• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

I just hope Blow won't put The Witness into a bundle 3 months down the road (yeah it's a 40$ game, but you never know).
He did better than most indies by not doing a 1:1 price conversion (this already makes me want to just go and grab the game), so I hope he won't stumble on the next step.

Indie developers kinda do devalue their games at an alarmingly fast rate and as much as I love getting lots of games for cheap, I do feel they need to take a step back and stop the mad rush to the bottom a lot of them engage in.

I think he already said he'd keep the price for a while. I assume this also includes not putting it on some bundle.
I think the only way he'd do that is if the game flopped, but it doesn't appear it did.

Maybe it's just that I'm tired, but this writing is making everything harder to register. Probably gets better as you get used to it, maybe.

Edit: And I just dies. Came across some sort of fish and I chose to fight when I probably should have run. I literally just left port, too, lol.

Some of those fish really suck.

And I dunno that Sunless Sea's world is meant to be fully understood as much as it is appreciated. It's a weird game.

Catshade

I just hope Blow won't put The Witness into a bundle 3 months down the road (yeah it's a 40$ game, but you never know).
He did better than most indies by not doing a 1:1 price conversion (this already makes me want to just go and grab the game), so I hope he won't stumble on the next step.

Indie developers kinda do devalue their games at an alarmingly fast rate and as much as I love getting lots of games for cheap, I do feel they need to take a step back and stop the mad rush to the bottom a lot of them engage in.

The way he treated Braid, I'm pretty sure it'll be a long time before we see The Witness in a bundle.

Deques

What the hell is this?

9GZojF1.png

Does Humble now checks your library if you have the game already? How come it doesn't check other games too? I got several games in the first tier, but they aren't marked as owned

Ludens

Banned
I think I did a very good deal: I took a used PS4 from Amazon Warehouse, total 125€ (with my brother, so basically 67€ each) but it comes with a 2 years warranty.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
The Division Season Pass includes three expansions and some freebies

Ubisoft says it has a “complete post-launch plan” for Tom Clancy's The Division, the upcoming open-world RPG/shooter, which includes free updates, new features, and a trio of “major expansions” that will make up the Season Pass.

The first expansion, Underground, “opens a new territory to players as they explore the uncharted underworld of New York City.” I'm guessing subways will be involved somehow. The second, Survival, turns the entire map into a Dark Zone—Dark Zones being the competitive PvP element of the game, which stands separate from the main campaign and has its own progression system. Finally, there's Last Stand, details of which will be announced later.

Owners of The Division Season Pass will also unlock a sawed-off shotgun sidearm and receive “exclusive” outfits and weapon skins, and get special “monthly benefits” like special content drops and events. The cost of the Season Pass wasn't revealed, but the standard edition of the game is $60/£40, while the Gold Edition, which includes the Season Pass, is $100 and apparently not available on Steam in the UK, for some reason. Game has it for £65, though.

I take it that RotTR turned out to be a great port and all the worrying was unnecessary?
I'm not surprised by the Oxenfree sales. It seemed like I was literally the only person in this thread who bought it. Hopefully it works up to Swapper levels of appreciation eventually.
I'll buy it for sure, after all the recommendations from gaffers, just not right now.

It's not the telltale Game of thrones, it's the other one.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Wargame: European escalation -- MB-6CE45F57694487A5 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Pix the cat -- MB-6A632586497B9272 - Taken by Flandy. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Games of Thrones -- MB-F0BF16F7FBFA3FFE - Taken by Endruen. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Cities XL Platinum -- MB-C27A2157DC77981E - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1454055610z1.png

I don't think DDDA would have moved quite as many copies as it did if it was priced at $40 and could be gotten for $32 from GMG. Capcom priced it right for the demand that was out there.

Dr Dogg

While that says 'by March 2017' which conveniently is the end of the financial year, Mass Effect has tended to shift to the early part of the year the last two entries.

Star Wars SP when?!

It doesn't exisit yet! Despite there being job listings galore, various Visceral members stating 'Star Wars' project on their LinkedIn profiles and Amy Hennig and other senior members of the team posting a shit load of Star Wars themed pictures of their office.

I really need to play that Game of Thrones RPG at some point and Bound by Flame and finish Mars: War Logs and play that strange one with the brother and sister and their incestuous relationship. Love me some eurojank RPGs!

Go look up Bafeal's guides on YouTube. You'll learn some stuff.

The best thing about a new fighting game is that practically everyone you meet online will also suck. At least for the first few weeks.
Eh. Just got off of Counter Strike so I doubt I'll be putting in a ton of effort into learning a new competitive game. Bummed the one character I did decide to stick with in 4 is a season pass character.

dex3108

While that says 'by March 2017' which conveniently is the end of the financial year, Mass Effect has tended to shift to the early part of the year the last two entries.

It doesn't exisit yet! Despite there being job listings galore, various Visceral members stating 'Star Wars' project on their LinkedIn profiles and Amy Hennig and other senior members of the team posting a shit load of Star Wars themed pictures of their office.

I think that we will see something on E3. At least teaser.

Adry9

Thanks for the warning, but fortunately it's not a problem for me. :p
My wife is actually the one who is playing the game. She prefers kb/m for games so I'm basically just sitting beside here pushing the screenshot button on my xbox controller.
Can you map the screenshot button there? :0

Lain

Earlier today I was made aware that wanting certain games to be also sold on Steam equals to wanting Valve to have a monopoly.
That not wanting to have to deal with more accounts than necessary is lazy. That one should care about the profits of publishers and distributors. That competition comes out of which games aren't available from specific storefronts, not from the quality of the service being offered by specific storefronts.

This got me to ponder a question: is it legit to prefer to keep a unified library of games instead of needing different clients AND account? Wanting to get Steam keys for a purchase is mere fanboy-ism or just a show of preference for a client one likes and that links him/her to his/her community?

Are we funding Valve's monopoly over PC gaming by buying all our Steam games from Nuveem, Amazon, GMG, GamersGate, WinGameStore, GamesRepublic et all?

Wok

I think I have a problem. I'm realizing that I kind of give myself two separate budgets for spending money on video games.

One budget is for games I want to play right now. Typically a new or recent release. I am very cheap when it comes to these games. I won't spend $60, but maybe $20-$40 depending on the game and how badly I want to play it.

Then there are bundles. Games that sometimes I have no intention of every playing. Sometimes the bundle might have a game that I might try at some point but lets be realistic, the chances are usually pretty low. I'm willing to spend $3-5 on these bundles. Maybe up to $10 if there is a game I know I will play immediately.

Here is the "problem", for the latter scenario I don't really give myself a budget. I mean, if 5-6 good bundles come out in a month I will buy all of them without even really thinking about it. That is say $15-$30 depending on the month.

For the first scenario, the games I will actually play, I hem and haw (larrydavid.gif) over how much I am willing to spend. If I just cut out the bundles except for games I know I want to play immediately I could probably worry less about how much I am spending on the games I know I want to play.

Anyone else have this problem (or did I just describe 75% of SteamGAF memebers)?

That's a lot of us

I think you probably just described 75% of SteamGAF, yeah.

I've done the same type of thing when it comes to bundles lately. :)

I actually managed to stop buying games

apparently you folk are talking about the dilema im facing

I'm doing an experiment this year

Yes. I noticed this last year when keeping tracks of my spendings on videogames (due to the money sink that Dota2 was for me). This year, I have been strong so far and I try to spend money on games I want, plus the monthly subscription to Humble Monthly. I think there is a lot of value in Humble Monthly, despite the obvious drawbacks for a gamer who already owns a lot of games. It is my way of trying to be strong and say no to Dota2 and random indie bundles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom