• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just need sunset overdrive to not come out for maybe another 6 months so i can play my xb1 version and not feel like a chump for not waiting for the pc release. Just picked the game up over the holidays so bear with me, everyone, i think Insomniac might be checking my cheevos before making the announcement

Online co-op you mean right?

Yeah, there's no local.
I wouldn't make use of it anyway, don't have anyone to play with.

really? I thought it looks like a candidate for new Korra type of game, meaning not bad, but nothing special either.

I don't see why it wouldn't be as good as Transformers which is a great game.
I think this art direction goes really well with this franchise.

Sch1sm

I strongly disagree about Braid and Limbo, they aren't bad games, but they aren't puzzle games, well, maybe puzzlelite or something and Braid is definitely a platformer. If you don't see yourself enjoying it, you probably won't. I never finished it, well maybe I still get back to it, but I doubt it.

That's most puzzle platformers, though. They have the elements, but they aren't full on puzzlers. At least, most of the popular ones aren't.

It'd be loads more productive to offer an alternative, I'm just saying.

For example, In Between is one. It's on sale at the Humble Store right now for their winter sale. Its mechanics are similar to The Bridge in terms of the whole gravity deal.

i just need sunset overdrive to not come out for maybe another 6 months so i can play my xb1 version and not feel like a chump for not waiting for the pc release. Just picked the game up over the holidays so bear with me, everyone, i think Insomniac might be checking my cheevos before making the announcement

It's not even a long game. Why haven't you played and finished it yet?

Jawmuncher

Best thing about Braid

e2xhd.png

e90Mark

Dr Dogg

One day genre and cross genre classification is going to become so reductive everything could be labeled interstorygrams. What does that even mean?!?!? And I just coined that phrase.

Ban Puncher

There isn't going to be a sequel to Transformers: Devastation, is there? I heard something like 16k sold on Steam. Man, I wanted some Jazz and Astrotrain.

EIEJ7gm.gif

Jawmuncher

Transformers Devestation is a slow burn. It's probably selling decent on consoles where it's standard price is like 20-25 now. When it starts hitting bargain prices on steam it'll be fine. I don't think we'll see another until the next movie though.

Arthea

One day genre and cross genre classification is going to become so reductive everything could be labeled interstorygrams. What does that even mean?!?!? And I just coined that phrase.

I have very simple but elaborate genre definitions in my mind, but not ones that can be easily described. For example if a game consist of mostly thinking and little actual doing, it's a proper puzzle game, other way around, it's not a puzzle game, it's or action adventure, or platformer, etc. And if a game has RPG elements that are not prevalent, not as important for a game as other elements are, it's not an RPG, especially if little to no strategy, management and planning are involved, all my ME arguments were based on this, actually.
Another example would be VNs, if story telling is most important, largest part of a game, it's a VN, hence new Telltale games are VNs.
And no, it's not a contradiction (insert Jenks gif here) to have a perfect scheme in mind is much easier than putting it to words, especially delivering the same info and structure.

I don't see why it wouldn't be as good as Transformers which is a great game.
I think this art direction goes really well with this franchise.

maybe it's Transformers fan in me, but I can imagine Transformers game being great easily, while I have all kinds of doubts about TMNT

Well, by the time that happens, the history revisionists will be out in full force to reclassify everything out of reductive terms to true uselessness.

"Space Invaders was a pre-Destiny action-shooter non-scroller RPG, in many ways exactly like Destiny itself."

Kyougar

Let me guess. It's another 'Duck Season! No Rabbit Season!!!' discussion with the familiar faces championing their platform regardless instead of looking at the OPs situation?

- I have an expensive PC myself but a PS4 is the only way to go
- viHuGi "PS4 IS AWESOME!"
- Master Race was dropped
- if you want exclusives, go PS4
- peeps misunderstanding that he is in canada and that it cost more to build a rig.
- but all in all most are saying he should get a PC, they are just drwoned out by peeps desperately trying to seel him on a PS4

Oreoleo

Well, Braid is one of the best puzzle/platformer games you can find. That, Super Meat Boy and Fez basically launched the "indie" trend.

I think that's giving SMB and Fez way too much credit. Braid released in 2008, 2 years before SMB and 4 before Fez. World of Goo and N+ came out around the same time as Braid. Geometry Wars predates all of them, and games like Splosion Man, Trials HD, Shadow Complex and Defense Grid all came out in 2009. The indie trend was already well under way by the time SMB and Fez released.

I think that's giving SMB and Fez way too much credit. Braid released in 2008, 2 years before SMB and 4 before Fez. World of Goo and N+ came out around the same time as Braid. Geometry Wars predates all of them, and games like Splosion Man, Trials HD, Shadow Complex and Defense Grid all came out in 2009. The indie trend was already well under way by the time SMB and Fez released.

i think Ludens meant Indie Game: The Movie, not indie games as a genre. Those 3 games helped to launch that film, without them it wouldn't exist.

and he's right

Arthea

I'm not so sure about it, we are talking strictly about popularity here, because only after some becoming really popular made indies to take off en masse.
So... SMB, Fez and Braid had a big part in it, much bigger than earlier games.
That's not saying that these are better games, but they got much more of media covering, PR and attention in general, making indies much more popular than before.

Well, by the time that happens, the history revisionists will be out in full force to reclassify everything out of reductive terms to true uselessness.

"Space Invaders was a pre-Destiny action-shooter non-scroller RPG, in many ways exactly like Destiny itself."

it pains me to say, but it's funny how true it is even now, if we replace just a few things in that joke of yours.

This has to be a tech demo like Rockstart Table Tennis?

I enjoy my crazy golf games so I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I can't see it selling all that well.

that reminds me I would like a PC version of Rockstar Table Tennis...actually liked that game

(I know there's no chance of that happening though)

Dr Dogg

I don't know about you folks but I'm ready to embrace tea swilling, deerstalker wearing, Japanes/English speaking, crime solving Pikachu. Fuck that Christopher Robin look-a-like dweeb he's with though.

maybe it's Transformers fan in me, but I can imagine Transformers game being great easily, while I have all kinds of doubts about TMNT

Well as a giant turtles fan and not much of a transformers fan, I disagree. TMNT makes way more sense as a Platinum game especially than Transformers did. And that Santalouco art mmmmmmmmm....

Tizoc

There isn't going to be a sequel to Transformers: Devastation, is there? I heard something like 16k sold on Steam. Man, I wanted some Jazz and Astrotrain.

EIEJ7gm.gif

There would be a successor game, considering te small budget of the game I do believe itbroke even at least.

Hasbro has themes planned for their upcoming TF toylines which the games will reflect as well.
IIRC their next upcoming theme will involve the Primes, as there will be new toys for the Primes before Optimus such as Sentinel-
1472235738112874673.png

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/hasbros-new-sentinel-prime-toy-turns-into-a-goddamn-spa-1736235924

Knurek

3840×1080 monitors are a thing now?

why-why.jpg

I'd much rather have an existing 1080p monitor that is 144Hz+Gsynch and uses IPS (or VA).

Dr Dogg

3840×1080 monitors are a thing now?

I'd much rather have an existing 1080p monitor that is 144Hz+Gsynch and uses IPS (or VA).

Next panel anything, be it monitor or TV, I'm buying is OLED. Spent waaay too many times drooling over a few examples in PC World at Christmas not to take a punt on one to see how they stack up for various applications. Also 1080 vertical pixels? Ewwwww! I can't go back to somethign that cramped for work purposes after donkeys years of at least 1440. Chirst I had a 1920x1200 supported (and technically higher still) monitor getting on for 15 years ago now.

Next panel anything, be it monitor or TV, I'm buying is OLED. Spent waaay too many times drooling over a few examples in PC World at Christmas not to take a punt on one to see how they stack up for various applications.

OLEDs are finally past their major burn-in issues? Because while they look nice as hell, rather not have my gaming screw up my screen.

XShagrath

I hadn't really planned on trying for the "50 games" challenge, but I think I might. I've already finished four games this year, so I'm on track.

Batman: Arkham City
Squarecells
Dirt 3
DysCourse

Just need to remember to throw in a short game or two every month.

Arthea

Next panel anything, be it monitor or TV, I'm buying is OLED. Spent waaay too many times drooling over a few examples in PC World at Christmas not to take a punt on one to see how they stack up for various applications. Also 1080 vertical pixels? Ewwwww! I can't go back to somethign that cramped for work purposes after donkeys years of at least 1440. Chirst I had a 1920x1200 supported (and technically higher still) monitor getting on for 15 years ago now.

you got this OLED virus from me, didn't you?
I'll never be able to afford it, probably, even when mass produced if ever

Knurek

I'd love OLED as well, but I don't believe they last long enough yet to offset the price.
Anything other than TN, really.
1080p is plenty for me, large headroom for my GPU is a boon as well, but then, I was using 768p until 2015. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom