• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
cotd_email_1409233918_1381637399_00032.jpg

I would have never guessed.

I didn't expect 35€ for Bombshell.

y9d8w.jpg

family sharing is awesome. it's not for the weak.

Origin does family sharing better.

let's be real here

family sharing sux
Is it really? Sure, not being able to play the same game at the same time, scratch playing any game from one library is not optimal but when you have a small group of non-addicts who talk a tiny little bit with each other and buy games at a similar ratio, it sounds very good.

Anyhow, I wouldn't know for sure since I never done it.

mp1990

Banned
This may be a long shot, but
eu acho que te vi algumas vezes pelo Jogabilidade c: É um bom jeito de ficar praticando a escuta e aprender vocabulário; é o que eu faço. Mas isso não tem nada a ver com o tópico aqui.

---

Wow, congrats, Dusk!

Well, that was unexpected!

Acho que você é a primeira pessoa que me reconhece do Jogabilidadem até onde eu saiba eles nunca me deram RT nem nada no twitter. Mas sim, ajuda bastante, o problema é que eu quase nunca ouço podcast sem ser jogando algo ou coisa do tipo, então é bem complicado de dividir minha atenção entre as duas coisas quando o podcast é em ingles.

Some might have had a good experience, but it's been hell every time I have gotten with CS about anything.

Sony CS has been mostly good to me in the past. Though I did have a hell of a fiasco with them when it came to how they used to handle what steam calls subs when you owned a game within the sub. I fought tooth and nail with them over that practice and eventually got calls from people in Sony corporate. :lol

So if you ever owned a piece of DLC on PSN and wanted to buy the "season pass" type content, you can now.

Is it really? Sure, not being able to play the same game at the same time, scratch playing any game from one library is not optimal but when you have a small group of non-addicts who talk a tiny little bit with each other and buy games at a similar ratio, it sounds very good.

Anyhow, I wouldn't know for sure since I never done it.

Addict?
That's it. I'm glad you died in Rhaknar's game.

Funny the turn that my mention of family sharing took... I only brought it up because CrimsonClaw took at shot at Sony's gameshare (which is really just supposed to be used if you own more than 1 PS4/PS3/Vita/PSP) and family sharing is very similar, but less restrictive.

I don't know the details about some of the way some of the people who use family sharing in here have it set up, but I do recall at least one poster seeing new games release and hoping that his/her friend/family would get them so they could play them without paying for them essentially. If that person is usually on the receiving end of the "JaseC of the group" as someone called it, it's a lot more like piracy than gamesharing -- far and away. That was my point.

Only smart thing I seen in that Witness thread is the suggestion of releasing some kind of demo.

That would be smart. Though the demo for Braid lead to me losing interest in it and not buying it, eventually getting the game through one of the humble bundles, I think.

Doesn't Steam 'basically' do that by allowing you to refund within a couple hours of the game being played?

If by "basically" you mean "play up to 2 hours of the game for $40 which we'll give you back, probably, within a week, should you decide you don't like it.", then sure. They basically do that.

Only smart thing I seen in that Witness thread is the suggestion of releasing some kind of demo.

whats there in a video that you would need from a demo, though? I saw the giant bomb quick look and knew what to expect, for example.

outside of seeing how it runs on your rig and wondering if the game will cause motion sickness, both things that if youre really interested in you can check out safely within steam's 2 hour refund policy

Origin has family sharing? Wut?

Basically if someone else logs into your account, you are placed into offline mode and virtually all your Origin games will launch and work.To get it back, you just have to click go online and it reverses the online mode of the shared computer. Also Origin can stay in offline mode virtually forever.

Steam allows you to share your library with another steam account but that locks you out of everything and if you go into offline mode, family sharing is stopped.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
MS seems to allow it if you ask. At least easier than Sony anyway.

My own personal anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise. For example, I might be entering into legal arbitration with Microsoft support in an attempt to get my account back and this has been going on since 2008. Meanwhile Tales from the Borderlands went on sale on PSN for a few bucks cheaper than it was previously on sale for, and after 5 minutes with Playstation support I had a customer loyalty voucher that was tantamount to me getting the game for free.

Obviously both are behind Steam when it comes to refunding digital purchases so your individual results may vary.

Ludens

Banned
Well that actually honestly helped me. It probably helps that it targeted what I was doing wrong right away but here's the first attempt after watching which is still pretty sloppy but way better than anything I've done before. It ended up being Flonne from Disgaea for some reason.

Very good!

Bombshell Deluxe Edition is about 15$ on Nuuvem. You need a VPN to buy it though.

I actually bought it without thinking too much about it... that probably wasn't such a good idea.

Ludens

Banned
Bombshell Deluxe Edition is about 15$ on Nuuvem. You need a VPN to buy it though.

I actually bought it without thinking too much about it... that probably wasn't such a good idea.

I'm seeing mixed reviews for the game on Steam :S

Nuveem is also hosting a nice Deep Silver sale, it seems this is for all users:

Teggy

Damn, starting to hit some roadblocks in The Witness. I'm going to stay strong for now, but 1 or 2 of these I have almost no clue what the game wants me to do.

Sometimes you're going through a string of puzzles and you are totally getting the concept and then the next one comes up and makes no sense.

If I'm in the party, I'd wager you died because you called me an addict.
LOL I didn't even give any names... but anyone managing the 52 challenge is a possible game addict or at least hardcore gamer to me ;)
I finished two games in January alone and that became one of my busiest months gaming wise.

def sim

My own personal anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise. For example, I might be entering into legal arbitration with Microsoft support in an attempt to get my account back and this has been going on since 2008. Meanwhile Tales from the Borderlands went on sale on PSN for a few bucks cheaper than it was previously on sale for, and after 5 minutes with Playstation support I had a customer loyalty voucher that was tantamount to me getting the game for free.

Obviously both are behind Steam when it comes to refunding digital purchases so your individual results may vary.

Jshack, your situation is extremely unique here come on now. :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jshack, your situation is unique here come on now.

I'm just saying the every time I've contacted Microsoft support in the past 8 years, I've been stonewalled. Every time I've contacted Playstation support it's come to a quick and amicable resolution. I do understand that my situation is unique but that doesn't make my personal experience invalid, which is why I wrote "your mileage may vary".

I will say that Steam took a massive step in the right direction by offering a "no questions asked" refund policy, and it's sad to see that it hasn't totally caught on yet with the other big players in digital game distribution.

Jawmuncher

It's funny that the PC side of things is where you can get refunds on digital goods. Considering all of the "piracy" talk. While consoles you have to go through hoops for. If they ever want complete digital systems I think refunding will need to be commonly set.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Black Soma, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Miracle Fly -- MB-730C495E7F9CE573 - Taken by mp1990. 3 entrants total.

t1454096891z1.png

I think I am not going to get SFV on release. Other than the fact that it is a 60 dollar game (which I just happen to not buy a lot of lately, not that I am doding them) I only like playing 1 character which is weird and it's even odder that it is Gief. Ill get it later I guess. Not like the population is going anywhere any time soon anyway.

Something about it is off. Then again my history with Street Fighter, despite loving fighting games overall, has not been too great SF2 was when I was young and didn't know what I was doing and then when I did get better at fighting games and went back to it that shit seemed impenetrable at least to me. Props to the pros that still wreck people in SF2 and all its versions. I liked Street Fighter 3, like all of it not just third strike. 4 I liked at first and fell off of hard after Super, didn't like what it was doing. 5 I feel is better than 4 but at the same time I don't know yet it's a lot of unknowns.

Unlike Vanilla SF4 though I don't think Ill get this the day of and let it sit for a bit and Ill think about it (Also whatever games on the horizon since I am trying to play more different games, I have been on a fighting game, almost exclusively kick for awhile now.)
Doesn't Steam 'basically' do that by allowing you to refund within a couple hours of the game being played?
I wouldn't count that as the same thing. Also I was thinking for both platforms, I mean this is the Steam thread so I get why you say that. I don't think the system should be used like that though.
I dont think a Demo would help this game, you can see how the game plays in the trailers. A demo would just be a slower version of that.

whats there in a video that you would need from a demo, though? I saw the giant bomb quick look and knew what to expect, for example.

outside of seeing how it runs on your rig and wondering if the game will cause motion sickness, both things that if youre really interested in you can check out safely within steam's 2 hour refund policy
Fair point. The Giant Bomb quick look told me what this game would be without getting too deep but just enough to make me go "Oh that's real neat."
That would be smart. Though the demo for Braid lead to me losing interest in it and not buying it, eventually getting the game through one of the humble bundles, I think.
True it could cause the opposite effect.

Mivey

I will say that Steam took a massive step in the right direction by offering a "no questions asked" refund policy, and it's sad to see that it hasn't totally caught on yet with the other big players in digital game distribution.
I feel like that is a special case, though. Clearly a refund policy in many cases introduced the possibility of lost sales (literally lost), especially when a larger game causes some sort of controversy by shitting on QA. Valve as a private company can simply argue that it maximizes customer satisfaction, but Sony as a public entity has to justify to its shareholders who care more about short term profit. And MS is just MS.

Knurek

Trails SC, why do you have so much text to read. Why?
Just get on with the story, I don't want to track down NPC #2017 to see what she has to say about the current situation. :\

Copons

Peeps, about TR RotR, I've got a performance curiosity or something.

I'm on a GTX780, playing at full max (except FXAA instead of SSAAx4), and I manage to get quite solid 45fps (except some drops here and there, but whatever) while in-game, but as soon as I jump into a cutscene, if the camera moves around too quickly I instantly drop to sub-0 values.

Is it something normal? Is there a graphic option that are reknown to help?
(like, my guess could be that the PureHair is taking a huge hit during cutscenes considering the camera is closer to Lara's head?)

Lingitiz

I'm on a GTX780, playing at full max (except FXAA instead of SXAAx2), and I manage to get quite solid 45fps (except some drops here and there, but whatever) while in-game, but as soon as I jump into a cutscene, if the camera moves around too quickly I instantly drop to sub-0 values.

(like, my guess could be that the PureHair is taking a huge hit during cutscenes considering the camera is closer to Lara's head?)

Drop textures to high, most likely? Had the same problem with my 970 with textures on very high. Dropped it down and the stuttering is gone.

Mivey

I'm on a GTX780, playing at full max (except FXAA instead of SXAAx2), and I manage to get quite solid 45fps (except some drops here and there, but whatever) while in-game, but as soon as I jump into a cutscene, if the camera moves around too quickly I instantly drop to sub-0 values.
Back+to+the+Future+Doc+Brown.jpg

I'm on a GTX780, playing at full max (except FXAA instead of SSAAx4), and I manage to get quite solid 45fps (except some drops here and there, but whatever) while in-game, but as soon as I jump into a cutscene, if the camera moves around too quickly I instantly drop to sub-0 values.

Sub-Zero values, you say? I think you might have a ninja problem...

C4rter

Tried out Sunless Sea a few minutes, holy hell at that interface. I had absolutely no idea what was going on or how anything worked. The short tutorial messages were no help either.
xVyoSl.jpg

Parsnip

That's a 3gig card right? Drop textures to high and you should be good.

Tried out Sunless Sea a few minutes, holy hell at that interface. I had absolutely no idea what was going on or how anything worked. The short tutorial messages were no help either

Same here. I'm very happy I don't want this game anymore before I bought it. Great concept... needs a rethink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom