• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
-Overall-

Game was received much better than anticipated. It was played a bit more than I expected as well, though didn't get any huge media attention and is still a more niche thing. Have received some very kind words and messages on the game, via emails, on social feeds, on other freeware sites the game is available on. I have two other freebie experiment games coming to Steam soon, so see how those fair in comparison to CYE.

That's awesome, thank you so much for sharing your insights on this. I wish more developers wrote about their post-launch experiences like this because it's a good way for others who are interested in doing something like this to have realistic expectations of performance.

Congratulations on your success!

mp1990

Banned
I'm guessing it's the piracy one, where many said Blow shouldn't have released it on PC.

I'm looking for words to describe how much i hate that thread, but hyperboles won't be enough for it. I accept gifs suggestions.

By the way, just listened to my first Giant Bombcast (started with the GB's GOTY 2015 one, mind you) and these guys are pretty good! English not being my primary language complicates things a bit, but i'll go the extra mile for this.

Bowlie

Banned
I'm looking for words to describe how much i hate that thread, but hyperboles won't be enough for it. I accept gifs suggestions.

By the way, just listened to my first Giant Bombcast (started with the GB's GOTY 2015 one, mind you) and these guys are pretty good! English not being my primary language complicates listening to it, but i'll go the extra mile for this.

This may be a long shot, but
eu acho que te vi algumas vezes pelo Jogabilidade c: É um bom jeito de ficar praticando a escuta e aprender vocabulário; é o que eu faço. Mas isso não tem nada a ver com o tópico aqui.

---

Wow, congrats, Dusk!

tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard
Cards Alert
tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard

Russian Horror Story got cards.

Ludens

Banned
Another thread about the piracy.
Well, EVERY game got pirated, EVERY single game.
I doubt people are pirating The Witness more than Fallout 4, AC Syndacate or mainstream titles, anyway. And not all pirates would buy your game just because they actually download it, some will just delete it after two minutes or so.

The only way to fight piracy is providing good contents, that's all. And even by doing so, there will be always pirates anyway.

Also selling almost 30k within 3 days, well, I think it's VERY good, considering the game costs 38€ and it's not a 15€ game like Braid was.

So I really don't understand Blow's rant, honestly.

Dr Dogg

You probably know this already but CA can be turned off in the settings.

I have a question about this game. I started playing it with a friend in my party and we did the first mission which is basically to trek to the railway station that acts as your hub. Once we got there though we got sent to separate instances. Is the hub supposed to be like that? Single player thing where you upgrade it on your own? And you can only party up with people outside it when you go on missions?

Thankfully it was one of the first thing I attended to when the game let me in to the menus. Seriously devs please, don't auto select settings before giving you a 3-5 minute unskippable scene before you can scale things back. The intro was running for me at about 7fps.

But yeah your Base of Operations is instanced solely for you. I think there's even a tool tip saying any changes you make will only be seen by you. There are social spaces like the one you start off at in other various points that you can run into other players but you can always squad up with peeps other than your own Base.So you can just freeroam around the map, do story missions or go into the Dark Zone and it's all seemless.

rKp8PF2.png
Oh wow, sorry for responding to a three day old post. Yeah, I kinda forgot the Steam community thread existed. Always neglect to check the community tab, unfortunately.

I'll just keep this in my subscriptions.

Ha! Well the thread may be exiled to community but at least it's not forgotten (well completely).

I don't understand the rationale of anti-PC people. IF the witness did not come out on PC do you think those 30,000 sales (in the first 3 days) would be on the PS4? I would say maybe 500 to 1000 more PS4 sales and 0 PC sales aka $1,000,000 loss. Now do you think it lost future PS4 sales to PC pirating? That makes no sense. If someone is spending 400 on a PS4 why would they pirate a game on PC.

/rant

Also I think Blow over exaggerates everything. I am sure he will make a healthy profit on this game. I bought it and love it for the record.

Shantom

I don't understand the rationale of anti-PC people. IF the witness did not come out on PC do you think those 30,000 sales (in the first 3 days) would be on the PS4? I would say maybe 500 to 1000 more PS4 sales and 0 PC sales aka $1,000,000 loss. Now do you think it lost future PS4 sales to PC pirating? That makes no sense. If someone is spending 400 on a PS4 why would they pirate a game on PC.
Yes, because PS4 is a beast.

I regret ever posting in that Witness thread.

:smh:

Just because someone owns a "$400 PS4" doesn't mean they're going to run out and buy every game they can pirate instead, especially if it's a $40 release and they're unsure if they'll like it. The "logic" of some of the posters in here is just ridiculous.

The only way to ensure that a PS4 owner is going to buy The Witness on PS4 is if the person ONLY owns a PS4. And even in that case, it goes back to Stump's post about price stratification and the ensuing discussion with Teggy.

RobNBanks

Banned

/rant

Also I think Blow over exaggerates everything. I am sure he will make a healthy profit on this game. I bought it and love it for the record.

The rationale is easy.

"Look at this amazing PS4 exclusive!!"

No one gives a fuck about sales.

Just because someone owns a "$400 PS4" doesn't mean they're going to run out and buy every game they can get for free, especially if it's a $40 release. The "logic" of some of the posters in here is just ridiculous.

Well the majority of consumers that have a PS4 propably dont have a gaming PC so they can't get a game for free. The witness can run on most PCs so in this case it is possible, but AAA titles cannot. Maybe my logic isnt sound but I stand by my belief that PC + PS4 release will make more money than just a PS4 release which are the comments I was addressing.

fantomena

Lolololol, MS dropped the Tomb Raider Rise price point from 549 NOK (I think it was previous) to 409 NOK and with the added 11% off it takes the game down to 362 NOK.

Early Win 10 store buyers must be pissed. Not sure if this only happened to the Norwegian Win 10 Store though.

So in other words, early buyers payed 130 aka 14€ too much by buying it early.

Ludens

Banned

Just because someone owns a "$400 PS4" doesn't mean they're going to run out and buy every game they can pirate instead, especially if it's a $40 release and they're unsure if they'll like it. The "logic" of some of the posters in here is just ridiculous.

The only way to ensure that a PS4 owner is going to buy The Witness on PS4 is if the person ONLY owns a PS4. And even in that case, it goes back to Stump's post about price stratification and the ensuing discussion with Teggy.

Regarding Blow and the price of his games:

-official site 20$ http://braid-game.com/
-Steam 15€ http://store.steampowered.com/app/26800/?l=italian
-Humble 9.50€ https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/braid_storefront?hmb_source=search_bar

On console:

PS3 https://store.playstation.com/#!/it-it/giochi/braid/cid=EP4049-NPEB00150_00-BRAID00000000001 9.99€

360 http://marketplace.xbox.com/it-IT/Product/Braid/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584108ce 9.50€

This dude can't price his titles in the same way above all platforms, it seems, so The Witness is a step on the right direction.

Please support the Sony Playstation 4™, the All in One Entertainment System with 50% less piracy than PC. Game sharing is a feature, not piracy!

I see what you're trying to do, but it doesn't work quite right.

So let me try it...

Please support Valve's Steam™ service, the All in One PC digital download service with 50% less piracy. Family sharing is a feature, not piracy!

Yup. Seems about right.

zkylon

zkylewd
let's be real here

family sharing sux

Ucchedavāda;193654161 said:
A quick question about The Witness, as I am afraid to venture into the OT out of fear of learning too much: How much (environmental) story-telling is there in the game? I think I'd enjoy the puzzles, but if the game doesn't do anything interesting with the island itself, then I think I'd rather spend the money on (several) other, more low-fi puzzle-games.
just saw this post

it's kinda hard to answer

there's audiologs and you'll find like "corpses" and stuff but it's no bioshock

you won't be piecing together scenes or situations, you'll just somewhere, say "that's pretty", then look for panels and that's kind of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom