• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Minotaur -- MB-E6B79C027A0543BB - Taken by SSPssp

Uzzy

Lets do this EU SteamGAF. We're going to say farewell to the old girl..

Information said:
VaOZMR8.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1455307200z0.png

What we are playing:
We will be playing in an Endless Battle.

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam

Players
  1. Uzzy
  2. Spirited
  3. Gipsy Danger
  4. Messiah
  5. *
  6. *
  7. *
  8. Jawmuncher (Temp)

Then bring in the new

Information said:
LL4e8uc.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1455652800z0.png

What we are playing:
We will be playing in an Endless Battle.

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam

Players
  1. Uzzy
  2. Spirited
  3. Gipsy Danger
  4. Messiah
  5. *
  6. *
  7. *
  8. Jawmuncher (Temp)

dex3108

Will there be The Division SteamGAF night? Just to know i don't have headset so you can yell at me and i won't be able to defend myself XD

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Okay so if I'm reading this right, this is just a launcher that connects people to an online gambling website where you buy in with real cash? Seems kinda... odd... to see this kind of stuff on Steam.

Nzyme32

In case my recommendation means anything, The Witness is great. Like a more accessible Myst that isn't a frame by frame affair ( unless you're playing one of the Myst remasters

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
In case my recommendation means anything, The Witness is great. Like a more accessible Myst that isn't a frame by frame affair ( unless you're playing one of the Myst remasters

Add my recommendation on the pile here, the puzzle design is great and the artstyle is gorgeous.
Loving the no handholding and letting you learn mechanics through trial-and-error on easy puzzles to figure out how you're supposed to use the mechanic.

Knurek

I don't want to play Trails anymore. 20 hours clocked in 4 days. I could've finished five other games in that time.

I don't want to play anything other than Trails.

Please halp.

Maniac

Banned
Hold on this is actually the 'proper' ex Criteron dev studio (sorry Hello Games) that has a lot of the early peeps. Could be interesting to see how this turns out.

Aye.

And, if they do well enough with this 'ere weird, great-looking physics driven explosions-galore game, they're going to develop a proper Burnout 3 (spiritual, duh) sequel.

So... Pls.

Ozium

Okay so if I'm reading this right, this is just a launcher that connects people to an online gambling website where you buy in with real cash? Seems kinda... odd... to see this kind of stuff on Steam.

it's the normal full tilt client you can download from their website, it doesn't connect to an online website nor is there gambling.. it's like a f2p game where you get x number of chips a day or something, or have the option to buy more to play more

there is no real gambling

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You guys gotta admit the fact that Toro doesn't support PSVR is pretty bullshit and is the only reason I am not buying it.

it's the normal full tilt client you can download from their website, it doesn't connect to an online website nor is there gambling.. it's like a f2p game where you get x number of chips a day or something, or have the option to buy more to play more

there is no real gambling

Yeah, the major difference here is that with gambling you have the possibility of getting money.

Full Tilt cuts out the middleman and just takes your money.

Hektor

Already at 9 finished games for the 52 games a year challenge. I'm going to do it!

A lot of them are, just surprised to see so many of them recently.

That's because Games Workshop is giving out the licence to pretty much everyone who wants to use it, nowadays.

Dr Dogg

I need another update on who has posted in every Steam thread so far.

Right so I went and dug out the 25th OT Steam Spectacular Thread and here was the list of posted in every Steam thread up to that pount (was July 14 up to then)
Posted in every single previous Steam thread (Past 24 threads) said:
Aaron
Alien8
animlboogy
ArjanN
arts&crafts
Baha
Bluth54
Buttonbasher
crimsonheadGCN
Danj
drizzle
Firehead
Fox318
Htown
JaseC
jaundicejuice
Kifimbo
morningbus
mrgone
Nabs
NIN90
SalsaShark
Sinatar
Stallion Free
Stumpokapow
Volcynika

If you adjust that with the data I gathered up from 2015 that just leaves
arts&crafts
Fox318
JaseC
Kifimbo
morningbus
mrgone
Nabs
SalsaShark
Stallion Free
Stumpokapow

Of course there's still the threads from July 2014 through to December 2014 to account for (and possible name changes since the July 14 OT) if any of those above didn't post in them but the field is getting shorter.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Right so I went and dug out the 25th OT Steam Spectacular Thread and here was the list of posted in every Steam thread up to that pount (was July 14 up to then)

If you adjust that with the data I gathered up from 2015 that just leaves

Of course there's still the threads from July 2014 through to December 2014 to account for (and possible name changes since the July 14 OT) if any of those above didn't post in them but the field is getting shorter.

Nice. Just 9 people to go.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Homefront: The Revolution's updates to co-op will be "new missions, wrapped in [their] own narrative story"

Lucky Phil, as we call him, got to play Homefront: The Revolution's co-op recently. He enjoyed it rather more than he was expecting and is all for more. That's exactly what Dambuster Studios intend to provide after launch, with a year of support promised for the game, both single-player and co-op. Sitting down with Fasahat Salim, game designer on the project, Phil found out just what that DLC for Resistance Mode will be like.

"Our co-op plans are to provide free content and that's exactly what we're going to do." says Salim, "We're not creating mission packs or mp packs, we're just creating new missions, wrapped in [their] own narrative story as we have for the others. As soon as we create the mission, we launch it into the game so people can start interacting with it straight away. That's basically the plan for the next 12 months after release."

A good goal, and one that should keep the community more interested than if it was just some slap-dash objectives with no involvement, or a hold-out horde mode update. Phil also asked about how this was being handled internally, whether a special team was set up to handle the co-op, while other did the single-player DLC, but that's not how Dambuster works.

"To be honest, we've got a co-op team but at the same time a lot of people [who] have been working on the single player campaign [are] now working on the coop," explains Salim, "as we get closer to release we share more resources so we share our art team, our designers, our coders. We all sort of jump in and jump out of the co-op. So we're not really building a team to focus on coop, we're basically treating [it] mission by mission and content by content, steadily drip feeding the whole thing."

It certainly seems to be working. Want to see the co-op mode in action? Here's the newly released trailer, which makes the shooting and exploring and moving around look rather good while still managing to have the worst voice over I have ever heard in a videogame.

Just be slightly less serious while explaining that North Korea has invaded the USA, please, that's all I ask. The trailer comes with news that Dambuster are planning to release a full twenty extra missions over the first year on top of the twelve already in place on launch. Those are all going to be free too, making sure the community isn't split ala Titanfall and co.

I'll admit that between Phil's preview and having seen a bit more of what the game has to offer, I'm starting to warm to the second Homefront game. It's hardly reaching day one purchase territory, but it seems to have fought through its non-stellar prequel and endless financial troubles to come out the other side a reasonable-looking videogame. Frankly I'm still surprised it exists at all. Hopefully it makes the best of it come May.

Jawmuncher

Review Thing (Spoiler Free)
Just beat The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Took me about 31 hours to complete the game with a sample size of the side quests. So for those who don't know TiTs is a JRPG made by falcolm. The same studio well known for the Ys series. I felt the game was very reminiscent of NICHE PSX era RPGs with some more modern trappings in it to make things easier. Such as a difficulty selector and being able to save anywhere (aside from cut-scenes & battles). The game even auto save's while playing in case you ever needed to go further back for whatever reason. The battle system is grid based and turn based. I haven't exactly played a JRPG like that before this so it's hard to compare it to anything I know of. It's not too crazy to understand however. You move around the battle space to hit enemies, and if they're out of reach you just move closer to them. Certain spells and attacks can hit more than one enemy so long as they're in the attacks radius. Spells however take two turns to be cast in most cases and will use EP (mana points). With the speed depending on numerous factors (sometimes you can prepare a spell and the next ordering will have you cast). The battle order I would compare to FFX's side bar. Which lets you know who will be going next. This however can be manipulated if you have enough points to use your special which is tied to CP (Think FF7 limit Break). You fill this bar from attacking or getting attacked. It can either be saved to 100 (Or even 200 for a stronger version) for a special attack or can be used to cast arts which are special moves that takes away from the CP bar. The cool thing about the special attack is that it can be used at any time. So you can attack and then use the CP right after that attack, or maybe unleash before you think the enemy might attack and kill you (which resets the CP to 0). It adds a nice little layer of planning to the overall system. In addition to that the Quartz system (Which reminded me of FF7s Materia) was nice to mess around with. Enemies drop numerous types of quartz which can then be used tobuy Orbal Quartz that have different functions (Such as Attack 1 which boosts attacks and gives you a fire attack). Which can be mixed and match to unlock other sorts of spells and attributes.
The big draw to the game is by far it's story. While it still runs into some typical JRPG tropes, the majority of it is handled quite well. As you progress it really feels like the world world around these character's grow. It was interesting to go back to towns and talk to people about what I had just accomplished. Rather than seeing some typical NPC chats. It adds a lot of flavor to the game as do the character's themselves. I was very impressed how interested I was in these character's and the relationships they developed (Especially for the main two protagonist's Estelle and Joshua). It was a major driving factor in wanting to see what the story held for them. If you ask anyone who has played it, the character's are usually what is remembered most and for good reason. I might not have talked about the story much, but I really don't want to spoil it for anyone. Since it's by far the best part about the game. However I do have some complaint's with the biggest being related to the battle system which can feel a tad slow (wish there was a 2x speed option or something). Aside from that if you're not doing side-quests (Or not many), you'll be playing with a bit of a tight wallet. Also dungeons can get a bit confusing with the free camera (Since there is no map), even with the compass present. So it's best to keep it always pointed north. With all of that out of the way I really enjoyed the game and it's a easy recommend at $20 with it being even easier at $10 (Which is it's usual sale's price). I'll be starting on chapter 2 sometime soon, since i'm very interested in seeing where this story goes.

Performance: I had some weird stuttering at random places on the game, but I was too lazy to look into the cause. Which I am sure could have been fixed with some tinkering. The port itself is solid and aside from some random UI elements, most of it scales quite well at least to 1080p which is what I played at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom