• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piracy Rates for PC games are often 85 to 90%. Yeah, that's actually true. ~Jon Blow

As a dev I think he has good sources? Pretty big figures.

Wait so he means 90% of PC gamers pirate games? So if a game sells a million copies does that mean 8-9 million people pirated it on PC? That seems like a stretch, also indie games I feel are pirated way less because people that know about / want to play it buy it.

dex3108

Number of Steam Threads 2015 - 13 (excluding Sale threads)

Number of Posts in Total - 240,879

Number of Unique Posters - 1,781

Busiest Month - June (2 threads, 32,307 posts)

Top 10 Posters in Total
  1. Jawmuncher - 6270
  2. zkylon - 5488
  3. JaseC - 5385
  4. lashman - 5083
  5. Arthea - 4950
  6. freshVeggie - 4094
  7. Tizoc - 4008
  8. Turfster - 3667
  9. derExperte - 3577
  10. dex3108 - 3534

Number of Posters with 1,000+ Posts - 67

Number of Posters with 1 Post - 484

Number of Posters Present Every Month - 200

Most Post Per Month
  1. JaseC - 5
  2. Jawmuncher - 3
  3. Shadownet - 1
  4. Arthea - 1
  5. Dr Dogg - 1

Number of Posts by ModBot - 1,008

Would do some pretty infographics but I'm not that bored.

I am in top 10 :D I don't know if that is good or bad thing to be honest :D

Sure, if the servers hold up. Just start a sign up form one week beforehand and we should get enough people participating.

Cool. I'm off work that week (for SF obvs) so I'd love to organise it. Hoping to get some voice chat going and try to help out people new to the game.

Wait so he means 90% of PC gamers pirate games? So if a game sells a million copies does that mean 8-9 million people pirated it on PC? That seems like a stretch, also indie games I feel are pirated way less because people that know about / want to play it buy it.

Maybe he sees some torrent downloads and jumps to conclusions?

Jazz573

Top 10 Posters in Total
  1. Jawmuncher - 6270
  2. zkylon - 5488
  3. JaseC - 5385
  4. lashman - 5083
  5. Arthea - 4950
  6. freshVeggie - 4094
  7. Tizoc - 4008
  8. Turfster - 3667
  9. derExperte - 3577
  10. dex3108 - 3534

Most Post Per Month
  1. JaseC - 5
  2. Jawmuncher - 3
  3. Shadownet - 1
  4. Arthea - 1
  5. Dr Dogg - 1

And that's the most he'll ever get.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

This is also his second(?) game, right? And his first game came out in 2008? So his first-hand information might be about 8 years out of date.

The way I understood he means that, yes.

Benedict

Nuuvem's XCOM 2 keys now can only be activated on Brasil, but if you bought the game before the restriction you'll get a region free key:

Hope Cdkeys is alright. Still says worldwide on their page, and was when I preordered so they have to keep that agreement.

Dr Dogg

They see anime gifs all over the thread and never step foot again

Well if you plot out the total number of posts per poster in a line graph you'd get a look at user participation across the board. Ideally you'd want a flat a line as possible so that each and every user has participated as much as the next. But...

9voTx1u.png

That kind of shows that around 80% of the posters in last years threads really didn't mke that much of a contribution (in quantity of posts at least) compared to the massive skew of the regulars towards the top half of the graph.

My number of posts is higher than I would have guessed given I was posting far less often as of ~the middle of the year.

Yep pretty much the first 5 months of the year your had posted way more than anyone else (hence 5 times as top poster in a thread). But after June there's a stark drop off. Hopfully you were focused on work/education/whatevs and not jaded by the rag tag bunch in here :p

Lomax

Piracy Rates for PC games are often 85 to 90%. Yeah, that's actually true. ~Jon Blow

As a dev I think he has good sources? Pretty big figures.

Worldwide, pre-Steam, maybe. And that's a huge maybe. In the US/EU? No. And idiot Devs need to stop spreading fud like this because it just pisses off potential paying customers.

If he wants to show us actual evidence and actual specific sales numbers for his games, I'll listen to him. But until we get transparency on sales numbers in this industry, as far as I'm concerned they are all deluded at best, liars at worst, and I have no sympathy for any of them, big or small.

zkylon

zkylewd
man, i can't keep up with these rpgs

i just finished pillars, i still haven't finished wasteland

pls let me liveeeeeee

hahaha that's awesome

niceeeeeeeeeee

Top 10 Posters in Total
  1. Jawmuncher - 6270
  2. zkylon - 5488
  3. JaseC - 5385
  4. lashman - 5083
  5. Arthea - 4950
  6. freshVeggie - 4094
  7. Tizoc - 4008
  8. Turfster - 3667
  9. derExperte - 3577
  10. dex3108 - 3534

Most Post Per Month
  1. JaseC - 5
  2. Jawmuncher - 3
  3. Shadownet - 1
  4. Arthea - 1
  5. Dr Dogg - 1

cmon

tiny bity pie chart with my name on it

plsss

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Worldwide, pre-Steam, maybe. And that's a huge maybe. In the US/EU? No. And idiot Devs need to stop spreading fud like this because it just pisses off potential paying customers.

If he wants to show us actual evidence and actual specific sales numbers for his games, I'll listen to him. But until we get transparency on sales numbers in this industry, as far as I'm concerned they are all deluded at best, liars at worst, and I have no sympathy for any of them, big or small.

Yes, this exactly. I mean, Steam looked like this when Braid was originally released:

and I don't even think it was on Steam until about a year later. Like you said, before Steam was "big" and certainly wasn't in worldwide markets, I'd say that's the only way those figures are correct.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well if you plot out the total number of posts per poster in a line graph you'd get a look at user participation across the board. Ideally you'd want a flat a line as possible so that each and every user has participated as much as the next. But...

9voTx1u.png

That kind of shows that around 80% of the posters in last years threads really didn't mke that much of a contribution (in quantity of posts at least) compared to the massive skew of the regulars towards the top half of the graph.

in short, it's a community on an internet forum :p

Tizoc

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Bionic Dues -- MB-BD1D8D8FA3158EEA - Taken by texhnolyze

Grab it if you want a +1 or something.

Yes, this exactly. I mean, Steam looked like this when Braid was originally released:

and I don't even think it was on Steam until about a year later. Like you said, before Steam was "big" and certainly wasn't in worldwide markets, I'd say that's the only way those figures are correct.

Braid was in one of the first XBLA summer of arcade (or whatever they called the promo) years and an XBL exclusive at first.

If TMNT doesn't have local co-op I'm gonna get it on Steam. If it does, getting it on PS4.

Has a platinum action game ever had co-op?

Anyone knows when do key retailers start supplying XCOM2 keys?

When the moon is full and you drink heavily of the blood of a Unicorn...

That's when we all got banned. Damn LinkedIn and Arkham Knight.

Not I.

My bans were at other points.

zkylon

zkylewd
man i hope that brazil-only nuuvem thing isn't a trend

things have gotten so expensive since argie peso keeps going to shit so i need my nuuvem to survive

All of those posts are about League of Legends waifus
yo i'm hurt

i'm a quality poster here

That's when we all got banned. Damn LinkedIn and Arkham Knight.
yeah fuck linkedin and all those old colombian weirdos that keep bothering me for skype interviews

MaxiLive

Dammit :(

Been hyped for The Witness for far too long, patiently waiting all day then I get home to play it and its busted for AMD cards by the looks of things.

And by busted I mean the shadows don't work so its playable but with half of its beauty missing, whats the point!

Wok

Dammit :(

Been hyped for The Witness for far too long, patiently waiting all day then I get home to play it and its busted for AMD cards by the looks of things.

And by busted I mean the shadows don't work so its playable but with half of its beauty missing, whats the point!

Please no.

I have been downloading the game for the past 8 years and I have an AMD card.

XBzvAQk.png

Yup, that was the silliest thing that has happened in here for a long time.
Goddamn was a liberating 3 weeks though.

What happened?

shockdude

9voTx1u.png

Yep pretty much the first 5 months of the year your had posted way more than anyone else (hence 5 times as top poster in a thread). But after June there's a stark drop off. Hopfully you were focused on work/education/whatevs and not jaded by the rag tag bunch in here :p
Out of curiosity, what's the cutoff for top 90%/95%/99% of posters?

Backlogger

The old 80/20 rule. 20% of posters are posting 80% of the posts and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom