and Im using MK2 still, the "proper" quests that give decent money (not even alot mind you) in these later systems are ridiculous with green lasers flying everywhere.

reading up on it apparently there were trading exploits and they jacked up the economy, so...great. Like I said, I was super high on it until recently, now its just not fun anymore, getting to the "why am I doing this?" point. Its a shame because I thought the upgrade path was decent until now, but all of a udden it just jacks up without the rewards keeping up

Dusk Golem

Coming from a background of loving horror games, there's a certain type of 'jankiness', for lack of a better word, that can be endearing and fun actually.

Which is separate from another type of jankiness that's just bad.

I think somehow these two things need to be separated, though even describing them is hard. A more common example I could give is Deadly Premonition, which if it was a more polished and 'better' game, I almost feel it would take away some from it, there's certain charming aspects to it jankiness. And many games with a layer of jank that also have some heart in them and are quirky and enjoyable I find usually makes a pretty good combination.

MUnited83

For you.
60A5F6621D96211929B041F2DAC1D6075A1FB48C

GIF brought to you by this post that is relevant to the threads discussion.

Daily deal is The Fruit of Grisaia ,50%off.

Can't break this loophole, can ya?
1D3429F1CF9703703255DF4F5531F3BE2A8E6921

Dusk Golem

60A5F6621D96211929B041F2DAC1D6075A1FB48C

GIF brought to you by this post that is relevant to the threads discussion.

Daily deal is The Fruit of Grisaia ,50%off.

Can't break this loophole, can ya?
1D3429F1CF9703703255DF4F5531F3BE2A8E6921
I found the anime very appealing, was MUCH better than I was expecting, will pick up the game sometime most certainly.

im close to 20 hours, the stores have like MK6 upgrades now, and Im using MK2 still, the "proper" quests that give decent money (not even alot mind you) in these later systems are ridiculous with green lasers flying everywhere.

reading up on it apparently there were trading exploits and they jacked up the economy, so...great. Like I said, I was super high on it until recently, now its just not fun anymore, getting to the "why am I doing this?" point. Its a shame because I thought the upgrade path was decent until now, but all of a udden it just jacks up without the rewards keeping up

Yeah I read that too about them messing with the economy, I'm stuck on MK2 upgrades too, but they are still the best things in the store. I haven't even jumped out of the starting system yet at 10 hours, I think I'll risk it to try and get some extra money somehow, I feel like I'm getting over leveled for the quests I'm taking now and the credit seems to cap out at about 15,000~ in the starter area which sucks.

On top of that, mining is pratically useless unless you can find gold ingots, everything else just isn't worth the time.

Uzzy

Squeenix want to treat us like second class gamers with Rise, so I'll treat their game like a second class one. Easy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom