• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. I have a passive 3D TV and it's great, but at least where I live it's far from being mainstream. Our local theater just got a 3D screen about 6 months ago, and nobody ever wants to go. I was able to get tickets to Star Wars in 3D like 2 weeks before it came out, when every other theater for 100 miles was sold out, just because most people didn't want to see it in 3D. So I guess I'm not so optimistic about 3D being here to stay.

As for the Playstation event, get ready to cringe.
That's...slow, pretty much every first rate theater in Taiwan got 3D in 2009, your area has just been exposed to the tech, give it time. I would not be surprised if movie studios start removing 2D option in the future, it has already started with IMAX.

That VR demo looked like something put together in the last minute by a group of interns, or maybe that graphics is the best thing PS4 could do with the required VR resolution and FPS. Either way, VR has been used on existing games and it works great, I think the tech is here, all it needs is the push by mainstream game companies.
Hi Steam-gaf I'm a newbie venturing over from the steam sale thread hoping to join the ranks. A little info about me, been a pc gamer for about 3 years now, have a little over 400 games in my library, play about every genre.
Welcome, I hope you'll have a great time here.

Arthea

Hi Steam-gaf I'm a newbie venturing over from the steam sale thread hoping to join the ranks. A little info about me, been a pc gamer for about 3 years now, have a little over 400 games in my library, play about every genre.

oh hi there! I already like you!
In this divided world, there are only us who need to carry harmony, balance, tolerance and understanding on our shoulders and bring light of knowledge to ignorant.

don't worry, not much carrying is done around here, I'm just kidding

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Welcome to the steam thread.
We buy a lot of games and complain about bundles.

Endruen

For me, it's either buy a 970 and free up some USB ports or build an entirely new box. The former I can afford, but I don't like fucking around inside my tower unless I need to (I have a history of bad luck). A 670 should be fine for like watching movies right? VR games I'm guessing are still in their infancy, so I can wait until steady income is a thing again.
I have a 670 and I play nearly every game in ultra.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I remember you from the sale thread, hope you enjoy your time here. Discussion tends to jump around a lot, but with an open mind it can be quite fun and informative, and at heart many posters are otakus kind and quite giving. I find it to be fun and hope some of the newcomers do too.

gonna finally settle down and play max payne 3. I played Max Payne 1 back on the original xbox (it was a surprising really well done port) and played through MP2 last year with the widescreen fixes and an xpadder profile.

Just wondering if I'll end up liking MP3 since i've played the first 30 minutes several time and found myself not really feeling it much

Ban Puncher

Fuck Yakuza

wMmhIJw.gif

Dusk Golem

Shh, we're trying to ease him in.

(Also seriously it isn't that much anime stuff, much more VN and JRPG talk though. Was a lot of anime reaction gifs in the beginning because stuff.)

Fuck Yakuza, bring the rest.
Yakuza is a series I want to get into, so it coming to PC would be great incentive for me (though there are many titles I would like to see more personally, I will say).

Fuck Yakuza, bring the rest.

Everything on that list but Yakuza and Vanquish is future Sega humble bundle trash.

Give me that Yakuza series pls Sega.

People bitch about sequelitis and games not innovating, then you see shit like this, if the Neogaf majority had it's way, every game with a sword would have Dark Souls gameplay.

Dusk Golem

I have never played a Yakuza game :-/ One of my shames, next to never playing a Silent Hill
In fairness, neither are on Steam.

No, Silent Hill Homecoming does not count.

...Oh, I can't stay mad at you Homecoming. Sure you're the worst main Silent Hill game, but you're still a pretty okay game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's...slow, pretty much every first rate theater in Taiwan got 3D in 2009, your area has just been exposed to the tech, give it time. I would not be surprised if movie studios start removing 2D option in the future, it has already started with IMAX.

That VR demo looked like something put together in the last minute by a group of interns, or maybe that graphics is the best thing PS4 could do with the required VR resolution and FPS. Either way, VR has been used on existing games and it works great, I think the tech is here, all it needs is the push by mainstream game companies.

Well to be fair I live in a pretty isolated location, I used to have to drive "into the big city" to see 3D movies (and still do sometimes for IMAX stuff). You'll have to ask Dusk Golem about how popular they are there. And I guess the 3DS is pretty popular, though most people in my circles keep that 3D slider at "off" besides turning it on occasionally for the novelty. I'm also the only person I know that owns a 3D TV. But I will admit, the tech is impressive and has certainly come a long way since I was a kid going to the theater with red and blue glasses.

Maybe VR will be the same, and the tech will have finally caught up with things. When I was a teenager I owned a Virtual Boy and even had this funky "VR headset" that hooked up to my SNES and played my SNES games "in virtual reality!" (hint: it was just two tiny screens close to your face). Found a video of it.

Personally, I'm more interested in AR (augmented reality). Give me Google glass or hololens over PSVR or Vive or Oculus any day.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In fairness, neither are on Steam.

No, Silent Hill Homecoming does not count.

...Oh, I can't stay mad at you Homecoming. Sure you're the worst main Silent Hill game, but you're still a pretty okay game.

I was really disappointed when it turned out that the SH HD collection was a big mess. I would've jumped on that, but apparently they ruined that

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Some Rise of the Tomb Raider downsampled shots:
siberia_01_4kjpph5.jpg
syria_01_4k1wolq.jpg
tombentrance_01_4k44qyu.jpg
Damnit. I'm sold.

I had a strong love/hate relationship with TR 2013 but I love exploring these sort of environments.

And now for something not completely different; Ori and the Blind Forest is a masterpiece, i'm falling in love with Pillars Of Eternity, epilepsy fucking sucks, AC: Syndicate's Victorian London is a joy to explore and the most fun i've ever had with an AC game (even though Jacob's a schmuck) and it's insane how large and incredible The Witcher 3 is.

So, that about recap's the last five months of my life.

Howya doing SteamGAF! :)

Dusk Golem

I'm not sure what a Miku is nor do I want to know, but I guess I am. I just really want to play Yakuza.
Oh dear, I can already tell where this is going.

4ed8eb0e9f3bb3f8ce7b1f499aeb6ed41427897609_full.gif

It's a Japanese vocal system that uses syllables recorded from Japanese voice actors to be constructed like musical notes in music. It's grown insanely popular especially among female audiences even out of Japan, the voices ib the system each have a anime-esque character tied to them, Miku was the first if these and the main character one. It's called Vocaloid, and SEGA has the license to make the Vocaloid games.

Oh dear, I can already tell where this is going.

4ed8eb0e9f3bb3f8ce7b1f499aeb6ed41427897609_full.gif

It's a Japanese vocal system that uses syllables recorded from Japanese voice actors to be constructed like musical notes in music. It's grown insanelg popular especially among female audiences even out of Japan, the voices each have a character tied to them, Miku is the main one. It's called Vocaloid, and SEGA has the license to make the Vocaloid games.

I know who she is, I was just joking around. My mouse pad and body pillow has had her on them for years now.

Welcome fellow video game buyer and player. :)

Welcome, I hope you'll have a great time here.

oh hi there! I already like you!
In this divided world, there are only us who need to carry harmony, balance, tolerance and understanding on our shoulders and bring light of knowledge to ignorant.

don't worry, not much carrying is done around here, I'm just kidding

Welcome to the steam thread.
We buy a lot of games and complain about bundles.

I remember you from the sale thread, hope you enjoy your time here. Discussion tends to jump around a lot, but with an open mind it can be quite fun and informative, and at heart many posters are otakus kind and quite giving. I find it to be fun and hope some of the newcomers do too.

Welcome, always nice to have new people around :)

Hello!
What is your favourite anime?

Thank you all for the warm welcome. My all time favorite is Pokemon with Mobile Suit Gundam close behind.

Kriken

I do, I wish I didn't, but I understand it

The Witcher 4 should star Ciri or really anyone other than Geralt. Thats the only thing it needs

I haven't gotten deep enough in Witcher 3 to know her character all that much, but if they made sidequests as interesting in 4 as they are in 3 for Ciri specifically, I'd be okay with that

Dusk Golem

That's a nice surprise, I'll buy it when I have some excess money.

I know who she is, I was just joking around. My mouse pad and body pillow has had her on them for years now.

Oh myyy, missed the sarcasm. XD;
And if the body pillow and such are sarcasm or not

I'd play Yakuza on PC too, but I'd rather have Vanquish and RoF first, to be honest.

I woukd too, but I'd be fine with anything. I really was Ressonance of Fate or whatever its called, it looka very interesting to me.

I'm watching videos of Dragon's Dogma to decide if I should but it... Still unsure. Should I?
I love Action RPGs, but I dislike almost everything Japanese.
I had the opprtunity to play DD for about 3hrs on PS3. It really feels a lot more European/medieval than Japanese. Honestly I never got reminded of anything that it's by Japanese devs. Combat and setting is superb so you should give it a try :)
Less than a day and this thread already needs to be burnt to the ground.

Nice job.
image.php

Welcome! Please add your Steamprofile link to your Gaf-Profile so people can add you on Steam as well. Or just post it here.
Not even close.
Sheesh.
IGcDS4o.gif

Sober

People bitch about sequelitis and games not innovating, then you see shit like this, if the Neogaf majority had it's way, every game with a sword would have Dark Souls gameplay.
Yeah, but don't you think this FMV adventure game could do with some Souls-style combat instead?

Jawmuncher

Apparently I am late for my own birthday, but I have come to make up for that.
(To everyone who gave me birthday wishes earlier in the thread and elsewhere thank you)

bd84onb.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jawmuncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Last days of spring -- MB-A360D2DF4C4DC797 - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ #2 -- MB-DC930D542B619198 - Taken by goober. 1 entrants total.
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi -- MB-3F89AC71C50489C2 - Taken by Kyougar. 5 entrants total.
dUpLicity -Beyond the Lies- -- MB-23C57382BDD8A564 - Taken by Jazz573. 1 entrants total.
faviconuvuwz.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series (TELLTALE DRM) -- MB-99A7A3F4D028AFA2 - Taken by Xanathus. 2 entrants total.
BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope For the Young Century -- MB-D9CEFC80D1D9199F
t1cxE6r.gif
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-688833F461CF6500 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
The Last Remnant -- MB-7CC486A752A45173 - Taken by NicoNizza. 1 entrants total.
Lara Croft & the Temple of Osiris -- MB-300293C992D3A015 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 23 entrants total.
Just Cause Collection -- MB-FA1A2F19BF4620F8 - Taken by TheAutomator. 2 entrants total.
Betrayer -- MB-02A17D654DACEE8F
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Square Enix DRM) -- MB-3A2B31A2C84B9DC7 - Taken by Intel. 2 entrants total.
Blue Rose -- MB-31A88457D5404794 - Taken by chronomac. 2 entrants total.
Life Is Strange - Episode 1 -- MB-1AA4B777F81DCA36 - Taken by Ozium. 2 entrants total.
X-note -- MB-4639EAC73626F19E - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
faviconuvuwz.png
Tales from the Borderlands (Telltale DRM) -- MB-00A9C7592640F48F - Taken by neoemonk. 2 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-1C09B78A72352118
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ -- MB-C8FAF980F0E76A0C - Taken by Large Professor. 1 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-C8023831FA232F6D - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 1 entrants total.

t1452024172z1.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jawmuncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.
dino2bcrisis38kbt.jpg

IOU Dino Crisis when it comes to steam -- MB-1A4E79CD9EAD78FE - Taken by bigzgod Trivia Question: Entering the first office can be such a pain until you use your?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom