• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Sounds about right if you've followed his chatter on Bloodborne. He thinks it's a cool little experimental sequel but removes way too many elements from Souls and straight up ignores things that were already fixed since Demon's.
I'm actually a bit concerned that DS3 will not include many of the improvements DS2 made over DS1.

Durante

I don't see it.
  1. Denuvo doesn't rely on any driver-level component, so it circumvents the compatibility/longevity issues of Securom in that regard.
  2. Denuvo actually works.

Of course, an actually working anti-tamper solution is very problematic in itself, from a preservation and modding perspective.

By far the shittiest thing about Denuvo is how completely oblivious they are about their shitty products in the past

Sony DADC DigitalWorks team, the team that developed best-of-breed copy protection systems like SecuROM for games and Screen Pass for movies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm actually a bit concerned that DS3 will not include many of the improvements DS2 made over DS1.

Yeah it just feels like a giant step backwards, I do hope they didn't go full bloodborne as I like my RPG mechanics from souls including a big amount of variety in weapons.
I want a good aRPG not a good action game with a few RPG mechanics.

EDIT:I might add that DS2 is my favourite game in the series. Love DS1 but for other things mostly.

Phinor

Denuvo has no kernel-level/privileged components.

Can Denuvo cause issues in the future with operating systems that don't exist today (but that will have support for existing Windows software)? Does it work with Linux emulators? I'm always very suspect of these things but if it works as DRM (as it seems to do) and has literally no drawbacks, I guess I might be fine with it.

Actually no, I still won't like it.

Durante

That's hard to say with any certainty.

What can be said definitely is that it doesn't have no drawbacks, because any anti-tamper solution will prevent modding (which can also in turn hamper preservation, quite a few old games can only be run on modern systems with community fixes after all).

Mivey

The more prevalent Denuvo gets, the easier it will to analyze its working, though. Even if it might not produce a method to crack games in any interesting time frame, it could be used to circumvent it years down the line.
I say this, because as far as I understand, their strongest asset currently is the fact that no one seems to understand how exactly it works, only basic principles. In cryptographic terms, the best systems provide security by assuming the attacker knows everything but the (private) key and even then you can always bruteforce a key by going through all possibilites (and use intercepted encrypted messages, which is not the same as "breaking" it). I'm sure the same holds for Denuvo, assuming they even use cryptographic methods.

Here I am, feeling like a badass as I slice through giant Oxes that used to outright obliterate me...I enter a chamber full of sorcerers casting spells that hurl tornadoes and suck me in towards it.

No problem, I should be able to do it. Oh...there are 2 gorecyclops chained at each side too. Ok, I just have to make sure to avoid hitting them so they don't break their chains :V

Wait, what?! Random enemy spawn? Garm? Three of them? How hard could it be?

*Party gets rekt in 2 minutes as I gouge out one of them*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Play Dragon's Dogma!

rtcn63

STEAM | February 2016 - Grief-stricken

I dreamed that I installed RoTR. Like I was going through the video settings, but I for some reason couldn't change the res past 720p so everything was blurry. Also it was raining inside.

I dreamed that I installed RoTR. Like I was going through the video settings, but I for some reason couldn't change the res past 720p so everything was blurry. Also it was raining inside.

STEAM | February 2016 - Grief.exe has stopped working.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Sounds like a nightmare :O

Maniac

Banned
I feel like g-sync is the next big upgrade I'd like to have, but I just can't see spending anywhere close to what those monitors cost, and it doesn't seem like the type of tech that will ever make it into budget or low end monitors.

I dunno man, some of the Acer and AOC models are dirt cheap.

Hektor

Played an hour of Evoland 2 and am really liking it. Feels like a proper and fun game as opposed to evoland 1 which felt like a techdemo for Evoland 2.

Sounds like a nightmare :O

Are you calling 720p a nightmare? Get off your high horse you elitist!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What did you guys think of Oxenfree? Worth the 20 bucks?
It depends on what you like in games. Oxenfree's strengths are having the player soak in the atmosphere of the environment and its snappy dialogue system that is perfectly suited for a group of teens exploring a place they probably shouldn't. I love that kind of stuff and the game's length being around 5 hours fit my needs perfectly (weekend completion? Yes please) so I would absolutely say it was worth the $20 for me. I'm not so sure it will be for most people though. I'm having trouble suckering some of my Steam Familing Sharing family to check it out :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That Evilore post is all kinds of wonderful. It actually makes me excited to go play the rest of Witcher 3 and has me ready to pick up Bloodborne on the next sale. It was pretty obvious that Bloodborne was locked in for GOTY on this site after the multiple absurd threads about the game getting robbed. People weren't going to let it lose again.

Tizoc

That Evilore post is all kinds of wonderful. It actually makes me excited to go play the rest of Witcher 3 and has me ready to pick up Bloodborne on the next sale. It was pretty obvious that Bloodborne was locked in for GOTY on this site after the multiple absurd threads about the game getting robbed. People weren't going to let it lose again.

I mean you could still call that post wonderful just because of the vernacular that he used :V

massive chalice for 4 bucks is really nice if u want something xcom-y while you wait for xcom2

It's a great price for it, people should try it.

Love the age aspect in this. I just finished a battle with two 67 year old greyhaired female caberjacks leading the front line. Retirement age? Bah! :)

I mean you could still call that post wonderful just because of the vernacular that he used :V

The timing of it was spot on, as is this:

image.php

Knurek

Durante, have you played Trails ever since you switched to Win10?

For some reason, ingame framelimiter doesn't seem to work on Win10, resulting in game running at 125 fps (with obvious stuttering on 60/120 Hz monitors)

Forcing the VSync from NVIDIA control panel doesn't work at all.
Doing so with Afterburner/RTSS combo works, but results in random juddering (despite Afterburner not reporting any frametimes higher than 16.7 ms).

I must say I'm stumped by this. Not much help from XSEED here as well, other than suggesting to enable Hardware Vertex Shader on Steam forums (which doesn't help at all).

Just curious if you have the same problem or if you have any idea what could cause this.

Jawmuncher

For some reason, ingame framelimiter doesn't seem to work on Win10, resulting in game running at 125 fps (with obvious stuttering on 60/120 Hz monitors)

Doing so with Afterburner/RTSS combo works, but results in random juddering (despite Afterburner not reporting any frametimes higher than 16.7 ms).

I must say I'm stumped by this. Not much help from XSEED here as well, other than suggesting to enable Hardware Vertex Shader on Steam forums (which doesn't help at all).

Just curious if you have the same problem or if you have any idea what could cause this.

I have the same problem and have just been playing with it like that. Would like a fix though.

Anustart

Beat Olmec for the first time in Spelunky. Took me 106 tries to get there. Made it to olmec, died, next run beat him since I knew what to do.

I did wander into an alien ship a couple runs back, time to hit that path up!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

I have the same problem, one of the reasons I haven't finished it yet :/

MRORANGE

Okay for February recommendation so far....

Tales of Symphonia - jshackles
Disgea - Hero Prinny
Firewatch - Grief.exe
Street Fighter V - MRORANGE

Nobody has taken X-COM 2 :eek:

Please send me an email if you would like to do a recommendation!

Tizoc

Disgea - Hero Prinny
Firewatch - Grief.exe

I'll try to PM you a write up for DanganRonpa and maybe Agatha Christie ABC murders.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Disgea - Hero Prinny
Firewatch - Grief.exe

Well then I'll gladly do a write up of xcom 2.

Man, I knew Dogg couldn't wait to share details but to just leak footage of the beta? Bad Dogg!

;)
In the few gameplay footage I noticed UI looking similar to Bloodborne and player movement looking more akin to Dark Souls 1 than Dark Souls 2.
STEAM | February 2016 - Grief.exe has stopped working.
Ruthless
Far Cry Primal will be protected by Denuvo according to EULA.
http://store.steampowered.com//eula/371660_eula_1
Ubisoft is adopting another form of DRM in denuvo.

That's 3 layers now! Steam, uPlay, denuvo.
Not a fan of that. Steam DRM should be the only one. All others hurt customers more than pirates. Boo.

Disgea - Hero Prinny
Firewatch - Grief.exe

There's also Danganronpa. If that isn't taken then i'd like to do that one!

Uzzy

Disgea - Hero Prinny
Firewatch - Grief.exe

Aww, I was going to do SFV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom