• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Humble disappoints again.

Great bundle for people starting on PCs, rest of us should have all the games already. :\

I feel like this is always going to be an argument for a lot of us here. We typically buy great games when they launch, because we're informed consumers and we typically make good decisions about what we spend our money on. So it's almost a catch-22 for us when it comes to high end bundles like this one and some of Bundlestar's offerings: none of us can deny that it's a great deal, but a lot of us are disappointed that the deal isn't targeted to us.

For us, the best bundles are those that have good, underrated games that we didn't buy at launch. Last year's bundle with Contradiction is a good example. This latest Humble Bundle will probably be the deal of the year for people who don't already own Xcom and/or Civ games but have had them on their wishlist forever.

I think it's unrealistic for those of us with hundreds (or even thousands) of games on our Steam account to expect every bundle to contain quality games that we would have bought anyway which we don't already own. At least that's the realization I came to when I stopped buying bundles last year. I realized that 99% of bundles usually fell into the category of a) having good games I (mostly) already owned, or b) having bad games that I don't already own. It's very rare for me to see a bundle that doesn't fit either of those classifications.

Uzzy

Rising Tide should have been included in that bundle.
Fail...

Probably. I mean, I'd pay more if I didn't get keys for Beyond Earth, so I don't have to deal with the stigma of owning it, but Rising Tide certainly improves on the base game.

Are you cereal?

The version of the character in Rise is superior in almost every way.

If she's still written by Rhianna Pratchett and voiced by Camilla Luddington, I really doubt that!

I think it's unrealistic for those of us with hundreds (or even thousands) of games on our Steam account to expect every bundle to contain quality games that we would have bought anyway which we don't already own. At least that's the realization I came to when I stopped buying bundles last year. I realized that 99% of bundles usually fell into the category of a) having good games I (mostly) already owned, or b) having bad games that I don't already own. It's very rare for me to see a bundle that doesn't fit either of those classifications.

Exactly. For someone new, there's thousands of hours of gaming available in that bundle for not much more than the price of a coffee. If they add in the Civ 5 expansions, then it's an insane deal for anyone who doesn't own those games. But us here on SteamGAF, we're in the 1% of people on Steam who own practically everything, and when something we want comes out, we'll typically buy it at launch or in a sale, well before it reaches Humble Bundle fodder.

pahamrick

I feel like this is always going to be an argument for a lot of us here. We typically buy great games when they launch, because we're informed consumers and we typically make good decisions about what we spend our money on. So it's almost a catch-22 for us when it comes to high end bundles like this one and some of Bundlestar's offerings: none of us can deny that it's a great deal, but a lot of us are disappointed that the deal isn't targeted to us.

For us, the best bundles are those that have good, underrated games that we didn't buy at launch. Last year's bundle with Contradiction is a good example. This latest Humble Bundle will probably be the deal of the year for people who don't already own Xcom and/or Civ games but have had them on their wishlist forever.

I think it wouldn't be so disappointing personally if it wasn't for the fact that each game isn't a separate code. I'd be a little more inclined to drop the BTA price for a single game if I could give the others I already have to friends / GAF.

MUnited83

For you.
guys... it's 2 codes.. wtf.

Lol, I just wanted the dlc for Xcom. Not buying this then.

To be fair, you don't need to "buy at launch" to consider recent Humble Bundles quite "eh", because they have been consisting of games that have either already been bundled or had several dozen deep sales before it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The Witness Price and Pre-Orders

http://the-witness.net/news/2016/01/price-and-pre-orders/

But server is down.

I should have anticipated a $40 price with all of the factors surrounding the game's development and years of polish, but I was hoping it'd be a few hairs lower anyways. Guess I'm gonna need to wait for Firewatch's price reveal before I start picking which games will make it onto The List in this super busy Q1 block.

Hektor

Somehow in those character editors, i always end up making the same character.
EclwLV1.jpg

vGNzMOP.jpg

I don't really care about Blackdesert Online, but i hope other games in the future use the same editor, it's very easy to use, yet still offers a lot of options.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To be fair, you don't need to "buy at launch" to consider recent Humble Bundles quite "eh", because they have been consisting of games that have either already been bundled or had several dozen deep sales before it.

Well, that and the fact that a lot of the stuff (especially usually in the lower bundle tiers) are things that have been 75% off or more on Steam or any number of sites several times in the past, which is typically when a lot of people here who are even remotely interested in the game will buy it.

I guess "buy at launch" might not always be the best term. Maybe... "Buy before it gets put in a bundle".

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Unofficial Halo Online mod adds six new maps from Halo 3

It's good news and bad news for fans of Halo Online, the free-to-play shooter that's only available in Russia, and the hacks that enable it to be played elsewhere. The group behind Eldewrito (the component of the Eldorito mod that allows it to go online outside of Russia) recently announced the release of the 0.5 version of the mod, which includes all the new maps included in the latest official release of Halo Online. But they also said that it will be the last major release of the mod created by the original team.

“We have decided to focus our collective efforts on an entirely new project called Anvil Online, which is a mod for Halo Online that has different design goals from ElDewrito. We will do our best to keep you updated on our progress on this project. We will create another post later with more details on the project,” the Eldewrito dev team wrote on Reddit. “We welcome the community to continue our efforts in the meantime, while we work hard to bring you the best experience that we possibly can.”

The new release adds six new maps, all from Halo 3—High Ground, Last Resort, Narrows, Standoff, The Pit, and Sandtrap—plus IP banning and increased audio channels, from 64 to 1024.

In a bit of an ironic twist, while Eldewrito continues to operate, the official Halo Online was reportedly taken offline in December. A translated message posted in the same thread said the shutdown is temporary, but it also includes an offer of refunds for in-game purchases, suggesting that it could be some time before it returns.

Kifimbo

Most of these games were already bundled. Bundles like this should be Weekly Bundles, not main ones.

Zeeman

BTA unlocks:

X-COM: Terror from the Deep
X-COM: Apocalypse
X-COM: Interceptor
X-COM: UFO Defense
X-COM: Enforcer
Sid Meier's Civilization V: Scrambled Continents Map Pack
Sid Meier's Civilization V: Scrambled Nations Map Pack

Source: SteamDB

Not even Civ V complete? OK, that's pretty weak.

Eila

XCOM vanilla was free, as was Civ V.
I kinda wanted this, but not now that I have so many repeats. Hopefully next time the games are bundled they're sparate keys.

Grief.exe

Are you advocating for developers to take a massively reduced margin on their title as soon as they release or near release?

jshackles

Most of these games were already bundled. Bundles like this should be Weekly Bundles, not main ones.

Humble Bundle is a business, as is Firaxis. In this instance one is offering the other a prime spot on their website in order to increase profits for both. This bundle is focused heavily on XCOM and Civilization. Obviously they are hoping to drum up business for XCOM 2 as well as the Beyond Earth Rising Tide DLC. I'd actually be more surprised if this weren't a "main" bundle.

louiedog

Ahh, Life is Strange is updating 4 gigs! Come on!

My 4.1 GB download finished. Now it's downloading 2.9 GBs.

edit:

Additionally, we're today releasing patches that will unlock the extra subtitles (Spanish (Mexican & Castilian), Brazilian-Portuguese, Portuguese, German and Italian) as well as the Directors' Commentary to all digital edition owners.

So subtitles and probably some other stuff.

Sch1sm

Yeah, I have no incentive for this bundle. It isn't bad, though. If anything, the only thing I'd like out of it is that Rising Tide coupon, and even then at $20 USD after the coupon. No thanks.

Maniac

Banned
So... Why hasn't anyone bought me Dragon's Dogma yet? I need some Dragon-y Doge goodness.

... Yeah I'm as broke as usual.
Thanks.
6.22GB.

The good thing about this character creator is, that you can actually create good asian males and females with it. If you look at the ones that resembles my wife in Dragons Dogma, Fallout etc. they look like monsters....

I mean, for all I know she too could look like a monster. I've only seen half her face and that's with yours stuck to it!

... I do recall some of the wedding photos, and being absolutely stunned by how beautiful chinese wedding photos are.

I mean, god damn...

Kuroyume

Banned
Wish they would change the BYOB publisher daily during the humble store sale. Want to see Capcom there so I could pick up Duck Tales and a bunch of other stuff, but looks like they change it every two days or something? Don't care for Doublefine or Daedalic.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
did they actually do anything to the game? i know they did quite a few different things on the RE HD remake. I have not payed any attention, even tho i picked up the game earlier. haha

Well they added Wesker mode, a ton of costumes for Rebecca (Two for Billy.) , they updated the character models, tweaked some effects to make some scenes look better, improved lighting, and since they had all the assets they re rendered the backgrounds in proper HD.

brau

Well they added Wesker mode, a ton of costumes for Rebecca (Two for Billy.) , they updated the character models, tweaked some effects to make some scenes look better, improved lighting, and since they had all the assets they re rendered the backgrounds in proper HD.

oooh. that does sound promising.

I understand, its just slanted that she didn't compare how the character has evolved with the times. Even then, most of her examples of females are from fairly old games. I agree with her point and message but her choice of examples really hurt her argument.

I guess.

Tomb Raider 2013 still has the just-above-the-knee camera angle with form-fitting garments. Using it as an example for the fact that it was rebooted to look this way is like saying, "Hey everyone, it got marginally better."

Should that really be lauded? I'd think the discussion would be served better showing characters that were not overly sexualized and maintained a respectable progression of personality that a lot of people identified with, like the Life Is Strange example.

Granted, the dialogue in that game is so bad that I still can't bring myself to go back to it.

fertygo

I never player classic RE before and tempted to buy 0 because they made Rebecca so cute ;__;

But I already missing the costumes at this point :(

I never player classic RE before and tempted to buy 0 because they made Rebecca so cute ;__;

But I already missing the costumes at this point :(

the costume packs are already up to buy so if you want them then that's how you'd get them

$2.99 each pack of 2 costumes (costume for each character)

edit: strike that...pack 1 and 2 have one costume each character...3 and 4 are just for Rebecca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom